• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does even that make sense?

Kryptonite as something physical when it needs to be breathed in? What? Or does the suit have exhaust vents that spew out kryptonian atmosphere?

Feels bogus.

Whaaat? You seem to be under the impression that MOS-verse Kryptonite is airborne, when it just simply hasn't been introduced yet. Yes in Man of Steel Supes has a reaction to the ships atmospherics but that mechanic doesn't replace Kryptonite, just produces a similar effect to it.

Regular 'ole Kryptonite is probably still going to come into play.

Tabby

Batman is a fucking detective.

But I'm sure he doesn't have a magical database full of knowledge about everything that knows Superman is weak to Kryptonite, considering Kryptonite doesn't even exists yet.

Eh I don't know. I liked the idea of Superman being weak to Kryptonian atmosphere and that fact that Kryptonite doesn't exist.
It's fine for comic books but Kryptonite just feels out of place for this universe they're trying to build.

But I'm sure he doesn't have a magical database full of knowledge about everything that knows Superman is weak to Kryptonite, considering Kryptonite doesn't even exists yet.

Eh I don't know. I liked the idea of Superman being weak to Kryptonian atmosphere and that fact that Kryptonite doesn't exist.
It's fine for comic books but Kryptonite just feels out of place for this universe they're trying to build.

Bat computer

That's too stupid to believe.

I refuse to believe Snyder is this dumb.

How does even that make sense?

Kryptonite as something physical when it needs to be breathed in? What? Or does the suit have exhaust vents that spew out kryptonian atmosphere?

Feels bogus.

How would that even work?
Kryptonite doesn't even exist, and how would Batman know to use it?
Afaik only the people on Zod's ship know that Superman has a weakness.

That's dumb as fuck. Please no Snyder.

Makes perfect sense to me, in a "who would win in a fight" sort of way.

A) Kryptonite is not included in MOS, doesn't mean it won't make an appearance at all.
B) Batman is, supposedly, the World's Greatest Detective. Figuring out that Supes was vulnerable to this particular substance isn't outside of the realm of possibility, unless he puts the suit together in the first 15 minutes of the movie.
C) Rockets on a mecha suit are cool.

Dahbomb

animation1dfg2zq7ggauxz.gif

Nicktendo86

Some serious fun police in this thread today. Been waiting my whole life to see batman in a crazy suit beating the shit out of superman. Who cares about logic? Bring it on!

Shame the teaser will be tied to the hobbit, thought the first two were snooze fests so no way will I go to see the third one.

Wait drat...

Seems like imax is citing a Hobbit site, which is citing a... Forbes article, which we talked about last week

Wouldn't IMAX know what studios are going to send along with their movies at this point, though? I can't imagine they'd link back to a story based on fan speculation if they weren't in some way confirming that the general story is in fact true.

IMAX is linking to the First Showing article, which is citing an EW article (Warners owned) and the Forbes article.

Makes perfect sense to me, in a "who would win in a fight" sort of way.

A) Kryptonite is not included in MOS, doesn't mean it won't make an appearance at all.
B) Batman is, supposedly, the World's Greatest Detective. Figuring out that Supes was vulnerable to this particular substance isn't outside of the realm of possibility, unless he puts the suit together in the first 15 minutes of the movie.
C) Rockets on a mecha suit are cool.

I agree with B, but I don't get how
kryptonite works with what we know of it from MoS. It's not something that can be harm him from simply being near it. He needs to breathe it in, so how does it work as something Bats can have on his suit?

Effect

Is there anything more official out there on the trailer that doesn't have this long trail to be followed that ultimately leads back to a rumor?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kryptonite is probably a radiation effect. So the suit can be irradiated with kryptonite and so can ammo/missiles/etc.

It's like nukes, it's a form of radiation from a source material. It was probably used as a power source for the ship. It makes Batman their Ironman: he gets the kryptonite and irradiates tech with it.

But to make an army of anti-supes drones you'd need more kryptonite to irradiate more stuff, so Lex will try to get more, somehow.

I agree with B, but I don't get how
kryptonite works with what we know of it from MoS. It's not something that can be harm him from simply being near it. He needs to breathe it in, so how does it work as something Bats can have on his suit?

IIRC, what harmed/depowered Superman in the movie was breathing in the Kryptonian atmosphere. This could just be a matter of synthesizing and concentrating whatever it was about the atmosphere, or it could be a different attack vector altogether.

IIRC, what harmed/depowered Superman in the movie was breathing in the Kryptonian atmosphere. This could just be a matter of synthesizing and concentrating whatever it was about the atmosphere, or it could be a different attack vector altogether.

I guess that makes some sense and it is something I could see detective Bats doing, but I'm really still not sold on the idea.

We'll see how it develops in the movie.

IconGrist

As shown by MoS once he got over the initial effect he adapted. So it would rob him of his abilities but it wouldn't hurt him. Same thing happened to Zod and Faora in reverse.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
How would that even work?
Kryptonite doesn't even exist, and how would Batman know to use it?
Afaik only the people on Zod's ship know that Superman has a weakness.

That's dumb as fuck. Please no Snyder.

So much this, I hope this is just some BS rumour cause otherwise fuck this film.

Kryptonite is probably a radiation effect. So the suit can be irradiated with kryptonite and so can ammo/missiles/etc..

That's usually how it works. Think of his weapons functioning as Silver Bullets, and the suit is laced with Kryptonite so Superman can't just punch it into oblivion. The ship Zod had in MoS wasn't made out of Kryptonite, it was setup to have an atmosphere identical to Krypton and block out sunlight, so when aboard it Kryptonians were essentially human. They were also wearing suits to shield themselves from the atmosphere if you remember, so when Clark busts Zod's helmet he's flooded with radiation from our Yellow Sun and gets a rush of the abilities Clark spent his entire life controlling.

guek

Banned
That's too stupid to believe.

I refuse to believe Snyder is this dumb.
Snyder is absolutely that dumb. He's the best dumb director in Hollywood. Give him a good script and keep him from changing it too much and he can make a visually entertaining and enjoyable movie. But this is the guy who had a 5 minute slow mo sex scene set to hallelujah culminating in a flamethrower ejaculation.

He can create visual wonders but I don't give him much credit beyond that.

But this is the guy who had a 5 minute slow mo sex scene set to hallelujah culminating in a flamethrower ejaculation.

It wasn't 5 minutes long, and was, like most of the movie, comics accurate.

That's what happens in the comic, after all. Complete with the owlship ejaculating.

guek

Banned
What's so dumb about a suit with kryptonite and missiles?

It all depends on how it's done. A literal kryptonite suit is pretty lazy though. The problem with aerosol attacks is also that superman doesn't have to breathe.

This movie is taking a ton from TDKR and while that book has its own fair share of problems, at least it shows batman putting together a complex plan to distract Clark long enough to hit him with a kryptonite arrow. Bruce outsmarts him with a plan, not a suit that was ever actually going to beat him. A kryptonite laced suit feels pretty cheap, but we'll see how it actually turns out.

I really wish they wouldn't have taken so much design influence from TDKR though. The teaser footage just reminds me of the mark 1 iron man suit. And if it's really the suit that Bruce depends on soley to go toe to toe with superman, that's all he'll be, a cheap clunky iron man.

Gleethor

It all depends on how it's done. A literal kryptonite suit is pretty lazy though. The problem with aerosol attacks is also that superman doesn't have to breathe.

This movie is taking a ton from TDKR and while that book has its own fair share of problems, at least it shows batman putting together a complex plan to distract Clark long enough to hit him with a kryptonite arrow. Bruce outsmarts him with a plan, not a suit that was ever actually going to beat him. A kryptonite laced suit feels pretty cheap, but we'll see how it actually turns out.

I really wish they wouldn't have taken so much design influence from TDKR though. The teaser footage just reminds me of the mark 1 iron man suit. And if it's really the suit that Bruce depends on soley to go toe to toe with superman, that's all he'll be, a cheap clunky iron man.

We should probably wait for more than 15 blurry seconds of footage to judge the clunkiness but I understand your concerns. But we know very little of the actual plot of this film, for all we know Bruce could very well just be using his suit knowing full well he can't actually take on clark but wants to test him.

Also, as Bobby pointed out, that flamethrower scene is whats actually printed in Watchmen, which is the source material Snyder was (very thoroughly) adapting when he made the film. He stuck it in to be faithful. Since BvS is not a straight adaptation of TDKR he is not beholden to it but there will certainly be nods.

guek

Banned
It wasn't 5 minutes long, and was, like most of the movie, comics accurate.

That's what happens in the comic, after all. Complete with the owlship ejaculating.

The scene in the comics isn't nearly as drawn out and the music selection is what really gets to me. The flamethrower is just the icing on the turd cake. Just because it happened in the comics doesn't mean it has to happen on screen. It could have been ok but they way he executed it...dreadful.

Snyder copied the comics almost to the very panel for a large majority of that movie without understanding the tiniest bit of criticism Alan Moore was levying against the superhero comic gene, coincidentally glorifying a lot of what Moore was trying to deconstruct. The extended cut of Watchmen is actually probably my favorite Snyder movie but man did the source material completely go over his head.

BadAss2961

I'd rather the suit be without kryptonite. But if it happens, there's nothing dumb about it. It's not like the movie won't have time to explain what's going on, or that Batman suddenly won't have a plan.

The armored suit should be flawed... Gives reason for Bruce not to use another one going forward. I'd also prefer it to be kind of makeshift and raggedy... It suits the character they're looking for in this Batman, and would make sense if Bruce didn't have all that much time to put it together.

Dahbomb

I said it before but I will say it again.

Without Kryptonite and a suped up armor there was no way Batman was ever going to be a threat for Superman. There is no other way to add real tension between the two unless Batman starts doing shit like taking Lois as a hostage.

I am not sure what people are expecting here in Batman VERSUS Superman. You guys think two comic book superheroes are going to settle their problems with each other through a heart to heart talk?

Nah son they are going to throw down in Batman's home turf.

karasu

Kryptonite never works as a final solution. And it's not exactly an exciting or creative way to go about fighting Superman. It's like beating Batman in his sleep. Big fucking deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom