• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Well, shit.

The last Predator Challenge (normal) for Deathstroke is bugged -- no matter how I complete it, the medal results show up but "Press X to continue" and the like never does.

I agree. Using the shock gloves in the challenge rooms is key to easily achieve 3 stars. Highest combo string I got to using them was around x120. lol

Highest I hit was 399 in 1 to 100.

I've been thinking, will there ever be a point were Batman actually kill the bosses he encounter? Or will that fuck up the lore?

I don't think it would affect the lore, it's just Rocksteady's/WB Montreal's interpretation of the world. I'm sure Batman has killed in many different variations of the comics.

I think it would be super effective if Batman were to kill. But not just any ol' time. When he is left with nowhere to go. For instance, (Man of Steel spoilers)
when Superman snaps the neck of Zod.
It caught me completely by surprise because I'm so used to something different. Batmans code is not to kill, but if he's forced into situations where it's too much, and it's against a villian that just will not stop...then I think it could be an effective means to an end.

I personally hated in the previous two games how Batman wouldn't just kill The Joker. It doesn't bother me in the films or comics for some reason, but Batmans no-killing policy became more and more stupid in the last couple games. Think about how much easier life would be without Joker? He'll never stop being The Joker. He puts lives in danger all the time and becomes more and more insane as time goes on. Why not end it all?

(Arkham City spoilers)
I hope Joker stays dead. He's had his reign, time to stop using him as a story crutch and bring others in.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think it's a bug but i thought i would post here to be sure - i died during the
Mad Hatter
section of the game. When it reloads the checkpoint it loads the first few seconds of the room i died in... but when i get control of Batman this is my point of view: http://i.imgur.com/rhVdLaJ.jpg

With Rocksteady/WB's trickery in the past (particular with the console going offline moment in Asylum) - i was wondering if this was indeed a bug/glitch or part of the game ?

It's 100% a glitch, there's no such trickery to be found in that segment.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I'm glad the main story is so fantastic, but the side stuff is not great at all.

I have to agree with this. But I did find I liked it more than the AC effect, which was kind of the reverse. My experience with the story of this one was compelling, it drove me on, and I really enjoyed it, I think way more than Arkham City.

But the side missions here are less fulfilling. The
ambushes
made a nice addition here, but AC just had more interest and variety in side missions.

I kind of miss assembling scenes (or question marks) with my perspective and scanning them to solve riddles.
Anarky symbols
are so forgettable I think I've only done a couple.

Some other gripes:

Also, as much as I loved the hotel, there should have been a good reason to send me up the Wonder Tower again.

Finally, this is the last time I think I can play as Batman in a deserted and criminal-covered Gotham portion and realistically believe it. I actually found the premise for this: Christmas Eve and a city-wide curfew after a
prison breakout and the evening's high-profile 24-hour assassin contract event
, along with a bad storm, to be more believable than walling off part of the city to make a prison. But it could have used just a few pedestrians, more victims, ambulance or fire truck events.

Also LOL at the "it's too cold out there for Batman" animation, especially at that window in the hotel. If I'm not supposed to want to go out it, just leave it closed like all the others.

Okay I think I got out all my gripes.

Rnr1224

I agree. Using the shock gloves in the challenge rooms is key to easily achieve 3 stars. Highest combo string I got to using them was around x120. lol

Ive only been playing as deathstroke and only managed to get 3 medals in a handful of combat challenges. Guess i should switch to batman and see how i fare there!

I don't think it would affect the lore, it's just Rocksteady's/WB Montreal's interpretation of the world. I'm sure Batman has killed in many different variations of the comics.

I think it would be super effective if Batman were to kill. But not just any ol' time. When he is left with nowhere to go. For instance, (Man of Steel spoilers)
It caught me completely by surprise because I'm so used to something different. Batmans code is not to kill, but if he's forced into situations where it's too much, and it's against a villian that just will not stop...then I think it could be an effective means to an end.

I personally hated in the previous two games how Batman wouldn't just kill The Joker. It doesn't bother me in the films or comics for some reason, but Batmans no-killing policy became more and more stupid in the last couple games. Think about how much easier life would be without Joker? He'll never stop being The Joker. He puts lives in danger all the time and becomes more and more insane as time goes on. Why not end it all?

(Arkham City spoilers)
I hope Joker stays dead. He's had his reign, time to stop using him as a story crutch and bring others in.

Agreed on the final spoiler. It's time for someone else to shine. Hush would be a good place to start...

Strange would have been good but then that happened in City.

Derrick01

Banned

(Arkham City spoilers)

Yeah I've always thought Batman's no kill policy was pretty lame. Like you're going to keep letting the Joker (and others) go and in AA/AC they kill probably over 100 people so you finally catch them only...to repeat the process? He's purposely letting innocent people die because they always magically break out of prison.

But I guess if he killed too often they would have to create new characters, and that would require a lot of work!

Rnr1224

Agreed on the final spoiler. It's time for someone else to shine. Hush would be a good place to start...

I agree with that Hush should be a main villian in the next game, but id also like them to incorporate the Robins into the story more. i know we had Dick and Tim in the last one but they didnt do too much and nightwing was just a playable character in the challenge maps. id love it if they brought back Jason and used some of the story of the Hush comic as well.

smr00

Banned
Yeah I've always thought Batman's no kill policy was pretty lame. Like you're going to keep letting the Joker (and others) go and in AA/AC they kill probably over 100 people so you finally catch them only...to repeat the process? He's purposely letting innocent people die because they always magically break out of prison.

But I guess if he killed too often they would have to create new characters, and that would require a lot of work!
Didn't batman hang someone once from his batwing? Like rope around neck? He also burned a penguin goon alive in Batman Returns and later in the movie he sticks a bomb down some guys pants and kicks him down a manhole and explodes.

The side stuff is pretty bad in AC too. Batman locks Bane in a cage and blows up his titan storage, like Bane can't break out of a cage? The Mad Hatter side mission is just fighting random wonderland goons, and I can't even remember the other ones

Yup you're exactly right, now that I think of it. Gah, I really hope the side stuff is expanded upon in the next game. :/

I have to agree with this. But I did find I liked it more than the AC effect, which was kind of the reverse. My experience with the story of this one was compelling, it drove me on, and I really enjoyed it, I think way more than Arkham City.

But the side missions here are less fulfilling. The
ambushes
made a nice addition here, but AC just had more interest and variety in side missions.

I kind of miss assembling scenes (or question marks) with my perspective and scanning them to solve riddles.
Anarky symbols
are so forgettable I think I've only done a couple.

Some other gripes:

Also, as much as I loved the hotel, there should have been a good reason to send me up the Wonder Tower again.

Finally, this is the last time I think I can play as Batman in a deserted and criminal-covered Gotham portion and realistically believe it. I actually found the premise for this: Christmas Eve and a city-wide curfew after a
prison breakout and the evening's high-profile 24-hour assassin contract event
, along with a bad storm, to be more believable than walling off part of the city to make a prison. But it could have used just a few pedestrians, more victims, ambulance or fire truck events.

Also LOL at the "it's too cold out there for Batman" animation, especially at that window in the hotel. If I'm not supposed to want to go out it, just leave it closed like all the others.

Okay I think I got out all my gripes.

Spot on dude. I agree with everything you just said, especially the bit about playing Batman in a deserted Gotham. They *really* need to spice things up for the next game (which I'm guessing is Rocksteady). I really don't know if it's lazyness or what, but one of the main draws of Batman is the city he is in. Gotham IS Batman and Batman IS Gotham! The city should be thriving, Batman should be roaming the rooftops, stopping random crimes, crime bosses, proper villians and everything inbetween. There can't be any more stupid excuses. I mean, people have to stay in their homes because of the winter cold? Yet criminals are running around like it's Christmas (ha!). Things must change!

Hush would be great actually. I'll be honest, I only found out about him through City. Twas a very nice and dark surprise though. :)

Exactly! It's so damn stupid. I felt like WB Montreal are more prone to going in a darker direction, if the story for this is any indication. And like you said, Batman certainly doesn't need to kill every villian or anything like that. But when the Joker breaks out and stages some of the most dangerous encounters for Batman within two games, and countless times before that (in the world), it's time to say...enough is enough!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That shit is easy son. I'm pulling my hair out on this stupid challenge 14 where you have to KO three guys using one propane tank. Anyone done this yet?

That one sounds ridiculous.

And I agree, this one IS easy. It just hasn't triggered when I did all the needed takedowns twice. Didn't help that the game seems low on walls to gel + explode, so I can't seem to do it on this playthrough now.

Does it pop up right after you do it or after the predator room itself? I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I used an actual vent, not the floor grates if that makes a difference.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Didn't batman hang someone once from his batwing? Like rope around neck? He also burned a penguin goon alive in Batman Returns and later in the movie he sticks a bomb down some guys pants and kicks him down a manhole and explodes.

Which is just one of many reasons the Burton Batmans are terrible representations of the character. Burton had no idea what he was doing, and had never even read a Batman comic in his life. The Adam West Batman is actually truer to the character in many ways.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah the side quests in AC/AO are mostly terrible and if Rocksteady really is going massive open world in the next game (with batmobile and everything) then they NEED to do these side quests better. Make them more memorable and give a bit of build up with the characters in the side quests, give them a chance to actually be a character. Then make the actual fights unique and different from the normal fights.

At least some side quests in AO are decent whereas every single one in AC is awful. I liked the
Deadshot
mission in AO because it's a predator room but it increases in challenge and variety as you get hits on him. Eventually enemies with detective vision jammers come in and hostages get taken. That's a basic example of the kind of detail I want for every side quest.

Remembering AC's side quests...man they were bad. The bane collectathon, chasing phone calls for Zsaz, 2 gadget training programs were considered full side quests, the Mad Hatter's was just a big standard melee fight, I think one you had to find Freeze's wife and take out 3-5 guys in a single fight, finding Azrael (think that was the name) and combining his symbols for what? A giant tease basically.

God they were so terrible. Probably the only awful part of AC.

I guess, I'm not too familiar with Batman lore. I do know those early movies were awful though and shouldn't be taken as canon of any kind :p

Batman doesn't kill because 1. He's a bit touched in the head about death and 2. It's not his job to be jury and executioner, he just brings in the crooks.

I don't understand how people always blame Batman for not killing the Joker and not the hundreds of political officials who consistently let him get away without an execution, there's just no excuse for that.

Lima

That one sounds ridiculous.

And I agree, this one IS easy. It just hasn't triggered when I did all the needed takedowns twice. Didn't help that the game seems low on walls to gel + explode, so I can't seem to do it on this playthrough now.

Does it pop up right after you do it or after the predator room itself? I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I used an actual vent, not the floor grates if that makes a difference.

Which rank are you at right now? I could give you some tips. Completed all of them now.

Kabuto

Don't think it's been posted yet but here's the changelog for today's update:

Patch for PC is now live. This Patch will fix the following:

Fix for the issue that was causing credits, consumables, and profile progress to not be saved in Multiplayer.
Fix for the Burnley Tower vent that Batman wasn't able to climb up
Fix for Free Flow Focus mode not unlocking upon unlocking Shadow Vigilante rank 3
Fixed player falling through elevators/world in most cases. For players that were stuck in free fall loop; if you are not back into the game or if it looks weird around you when you load the game, here are the steps.
Go in pause menu and select Restart from Checkpoint.
If Restart from checkpoint didn’t work, trying beating up all enemies around you.
If there aren’t any enemies around you, try going through a door.
Those steps should get you back into the game.

time to go back and finish the game in the Season Pass Skins!

kodecraft

Batman doesn't kill because 1. He's a bit touched in the head about death and 2. It's not his job to be jury and executioner, he just brings in the crooks.

I don't understand how people always blame Batman for not killing the Joker and not the hundreds of political officials who consistently let him get away without an execution, there's just no excuse for that.

This.

Papercuts

Which rank are you at right now? I could give you some tips. Completed all of them now.

Rank 5, in post game right now. The corner takedown, ledge takedown, vent takedown, and gel takedown.
The final predator room in the jail was where I did all 4, placed gel and lured someone with a sonic batarang to blow it up, did a corner one as someone checked. Used a sonic rang by a vent for that one, and finished the last guy with a ledge. I also did these again in the deadshot mission and neither triggered it. I'm thinking it either bugged out, the vent needs to be the floor one, or maybe these are all in a row as I don't think I did them like that.

I finished the other trees aside from the database one as I'm still filling out side misisons, but I was woefully behind on the stealth, lol. Once I decided to focus on it the game only had weak punch through walls for a long time in these rooms which only stunned people.

Rank 5, in post game right now. The corner takedown, ledge takedown, vent takedown, and gel takedown.
The final predator room in the jail was where I did all 4, placed gel and lured someone with a sonic batarang to blow it up, did a corner one as someone checked. Used a sonic rang by a vent for that one, and finished the last guy with a ledge. I also did these again in the deadshot mission and neither triggered it. I'm thinking it either bugged out, the vent needs to be the floor one, or maybe these are all in a row as I don't think I did them like that.

I finished the other trees aside from the database one as I'm still filling out side misisons, but I was woefully behind on the stealth, lol. Once I decided to focus on it the game only had weak punch through walls for a long time in these rooms which only stunned people.

What does it say in the challenge description? A Vent takedown and a Grate takedown are two separate things. Maybe you're doing the wrong one? That's all I can think of if it's not bugged.

-
^^^
Or what Lima said.

A hanging ledge takedown has to be performed when you're above a ledge that a goon can pass under, like a low walkway or above a door.

Papercuts

This is the one most likely confusing you. Which kind of ledge takedown are you doing? A ledge or hanging ledge takedown?

I'm gliding to hang onto a ledge and pulling someone off.

Edit: Oh fuck, I need to do a hanging ledge takedown! I think I'm doing the wrong one.

What does it say in the challenge description? A Vent takedown and a Grate takedown are two separate things. Maybe you're doing the wrong one? That's all I can think of if it's not bugged.

-
^^^
Or what Lima said.

A hanging ledge takedown has to be performed when you're above a ledge that a goon can pass under, like a low walkway or above a door.

Yup, thanks. Never even knew about that one.

Though I believe I now can't do an explosive gel takedown until NG+.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I hope they patch this, because once you complete all the predator rooms in the game, it's effectively impossible to do the Worst Nightmare track without starting a new game. Challenge Mode doesn't count and rooms don't repopulate at all, unlike past games. The 50+ combo and 15 move variety one would probably be really hard too, maybe in certain crime activities.

Lima

Hmm so that Dark Knight skin doesn't look as cool as I thought but hey it looks pretty much like the default suit from the game minus the stupid bullet holes in the cape (god I hate that). So yeah I think I'm gonna rock that til the end of my NG+ and through I Am The Night mode.

The 50+ combo and 15 move variety one would probably be really hard too, maybe in certain crime activities.

That one is super easy at can easily be done post-game at the Industrial District Comms Tower. As far as the worst nightmare stuff is concerned, it is not that bad since your progress is shared between all 3 modes and you have to finish the game 3 times anyway so it is not much of a problem.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't one of the reasons that Batman hasn't killed The Joker that he expects him to be cured eventually?

Hell, I'm pretty sure it's referenced directly in The Killing Joke.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I hope they patch this, because once you complete all the predator rooms in the game, it's effectively impossible to do the Worst Nightmare track without starting a new game. Challenge Mode doesn't count and rooms don't repopulate at all, unlike past games. The 50+ combo and 15 move variety one would probably be really hard too, maybe in certain crime activities.

The rooms need to repopulate, at least one or two. I can't believe it was missed.

Hmm so that Dark Knight skin doesn't look as cool as I thought but hey it looks pretty much like the default suit from the game minus the stupid bullet holes in the cape (god I hate that). So yeah I think I'm gonna rock that til the end of my NG+ and through I Am The Night mode.

I really wish every game had a "clean costume" toggle for the default.

It totally would. Batman's no kill policy isn't just Rocksteady's interpretation, it's a fundamental part of Batman/Bruce Wayne's identity.

The lore of Batman wouldn't shatter just because he killed. Yeah it's a part of identity, but people change, and like I said, I don't think anyone wants Batman killing left right and centre. But in regards to the likes of Joker, his no kill policy is pretty stupid, and even more so in these games, where he's constantly letting the Joker live and wreck the world even more than he does before.

I really wish every game had a "clean costume" toggle for the default.

Yup! Can't believe they don't put this in the games. I'm actually a fan of his suit getting busted up throughout the course of his adventure, but to not have the option to repair/replace his suit after the main story is complete? Why? Why would they not allow that? Batman has many different copies of the same suit I'm assuming, why not just change to one of them? Or at least get it all repaired. He looks like hobo Batman otherwise lol.

The lore of Batman wouldn't shatter just because he killed. Yeah it's a part of identity, but people change, and like I said, I don't think anyone wants Batman killing left right and centre. But in regards to the likes of Joker, his no kill policy is pretty stupid, and even more so in these games, where he's constantly letting the Joker live and wreck the world even more than he does before.

It's not Batman's fault they don't execute him.

Eh I disagree. He has the belief that people can change and be rehabilitated, even people as crazy as the Joker. It's one of the reasons he's my favorite hero. Plus killing the Joker would ruin the dynamic between the two of them.

Eh I disagree. He has the belief that people can change and be rehabilitated, even people as crazy as the Joker. It's one of the reasons he's my favorite hero. Plus killing the Joker would ruin the dynamic between the two of them.

I never really got the feeling that Batman believes the people he puts away can change, not the major villains at least. The only thing I get from him, is that he does what does because he's all Gotham has to protect it. His parents died at the hands of a criminal, and he wants to make sure the bad guys have something to fear, something to stop them. There's never been a point where I've thought Batman is gonna be like "Joker this is the last time! Otherwise you're going to rehab!".

Joker is a fucking nut job, in every single way. He will *never* stop being the way he is, it's completely ridiculous to think that Batman believes he can change him, or anyone for that matter.

Batman resorting to killing would "put him into a dark place". It's a path he simply does not wish to go down.

Exactly why it's needed. He needs to go down that dark place, he's Batman for crying out loud! He dresses as a Bat and broods around Gotham beating up thugs and generally scaring the shit out of anyone he meets. The no-kill policy is a staple of Batman, and because of that...it's predictable. You know that when Joker or whoever gets captured by him, he'll put him away and he'll escape and rinse and repeat. So why not flip things a bit and finally do what he promised himself he would never do? Think about how it would evolve him as a character, he would get through it, no matter how tough it was. Or he wouldn't. Those are story paths that could change the formula.

As you can tell, quite a few people here are interested in something *more* than the norm. Batman catching the bad guy and the bad guy escaping gets old real fucking fast, and it's exactly why him breaking his personal oath, his identity essentially, would make for an incredibly interesting story.

Well, lucky it's a sidequest, but Deadshot fell right through the floor and does not respawn upon restarting or re-entering the room he is in. So that's one sidequest I can never complete. :( I was never going to be able to get 100% anyway cause of multiplayer, but this is really disappointing.

WARNING: IF A BOSS FALLS THROUGH THE FLOOR, JUST QUIT IMMEDIATELY WITHOUT SAVING

KePoW

Banned
Batman resorting to killing would "put him into a dark place". It's a path he simply does not wish to go down.

I don't think that's the reason. I think it's because the comics want to keep Joker around.

I believe The English Conquistador is right... in real life, a sadistic nutjob like Joker would be given the death penalty ASAP.

I wish they would kill him off permanently in the comics and in video games too, can't stand the Joker. Just a crappy disgusting character.

I think the patch just broke the ending of the game. The whole final battle is just horribly glitched and cannot be passed. A bunch of other people in the Steam forums are having the problem and it seems it didn't hit until after the patch.

L00P

The tower glitch is fixed, you say? I guess it's time to go back in gotham

I think the patch just broke the ending of the game. The whole final battle is just horribly glitched and cannot be passed. A bunch of other people in the Steam forums are having the problem and it seems it didn't hit until after the patch.

...nvm

Derrick01

Banned
I think I'm pretty close to the end so I'm not sure if I want to keep playing right now. Guess I could always do challenge maps. It's been a hell of a ride though and I'd like to finish the story while the high from the past ~5+ hours is still going.

Imbarkus

Batman killing. Fucking heresy. Go play The Punisher! In Russia!

Rnr1224

Slowly but surely hunting down the enigma data packs. Just finished all of the city ones, now its time for the ones inside buildings!

guek

Banned
Just started. About an hour in. Big improvement on wii u over AC. Framerate jitters every so often but mostly locked at 30 it seems. Worst part about the game so far is no Kevin Conroy :-(

edit: HAH! But they got Robert Costanzo from BtAS to reprise the role of Bullock! That's hilarious.

Psykoboy2

HAH! But they got Robert Costanzo from BtAS to reprise the role of Bullock! That's hilarious.

I thought that was him. Wasn't sure if it was an impression or actually the same voice actor. Good to know my hearing memory hasn't failed me just yet.

GafferGamgee

Neo Member
Isn't one of the reasons that Batman hasn't killed The Joker that he expects him to be cured eventually?

Hell, I'm pretty sure it's referenced directly in The Killing Joke.

Have you heard Grant Morrison's take on the final pages of The Killing Joke....

Totally made me rethink everything...

Top Bottom