• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Suicide Squad is planned for 2016 (lol) and they didn't think this out? They should all be communicating, and this appearance in a film releasing (lol) the same year as Dawn of Justice should have been locked in or abandoned when the original negotiations were completed.

Some planning and foresight would go a long way towards building a cinematic universe.

This is like Marvel has no planning when

1)Negotiating with RDJ to appear in Captain America 3, which is out 3 months before Suicide Squad!

2)Haven't cast Doctor Strange which is also out that year.

They found a director they liked, perhaps he had a different vision, and trying to work with Eisenberg, who apparently is in demand with several other films (Now You See Me 2 and a possible Zombieland sequel)

IconGrist

Gotten to a point where I immediately notice a combination keywords in a post and I move on to the next post. :p

EDIT: I'm dying at the trolling going on here, lmao.

ReiGun

This is like Marvel has no planning when

1)Negotiating with RDJ to appear in Captain America 3, which is out 3 months before Suicide Squad!

2)Haven't cast Doctor Strange which is also out that year.

They found a director they liked, perhaps he had a different vision, and trying to work with Eisenberg, who apparently is in demand with several other films (Now You See Me 2 and a possible Zombieland sequel)

That's all just a part of Marvel's grand plan, bro. RDJ, no one casts as Strange, replacing Wright on Ant-Man a month before filming.

All according to keikaku.

Alienous

That's all just a part of Marvel's grand plan, bro. RDJ, no one casts as Strange, replacing Wright on Ant-Man a month before filming.

All according to keikaku.

Marvel has shown they know what they are doing.

I'm extremely cynical about DC, though. I worry that bad planning could very easily send them straight back to a reboot.

liking (some of) the movies they make doesn't show anything about how they make the movies, nor does it belie any sort of firm understanding of their filmmaking process beyond the basic narrative that people parrot on messageboards when they get in their weird foam-finger waving back-n-forths.

This is literally some pro-wrestling shit.

W1YgxyV.gif

Blader

I'm extremely cynical about DC, though. I worry that bad planning could very easily send them straight back to a reboot.

Is Suicide Squad going to be so bad that it needs to be rebooted before it even comes out?

Fucking DC.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

You don't say? We couldn't tell. Why don't you wait for a few movies? Basing all this on MoS seems a bit uninformed.

I am personally excited as this means that Lex could be and probably is the Money funding Argus or Cadmus depending on which clandestine organization they role with.

Alienous

You don't say? We couldn't tell. Why don't you wait for a few movies? Basing all this on MoS seems a bit uninformed.

I'm basing this on past DC superhero movie performance. Superman Returns. Green Lantern. They don't have a good track record for coordination.

I'm basing this on past DC superhero movie performance. Superman Returns. Green Lantern. They don't have a good track record for coordination.

But again - the only reason you commented is because you found out David Ayer, who is directing (and currently rewriting) the script for Suicide Squad - is trying to coordinate things so his movie ties in closer with the rest of the movies occupying that universe.

Green Lantern and Superman Returns don't even apply as comparable situations at all. There was never any coordination with a larger universe to be had. There were no films in various forms of pre-production intended to use the same cinematic universe.

So David Ayer is actually DOING the thing you're criticizing him for not doing, while judging him against two examples that don't even work as a comparable scenario. All while not knowing how or why this particular character fits in not only this particular movie, but the movie(s) that are currently shooting.

You're basically just talking for the sake of talking. Because knowing what you're talking about just gets in the way of posting, doesn't it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah, because those totally have a lot to do with this new DC world they plan on rolling out the next 5 years.

Alienous

But again - the only reason you commented is because you found out David Ayer, who is directing (and currently rewriting) the script for Suicide Squad - is trying to coordinate things so his movie ties in closer with the rest of the movies occupying that universe.

Green Lantern and Superman Returns don't even apply as comparable situations at all. There was never any coordination with a larger universe to be had. There were no films in various forms of pre-production intended to use the same cinematic universe.

So David Ayer is actually DOING the thing you're criticizing him for not doing, while judging him against two examples that don't even work as a comparable scenario. All while not knowing how or why this particular character fits in not only this particular movie, but the movie(s) that are currently shooting.

You're basically just talking for the sake of talking. Because knowing what you're talking about just gets in the way of posting, doesn't it.

I don't know what this means.

I'm not criticizing Ayer, like you keep asserting. Just that I interpret having to vie for Eisenberg's involvement in a film within the larger filmic universe shows a lack of foresight on WB's part. But maybe when they cast Lex Luthor their plans didn't go as far as Suicide Squad, the next film in the universe after Dawn of Justice, which to me still shows a lack of foresight.

But I am admittedly being cynical, simply because delays and an extremely ambitious film line-up don't have me convinced that DC and WB know quite what they are doing. But I'm sure they employ people far more intelligent than I am, perhaps even as intelligent as yourself, so it's probably best I don't think about it lest my brain fry.

Penguin

To be nice, I don't think anyone expects this plan to go through without any hiccups. No plan does. It's how they react and rally around it that will matter.

I mean you say Marvel has their house in order, but since the universe has started

-Ditched plans for a Nick Fury solo film
-Moved Ant-Man out of Phase 1 and II
-Recast WarMachin
-Recast The Hulk
-Ditched plans for Hulk solo movies for now
-Ditched plans for a Black Widow solo film
-Had to scramble with Ant-Man directing directors and rewriting the script quickly before filming
-Still can't seem to nail down the Doctor Strange casting

And we still got solid movies out of them.

To be nice, I don't think anyone expects this plan to go through without any hiccups. No plan does. It's how they react and rally around it that will matter.

