• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

merrick97

Banned
It seems to me like the electric gloves were created to compensate for the crappy combat.

The camera in this game is an absolute mess and its really bafling that it was able to make it through quality control.

During the bane fight that camera absolutely screws you over and I would frequently dodge right into Bane. It was just plain terrible.

There were a few instances where I was doing a beatdown and the camera suddenly changed and i ended up attacking a shield guy losing my combo.

Not to mention that far too often I would get hit by someone I COULDN'T EVEN SEE.

That's just not fair.

D-e-f-

Banned
To be fair I believe his voice in TDK and TDKR was digitally altered to sound deeper and raspier, that's why it sounds different from Batman Begins where it was much better and more subdued while still being cool. I still don't get why Nolan did that.

Voice distortion must be more severe!!

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
This game doesn't throw in the two person/three person counters nearly enough either, you have to be on your feet for those in AC.

Yeah I noticed this, but I thought it was because there were more "special" enemy types peppered in, whose attacks would take center stage and leave less room for the "gang-ups."

Whoever mentioned that the rebalance makes a strong emphasis for free-flow hit the nail on the head. For me, I could not sit tight and counter successfully for long to build a combo. That's mostly what I did in AC. To the point it was ridiculous.

In this one, once I got free-flow it was time to move around a lot more. This really worked for me until more armored guys, etc. got into the mix. I was frustrated for a bit there, because the free-flow lets you jet over to off-camera guys, and if he's armored then boom, free-flow is gone.

But then again that's about the time the shock gloves came into the mix. If you ask me, that's exactly why the shock gloves came into the mix.

Personally I was glad to have 'em because the bane of my existance is getting the timing on that knife-evade-counter thingy. I was so happy just to fucking punch the knife guys with my electric fists.

zainetor

Banned
Yeah I noticed this, but I thought it was because there were more "special" enemy types peppered in, whose attacks would take center stage and leave less room for the "gang-ups."

Whoever mentioned that the rebalance makes a strong emphasis for free-flow hit the nail on the head. For me, I could not sit tight and counter successfully for long to build a combo. That's mostly what I did in AC. To the point it was ridiculous.

In this one, once I got free-flow it was time to move around a lot more. This really worked for me until more armored guys, etc. got into the mix. I was frustrated for a bit there, because the free-flow lets you jet over to off-camera guys, and if he's armored then boom, free-flow is gone.

But then again that's about the time the shock gloves came into the mix. If you ask me, that's exactly why the shock gloves came into the mix.

Personally I was glad to have 'em because the bane of my existance is getting the timing on that knife-evade-counter thingy. I was so happy just to fucking punch the knife guys with my electric fists.

Use the same strategy you had to use in AA: stun thyem with the cape. There was no Blade takedown or blade dodge back then.

Finished this last night and without posting too many spoilers, I think it's safe to say this has the best story of all three games. Not only that, it's the only game that has character development for all the big players. All of them go through different stages of acceptance and grow as characters, this is something that's been missing from previous Arkham games and it's good to see it here and in spades too.

End boss battle was pretty damn great too. Although is it fair to call it a battle? More like a
one sided beatdown of epic proportions.

Bane....
thought the final fight with him was fantastic, would have been nice to see this kind of fight against him in previous titles...

Overall, best Arkham game yet. The main campaign is shorter than I was expecting though, but it was paced fantastically and you're not really left feeling like it ended too soon...

More of this please, Rocksteady.

pa22word

Sooo just tried this out on my shiny new 780 and ehhh...

Does anyone else find TXAA to be kinda bleh? I was on an AMD card prior to this so this is my first experience with the stuff, and meh while it looks better than FXAA does I guess it's still not very good for the performance it eats up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The shock gloves are great for pinballing around knocking down everyone, but they really gave it no downside. Once you charge it there is no reason to not pop it, I originally thought it was going to have drawbacks. Like being much weaker but building combos faster, which would already be amazingly good in its own right before letting it go through shields, armor, counter stun rods, instant beatdown venom users, etc.

merrick97

Banned
The shock gloves are great for pinballing around knocking down everyone, but they really gave it no downside. Once you charge it there is no reason to not pop it, I originally thought it was going to have drawbacks. Like being much weaker but building combos faster, which would already be amazingly good in its own right before letting it go through shields, armor, counter stun rods, instant beatdown venom users, etc.

IMO the only thing their useful for is if you haven't gotten the critical strikes upgrade yet and want to quickly build up your combo.

bane charge attack is weird, it kinda homes on ya so you needa dodge like 6 times to actually avoid the hit... and still its kinda hit or miss.

I think the point was to differentiate him from Asylum Bane that (as we know now)
had his brain shrunk by the precursor to the Titan formula or whatever
and for that reason he runs into walls like an idiot in that one. Bane was a very intelligent villain when he was introduced, this is another way they're showing that. He's hard as crap to dodge, though, yes. I use the common thugs to my advantage, evading over them almost assures you don't get hit.

Finished this last night and without posting too many spoilers, I think it's safe to say this has the best story of all three games. Not only that, it's the only game that has character development for all the big players. All of them go through different stages of acceptance and grow as characters, this is something that's been missing from previous Arkham games and it's good to see it here and in spades too.

End boss battle was pretty damn great too. Although is it fair to call it a battle? More like a
one sided beatdown of epic proportions.

Bane....
thought the final fight with him was fantastic, would have been nice to see this kind of fight against him in previous titles...

Overall, best Arkham game yet. The main campaign is shorter than I was expecting though, but it was paced fantastically and you're not really left feeling like it ended too soon...

More of this please, Rocksteady.

I think there was some character development in City, but it was almost entirely predicated on
A) Bruce's relationship with Talia
, and B) Batman's relationship with the Joker. While we all know the story behind the latter, the former is a little less mainstream and you pretty much have to go on what the game tells you about it unless you're a huge Batfan or have been previously exposed to the material. In Origins, they again play to the strength that we already know the relationship between Alfred and Bruce, and also they show us the beginnings of his relationship with his rogues. It's pretty much built on a much better base.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Sooo just tried this out on my shiny new 780 and ehhh...

Does anyone else find TXAA to be kinda bleh? I was on an AMD card prior to this so this is my first experience with the stuff, and meh while it looks better than FXAA does I guess it's still not very good for the performance it eats up.

TXAA is garbage, never use it.

The best thing about the shock gloves I found is the cool physx smoke effect that is made when they are deactivated. lol.

Well...and the animation countering the shield enemies is pretty sweet. Though, why would you when you could just punch them first?

Papercuts

The best thing about the shock gloves I found is the cool physx smoke effect that is made when they are deactivated. lol.

Well...and the animation countering the shield enemies is pretty sweet. Though, why would you when you could just punch them first?

It has some pretty cool unique knockout animations where he basically electrocutes people, lol.

IMO the only thing their useful for is if you haven't gotten the critical strikes upgrade yet and want to quickly build up your combo.

I didn't get critical strikes until the very end but it seems like they stack, so the combo would jump by 3 with a critical strike shock glove attack.

I think there was some character development in City, but it was almost entirely predicated on
A) Bruce's relationship with Talia
, and B) Batman's relationship with the Joker. While we all know the story behind the latter, the former is a little less mainstream and you pretty much have to go on what the game tells you about it unless you're a huge Batfan or have been previously exposed to the material. In Origins, they again play to the strength that we already know the relationship between Alfred and Bruce, and also they show us the beginnings of his relationship with his rogues. It's pretty much built on a much better base.

Regarding A:
This bugged me regarding the plot, that batman straight up left Talia there to bring out the Joker instead. I get why they did it but when you think about it's pretty shitty of him. :p

SJRB

Gold Member
only plot point for talia was her gyrating ass before the trial.

I love how that entire segment is basically a tribute to her amazingly modeled ass. I mean, the slow-mo walk to the shrine has zero purpose other than to show off her walking animations.

Her glorius walking animations.

Derrick01

Banned
Hey a good glitch for a change! I beat down a group of like 6 guys before going into a story building and I somehow unlocked the final challenge in the far left tree. The one where you have to do a battle without getting hit, while getting a 50x combo and using 15 variations (all of his moves basically). Not only did I get hit and not get 50x combo but I don't even think I used 7 of Batman's moves :lol

I'll take it though!

So New Game+ is weird, you don't actually start with everything.
I was a little surprised at this as well. I think they may have designed the game in a way where they realized there was no way they could give you certain stuff early. For reasons maybe ranging from it being way too easy to it maybe even breaking gameplay triggers they originally had in place.

Overall it's not a huge loss for me. Combat ones are more important than the equipment ones.

strafer

I was a little surprised at this as well. I think they may have designed the game in a way where they realized there was no way they could give you certain stuff early. For reasons maybe ranging from it being way too easy to it maybe even breaking gameplay triggers they originally had in place.

Overall it's not a huge loss for me. Combat ones are more important than the equipment ones.

Sure, but the combat ones are also locked until you advance the story a bit.

Just unlocked what I assume is the final gadget (
Glue Grenade
), and I'm pretty disappointed with the game so far. I don't understand why people have been saying it's more like Asylum than City, because so far the interior levels have been really short and uninspired - walk in, stealth and fight, turn around and walk back out the way you came. The GCPD and Hotel were standouts, but there's no Metroidvania-design to them and the Hotel in particular felt very much like an Uncharted-esque corridor. I guess there'll be a couple of Enigma Datapacks hidden behind steam pipes or something, but I've never had the feeling that I'm going to discover whole new areas and pathways like I did in AC.

AA and AC are two of my favourite games ever, and I think I've played through each about a dozen times, but I tempered my expectations for Origins. It doesn't have the perfect, rock-solid feel that Rocksteady's games do, and that wasn't surprising, but I guess I just hoped for something more interesting. I think the style and presentation are excellent, the Detective Vision investigations are awesome, and the Martial Artists are a fantastic addition to the roster (having to wait for just the right moment to counter them, when you're nervous and you want to just jam on the button, perfectly emphasises that Batman feeling of having to stay calm under pressure). But, in making their tweaks to enemy aggression and stuff, they've broken something under the hood of the Freeflow system and it just isn't the 100% reliable thing it used to be. I've dropped so many combos from Batman just whiffing for absolutely no reason; surrounded by guys, in perfect conditions, but he just throws a 'rang into empty air, or punches the armoured guy next to the guy I was aiming at, or simply hops on the spot and punches nothing.

The gadget lineup is a real shame. With the
Glue Grenade just being a reskinned Freeze Blast, the only new combat move is the Concussion Detonator, which sucks. Putting a whole group of enemies into the 'dazed and randomly swinging' condition is of absolutely no benefit to you - in fact it's the total opposite. And in Predator encounters it's functionally identical to the Smoke Grenade. I don't know why they brought back the Triple Batarang from AA, either; there's a reason Rocksteady dropped it in favour of rapid-fire 'Rangs. The Remote Claw is a fantastic addition, but it's the only thing that feels new.

So, I haven't finished it yet, but what I've seen so far hasn't set me on fire. There's enough stuff about it that I really love that I feel positive about it overall, but it definitely feels like the off-season Batman game. I really hope they patch it soon, because I can't progress past the '4 exotic Takedowns in one encounter' Predator Challenge no matter how many times I do it, and I'm getting a bit tired of goons flying up into the air or sinking through floors.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

It has some pretty cool unique knockout animations where he basically electrocutes people, lol.

I had no idea there were unique animations for the gloves.

They gave me the ability to button mash and that's what I did! I'll have to check it out, thanks.

So, I haven't finished it yet, but what I've seen so far hasn't set me on fire. There's enough stuff about it that I really love that I feel positive about it overall, but it definitely feels like the off-season Batman game.

It's no Call of Duty 3, but it's no Black Ops, either. More like a World at War entry. Or slightly better. Solid. Well-told.
Maybe the multiplayer will break out and hit like zombies did.

I do feel the WB Montreal studio should be proud of their work, and try to disregard reviews from people who want to leverage their review into an industry-wide commentary, or sites with wildly vacillating review scores for the same game within the same week. ;)

In short, I want to see more from them, with this property.

Papercuts

Hey a good glitch for a change! I beat down a group of like 6 guys before going into a story building and I somehow unlocked the final challenge in the far left tree. The one where you have to do a battle without getting hit, while getting a 50x combo and using 15 variations (all of his moves basically). Not only did I get hit and not get 50x combo but I don't even think I used 7 of Batman's moves :lol

I'll take it though!

I had this too, in post game. I did do a 70 something hit combo and varied it up but there was an insane amount of enemies and I got hit a bunch afterwards. So it seems buggy on activating improperly(which is fine by me).

On the other hand, FUCK that stealth tree. The 4 exotic takedowns I have done twice in different rooms and neither trigger it.

Derrick01

Banned
I had this too, in post game. I did do a 70 something hit combo and varied it up but there was an insane amount of enemies and I got hit a bunch afterwards. So it seems buggy on activating improperly(which is fine by me).

On the other hand, FUCK that stealth tree. The 4 exotic takedowns I have done twice in different rooms and neither trigger it.

Yeah that's the one I'm on too. I have the other 3 trees either completed or on the last one but only on #4 on the stealth one, which seems weird to me. Usually I excel at stealth challenges but I guess it's because they don't put you in too many situations like that in this game.

Lima

That shit is easy son. I'm pulling my hair out on this stupid challenge 14 where you have to KO three guys using one propane tank. Anyone done this yet?

Unai

I finished the main game but there are still two bad guys without missions. Why?

2013-10-31_00004edrr5.jpg

2013-10-31_00005tjrgu.jpg

This game feels like it's throwing far too many head on fights at me. Even some areas I enter look like I can sneak around and take guys out but I can only do 2-3 enemies before I have to go all fisticuffs.

The game still shines when you're in the gargoyle rooms taking out dudes quietly. Those were my favourite parts in AA/AC

The boss fights are nowhere near as good as people and reviewers were saying. They all feel like exaggerated repetitive regular enemy encounters

I finished the main game but there are still two bad guys without missions. Why?

One of them is Deadshot, you should have an SOS call marker near the gotham bank, if you've done that, then just go inside the Gotham Bank to challenge him. The other Most Wanted is only unlocked after defeating Deadshot I think because it only came up for me after completing all the other Most Wanteds apart from Enigma.

void666

Banned
My game just broke during the
second fight with bane.

There's a cutscene and right after that another cutscene that should play only after the gameplay segment. Now the screen turns black. There's no sound. The control vibrates and if i pause the game i can see what's happening.
Reloading the checkpoint is useless. And since you can't load previous saves i guess it's over for me.
Too bad. I was enjoying the game. Story wise is better then AC. But it's way too unpolished.

Well, back to BF4.

KHlover

Banned
My game just broke during the
second fight with bane.

There's a cutscene and right after that another cutscene that should play only after the gameplay segment. Now the screen turns black. There's no sound. The control vibrates and if i pause the game i can see what's happening.
Reloading the checkpoint is useless. And since you can't load previous saves i guess it's over for me.
Too bad. I was enjoying the game. Story wise is better then AC. But it's way too unpolished.

Well, back to BF4.

PC or console? On PC I didn't encounter a single glitch affecting the gameplay. That sucks for you :/
(at least you had basically finished the game anyways. The 2nd Bane encounter is the final boss fight)

LordAlu

OH SHIT! This patch fixed my save file! I'm no longer falling through darkness and am back in the room I should be in. FUCK YES!

On another note, where are saves kept so I can back this up?!

Unai

One of them is Deadshot, you should have an SOS call marker near the gotham bank, if you've done that, then just go inside the Gotham Bank to challenge him. The other Most Wanted is only unlocked after defeating Deadshot I think because it only came up for me after completing all the other Most Wanteds apart from Enigma.

I'll look into that, thanks.

The last most wanted appears once you complete those crime scene investigations.

Good god... these credits!

Not only is there 3 studio's and a publisher's worth of credits, but just when you think it's done EVEN MORE START and these ones scroll up the screen slower than a paralysed snail.

I think they've been going for about 20mins now and it's just got to "DC International"

Gah!

Top Bottom