• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

ezekial45

Banned
Anyone else encounter the bug in the Amusement Mile Coms Tower? I use the remote claw after the fight with the group, but the line keeps dropping Batman when he gets on.

Zukuu

Banned
After finishing everything (that wasn't unavailable due to bugs) my verdict:

AA: 7.5
AC: 9.5
AO:7

it's AC from a gameplay standpoint aka "more of the same" (but not as good with less options for level ups and vastly overpowered gadgets aka Lightning Gloves all around and remote batclaw takedowns in predator missions) making it a lot easier in the later part of the game. It also has plenty of bugs / hiccups and a overall pretty weak, inconsistent story that pales in comparison to AA and AC.

I still enjoyed it, it's just not nearly as good as AC. If you're a newcomer, I'd start with AC any day of the week over this.

Shame that they failed to make an even better game. Hoping for next gen to do it. If they release just another game like this, I probably won't buy it (at least not full price).

rtcn63

Effin' hell. I couldn't find a way to exit the area where you fight
deathstroke
after scouring for five minutes. Finally restarted, and was able to walk through a door that would not open before. These bugs are becoming a real nuisance.

Anyone else encounter the bug in the Amusement Mile Coms Tower? I use the remote claw after the fight with the group, but the line keeps dropping Batman when he gets on.

I had this happen once somewhere else, and somewhere I had successfully used it before. My random guess, it's just a random bug that can strike anywhere. Did you try reloading and trying it again?

Black Mask is a fascinating villain. I would love to see him in a Batman movie.

He's literally my favorite Batman villain, and the reason I'm playing this game at all. The Under the Red Hood movie gave him the shaft character wise. I hope (still not too far in) that that doesn't happen here.

And I know
about the 4 hour in twist

Nephrahim

Speaking of bugs, if anyone is doing the deadshot mission here's some advise:
Don't take him out before he can take the hostage, well, hostage. Apparently I broke the scripting by knocking him out and now I'm completely stuck with no way to resolve the mission.

ElRenoRaven

Speaking of bugs, if anyone is doing the deadshot mission here's some advise:
Don't take him out before he can take the hostage, well, hostage. Apparently I broke the scripting by knocking him out and now I'm completely stuck with no way to resolve the mission.

I didn't even know you could. I came close one time but he suddenly hopped up and ran to his position to do that.

deathstroke
after scouring for five minutes. Finally restarted, and was able to walk through a door that would not open before. These bugs are becoming a real nuisance.

Hell, I fought him on NG+ earlier and beat him, then the Remote Claw wouldn't fire so I had to restart. No biggie, it'll just start right after the fight... WRONG!

It reloaded me to the beginning of the fight -- but the best part is, it somehow kept my 25% health from before the reload -- So I had to fight that fucker with no counter-icons and try to not get hit, I did well enough until the third phase, then screwed up.

So, I had to fight him again! >:[ Thankfully it gave me full health that time and the Remote Claw worked after the fight.

Goddam glitches.

Birbo

deathstroke

Encountered the same bug here. Took me longer than five minutes to get the clue the game was glitched.

beat it. steam says 19 hours, but i'm sure i left it on when i went out last night, so probably 17 or so. got most stuff done that wasn't collectables or Ubisoft style filler crap.

Good good game.

Good first effort. Amazing cutscenes and some of the best QTE stuff outside of cyber connect2 games.

team could definitely do some cool stuff, hopefully they get the opportunity.

Dysun

Just finished it also, I'd put it on par with AC. I enjoyed the story more, but the bugs/glitches bring it down a notch. Obviously Rocksteady set the blueprint, and it's a retread but it's very well done. I appreciated the added difficulty, and the boss fights were the best of the franchise.

The second half of the game is a thrill

TDLink

deathstroke

Encountered the same bug here. Took me longer than five minutes to get the clue the game was glitched.

I'm not sure this is a glitch but rather the game doesn't really indicate well what you need to do. Granted I'm playing the Wii U version which is better about the glitches.

For me the door was indeed locked but I went over to where Penguin's room is (Batman says beforehand "I can't let Penguin get away") at one of the remote claw anchors and there was a short scene about how Batman can't get in the room. After that the door to leave unlocks.

So yeah, did you guys watch that Penguin scene before trying to get out?

TheFrza

deathstroke

I had this exact problem. I literally had to watch it on youtube. Restarted the game, then went out of the door, no problem. I think I am stuck on a similar one now, trying to destroy a jammer by an Enigma tower.

Edit: I watched the Penguin scene completely and ran around for like 10 minutes before giving up and looking it up...very annoying

Eusis

You know, I love Miiverse and all, but..sigh..

i4iuo9F.png

There's always someone.
Name inclines me to think he'd say that about any DC hero.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ok I'm stuck in the ship. I did everything and am using the line gun to get out, am sitting on a line and have no idea where I'm supposed to go...

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought the exit was up high, apparently not.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The bug I have with the burnley tower seems different from what seemed to happen with everyone else.

Instead of getting stuck in the vent, I sorta broke sequence with it. I walked around the outside of the place to avoid enemies and saw the console to hack, did it(outside the window), and then bars closed me outside and nothing activated. I blew up the window or something, but had no way to gain access. I progressed to the next area and came back and can now get in fine, but the thing is deactivated, keeping the fact I hacked it but the tower itself didn't turn on.

Dafuq.

Any word on a patch on PC? Don´t even want to try that glitch for the jamming tower and had a few other bugs (doors do not open - having to restart the game). Think i´ll just stop playing until the game is fixed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Any word on a patch on PC? Don´t even want to try that glitch for the jamming tower and had a few other bugs (doors do not open - having to restart the game). Think i´ll just stop playing until the game is fixed.

There was a twitter post from them asking people to post the bugs they've found on their forums. So they aren't oblivious. I assume they want to find out what they all are and try and fix them in one go.

There was a twitter post from them asking people to post the bugs they've found on their forums. So they aren't oblivious. I assume they want to find out what they all are and try and fix them in one go.

Thanks. I was google searching and only saw something about a patch on ps3 to fix framerate issues.

Well, back to pokemon.

Derrick01

Banned
Ok that deathstroke fight was pretty fucking awesome. 2nd best boss in the series behind Freeze (not that that's saying much, but it was still great)

Would love to continue playing, but I currently have no sound as my Tritons decided to stop working. I use a monitor and have zero way to get the sound to my speakers.
Which sucks, because I'm really enjoying what I've seen thus far.

Dead

well not really...yet
The Deathstroke fight was really awesome

Spoiler question regarding it
is it the only time you fight him? For some reason I thought he'd have a bigger role in the game

Nephrahim

The Deathstroke fight was really awesome

Spoiler question regarding it
is it the only time you fight him? For some reason I thought he'd have a bigger role in the game

Everyone did, I feel. Then again, the marketing is full of lies....

But yeah, it's the only time. You do see him two more times, but they're only brief talking bits.

SupaNaab

I seem to experience constant freezing with this game. I froze in the city 3 times (forcing a shutdown) in my last 30 minutes or so. I am playing on a fat ps3 (from the MSG4 bundle). I just had to turn it off for the night. Do PC users experience the same problem? I could probably sell my PS3 copy for a price similar to the PC one.

TDLink

It's boneheadedly easy, overly long and terribly repetitive.

It's "easy" but it tests the player's skill at knowing when to counter and attack. It is a very well designed first boss fight for that reason. It feels like Deathstroke is a worthy opponent for Batman and that makes it fun and cool. The fight is like 6-7 minutes max, I didn't feel it went too long. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am finding it really hard to like AO. Nonsense inconsistent story, horrific direlogue.
Its like the producer showed a picture from Year One of Batman vs the Corrupt SWAT, but the designers werent able to capture the 'heart'.

The 'conceptual invisible walls' are very annoying.
You know a batarang would solve a puzzle due to previous experience, but the game stops you and forces you to do it their way.
its that lack of attention to detail which is very off putting.

AA was a 9
AC was a 7 and thats because they lost their focus.
AO is a 5 at best so far

Balphon

It's "easy" but it tests the player's skill at knowing when to counter and attack. It is a very well designed first boss fight for that reason. It feels like Deathstroke is a worthy opponent for Batman and that makes it fun and cool. The fight is like 6-7 minutes max, I didn't feel it went too long. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Eh? You just hammer on the attack button and hit counter when one of the QTEs of him swinging his stick kicks in. There's no sense of timing or precision at all, unlike most other fights.

And it probably felt longer than it was given that it consists mostly of the same 3-4 animations playing over and over again.

Liked the game a lot up until the end

End spoilers:
Bane is my favorite DC villain and he really got the shaft at the end. He would never work with Joker like that, he sees himself as above scum like him. I could live with that but him willingly turning himself into a retard forever was just stupid as hell and very contrived to "explain" his appearance in Asylum, which is already easily explained by the doctor experimenting on him.

Add to that the stupid and poorly designed attempt to replicate the Freeze fight. Ugh. What a pain in the ass. To me the whole final sequence at Black gate seemed very shoddily made in comparison to the rest of the game, it felt rushed.

Despite those complaints and the strange amount of jank I really liked the game. It's easily the worst so far in the series but Rocksteady really nailed what it feels like to be Batman and every chance to continue that experience is gonna be great for me.

TDLink

Eh? You just hammer on the attack button and hit counter when one of the QTEs of him swinging his stick kicks in. There's no sense of timing or precision at all, unlike most other fights.

And it probably felt longer than it was given that it consists mostly of the same 3-4 animations playing over and over again.

Yeah it isn't hard, like I said, but it teaches new players how to properly counter. Counters pop up in both QTE sequences and normally during that fight, and correct timing is important on them. Just in this topic earlier people were complaining about Deathstroke having unavoidable attacks (he doesn't) because they were too eager with the attack or counter buttons.

It's a perfectly paced fight for a first boss and really cool.

Nephrahim

In regards to the ending:

Bane didn't turn "Into a retard" he had memory loss, which is why he doesn't know who bruce was later in the series. You meet Bane in AC and he's fine, if huge.

As for working the the joker, he clearly was just using him and intended on killing him the moment after he was done with Batman.

erawsd

I'm not sure this is a glitch but rather the game doesn't really indicate well what you need to do. Granted I'm playing the Wii U version which is better about the glitches.

For me the door was indeed locked but I went over to where Penguin's room is (Batman says beforehand "I can't let Penguin get away") at one of the remote claw anchors and there was a short scene about how Batman can't get in the room. After that the door to leave unlocks.

So yeah, did you guys watch that Penguin scene before trying to get out?

I had the exact same issue and its def a glitch. I tried the penguin door first, then the other two in the room -- the doors sound like they're opening, but they don't. I ran around in frustration until I decided to restart.

Thats the biggest frustration with the glitches in this game. Sometime you're not sure if you shouldn't be able to enter an area by design or if its just glitched.

Sober

Did every Engima challenge, all criminals, completed the game and solved every crime. Got the Riddler Trophy and now all that's left is a side missions I didn't get somehow. Who am I missing?

Enigma
Anarky
Penguin
Deadshot
Mad Hater
Bird
XXX
Shiva
Black Mask
It is a post-game sidequest, eventually
Gordon will call you. I believe you need to finish all the cases (not sure if Deadshot counts towards it) and you may need to do some crimes in progress. Not entirely sure when it triggers but do try entering/exiting a building to see if it works. It came up for me after I finished Black Mask's sidequest.

Balphon

Yeah it isn't hard, like I said, but it teaches new players how to properly counter. Counters pop up in both QTE sequences and normally during that fight, and correct timing is important on them. Just in this topic earlier people were complaining about Deathstroke having unavoidable attacks (he doesn't) because they were too eager with the attack or counter buttons.

It's a perfectly paced fight for a first boss and really cool.

Fair enough, though it felt to me almost like that fight was using a completely different and much simpler set of game mechanics. Likewise, the endless and arbitrary repetition of the stupid canned attacking/rolling animations is still painfully dull.

erawsd

Liked the game a lot up until the end

End spoilers:
Bane is my favorite DC villain and he really got the shaft at the end. He would never work with Joker like that, he sees himself as above scum like him. I could live with that but him willingly turning himself into a retard forever was just stupid as hell and very contrived to "explain" his appearance in Asylum, which is already easily explained by the doctor experimenting on him.

Add to that the stupid and poorly designed attempt to replicate the Freeze fight. Ugh. What a pain in the ass. To me the whole final sequence at Black gate seemed very shoddily made in comparison to the rest of the game, it felt rushed.

Despite those complaints and the strange amount of jank I really liked the game. It's easily the worst so far in the series but Rocksteady really nailed what it feels like to be Batman and every chance to continue that experience is gonna be great for me.

I agree completely. The end was a sour point, in an otherwise well told story.

Whats sad is that they had done an amazing job building up Bane. A showdown with Bane and his men in Wayne Manor/Bat Cave would have been awesome... instead its oh hey, Joker is stealing the show again.

I'm so happy Joker is dead in the present timeline; hopefully, next game will showcase some of the other Rogues.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Name inclines me to think he'd say that about any DC hero.

All of those comments are incredibly stupid, but I cannot even comprehend the villains comment in particular. I don't think anyone could name a rogue gallery that even comes close to Batman's. He literally has the best villains.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I agree completely. The end was a sour point, in an otherwise well told story.

Whats sad is that they had done an amazing job building up Bane. A showdown with Bane and his men in Wayne Manor/Bat Cave would have been awesome... instead its oh hey, Joker is stealing the show again.

I'm so happy Joker is dead in the present timeline; hopefully, next game will showcase some of the other Rogues.

I honestly thought for a little bit that
Shiva
would turn out to be the big bad at the end of it all, especially since
Bane's goons were talking about him owing some woman and how doing this would make them even
. I was a little disappointed.

Some Nobody

What fights? Deathstroke teaches you to stop hammering the counter button all the time. That's how I did it at first and basically he beat the shit out of me.

You know, I love Miiverse and all, but..sigh..

i4iuo9F.png

There's always someone.

Well. His villains certainly do NOT suck, but I hate all the fans who treat Batman like he's "special" and better than every other superhero just because he's realistic. Also,
Tony Stark is totally cooler than Batman.

Has Venom ever had a memory-depleting effect in any other form of media?

I really wish they did more with
Bane finding out who Batman was and fucking up Alfred. It kind of just happens and there's really nothing that comes out of it.

Also, small Bane is way cooler than big Bane.

Dysun

What fights? Deathstroke teaches you to stop hammering the counter button all the time. That's how I did it at first and basically he beat the shit out of me.

Well. His villains certainly do NOT suck, but I hate all the fans who treat Batman like he's "special" and better than every other superhero just because he's realistic. Also,
Tony Stark is totally cooler than Batman.

Nobody thought this before Robert Downey Jr, nor will they when he's done playing the part

Top Bottom