I mean you say Marvel has their house in order, but since the universe has started

-Recast WarMachin
-Recast The Hulk
-Had to scramble with Ant-Man directing directors and rewriting the script quickly before filming

Don't forget the Hulk TV series.

Alienous

-Recast WarMachin
-Recast The Hulk

Yeah, you're right there. T

Maybe through sheer will DC could make a cohesive cinematic universe work in the next 6 years. I hope so. I'm just not convinced, 's all.

You are putting it in perspective, though. Thanks for bothering.

-Recast WarMachin
-Recast The Hulk

Eh, the three bolded examples are pretty dubious, since AFAIK those never made it much beyond script development. Not like they ever made it into pre-production.

Better examples: the retconning of the Stark scene in Incredible Hulk, the Runaways film being canned in what I presume to have been active pre-production (the director and script were locked, and they were beginning the casting process), and Patty Jenkins being fired from what became Thor: TDW.

I would also note, on the DC side, that Snyder outright denied that MoS would have any connection to the Justice League film a few months before production began, so... yeah.

Penguin

Eh, the three bolded examples are pretty dubious, since AFAIK those never made it much beyond script development. Not like they ever made it into pre-production.

Better examples: the retconning of the Stark scene in Incredible Hulk, the Runaways film being canned in what I presume to have been active pre-production (the director and script were locked, and they were beginning the casting process), and Patty Jenkins being fired from what became Thor: TDW.

I would also note, on the DC side, that Snyder outright denied that MoS would have any connection to the Justice League film a few months before production began, so... yeah.

To be fair, it could have just as easily been the same thing as Jason Momoa denying he's Aquaman.

They knew, but couldn't say so tried their damndest to deny it.

Though just as easily, could be Warner be like we're tired of dicking around so next one Batman and Wonder Woman!

That was him talking about the planned Justice League movie that was in pre-production and casted and then ultimately canceled.

No, you're thinking of Justice League Mortal, which was cast and scrapped years earlier. This was a different Justice League film, slated for 2013 release at the time (Man of Steel was still slated for Christmas 2012 back then), that never got to pre-production, AFAIK.

Also, Bobby really needs to tone it down with the smartest-guy-in-the-room syndrome, but that's not news.

To be fair, it could have just as easily been the same thing as Jason Momoa denying he's Aquaman.

They knew, but couldn't say so tried their damndest to deny it.

Though just as easily, could be Warner be like we're tired of dicking around so next one Batman and Wonder Woman!

They were developing a different Justice League film at the time (the one Will Beall was writing, AFAIK), so I doubt it.

Maddocks

No, you're thinking of Justice League Mortal, which was cast and scrapped years earlier. This was a different Justice League film, slated for 2013 release at the time (Man of Steel was still slated for Christmas 2012 back then), that never got to pre-production, AFAIK.

Also, Bobby really needs to tone it down with the smartest-guy-in-the-room syndrome, but that's not news.

oops, I read it wrong. My mistake.

So many ppl were talking shit about george miller's justice league but after seeing armie hammer in social network and George miller's bomb ass fury road trailer I bet that would have been a really interestjng movie

Maybe a mess but still a hell of a lot more interesting than other comic book efforts

Hopefully mad max is a success and WB offers him a chance to take on one of these films, assuming he doesn't want to jump straight to the next max movie of course

IconGrist

Man of Steel was written as a standalone. It was sort of hurried through development. I can't recall the exact details but MoS was basically released to keep the creators family from taking Superman (in some form) from DC/WB.

So many ppl were talking shit about george miller's justice league but after seeing armie hammer in social network and George miller's bomb ass fury road trailer I bet that would have been a really interestjng movie

Maybe a mess but still a hell of a lot more interesting than other comic book efforts

Hopefully mad max is a success and WB offers him a chance to take on one of these films, assuming he doesn't want to jump straight to the next max movie of course

The script had some flaws, like clunky dialogue and an embarrassingly terrible Bruce/Talia flashback, but it would have been pretty interesting to see a superhero film set in a fully-formed comic book universe with most or all of the characters already established.

It sounds like the Snyderverse approach to getting around origin stories will be to retcon (reminder that that word isn't always a pejorative, folks!) at least a few of the Justice League operating secretly during and before the MoS timeframe, which I'm not exactly sold on, but I guess we'll see.

Miller's Justice League, had it happened as written, would've been ludicrous. Nothing in comic movies today match the weirdness in the script.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Not to put too fine a point on it, but Luthor can be in the Suicide Squad movie without actually being a member of the squad. That has some potential.

get the fuck outta here with your logic, WB/DC doesn't know what they are doing, trainwreck, clusterfuck etc.. etc..

It sounds like the Snyderverse approach to getting around origin stories will be to retcon (reminder that that word isn't always a pejorative, folks!) at least a few of the Justice League operating secretly during and before the MoS timeframe, which I'm not exactly sold on, but I guess we'll see.

How I'd do it.

Batman- Already spoken for

Green Lantern- Hal is already a GL, but has never had to do any work on earth so no one has ever seen him be GL except Carol.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman- After the events of MoS, Hippolyta/Arthur decides that it is in the best interest of Themyscira/Atlantis to reveal themselves to the rest of the world and sends Diana/Himself as their representative.

Flash and Cyborg- Have their respective accidents during or after the events of MoS

guek

Banned
Heh, I'd actually really enjoy a comic showing batman tinkering in the shadows during MoS, pulling strings and ensuring Zod and co. would end up defeated, solving problems not even shown in the MoS film. It'd be a delightfully stupid premise that I'd likely find really entertaining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom