• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I think we're all forgetting that without kryptonite we cannot have a trite scene with Lois and Clark on a date and Lois ordering desert while saying, "Chocolate is my kryptonite!"

MisterHero

The sun gives him powers :p
Krypton is much more massive than Earth. Even without the sun, Superman has the proportional strength of ants, can jump like a grasshopper, etc.

Batman ain't doing jack shit to Supes. A freaking terraformer couldn't destroy him.

As for kryptonite, growing the particulates from MoS into kryptonite crystals isn't out of the question.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I've just never been a fan of Kryptonite. Like ever.

I'm with you on that. Kryptonite itself is a byproduct of making Superman too strong.

It's one of the reasons I always preferred Martian Manhunter. Dude is overpowered as fuck, but his weakness is common, easily produced fire.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Well, if it flew through the sun possibly.

Remember its not that its a piece of the planet, but the fact it gets irradiated on the journey that makes it a weakness.

Sure, it's comic book science, but it has always made sense.

What never made sense was when it was in such numerous supplies for story sake.

Should have run out eons ago.

That's another thing, there is no debris that went on "a journey" in MoS, the planet did a weird stasis explosion, basically all debris stopped in its tracks right after the explosion. And even if it did go on "a journey", krypton is so far away, debris would simply never reach earth (27 lightyears away).

Jor-El made a big deal about the sun and the atmosphere of earth, so it's definitely both things that empower him, which makes a tiny piece of krypton rock just the dumbest possible thing to have in the movie

Penguin

That's another thing, there is no debris that went on "a journey" in MoS, the planet did a weird stasis explosion, basically all debris stopped in its tracks right after the explosion. And even if it did go on "a journey", krypton is so far away, debris would simply never reach earth (27 lightyears away).

Jor-El made a big deal about the sun and the atmosphere of earth, so it's definitely both things that empower him, which makes a tiny piece of krypton rock just the dumbest possible thing to have in the movie

Maybe it's not part of Krypton but part of Earth that was changed while the World Engine was active?

IconGrist

Maybe it's not part of Krypton but part of Earth that was changed while the World Engine was active?

That's a stretch but possible I guess. Still holding out hope I don't have to endure Cavill dropping like a bitch because of a rock. Unless that Rock was Black Adam. >_>

I've just never been a fan of Kryptonite. Like ever.

I liked it's use in Superman: Birthright where Luthor was obsessed with it because it was evidence of intelligent life on other planets, since he could never relate to anyone on earth

I think Secret Origin did the same thing but to a lesser degree

ReiGun

I'm with you on that. Kryptonite itself is a byproduct of making Superman too strong.

It's one of the reasons I always preferred Martian Manhunter. Dude is overpowered as fuck, but his weakness is common, easily produced fire.

More like Kryptonite is what allowed them to make him so strong. It gave writers an easy out, because no matter how crazy they made his feats, they could always point to it and say "See! Something can beat him!"

It's always been a lame plot device and one of the weaker parts of the lore.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member

Massive stretch though, remember he was fighting the world engine through clouds of crude krypton atmosphere and particles, and he still managed to power through it.
I just don't see how a piece of "krypton" rock is going to affect him, considering what's been established in MoS.

Massive stretch though, remember he was fighting the world engine through clouds of crude krypton atmosphere and particles, and he still managed to power through it.
I just don't see how a piece of "krypton" rock is going to affect him, considering what's been established in MoS.

Even Donner superman powered through lifting a Kryptonite Island into space. If they do introduce Kryptonite, I think it'll only make him vulnerable to conventional attacks, as opposed to sapping his strength and inducing pain.

strafer

Another day in the life of Henry Cavill.

34047_600.jpg

KalBalboa

Banned
I always loved how poetic kryptonite was.

Krypton, Clark's birth home, is the place that physically defines him... and can also kill him. He needs to embrace Earth to reach his full potential.

a916

*Superman was holding back on purpose as to not kill Bruce. Mentioned specifically in the comic.

And that was because of their decades long friendship in the comics... whereas here, it's supposed to be the first time they meet. I'm not sure how they are going to make that work.

Betty

Banned
And that was because of their decades long friendship in the comics... whereas here, it's supposed to be the first time they meet. I'm not sure how they are going to make that work.

Just have Batman taunt Supes about the fact he killed Zod, that's he's a murderer, that should make him hold back... probably.

Probably gonna have something to do with how shitty he felt killing Zod, which will likely become the source of this Superman's establishing the no-kill rule.

Also, just because the last film didn't have any Kryptonite doesn't mean this one won't. I'm certain Luthor or Wayne (or both) will end up synthesizing it based on some sort of scientific study of the Kryptonian shit littered around Metropolis after Man of Steel. It won't be a rock on a chain.

hell, imagine the completely synthesized, glowing green batarangs made out of treated kryptonite that batman starts chucking at Superman during the fight.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Probably gonna have something to do with how shitty he felt killing Zod, which will likely become the source of this Superman's establishing the no-kill rule.

Also, just because the last film didn't have any Kryptonite doesn't mean this one won't. I'm certain Luthor or Wayne (or both) will end up synthesizing it based on some sort of scientific study of the Kryptonian shit littered around Metropolis after Man of Steel. It won't be a rock on a chain.

hell, imagine the completely synthesized, glowing green batarangs made out of treated kryptonite that batman starts chucking at Superman during the fight.

I'd rather not imagine it cause it's really stupid.

oh jeez, that ASM2 soundtrack was all shitty wubdub noooooooooooo

Junkie XL's collaborated on the Man of Steel soundtrack, too.
I believe he also worked on The Dark Knight & Dark Knight Rises.

Junkie XL != Wub. At least, not as a rule.

edit: although there was some wub in Zod's theme - however it was tied specifically to the World Engine - which was in and of itself a Dubstep Machine, so it was appropriate.

Let's hope it goes better than his ASM2 collaberation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYB1PLjKv0#t=316

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqJDLzIXDps#t=121

edit: although there was some wub in Zod's theme - however it was tied specifically to the World Engine - which was in and of itself a Dubstep Machine, so it was appropriate.

Yes, in fairness he is credit to good tracks on Man of Steel.

Rooster12

So there's a really obvious and effective way to turn the tables on Superman but Batman shouldn't do that because reasons?

Kryptonite doesn't "turn the tables" on Superman, villains like Metallo, Titano, Kryptonite Man barely pose a threat to him.

He defeats them regardless whether they have Kryptonite or not.

Simo

Oh fuck this is gonna be so awful

Unless the mad max soundtrack turns out great, junkiexl is scoring that. But there were wubs all over the trailer

The Mad Max comic con trailer was all trailer stock music, nothing in it was by Junkie XL. He did sampling work at home like Zimmer for a year before George Miller approved it and then set up shop in Sydney with a full orchestra to record the score.

Honestly though the collaboration isn't that surprising considering Zimmer and Snyder met with Junkie earlier in the year at Warner Bros. studios lot.

The Mad Max comic con trailer was all trailer stock music, nothing in it was by Junkie XL. He did sampling work at home like Zimmer for a year before George Miller approved it and then set up shop in Sydney with a full orchestra to record the score.

Honestly though the collaboration isn't that surprising considering Zimmer and Snyder met with Junkie earlier in the year at Warner Bros. studios lot.

i really liked the opening track of that trailer though, hoping that makes it into the film.

and i didn't know about junkie working with zimmer before.

Compbros

Kryptonite doesn't "turn the tables" on Superman, villains like Metallo, Titano, Kryptonite Man barely pose a threat to him.

He defeats them regardless whether they have Kryptonite or not.

No villain "barely" poses a threat to Superman or any hero unless they're complete comic relief/fodder. Superman beating these people doesn't mean they aren't formidable, it just means he's a hero that overcomes the odds and beats his villains, just like every other Superhero.

I remember Snyder saying he wouldn't have done that even if it'd gotten past Nolan, because he also doesn't like the practice.

(although watch BvS have one)

a916

They've also worked together on Inception as well.

Inception, Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel. That's damn good enough of a resume as far as I'm concerned. Especially with Zimmer overseeing everything. He seems to put out good work when working alongside Zimmer

For the better... at this point it would come across as a Marvel rip off if they started aping that idea. They should however do as much as they can to intertwine the stories with easter eggs and subtle foreshadowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom