• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Derrick01

Banned
I'm starting to encounter some glitches now. There's a long stretch of land underneath that glass roof from that section that was in AC where you can't land on it because the game treats it as water even though it's land...

Zukuu

Banned
Did every Engima challenge, all criminals, completed the game and solved every crime. Got the Riddler Trophy and now all that's left is a side missions I didn't get somehow. Who am I missing?

Enigma
Anarky
Penguin
Deadshot
Mad Hater
Bird
XXX
Shiva
Black Mask
Ah, just triggered it.

20 Prisoners that escaped Blackgate need to be re-apprehended. Seems that you need to finish all other Criminals (at least the assassins) and finish the part where Joker attacks Blackgate.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Is the multiplayer worth checking out? I haven't even glanced at it.

i think its a really cool idea, if you can get into a match without it timing out..

Basically you have:
2 people who are Batman and Robin
the rest are divided into 2 teams of thugs
These teams participate in (team deathmatch, capture the point)
The 2 peeps who are Batman and Robin go around taking thugs out and filling their Superhero meter.
At some point in the match, teams are able have one person become a supervillian (Joker or Bane) They run to a spot and can become these villians (much like Battlefront's use of famous SW characters)

Most of the games i have played have had batman and robin getting owned by the thugs and have mostly been straight deathmatch. It could be really fun with some good people i think!

strafer

I think I know what I did wrong regarding the combat, been testing some theories.

So before I just mashed the attack button and just kept going, but now I figured out if I just keep calm and focus it goes much better.

Gamechanger.

:D

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Is this worth getting? Just been hearing about the glitches and whatnot. Is the Story good?

I think the Story is a great Batman story so far because it shows batman as mysterious and most of the people he interacts with do not automatically know he is helping them. I am still early in the game though.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So I've heard this game is pretty similar to Arkham City. If I haven't played that, does it make more sense to get City instead of Origins (since it's cheaper)?

Raptomex

I beat this over the weekend and I thought it was great. I got the Wii U version. I love the combat in this series and find it addicting. I thought the story was good but then again I'm easy to please. At first it felt like a copy and paste of AC, which in many ways it still is, but that's not necessarily a bad thing since it's not the same developer from previous games. Nevertheless it was fun and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I miss Mark Hammill's Joker, though. I noticed some delayed texture pop-in here and there, I started a boss fight and immediately fell through the floor into an endless abyss and the game froze up on me twice. The checkpoints are common so I didn't lose any progress. I'm actually looking forward to playing it again once I unlock all the upgrades.

SkylineRKR

I think the Story is a great Batman story so far because it shows batman as mysterious and most of the people he interacts with do not automatically know he is helping them. I am still early in the game though.

I'd say its a worse game than City, but still a good game on its own merits. Story of this one is the best of the trilogy though, some really cool scenes in there.

So I've heard this game is pretty similar to Arkham City. If I haven't played that, does it make more sense to get City instead of Origins (since it's cheaper)?

AC was like 7 bucks on steam so you should play that. no reason not to. it was a goty for many, and its still pretty kickass from my replaythrough last week.

Something i thought i'd never say about a game, but i wish there were more QTE's. At least for all the sidequest assassins. Most of them are just thugs with more health which is kinda lame, especially if you like one of them in comics.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't know who Anarky is but I've scanned 5 of his tags so far and the stuff he's saying in them makes a lot of sense and is easily applied to the real world too. Should I be worried about that since I'm assuming he's a criminal? lol

RobbieNick

Batman vs. Electrocutioner is one of the best Batman video game moments ever.

ONE KICK! Took me totally off guard and I laughed my ass off.

I don't know who Anarky is but I've scanned 5 of his tags so far and the stuff he's saying in them makes a lot of sense and is easily applied to the real world too. Should I be worried about that since I'm assuming he's a criminal? lol

Yes.

Don't fall under his spell, Derrick. He will lead you to ruin. Stay with us. Corporations are your friends. We are here to help you. Cherish you. Nurture you. We entertain you. We keep you healthy. Safe. Peaceful. Be there for us, as we are there for you.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Wtf is with the framerate bug in this game?

After a lengthy play session, the framerate out in the city will go to shit for no reason, but when I quit the game and reload back to the same exact spot it's running fine again.

Patches needed badly.

Also, just me, or did Anarky's character design in this game look just like the bad guy from Ninja Gaiden 3? What's wrong with the V for Vendetta rip off from the comics they couldn't use that?

I got this game yesterday and put in about 4 hours so far. I LOVE IT! I find the gameplay just as good as the previous two, and the graphics and performance (at least on PC) are a step up. The story was much more interesting than I expected as well.

I usually agree with Jim Sterling's reviews, but holy shit was that review horse shit. It basically reads like "the AAA video game industry is garbage, so this game deserves to fail." I mean 3.5? That is the kind of score you give a broken ass game with very few redeeming qualities. So far I have not encountered one single glitch, and am enjoying the game every bit as much as the previous ones. Haven't played multiplayer yet though.

Splatt

Just finished the Mad Hatter mission and all I could hear was X the Eliminator from Harvey Birdman
KuGsj.gif

harvey-birdman-attorney-at-law-x-the-exterminator.jpg

"Your crest will be mine, BAT MAN!"

The
Deadshot
(assassin) side-mission encounter at the Bank was good. First time I had a game over because he used
his magic eyeball
to see me around corners which
made him shoot the hostage.

That was good tho

SJRB

Gold Member
Batman vs. Electrocutioner is one of the best Batman video game moments ever.

ONE KICK! Took me totally off guard and I laughed my ass off.

It was fucking awesome for sure. The cutscenes in Origins are top notch so far, the quality and direction is leaps better than the previous games.

The
Deadshot
(assassin) side-mission encounter at the Bank was good. First time I had a game over because he used
his magic eyeball
to see me around corners which
made him shoot the hostage.

That was good tho

hostage stuff is easily the thing i hate the most in AC games. i just hate all instant fail states in games.

the case here is bad because its literally at the end of stage, if you fuck up you gotta do it all again.

she looks... like she needs to burn off some of that baby fat or w/e is going on in the face.

I think its good to see women in games that don't look like they came out of an issue of Maxim....

Although her hair looks pretty crappy but pretty much every game this gen has had problem rendering hair.

Derrick01

Banned
Yes.

Don't fall under his spell, Derrick. He will lead you to ruin. Stay with us. Corporations are your friends. We are here to help you. Cherish you. Nurture you. We entertain you. We keep you healthy. Safe. Peaceful. Be there for us, as we are there for you.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I dunno man I think I'm going to listen to the criminal!

Have they said anything about DLC?

Only what's in the season pass. A bunch of crappy skins, a bruce wayne combat challenge map and a secret big DLC like Harley's in Arkham City. Hopefully much better designed than that.

I think its good to see women in games that don't look like they came out of an issue of Maxim....

Although her hair looks pretty crappy but pretty much every game this gen has had problem rendering hair.

but this is a comic book super hero universe. everyone needa look like they are about to fuck!

Having to walk away for a bit. Trying to get that 50 perfect combo with 15 variations is driving me to insanity. Trying to do it on the second Birdy objective and will lose it through the horrendously altered combat system. Can't dive around and build it by attacking, as I get caught out by an offbeat counter. Can't sit and counter because 1/2 the time the enemy will hold off long enough to let the combo drop. If I try to do anything to extend it from range, enemy appears behind me and again - suckerpunch.

Xellos

Finished this last night. It feels more like an Arkham City expansion than its own game, but was still enjoyable and had some nice moments. I thought the assassin fights were all pretty well done (
Electrocutioner was funny, didn't see it coming
), and some of the side quests were pretty cool too.
Hatter's was neat, as was Joker's 'red hood' sequence

Nice game, overall. NG+ is going to be tough. Enemies are much more aggressive than AC so playing without counter icons is going to be a challenge.

Carbonox

It was fucking awesome for sure. The cutscenes in Origins are top notch so far, the quality and direction is leaps better than the previous games.

Agreed. I'm also going through New Game + so watching the
Joker reveal
cutscene again was a pleasure. So fucking good.

hostage stuff is easily the thing i hate the most in AC games. i just hate all instant fail states in games.

the case here is bad because its literally at the end of stage, if you fuck up you gotta do it all again.

But it's appropriately intense. It wasn't like the assassin's abilities were ambiguous at that point. I should known a loud, inverted takedown would be "seen" by them.

Sillverrr

I have only played past the first section with Penguin, and the entailing boss fights. All I can say is, 3.5 from Jim Sterling? WTF??! Even if the game goes completely downhill from here, it's already earned more than a 3.5 in my eyes.

Yes, the gameplay is decidedly similar to previous games. One could argue that as a prequel this game was unnecessary, but that is fairly harsh. I can't stand the double-standards, where the latest CoD game gets a free pass, whilst AO has a far more interesting set of characters and story (imho), yet gets derided.

I should qualify my position by stating that I am playing on PC with a Nvidia card, and have yet to run into any serious bugs. However, I seriously doubt that anything short of a game-stopping bug would warrant a 3.5 score. Maybe it's not as polished as Rocksteady's efforts (yes, the lack of grapple points outside is noticeable), but I'd still far rather play this title than the next generic FPS game.

Dave1988

I managed to get the Worst Nightmare Rank 14 & 15 in the Firefly mission. Getting the propane KO was a total bitch. Good thing that rank 15 turned out to be increadibly easy.

Now, as I'm watching the credits roll I think I can safely say that AC is still the best Batman game in my opinion. The plethora of glitches, framerate drops due to the PS3 patch, the boring first part and the changes made to the combat system really hurt the reception of Arkham Origins in my eyes. That said, it's still a good game with standout moments (any time the Joker makes an appearance, the final mission) and near the end I finally started feeling like the goddamn Batman again. This game really shows how much love and care Rocksteady put into crafting their Batman games and that simply copy and pasting the ideas introduced in AA/AC doesn't work as well.

Overall, I think I'd give this game an 8 out of 10 because the last stretch of the game really improved my opinion of the game. It's not up to AA/AC quality but I guess I'll have to wait for Rocksteady's next-gen Batman game for that.

Brilliant. Just finished the
Enigma
stuff. Nothing like a little bit of fanservice (please don't click the link unless you already read the spoiler tagged name and you don't mind!) Click

Also absolute no joke, for the first time about 32 hours of gameplay, the game crashed right after I took this pic haha. Looks like he got the last laugh.

Nephrahim

Brilliant. Just finished the
Enigma
stuff. Nothing like a little bit of fanservice (please don't click the link unless you already read the spoiler tagged name and you don't mind!) Click

Also absolute no joke, for the first time about 32 hours of gameplay, the game crashed right after I took this pic haha. Looks like he got the last laugh.

Better payoff then the Riddler stuff in AC then? I was really underwhelmed by it.

KHlover

Banned
Just finished the mission in the Hotel. Holy shit. Arkham Origins might just be the best game I've played this year. This mission has a perfect mix of stealth, open combat, exploration and exposition. Arkham Origins is criminally underrated.

Better payoff then the Riddler stuff in AC then? I was really underwhelmed by it.

Haha uhhh, in a way it's less than the payoff in AC, but in a way, it's more if that makes sense haha? It's much simpler than what you get in AC, but brilliant in its own way. Sadly the achievement list spoils what it is, so keep away from that if you haven't spotted it yet. I'd have been even more impressed if I hadn't saw that.

So everytime I load the game, Batman starts falling through the world with seemingly no way to avoid it. Tried restarting, reloading, and even flying to the end of the play area (where I got a death screen and reloaded into the void again). Pretty sure my save is fucked but has anyone had any luck with this bug? I really don't want to restart...
But yeah, needless to say, this game doesn't have anywhere near the amount of polish of the Rocksteady games. Shame..

Edit: Nevermind, I remember I have CheatEngine installed for shit like this (Bethesda games). Crisis averted. +1 PC Gaming

Dave1988

Brilliant. I've completed all the Dark Knight System challenges but the skins that I've unlocked don't show up in the Batcave. All this work, and this had to glitch out on me.

In-fucking-credible.

Top Bottom