• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Tsukumo

I just beat Deathstroke.

Do you get a second fight with him? I heard all these things about how he was the best boss fight in the series and what I get is a second rate Ra's al Ghul fight.

Am I missing something?

That fight shows its true value when you disable the counter warnings. The game actually slows down giving you a good deal of reacting span to parry his attacks. It's possibly the most cinematographic fight in the entire game, with no hud and almost no bullshit boss tricks to make AO look more difficult then the previous titles.

I think they just increased the rate at which enemies attack without adjusting anything else. It makes for some intense moments, but overall it makes the combat more focused on countering and avoiding attacks than controlling large groups.

It was much more satisfying for me in AC while still being a decent challenge. I don't mind enemies attack more frequently, but it doesn't seem to have been balanced for at all. If the series' developers continue to go this route, more actions needs to be cancel-able, or the player needs to be able to counter during any other action.

I agree with you, especially on the countering argument. They were SO CLOSE to make this game into another Assassin's Creed boring mess.
Anyway, I think they put more emphasis on crowd control through gadgets: I think they wanted for people to make more frequent use of freeflow focused gadgets, multi-ground takedown, concussion detonations, and bat-swarm.
The biggest appeal for me in the combat are actually the thugs comments: when you start nailing combos the stuff that they to say to provoke you, ask for mercy and despair for the "inevitable" outcome are really fun and adrenaline rushing.
I lost it when I was fighting a Black mask armored thug in the Steel Mill and he went "ARE YOU IGNORING ME?! HEY, STUCAZZ!!" (stucazz is Italian for a-hole).

Im still having trouble unlocking the batman one million suit for PC. Ive logged into my WBID account on both the single player and multiplayer and it still has not unlocked. is there anything im missing?

Have you more then one account? I had two and I wasn't getting the OM skin but I went back to Injustice, then selected another account through the in-game menu, went back to Origins, and it unlocked.

Also, whats the consensus on if the seasons pass is worth it or not? ive seen that its mostly skins for now but will the future content justify the price?

First of all, the most important thing to stress in terms of pure money value is that of the two skin packs you pay, one features almost only costumes which unlock FOR FREE through the game. With the exception being the First Appearance skin you can only get through the collector's edition.
I regret it in part because of the bs about the game having more real-time cut-scenes, when it clearly has even more pre-rendered then both Asylum and City put together. I had great enthusiasm and expectation for the feature of more cinemactics played through custom outfits.
Also the camera pans so much out during the fights, you hardly enjoy the different details in the costumes. Unless maybe in predator rooms if you don't spam the detective vision.
On the other hand, I'm ok with it because the team's efforts got seriously shafted by game-"critics" (especially if you look at the scores AC4 got, WTF) and I feel I gave the game the support it deserves. I'd rather get more of this in spite of the PR lies and the whole Deathstroke affair, then see Holmes and the other guys at WB not getting another shot at this.
And yeah, perching on lampposts while sporting the Gotham by Gaslight has a unique feeling to it ;D

DukeBobby

Oh man, that entire
hotel
level. That was some intense stuff and the story parts right after it was great. This really is on a whole different level from the past 2 games. Games like this should really start exploring darker themes more often.

Easily the best part of the game. In fact, I'd go far as to say that's it's the best level in the whole Arkham series.

Personally, I feel like there's something a bit "off" about them, compared to AC's fights. I can't quite put my finger on what that might be, though.

With AC combat had a definite rhythm to it thats just effed up in this game...that combined with some just strange enemy types that dont seem to flow well with the rest of the combat (martial artist im looking at you)

Also the camera swings wildly once you get hit, usually resulting in more damage since its disorienting as hell. The camera seems to point to the guy that just hit you, which is NEVER the enemy to deliver the follow up attack causing you to constantly be sucker punched by some asshole off screen because the camera is completely borked for combat.

I still like this game but its pretty much the only Arkham game that the combat got me completely pissed off in a few spots (seriously eff all the Bane fights)

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
Hey guys so I have a problem..... I have been backtracking to get the riddler datapacks and I think I might be stuck....

Basically I have been going through the GCPD to get the missing packs, and I am at the area in the sewers where there is a huge amount of explosive barrels and an elevator that you take down (that must be a pushed button not a batarang activated one). On one direction as far as I can go there is a bunch of sewer water that seems to go nowhere, and making a glue raft doesnt seem to help as there are no points to attach the batclaw. On the other side is the spot I mentioned with the explosive barrels and the elevator. I think the problem is that the elevator is up higher than me but it should be on the same level so I can ride it back up. I believe the name on the map of the room I am in is "water treatment" or something really similar.
I'm hoping that someone can help me out as I literally have about 3 datapacks in the game to go, and have already dealt with a corrupt save once. It wouldnt suprise me if it is a bug, as areas that are ticked off as fully riddler complete still have green datapacks on them. Might be an issue with picking some up in new game plus then going back to normal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jaaam!

All Campaigns completed. All on my own, without looking for tips.

this propane remote claw thing is driving me insane
At best I've knocked out two in pursuit of defeating worst nightmare 14.

I did it when you go inside the bridge, during the encounter with the hostages. I batarang'd the extinguisher under the two guys talking and put some gel on the wall to the left of where you start, then made my way across the room near the scaffold with another breakable wall and ceiling, and detonated the gel.

3 guys went to investigate and one didn't, I cluster-glued the 3 guys and stealthed the other; when the 3 guys broke free I triple-rang'd them and two went down, so I quickly fired the Remote Claw at the guy standing and *ziiiip* *BOOM* Challenge complete.

You can then knock out the last challenge when you return to the room as new guys are in there.

So according to the Batman AO wiki the game is set five years before AA.

Very short time period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Arkham_Origins

I would guess this takes place 15-20 years before AA, based on how aged Joker looks in AA/AC.

Rnr1224

Have you more then one account? I had two and I wasn't getting the OM skin but I went back to Injustice, then selected another account through the in-game menu, went back to Origins, and it unlocked.

I dont believe that i have another account. There isnt one in recent memory that at least.

Also, whats the consensus on if the seasons pass is worth it or not? ive seen that its mostly skins for now but will the future content justify the price?
Personally I am going to skip the season pass, trade in the game when I'm done, then buy the inevitable Complete Edition when it comes out with all DLC included.

But if you're interested in the DLC content, I think there will be more than skins:

Batman: Arkham Origins' Initiation DLC stars Bruce Wayne in Asia
Batman publisher Warner Bros. Interactive recently revealed the contents of Arkham Origins' Season Pass, which includes the Initiation add-on. It'll offer you a chance to play as Wayne before he became the Bat and see him prove himself worthy to "his greatest teacher, Kirigi" - a ninja who taught Ra's al Ghul's League of Assassins.

Ephemeris

Just finished the game.

What a ride. Letting the credits roll as I type this.

Story wise? No contest, Origins wins.

I'm not a huge fan of the Joker, but he was better here in Origins than in City. That said, I'm hoping for small doses from here on out.

A pity about the technical issues. Tarnishes what ends up being my fave of the series and personal GOTY. No complaints about the voice acting, the pacing was great from the
hotel
on. Overall, hats off to the team.

Haven't dabbled with the multi as of yet. May do that permadeath mode first. If PS3 BATGAF hosts any sessions, I'd be down though.

I LOVE ME SOME ANGRY VIGILANTE BATMAN.

Jaaam!

All Campaigns completed. All on my own, without looking for tips.

I would guess this takes place 15-20 years before AA, based on how aged Joker looks in AA/AC.

I did 14 pre-
firefly
fight, and 15 was easy to do in
blackgate.
. Last two things I needed to do to complete all the Dark Knight stuff.

There's a quote during the loading screens that I don't remember from the game. It says something like "the year is eighteen hundred and fifty-five. My death fast approaches and there is naught that I can do to stop it."

The whole way games are reviewed and thus Arkham Origins is viewed as over warmed trash by the mass media really makes me angry.

Hats off to Rocksteady who obviously laid the groundwork....but this game is by far better than City, and I'd venture to say Asylum as well. Then again, I hated City. The way you entered the City and encountered 90% of the villains you would meet in the first ten minutes just irritated the heck out of me.

I haven't finished this game yet but DEAR GOD I never thought someone would make me enjoy a origin for
The Joker
of all people, a character who I was beyond sick of after the last two games. Yet his stuff is brilliant!

Hey guys so I have a problem..... I have been backtracking to get the riddler datapacks and I think I might be stuck....

Basically I have been going through the GCPD to get the missing packs, and I am at the area in the sewers where there is a huge amount of explosive barrels and an elevator that you take down (that must be a pushed button not a batarang activated one). On one direction as far as I can go there is a bunch of sewer water that seems to go nowhere, and making a glue raft doesnt seem to help as there are no points to attach the batclaw. On the other side is the spot I mentioned with the explosive barrels and the elevator. I think the problem is that the elevator is up higher than me but it should be on the same level so I can ride it back up. I believe the name on the map of the room I am in is "water treatment" or something really similar.
I'm hoping that someone can help me out as I literally have about 3 datapacks in the game to go, and have already dealt with a corrupt save once. It wouldnt suprise me if it is a bug, as areas that are ticked off as fully riddler complete still have green datapacks on them. Might be an issue with picking some up in new game plus then going back to normal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had an absolute panic moment here, I had got stuck, just go back down and right where you got the riddler thing at the very end of the sewer trail, turn right. There's an exit to the surface through a manhole here that isn't marketed on the map but it's there. Pretty dumb not to just leave the lift on the level you got out on instead of defaulting it back up without any way to bring it down again. IF you want back in the GCPD you'll have to go back up to the rooftops.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I had an absolute panic moment here, I had got stuck or the game had got me stuck. Just go back down the down and right where you got the riddler thing at the very end of the sewer trail, turn right. There's an exit to the surface through a manhole here that isn't marketed on the map but it's there. Pretty dumb not to just leave the lift on the level you got out on instead of defaulting it back up without any way to bring it down again. IF you want back in the GCPD you'll have to go back up to the rooftops.

I ran into that too. It would have been less of an issue if the manhole exit was marked on the map.

Xux

Huh, so out of the nine DLC challenge maps I have (Knightfall, Deathstroke, and Black Mask packs) one is brand new and one is a remake of an Arkham City map (the GCPD). The others are from the campaign though the Knightfall ones are at least on fire a bit, lol.

Bad7667

The whole way games are reviewed and thus Arkham Origins is viewed as over warmed trash by the mass media really makes me angry.

Hats off to Rocksteady who obviously laid the groundwork....but this game is by far better than City, and I'd venture to say Asylum as well. Then again, I hated City. The way you entered the City and encountered 90% of the villains you would meet in the first ten minutes just irritated the heck out of me.

I haven't finished this game yet but DEAR GOD I never thought someone would make me enjoy a origin for
The Joker
of all people, a character who I was beyond sick of after the last two games. Yet his stuff is brilliant!

I don't understand how this game is reviewing worse than AC. It's paced better, the inside sections feel way more like AA and so far the boss battles are pretty awesome. And the story is way better than AC.

its just weird that this game gets called more of the same, yet everything it is doing is better in almost every way.

I haven't disagreed with reviews more since the garbage that was Assassins Creed 3.

I'm finding New Game Plus quite hard. These counters are not going through lol.

Finished the Enigma sidequest 100%, that was SUPER anti-climactic. At least the New 52 suit looks great.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
My favorite part of the whole game is that
Joker doesn't see Batman as a man in a suit, he literally is a Batman.

It really goes along with his latest appearance in the comic.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My favorite part of the whole game is that
Joker doesn't see Batman as a man in a suit, he literally is a Batman.

It really goes along with his latest appearance in the comic.

I LOVED how they depicted this stuff.
The whole back and forth between Joker and Harley where you play as him and see this was great, and it made a great ending scene as well.

All in all I really, really liked this. It's a damn shame it's so buggy, and there's stuff I'm not much of a fan of like the actual city traversal being fairly annoying, but the story is easily the best out of the three games and the midpoint on was all pretty stellar.

I don't understand how this game is reviewing worse than AC. It's paced better, the inside sections feel way more like AA and so far the boss battles are pretty awesome. And the story is way better than AC.

its just weird that this game gets called more of the same, yet everything it is doing is better in almost every way.

I haven't disagreed with reviews more since the garbage that was Assassins Creed 3.

I suppose the cynic in me would say that the reviews show reviewers up as often trying to guess what public opinion will be, then scoring towards it to seem *right*. The non cynic just says they consider the arkham series a tier above almost all others and review it quite harshly as a result, perhaps they see some of the innovations form the first two as really important to the industry. PErsonally I feel it does story better, in door environments better, visuals and art style better, but not everything. The combat is still fun but simply not as fun as AC, for me personally. The city in AC is also more interesting to hunt through, since the riddler stuff is more challenging and there's all the actual riddles.

Then again, while I think AC3 was a little bit of a letdown, particularly plotwise, I think the general opinion of here is extremely negative, and I wouldn't call it garbage in any way. So maybe the real explanation overall, is everyone will always have really divided views on this stuff haha.

Played a bit more last night and accidentally unlocked the last combat challenge (no hit, 50 combo, 15 variation). I'm not sure I should have as I'm certain I got hit at one point, but I ain't complainin'! lol.

I ended after encountering Firefly and am now at
Blackgate again

I take it I'm stuffed in regards to finishing sidequests, most wanted and Enigma datapacks. (I've cleared Old Gotham, and just have to mop up the bridge and New Gotham).

I hate having Point of No Return in open world games without any notification.

(I am aware I can just go back after finishing the story, but I wanted to finish it all up neatly before finishing the story).

Played a bit more last night and accidentally unlocked the last combat challenge (no hit, 50 combo, 15 variation). I'm not sure I should have as I'm certain I got hit at one point, but I ain't complainin'! lol.

I ended after encountering Firefly and am now at
Blackgate again

I take it I'm stuffed in regards to finishing sidequests, most wanted and Enigma datapacks. (I've cleared Old Gotham, and just have to mop up the bridge and New Gotham).

I hate having Point of No Return in open world games without any notification.

(I am aware I can just go back after finishing the story, but I wanted to finish it all up neatly before finishing the story).

Well, yes, you're past the point of no return, but there's stuff that you can't do until you've finished anyway, and it even makes sense in terms of the story. You couldn't have 100% the sidequests before the *end*.

Tsukumo

There's a quote during the loading screens that I don't remember from the game. It says something like "the year is eighteen hundred and fifty-five. My death fast approaches and there is naught that I can do to stop it."

It's a Cyrus Pinkney quote. It's the most important architect in Gotham's history. You can find plaques on the buildings he designed, and you have to scan them like the Anarky signs. First you enter detective mode, then you hold down L1. You get artwork unlocks and tapes unlock. Most of his stuff is in Old Gotham and is hidden really well.
There are videos on Youtube with all of them.

tim1138

Oh man, the
hotel
, the fight with Bane, and then the
Joker interlude where he meets Harley
. This game is so good, I think it has the best story of all three and is right up there with AA as best in series overall.

strafer

This is cool, never saw that.

At Lacey Towers
while heading to investigate the murder of Black Mask
, one of the doors with christmas garlands and lights surrounding it blocked by caution tape has a nameplate Dr. Penelope Young, Psychiatrist.

Dave1988

Oh man, that entire
hotel
level. That was some intense stuff and the story parts right after it was great. This really is on a whole different level from the past 2 games. Games like this should really start exploring darker themes more often.

Yeah, the
hotel
area is where things start to pick up and get really interesting all to the end of the game. Too bad it takes them so long to achieve this. If AO was as good from the start as it is in the later parts of the game, the game would really be something special.

SJRB

Gold Member
Well, yes, you're past the point of no return, but there's stuff that you can't do until you've finished anyway, and it even makes sense in terms of the story. You couldn't have 100% the sidequests before the *end*.

Wait, there's a point of no return? What the hell, no freeroaming after the story is finished?

No way man, simply based on the fact DC (or Marvel) are not keen ever on having their superheroes age or be *that* old. The 5 years thing is probably accurate, that how long he's been *active* in the new 52, so that's probably the portrayal they're currently comfortable with. God forbid a comic character age haha.

Wait, there's a point of no return? What the hell, no freeroaming after the story is finished?

No, I'm simply referring to point of no return in the same context as the guy I was replying to was using it, for his own understanding :) He had written he was aware that he could free roam after, so I rolled with the wording, and as I said, there's side content after. I'm just trying to be vague to be informative to the question but not spoil haha sorry if there was confusion.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Haha yea, but you see what happened to the vertigo series </3 I guess Punisher, but even then they often mess with which war he fought in, or even in Rucka's great run, they portrayed him looking bizarrely young and modelish at times haha.

Don't even get me started, mate. Hellblazer is/was my all-time favourite comic book, dagblammit!

Punisher is a good call. Was it the original Ennis run on Punisher MAX where Frank was over 50? That was a great. Barracuda was ridiculous! Not read Rucka's. Will check it out.

Don't even get me started, mate. Hellblazer is/was my all-time favourite comic book, dagblammit!

Punisher is a good call. Was it the original Ennis run on Punisher MAX where Frank was over 50? That was a great. Barracuda was ridiculous! Not read Rucka's. Will check it out.

Yep, that's the one, that run was intense. If you loved that, hmm, the Rucka run is great, but in context of a big main MU punisher book. If you love the Ennis stuff, you might not be as blown away by it. It's good writing and art though, definitely worth checking out. The new run sounds exciting too, the activity is a great book at image, same team. And we are way off topic haha.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, that's the one, that run was intense. If you loved that, hmm, the Rucka run is great, but in context of a big main MU punisher book. If you love the Ennis stuff, you might not be as blown away by it. It's good writing and art though, definitely worth checking out. The new run sounds exciting too, the activity is a great book at image, same team. And we are way off topic haha.

I'll give it a shot.

So... uh... Batman's tights... better than in AC's?

strafer

He does look good, way better than the steroid abuse of the other games, but I kind of wish they'd give a Year One-style non-armoured Batman a proper whirl.

I feel that this suit actually protects Batman in that it has padding and all that. Tights doesn't have that same feel. <.<

Also, I kinda hate the underwear. Same with Superman.

8yBUrYL.jpg

I love the suit in this, I think it's incredible actually. Agreed with Screaming Meat that given the post year one feel to the game, perhaps a more basic looking suit would have fit better narratively, but I do really really like the suit. I would might seeing it in one of the comics. I miss having the Bat Inc suit :/

SJRB

Gold Member
Don't worry. There is.

No, I'm simply referring to point of no return in the same context as the guy I was replying to was using it, for his own understanding :) He had written he was aware that he could free roam after, so I rolled with the wording, and as I said, there's side content after. I'm just trying to be vague to be informative to the question but not spoil haha sorry if there was confusion.

Pfew, thank god. For a moment there I was worried this game would pull a Far Cry 2 on me.

Xux

I like the hot pants for some reason. The Batman Inc suit looks weird without the speedo to break it up.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I feel that this suit actually protects Batman in that it has padding and all that. Tights doesn't have that same feel. <.<

Clearly, you haven't worn tights ;)

Also, I kinda hate the underwear. Same with Superman.

I'm pretty old-school, so I think the pants maketh the man! The best Batman get-ups so far are:

Dark Knight Returns
batman_arkham_city_skin_dark_knight.jpg

Gotham By Gaslight
Batman-Arkham-Origins-Gotham-by-Gaslight-Skin-Illustrated.jpg

Red Son (couldn't find an image from A:O)
maxresdefault.jpg

I really dig the suit with the red logo.[/IMG]

Batman Beyond? That was nice addition.

Top Bottom