• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It really would be idiotic for them NOT to do Brainiac/Lex in this upcoming movie, and tease Darkseid for the next movie. It's just too perfect NOT to do.

Blader

It really would be idiotic for them NOT to do Brainiac/Lex in this upcoming movie, and tease Darkseid for the next movie. It's just too perfect NOT to do.

Brainiac and Lex are too big of characters to both put in the same movie for the first time... and Brainiac would be a little too reminiscent of Zod.

I think Lex/Metallo makes the most sense and even works if you put Batman into the equation too (Metallo gives Supes someone to punch, while Lex is a villain that Bats can handle). Plus it's the perfect way to introduce Kryptonite in this series.

Not everyone who is cast is going to be a super hero. He could end up being a random military dude or something. Like the Law and Order guy.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2014-01-1519_01_25-to5ts7z.png

Normally DCs been making huge casting waves but lately it's just underwhelming as fuck

Gal Gadot, Sawyer, Jason Mamoa

Sounds like a flunkie squad.

They better make up for all this fuckery by casting Joaquin for lex

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Josh Holloway ("Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol ")
I love how they give him a solo credit for being in Mission Impossible...when he's in the movie for all of 2 minutes.

Dysun

Normally DCs been making huge casting waves but lately it's just underwhelming as fuck

Gal Gadot is the only swing and miss there. Throw in The Rock and a big name for Lex and it's a good foundation

ReiGun

I don't follow actors too closely, so the casting is whatever to me so far. Gadot seems like the only questionable choice given her acting experience (really wanted someone more experienced to play Diana; I feel like we only get one shot at Wonder Woman), but I'm willing to give whoever else shows up a chance.

Hopefully we get some more actual news by Friday.

Why Friday?

bro1

Banned
I usually get really annoyed when the internet says a movie is going to be horrible before it comes out, or there is irrational hate for a director, but this movie and the idea around it is awful. They've done zero world building in any of their movies that there are other super heroes, they have done nothing to link their films together, and it just screams of desperation.

I usually get really annoyed when the internet says a movie is going to be horrible before it comes out, or there is irrational hate for a director, but this movie and the idea around it is awful. They've done zero world building in any of their movies that there are other super heroes, they have done nothing to link their films together, and it just screams of desperation.

But there's only been one film, Man of Steel?

obin_gam

Well what do you expect when Marvel has hired all the good ones already ;)

Senoculum

as mentioned earlier, the official "production name" of the film will be Sage and Milo.

Sage means "profoundly wise man", where Milo's etymology is Latin, meaning "soldier." It seems to me that they've worked on this project from the start with "Batman vs Superman" or "Batman and Superman" in total mind.

I live in Toronto, and in the past I saw production stuff for Robocop, Total Recall, and Pacific Rim. I will try to get as many photos as I can!

Can't wait for Batman to beat up Supes!

BadAss2961

I really don't expect this to be Batman VS Superman. I'm not even expecting them to physically fight at all. It's not time for that. They'll be at odds throughout the movie and come together in the end.

Goldrush

Plus it's the perfect way to introduce Kryptonite in this series.

Didn't Man of Steel already introduced the movie's version of kryptonite. However, beside being radioactive rocks, it's the kryptonian atmosphere itself. They never mention it by name, but I thought there were enough nods that it was kryptonite.

MisterHero

Didn't Man of Steel already introduced the movie's version of kryptonite. However, beside being radioactive rocks, it's the kryptonian atmosphere itself. They never mention it by name, but I thought there were enough nods that it was kryptonite.
Lex probably grew crystals out of the "particulates". Unless he plans luring Superman into special containment rooms, I don't know how the Kryptonian "atmosphere" can be weaponized.

And Superman overpowered the World Engine. Lex is gonna have to think up something powerful to surpass it.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Lex could create kryptonite from the knowledge that the kryptonian atmosphere weakens Superman.

IconGrist

Pretty much. Snyder, if I recall, has said he thinks Kryptonite is "stupid". Would certainly lend weight to why it's classic form was never alluded to in the movie.

May it is then : )

3 movie deal only huh. So maybe Justice League and a potential stand alone movie, or maybe just only Justice League movies.

I'm guessing they don't have much faith in the character or the actress if they only got her for 3 pics.
Any word on tv appearances?

That was an oversight on Marvels part. If dC had plans to include the Arrowverse, then they should plan ahead for an option of tv appearances outside of the 3 picture deal.

Matt_C

Justice League movie?

I guess I'm down, but how are they going to handle the various DC shows CW are pumping out? Will they cast Arrow and Flash from their respective TV shows or pretend those don't exist ala Superman Returns and Smallville...

Hopefully, there would be a MULTIverse of DC film properties. Imagine a film with Bale, Afleck, and Keaton as all Batmen; the return of Kevin Spacey as Luthor, Earth-Arrow Flash teaming up with Earth-Syder Flash, and maybe Mark Hammil as
Emperor Joker for a DC Crisis movie

Hopefully, there would be a MULTIverse of DC film properties. Imagine a film with Bale, Afleck, and Keaton as all Batmen; the return of Kevin Spacey as Luthor, Earth-Arrow Flash teaming up with Earth-Syder Flash, and maybe Mark Hammil as

Well, that wouldn't be confusing... regardless of how interesting that may be.

Three-picture deals are standard for blockbusters.

That may be, but if they are doing the shared universe like Marvel, it may require Wonder Woman to appear in more than just the Bats vs Supes & 2 Justice League movies, which is why Marvel was signing actors to 6-8 picture deals for major roles.

If they wanted her to also do her own solo movie, then they would have to re-negotiate her contract for Justice League 2 or recast.
Seems like an avoidable hassle when Marvel already cobble stoned the path for them.

DaveH

Will they cast Arrow and Flash from their respective TV shows or pretend those don't exist ala Superman Returns and Smallville...
I like a variation on Matt_C's idea... cast for a separate cinematic universe, but have the more accessible film stars (you won't get Affleck but could easily get Momoa, for example) guest spot in your TV shows (like Agents of SHIELD). For example:

XzsbBMG.jpg

That way you maintain the integrity and production values of each universe but still get the benefit of combining them... it also takes a load off the writers of each to have to avoid stepping on each others' toes.

J10

Banned

They don't have the balls or the creative coordination to pull something like that off.

DaveH

If they wanted her to also do her own solo movie, then they would have to re-negotiate her contract for Justice League 2 or recast.
Seems like an avoidable hassle when Marvel already cobble stoned the path for them.
There are two parties to a contract. By the time Marvel was churning out 6+ picture contracts, the Marvel Cinematic Universe was a known quantity and Marvel Studios had Disney's bankroll as a giant safety net. Who is to say the WB didn't offer a 6+ picture deal, but Gadot's representation thought it'd be better to commit to less and renegotiate later? Correspondingly she's been paid a relatively low amount for now, but can be compensated better once the DCCU is rolling along... which isn't really a bad deal for either party (by the time you have 3 pictures out of her, you can more accurately predict your box office range and contract accordingly).

MisterHero

Depending on her screentime 300k may be too much or too little for her. S/B is going to make all sorts of money and that's all she gets? She is one of the reasons people will see the film in the first place, now that we know she's in it.

Hey, I'm all for DC doing anything and everything if it means Dean Cain can return as the ultimate Superman.

Busty

Banned
Do we still use this for news and rumor?

either way, seems Gal Gadot has said she is getting 300,000 for her appearance in Man of Steel 2 and has a 3-picture deal with Warner

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/gal-gadot-reveals-length-cost-673238

I believe that $300k is the same amount that Henry Cavill got for Man Of Steel so it seems about right. In other news it's widely believed that ScarJo got only
$60k
for doing Iron Man 2.

The only 'half news' from this article that is interesting is the talk of a 3 picture deal for Gadot. I assumed that all DC's 'heroes' would potentially have a deal that would see them do (providing they are successful of course) three Justice League films and three 'stand alone' films featuring their characters.

Unless of course WB have no intention of spinning off Ms. Gadot's Wonder Woman into a series of separate films. Either that or WB will (unlike Marvel) actually be willing to pay their actors a fair wage for their roles.

*cough*

I'm guessing they don't have much faith in the character or the actress if they only got her for 3 pics.
Any word on tv appearances?

That was an oversight on Marvels part. If dC had plans to include the Arrowverse, then they should plan ahead for an option of tv appearances outside of the 3 picture deal.
We don't know for sure if Arrow and Flash series will be connected to the movie universe or not.
They hint that it might, then switch and say it might not be all the time.
WB would be stupid not to connect them imo.

Its not like Birds or Smallville which screws around with your canon.

Blader

That may be, but if they are doing the shared universe like Marvel, it may require Wonder Woman to appear in more than just the Bats vs Supes & 2 Justice League movies, which is why Marvel was signing actors to 6-8 picture deals for major roles.

Marvel is more dependent on churning out superhero movies than WB is, though, which is (partly) why they secure their actors for 6 or however many films.

Marvel is more dependent on churning out superhero movies than WB is, though, which is (partly) why they secure their actors for 6 or however many films.

And DC is more dependent on churning out Animated Movies than Disney is.

wait, that didn't work so well in reverse.
well, WB are more dependent on animated movies (through DC) than Marvel is...

But seriously, either DC hasn't really plotted out their Cinematic Universe past Justice League, beyond maybe doing some solo movies, or like DaveH said, their agents must have negotiated for shorter contracts.

I think Marvel was smart to lock everyone in to a minimum of 6 appearances so they could sprinkle them throughout whichever movie they want and still get a movie trilogy out of them if need be.
I believe RDJ had a backend profits clause in his contract after the first movie, even though he was still contracted to 6 appearances. I know not everyone can work that kinda deal, and certainly not the majority of the people being cast (outside of maybe Afleck and maybe Phoenix) since they simply don't have the clout to pull off such a contract.

Blader

And DC is more dependent on churning out Animated Movies than Disney is.

wait, that didn't work so well in reverse.
well, WB are more dependent on animated movies (through DC) than Marvel is...

But seriously, either DC hasn't really plotted out their Cinematic Universe past Justice League, beyond maybe doing some solo movies, or like DaveH said, their agents must have negotiated for shorter contracts.

DC doesn't do anything, they don't have a film studio. It's not like Marvel, where the movies can be produced in-house, WB owns all the DC film properties. And because WB is a much bigger company than Marvel Studios, they don't need as many as superhero films on an annual basis; they have revenue coming in from other movies. Marvel on the other hand needs to be able to turn out x amount of superheromovies per year to continue existing, which is they secure their actors to a more-than-usual number of appearances.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
DC doesn't do anything, they don't have a film studio. It's not like Marvel, where the movies can be produced in-house, WB owns all the DC film properties. And because WB is a much bigger company than Marvel Studios, they don't need as many as superhero films on an annual basis; they have revenue coming in from other movies. Marvel on the other hand needs to be able to turn out x amount of superheromovies per year to continue existing, which is they secure their actors to a more-than-usual number of appearances.

That hasn't exactly been true ever since they were bought by Disney.

Mariolee

So then it turns out the thread title is still relevant. I'd like to believe that that is the true reason WB delayed it, and will keep delaying it.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
heh, I guess that's true.

Still it's obvious Disney values Marvel a hell of a lot more than WB does DC. Disney paid $4 billion dollars for Marvel. WB acquired DC over 40 years ago when their old parent company spun off it's media division.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom