• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

DukeBobby

Just finished the mission in the Hotel. Holy shit. Arkham Origins might just be the best game I've played this year. This mission has a perfect mix of stealth, open combat, exploration and exposition. Arkham Origins is criminally underrated.

(Mid-late game spoiler)
And that Joker part after the Bane fight...so good.

Where abouts? I know at one point it glitches up to 90%, then drops back down to 72%.

After the hotel part. It was 52% before that.

Ephemeris

Ephemeris: Gotham Protector.

What was your first Dark Knight System Mastery? I thought for sure it would be Shadow Vigilante but I hit a wall on Crit strikes

Nephrahim

Shadow Vigilante

I hit a wall on all of them mid-game and stopped perusing them for a while. Then a few minitues before the end I broke through my wall on Vigilante and just finished them all in the next few fights.

What was your first Dark Knight System Mastery? I thought for sure it would be Shadow Vigilante but I hit a wall on Crit strikes

The Gotham Protector I think. Hit shadow vigilante after a massive wall through the whole mid section of the game, before I realised I didn't even have critical strikes haha. Kind of disappointed the way the % one went, it just gave it to me after finishing the story, then checking and seeing rank 15 was only 66%, you'd think it'd be effectively everything to max that one. Just worst nightmare to go, I had no idea til the end that I would get stuck in terms of places to do it, so need to NG+

About how much I got left? Just
entered blackgate again after Bane.

Not much!

Ephemeris

Black Mask went about this all wrong.

You could hire 5 thousand snipers at 10k a piece and set them all over gotham.

That's how you kill the bat.

/hatessnipers.

RPGCrazied

Wow, you can actually unlock skins in the game and not DLC? I saw it on gamefaqs so it could be fake.

Just got the game in the mail!

Slermy

I loved Arkham Asylum, it was my GotY.
I was very disappointed by Arkham City (did not care for the story (quantity of villains felt forced, also hated the ending), thought there were too many Riddler challenges, and felt the open world mechanic was poor with the GIANT OBSTRUCTION in the middle of the map).

Do you guys think I'll like this?

RPGCrazied

Is this true?

Gamefaqs user:

The Knightfall pack (available for free on PSN) gives you the Knightfall costume and the classic Adam West costume. Also, completing Enigma and Most Wanted unlocks the New 52 and Noel skins. Completing the Dark Knight database unlocks the Dark Knight suit and earning every medal in challenge maps unlocks the Injustice skin.

pelican

I've tried....I really have, but I just can't make myself care to even finish the main story arc.

Maybe I will return to it at some point in the future, but for now Origins is destined to remain at 7% trophy completion on my PS3.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Was was the one glitch people kept reporting? I think it happened to me, as I don't see a way to do this one tower by the police department.

I am really liking the game but it is undeniably rough around the edges.

Carbonox

Is this true?

Gamefaqs user:

Well I have the Knightfall, Noel (what the fuck is Noel) and Adam West skins already. Plus the Dark Knight database in the select screen mentions unlocking a Dark Knight skin if you complete whatever is required.

Guess the rest sounds real enough.

My question is - is the Dark Knight skin mentioned THE Dark Knight skin from the Nolan film or something else?

Psykoboy2

Question for people who found all the Enigma Data Handlers. So, I'm sitting at 19/20 Enigma Data Handlers and I'm 90% done with the story. Does the last guy appear after a specific point in the story that I haven't reached yet or did it glitch out on me? I still have locked datapacks in Extortion Tape 12 so I'm assuming that the guy has yet to appear on the map but I'd like to have some imput from people that interrogated all of the handlers whether or not this is a glitch or if it's supposed to be this way. .

I have one more to find as well, and when I mark him on the map and go to the marker...he isn't there. No one's there actually. This is in the industrial district of the map, near the Steel Mill.

Anyone else run into this?

RPGCrazied

Well I have the Knightfall, Noel (what the fuck is Noel) and Adam West skins already. Plus the Dark Knight database in the select screen mentions unlocking a Dark Knight skin if you complete whatever is required.

Guess the rest sounds real enough.

My question is - is the Dark Knight skin mentioned THE Dark Knight skin from the Nolan film or something else?

It's true. I've got the Noel and new 52 skins already ha. I really freaking miss the batman inc skin though, my skin of choice in Ac. Liked the beyond skin every now and again too. Lucky his suit is amazing in this.

That's really cool of them. Miss the days of unlocking stuff in games and not buying them for even more money. I wish you could have done that with Arkham City.

Zukuu

Banned
Is this true?

Gamefaqs user:

i unlocked the noel skin upon beating the game. dunno about the other one, but i have all enigma challenges and will check later if that's unlokced as well.

I'd have loved to change my batsuit to the sam model but not broken. It's ridculous how many tears and holes the cape has and he can still fly. >_> it's more "nothing" than there is cape lol.

i unlocked the noel skin upon beating the game. dunno about the other one, but i have all enigma challenges and will check later if that's unlokced as well.

I'd have loved to change my batsuit to the sam model but not broken. It's ridculous how many tears and holes the cape has and he can still fly. >_> it's more "nothing" than there is cape lol.
I do dig that his suit isn't really ripped anymore. It had sooo many blade marks on the gauntlets lol.

Ein Bear

It's really awesome how they've made costumes unlockable, instead of just locking them all behind bullshit retailer-exclusive pre-order DLC, like City did.

I mean, there's still some DLC stuff, but at least the base game isn't completely vanilla this time round. Arkham City might have been the single worst misuse of DLC this whole generation.

Dave1988

Hey Ephemeris, check if you have access to the suit in the Batcave. I cleared the Dark Knight System challenges but I only got the Dark Knight skin. Gotham Protector, Shadow Vigilante, Worst Nightmare, and World's Greatest Detective are missing for the Batcave.

Also, The Dark Knight suit is just the regular Batsuit only all black and with an orange belt. The damage you sustain throught the story is reflected on it but the cape remains undamaged.

strafer

I find it funny that the Database dudes never say the locations.

Batman just asks.
Dude says okay.
*snap*

And they appear on the map. >.<

I find it funny that the Database dudes never say the locations.

Batman just asks.
Dude says okay.
*snap*

And they appear on the map. >.<

It was like that with Riddler stuff in AC. Guess they didn't want/couldn't figure out how to have them actually tell you where all the crap is.

Gator86

I played the last two games and loved them but I'm hating this one so far. The combat seems like there's input lag or frame rate drops constantly. It just feels sloppier somehow.

erawsd

I loved Arkham Asylum, it was my GotY.
I was very disappointed by Arkham City (did not care for the story (quantity of villains felt forced, also hated the ending), thought there were too many Riddler challenges, and felt the open world mechanic was poor with the GIANT OBSTRUCTION in the middle of the map).

Do you guys think I'll like this?

Honestly, this is basically Arkham City with a new story and locations. All the other changes are incredibly superficial. For instance, instead of riddler trophies you collect "Extortion data" using identical methods. There are no Riddler rooms or environment riddlers though. Other side missions are the same type of thing... instead of Titan containers, you look for barrels of drugs to destroy. Instead of having to quickly reach a ringing phone, you have to quickly locate bombs. ect, ect...

That said the story is good, and the boss battles are one thing that stands above the other Arkham games... though I did feel that they both (story and bosses) fell apart at the very end, my guess is WB cracked the whipped and they had to rush it.

Slermy

Honestly, this is basically Arkham City with a new story and locations. All the other changes are incredibly superficial. For instance, instead of riddler trophies you collect "Extortion data" using identical methods. There are no Riddler rooms or environment riddlers though. Other side missions are the same type of thing... instead of Titan containers, you look for barrels of drugs to destroy. Instead of having to quickly reach a ringing phone, you have to quickly locate bombs. ect, ect...

That said the story is good, and the boss battles are one thing that stands above the other Arkham games... though I did feel that they both (story and bosses) fell apart at the very end, my guess is WB cracked the whipped and they had to rush it.

Hmmm... thanks for the input. I might wait for it to drop in price a little bit before picking it up then.

Man, this game is chock-full of bugs and glitches, it borders with unbelievable for me (and I thought AssCreed 3 will be the buggiest game I've encountered in last couple of years). As everyone else, I can't access Burnley comm tower, but hey, no biggie, I don't even use fast travel (even though I can't finish Enigma quest chain now, eh?). And, luckily, I didn't even have those corrupt saves. But wonky camera (just ruined nice combo after it didn't turn correctly when I countered blade attack), invisible enemy (just beat 99/100 enemies in that DLC challenge map, and last one was nowhere to be seen), wonky physics (enemies flying up in the air after getting kicked in the sewer challenge map), wonky grappling hook, and let's not even mention damn multiplayer, which I couldn't even access so far (PC version here), and I tried on multiple occasions. And add to that new skill unlock system which locks some skills behind side quests (ok in theory, but I didn't quite like it in practice; read as: I missed my weapon disarm move), and even worse linear trees for other skills you buy with XP points.

At least story was really nice, new enemy types too, as was the other new combat stuff. Boss fights were ok, but I was expecting more stealth boss encounters after WBGM saying they're inspired by Freeze fight from Arkham City.
Bane fights were the best, imho.

In short - Arkham City is still the best. Origins is good, but more of the same, with much, much more bugs, less polish, and it misses that... thing, that magic that Rocksteady games have (especially City).

erawsd

Man, this game is chock-full of bugs and glitches, it borders with unbelievable for me (and I thought AssCreed 3 will be the buggiest game I've encountered in last couple of years). As everyone else, I can't access Burnley comm tower, but hey, no biggie, I don't even use fast travel (even though I can't finish Enigma quest chain now, eh?). And, luckily, I didn't even have those corrupt saves. But wonky camera (just ruined nice combo after it didn't turn correctly when I countered blade attack), invisible enemy (just beat 99/100 enemies in that DLC challenge map, and last one was nowhere to be seen), wonky physics (enemies flying up in the air after getting kicked in the sewer challenge map), wonky grappling hook, and let's not even mention damn multiplayer, which I couldn't even access so far (PC version here), and I tried on multiple occasions. And add to that new skill unlock system which locks some skills behind side quests (ok in theory, but I didn't quite like it in practice; read as: I missed my weapon disarm move), and even worse linear trees for other skills you buy with XP points.

At least story was really nice, new enemy types too, as was the other new combat stuff. Boss fights were ok, but I was expecting more stealth boss encounters after WBGM saying they're inspired by Freeze fight from Arkham City.
Bane fights were the best, imho.

In short - Arkham City is still the best. Origins is good, but more of the same, with much, much more bugs, less polish, and it misses that... thing, that magic that Rocksteady games have (especially City).

I agree. The game is fun and def worth the $30 I got it for... however, the thing I love most about it is that it allowed Rocksteady to pump a ton of extra development time in the next game. We went from AA to AC in just two years of dev time, I cannot wait to see what we'll get with a proper cycle. That said, I would love to see Rocksteady use these character artists.

I agree. The game is fun and def worth the $30 I got it for... however, the thing I love most about it is that it allowed Rocksteady to pump a ton of extra development time in the next game. We went from AA to AC in just two years of dev time, I cannot wait to see what we'll get with a proper cycle. That said, I would love to see Rocksteady use these character artists.
Oh yeah, I love character design in Origins. Joker is amazing, both look-wise, and voice-wise (Troy Baker nails it, and even Roger Craig Smith sounds great as younger Kevin Conroy). New Bat-suit, without underwear-overlay (or however that is called), is also better than previous ones, but it works here because origin story. I'd like if Rocksteady designed something more... dunno, rigid (?) for their next game. And, pretty please, leave Superman out of my Arkhamverse.

Stealth/bat-edit: and it'd be great if Bat-suit, or at least its cape wouldn't get torn to pieces like here. After completing the main quest, it was painful to just look at it :/ Few tears or bullet holes are a nice touch, but I think they went a bit overboard here.

RPGCrazied

Played an hour. Love it. The cutscenes are really well done. I have yet to really explore the city, but it seems to run ok on PS3.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I've ran into a bug on the Mad Hatter side mission which has killed my progression stone dead. Can't progress at all.

You know, I love Miiverse and all, but..sigh..

i4iuo9F.png

There's always someone.

merrick97

Banned
I have about had it with the combat in this game. It is just too frustrating. This is coming from someone who absolutely dominated every challenge in AC.

But in Arkham Origins, I am sick of the camera constantly fucking me over by blinding me to the battlefield such that I can't see goons that I need to counter. Its at its absolute worst when trying to do a beatdown on an armored foe and can't see anyone to counter.

Its is also just plain unfair how quickly they require you to counter when you're in the middle of the battlefield and how far they can come across to hit you AND its the absolute most fucking annoying when you are in freeflow mode and then Batman jumps across the screen to hit an enemy from far away and another enemy manages to hit you before you get a chance to react to it.
Also when you come out of an instant takedown you will also have someone charging at you and can't even evade out of it.

I haven't reached a part I can't beat, but these problems really have taken the fun out of the combat.

I do hope they at least patch the camera and it would be nice if they gave some minor tweaks to the combat at least in normal and easy mode.

Here are some threads in other forums that highlight my frustrations.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/710576-batman-arkham-origins/67639761

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Sup...-developers-regarding-combat/m-p/14949#U14949

Top Bottom