• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

zainetor

Banned
I feel that this suit actually protects Batman in that it has padding and all that. Tights doesn't have that same feel. <.<

Also, I kinda hate the underwear. Same with Superman.

8yBUrYL.jpg

Yeah, I cant stand the underpants aymore. They look dumb.
AO suit solves the problem and at the same time, provides contrast in the pelvic area.

Yea, I dug the beyond suit too. It was could to have a suit without a cape, but it bugged me how the eyes went a bit weird in scenes where he spoke. That was a good one. I like the noel suit in this, but I haven';t really enjoyed the other skins so far.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, I dug the beyond suit too. It was could to have a suit without a cape, but it bugged me how the eyes went a bit weird in scenes where he spoke. That was a good one. I like the noel suit in this, but I haven';t really enjoyed the other skins so far.

No love for Gotham By Gaslight?! That suit kicks ass.

No love for Gotham By Gaslight?! That suit kicks ass.

Haha, well you probably guess by the avatar, I am an abosltuely HUGE Mignola fan, I absolutely adore the mignolaverse (just recently achieved *every trade released* status), so I was excited to see they were doing a Gaslight skin. The actual realisation of it though, I don't know. I think alot of that is to do with actual realising Mignola's style outside of pure artwork into a 3D model (hellboy never looked right to me in the movies either). If they had actually altered the character model's shape more oppose to just putting a skin on it, I think it would work better but yea, I'm not sure on it. Thumbs up to the book though!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, well you probably guess by the avatar, I am an abosltuely HUGE Mignola fan, I absolutely adore the mignolaverse (just recently achieved *every trade released* status), so I was excited to see they were doing a Gaslight skin. The actual realisation of it though, I don't know. I think alot of that is to do with actual realising Mignola's style outside of pure artwork into a 3D model (hellboy never looked right to me in the movies either). If they had actually altered the character model's shape more oppose to just putting a skin on it, I think it would work better but yea, I'm not sure on it. Thumbs up to the book though!

I quite like it as a "realistic" vision of the Mignola suit, but I can see where you are coming from.

EDIT: Imagine if they gave it the same treatment they did the TAS costumes in AC. *drool*

strafer

Locking the upgrades is so incredible stupid. I wanted to get the quicker silent takedown as soon as possible but noooooo, it's locked.

Just open all up and let us choose which ones to take.

SJRB

Gold Member
Locking the upgrades is so incredible stupid. I wanted to get the quicker silent takedown as soon as possible but noooooo, it's locked.

Just open all up and let us choose which ones to take.

I seriously didn't notice any difference after the silent takedown speed upgrade. If there is a speed boost, it must be 0.3 seconds or something.

Lima

I've finished everything but the Enigma data things. Spoil me.

Gordon should try to reach you via Batman's com system. He tells you that 20 prisoners escaped from Blackgate after the fight with Bane and Joker. All you then have to do is find them (they will be marked on the map) and apprehend them so they can get picked up to be brought back to the prison.

I've finished everything but the Enigma data things. Spoil me.

Have you done
Shiva?
She's the only one for me that didn't appear on the map first, I had to go find the...thing..that activates that sidequest, then her markers started popping up. All the rest will appear in their own time after various story ponits, all the way up to post end of the story

If you've never watched Batman Beyond... you need to!

the funny thing is, i found bruce to look terrible in the beyond suit. his build just doesn't work with the sleekness of the outfit.

btw: anyone ever figure out what the title of the game is about? I don't recall any mention of arkham asylum in this, and this isn't really a batman origins story... but you can argue it is the origins of his relationship with
joker.

the funny thing is, i found bruce to look terrible in the beyond suit. his build just doesn't work with the sleekness of the outfit.

btw: anyone ever figure out what the title of the game is about? I don't recall any mention of arkham asylum in this, and this isn't really a batman origins story... but you can argue it is the origins of his relationship with
joker.

Haha, it's not Bruce man, in the bat suit in BB. EIDT: I am a fucking moron haha I read that somehow as you thinking Bruce was in the suit in the cartoon. Forget me please. I am idiot.

Yea I guess it's just the origins of him meeting all the future inmates, and they do mention the arkham wing of Blackgate, but I expected after
Blackgate getting wrecked a second time at the end, we'd see Arkham Asylum established with the joker locked up in it. Instead they tease the suicide squad? Random ha.
. Within the context of the game, this is batman moving from fighting actual criminal gangsters, to the crazies, so it's the origin of him meeting the kind of people Arkham will be required for I guess.

Haha, it's not Bruce man, in the bat suit in BB. EIDT: I am a fucking moron haha I read that somehow as you thinking Bruce was in the suit in the cartoon. Forget me please. I am idiot.

Yea I guess it's just the origins of him meeting all the future inmates, and they do mention the arkham wing of Blackgate, but I expected after
Blackgate getting wrecked a second time at the end, we'd see Arkham Asylum established with the joker locked up in it. Instead they tease the suicide squad? Random ha.

bruce was wearing the beyond suit in the show pilot though.

Double D

Gordon should try to reach you via Batman's com system. He tells you that 20 prisoners escaped from Blackgate after the fight with Bane and Joker. All you then have to do is find them (they will be marked on the map) and apprehend them so they can get picked up to be brought back to the prison.

Well I don't remember anything like that happening. And evn if it did, I have no new map markers. Now that I think about it I haven't finished the crime scene stuff. Does that have anything to do with it?

So, has the theory that the story DLC they've been teasing and revealed absolutely nothing about is about
Deathstroke and the Suicide Squad
been thrown around?

I unlocked the new 52 suit last night. I'm liking it a lot. I think it makes Batman the perfect size. Not rocksteady jacked, but also not as thin as the year one outfit. Just wish it was as high res as the default suit( PC version). It looks good for the most part except in the shoulder area.

BeberMan

Neo Member
So far this game is great, better than City IMO. It just feels a lot more focused and interesting, even though they share the same mechanics. The combat improved by making it much more fast paced and requires some thinking as opposed to previous games.
The fight with
Deathstroke
was especially awesome. These are the kinds of things that were missing for me in City, these memorable moments that were also present in Asylum.

Ah, I missed that post. Seems like that's the direction they're headed, because teasing something in a prequel that we know doesn't come to fruition in the sequels is kind of dumb. lol

Agreed. They also have already shown us they have assets such as
moves and animations for Deathstroke and Joker done. Not sure if those last two would be included and they just make it up of the villains from this game or if they do a proper true SS,
but it shows the foundation is there anyway. I suppose this could be their next project if it's not Batman, but something makes me think it's DLC.

Agreed. They also have already shown us they have assets such as
moves and animations for Deathstroke, Black Mask, and Joker done. Not sure if those last two would be included and they just make it up of the villains from this game or if they do a proper true SS,
but it shows the foundation is there anyway. I suppose this could be their next project if it's not Batman, but something makes me think it's DLC.

Indeed. Another thing is that seemed odd was to choose Deathstroke as a playable character in the challenge maps. If they go in this direction, then it totally makes sense because there's another reason why he exists as playable.

I hadn't considered, though, that WBM may
spin-off of AO into SS while Rocksteady is off doing whatever it is they do.
Buuut, in light of Deathstroke already being playable, the DLC theory is the likeliest. We know Joker was playable in AA on the PS3, so there's that too. Did Black Mask end up being playable in that GameStop exclusive DLC? EDIT: quick Google search says Eric Holmes tried to disperse confusion and that Black Mask is not playable in that map pack.

Indeed. Another thing is that seemed odd was to choose Deathstroke as a playable character in the challenge maps. If they go in this direction, then it totally makes sense because there's another reason why he exists as playable.

I hadn't considered, though, that WBM may
spin-off of AO into SS while Rocksteady is off doing whatever it is they do.
Buuut, in light of Deathstroke already being playable, the DLC theory is the likeliest. We know Joker was playable in AA on the PS3, so there's that too. Did Black Mask end up being playable in that GameStop exclusive DLC?

Nah sorry, I forgot the gamestop pre-order dlc was originally reported as having black mask playable but it was just maps, my bad. Deathstroke though, and Joker is playable during his dream sequence, and as you said AA.

I I think the ending is more about a new game than dlc. They've said numerous times they've been working on a game based on that, even more recently.

Huh, so out of the nine DLC challenge maps I have (Knightfall, Deathstroke, and Black Mask packs) one is brand new and one is a remake of an Arkham City map (the GCPD). The others are from the campaign though the Knightfall ones are at least on fire a bit, lol.

Aren't all 3 of the Knightfall predator rooms reskinned ones from AC? One is the room where you fight Freeze; another is the Museum; and I can't remember the 3rd.

No way man, simply based on the fact DC (or Marvel) are not keen ever on having their superheroes age or be *that* old. The 5 years thing is probably accurate, that how long he's been *active* in the new 52, so that's probably the portrayal they're currently comfortable with. God forbid a comic character age haha.

Depending on how old they are in AO, they wouldn't be that old in AA/AC. If Bruce is 20-25 in AO, he'd only be 35-40, but AO is probably only 10 years before them.

Not like it matters though, we'd only ever see an older Bruce if they go in a Dark Knight Returns or Batman Beyond direction.

So this game takes place after Asylum, but before Arkham City?

I finished Asylum, played half way through A.City (I enjoyed it, but something came up so I had to drop it).

Would it be okay to play through Arkham Origins first, and then go back to Arkham City? I feel that it's been so long since I played my saved game in Arkham City that I'd just feel lost and confused, and I would rather start up fresh again with Arkham Origins, finish it - and then go back and finish Arkham City? Suggestions?

RPGCrazied

Anyone else having framerate issues on PS3? Mostly when gliding.

I barely even touched the story, just did deathstroke and have been running around collecting datapacks, network relays.

haikira

I finished Asylum, played half way through A.City (I enjoyed it, but something came up so I had to drop it).

Would it be okay to play through Arkham Origins first, and then go back to Arkham City? I feel that it's been so long since I played my saved game in Arkham City that I'd just feel lost and confused, and I would rather start up fresh again with Arkham Origins, finish it - and then go back and finish Arkham City? Suggestions?

I think it's set before both Asylum and City.

What does anyone think are the chances of some free DLC for all the glitchyness that we've had to put up with?

Arkham City had a free "Batman Inc." skin, just as a "special thanks for continued support". I'd imagine they'd want to smooth things over once the inevitable patches come out.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Anyone else having framerate issues on PS3? Mostly when gliding.

I barely even touched the story, just did deathstroke and have been running around collecting datapacks, network relays.

It would happen to me after long play sessions. Quitting and relaunching the game usually cleared it up for me.

joker.

During the credits, you hear an interview with Quincy Sharp on the Jack Ryder Show. It addresses this question.

What gave you that impression? I think it'd be fine to play AO then AC, outside of the possibility that if you went straight form one to one you might have similar open world fatigue. Both have stories worth enjoying though imo, the combat is built on the same mechanics but have different pacing and flows, I think city has a better actual city to explore, yea, I think it would be fine. I'd normally advise playing the older game first, but outside of the graphical improvements here, I don't think you'd lose much playing City after, if its what you really want to do. I won't , for exmaple, advise playing AO then AA at all, because the combat is such a drop off.

During the credits, you hear an interview with Quincy Sharp on the Jack Ryder Show. It addresses this question.

Completely missed that man, skipped the credits. Thanks for that, will be going back and paying attention now haha.

Hixx

I've just finished it. They got some things so very right (story, character design, making the side-quests more accessible) and some things so very wrong (combat, skill trees, bugs, the city). If you took the story out it would be comfortably be on the bottom of the pile of the three games so far but they really nailed that.

The combat just doesn't seem properly balanced for the tweaks they made to enemy aggression and speed, plus locking away genuinely important abilities behind the side quests (which are sprinkled right the way through the story so you can't just do them quickly to get the abilities) was a terrible idea. Yet on the flipside once you do have these things, combined with the Shock Gloves you can turn into an unstoppable wrecking ball which kind of makes the game too easy. So you go from one side to the other and it just comes back to the issue of balance.

I may finish up the collectibles and side quests when a patch comes but I tried to do two things after the credits rolled and they both bugged on me: an interrogation (couldn't interrogate him...) and a crime (victim appeared, no criminals!) and combined with how frustrated I got during the last segment of the game I think I need to take a break from it for a while.

RPGCrazied

It would happen to me after long play sessions. Quitting and relaunching the game usually cleared it up for me.

Glad its not just me. Supposedly there is another patch coming out this week, or so says eric holmes.

Not a deal breaker, but another thing I'm disappointed with is I can't run this game in 1080i/p. I could with AA/AC. Just strange that I can't in Origins, when its the same dang engine.

Ephemeris

What gave you that impression? I think it'd be fine to play AO then AC, outside of the possibility that if you went straight form one to one you might have similar open world fatigue. Both have stories worth enjoying though imo, the combat is built on the same mechanics but have different pacing and flows, I think city has a better actual city to explore, yea, I think it would be fine. I'd normally advise playing the older game first, but outside of the graphical improvements here, I don't think you'd lose much playing City after, if its what you really want to do. I won't , for exmaple, advise playing AO then AA at all, because the combat is such a drop off.

Mastering the combat in AO would make him a better AC player

I've just finished it. They got some things so very right (story, character design, making the side-quests more accessible) and some things so very wrong (combat, skill trees, bugs, the city). If you took the story out it would be comfortably be on the bottom of the pile of the three games so far but they really nailed that.

The combat just doesn't seem properly balanced for the tweaks they made to enemy aggression and speed, plus locking away genuinely important abilities behind the side quests (which are sprinkled right the way through the story so you can't just do them quickly to get the abilities) was a terrible idea. Yet on the flipside once you do have these things, combined with the Shock Gloves you can turn into an unstoppable wrecking ball which kind of makes the game too easy. So you go from one side to the other and it just comes back to the issue of balance.

I may finish up the collectibles and side quests when a patch comes but I tried to do two things after the credits rolled and they both bugged on me: an interrogation (couldn't interrogate him...) and a crime (victim appeared, no criminals!) and combined with how frustrated I got during the last segment of the game I think I need to take a break from it for a while.

I agree. Using the shock gloves in the challenge rooms is key to easily achieve 3 stars. Highest combo string I got to using them was around x120. lol

I really agree with that. I like that they tweaked it to make it harder, but agree that they didn't make up for it in certain ways which leads to an element of frustration, then the shock gloves just completely throw it the other way, to a ridiculous degree. Is that what combat was like in the Wii U version of Ac, it had a charge up thing right?

I do think this nails the interior environments over AC too though, in addition to the story and the score, so I wouldn't quite get onboard that sans story this is the worst game (for that reason), but I think you nailed some good points there. Not sure about the crime problem but restarting at a checkpoint should sort your interrogation prob, although you'll have to go fight the group again.

Mastering the combat in AO would make him a better AC player

This is true haha, I reckon if I'd went AO then AC, you'd wreck the combat. Although, you don't get those gloves, so it's hard to judge how it would feel to lose those if it's all you knew. This game doesn't throw in the two person/three person counters nearly enough either, you have to be on your feet for those in AC.

I agree. Using the shock gloves in the challenge rooms is key to easily achieve 3 stars. Highest combo string I got to using them was around x120. lol

I feel as though the Shock Gloves were a nifty idea, sort of like a power up for getting a high combo rating. But the problem is that's not how it works, it's for whatever blow you deal and it doesn't have to be sequential. And I don't know if it carries over from round to round in the challenge maps (haven't touched them yet), but that would make them insanely broken.

Top Bottom