• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whaaat? I mean WHAAAAT? And here I thought Gal Gadot had one of the most perfect, beautiful faces there are in the world and theb I read this. I've seen it all.
Vast is the land of The Lord indeed.

I agree with you but she just doesn't scream "Wonder Woman" to me like Cavill does with Superman.

Pachimari

I hated the Superman pic we got before MoS. It was an unflattering shot and it looked really off. Ended up really liking the movie when it was released. Can't let one picture sour you on it.
Oh no I'm not soured at all. I just can't get used to how she looks in that picture. Hopefully we'll see more of her and the rest soon.

tumblr_nk6f2fNs9G1rsjot3o1_1280.png

Looking at it like that, Superman was named Superman by the press. Batman's a loon who calls himself Bat-Man. The other two, I can't see them naming themselves Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

suaveric

Looking at it like that, Superman was named Superman by the press. Batman's a loon who calls himself Bat-Man. The other two, I can't see them naming themselves Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

I wonder if there's going to be a running joke of Lois having to name all the characters as they show up.

Sephzilla

God, I'm getting so damn sick of hearing this asinine logic. Like, seriously, how insanely stupid do you think people are that they're gonna have this hard of a time, understanding a character, in a movie, that they paid to see?

I wonder if MCU fans were thinking or saying...

"No Ruffalo solo introduction movie before the Avengers? That's gonna confuse the shit out of everyone, everyone is gonna think it's weird and confusing. Where did this Banner dude come from? I have no clue who he is cause I never saw him in a solo movie. The more I think about it, this could potentially destroy the MCU. Not only do people not know where Hulk came from, but if they saw any of the recent Hulk movies, they're gonna get more confused since they have no clue what happened to the previous actor, cause there was no solo movie. Oh no, I'm such a moron and confused now, that I can no longer understand or enjoy this movie. Someone please help me understand how a studio thought it was okay to do an ensemble movie without each giving character their own movie before hand, cause this is totally destroying the fabric of my reality. Oh my god, I just realized I don't like Guardians of the Galaxy anymore either cause I have no clue how a talking racoon came to be. I didn't see a movie explaining his origin to me."

Seriously, that logic or "argument" needs to be banned from these threads already.
Banner already had an introductory movie before Avengers though. ..

Sephzilla

"Who is this guy playing Banner? It's not Ed Norton. Is it a different Banner? What the hell. You're going to have a whole bunch of people REALLY confused about what's going on. It's not a good move at all."
Recasting a character =/= introducing a new character. Nobody blinked when Rhodey changed actors.

Banner already had an introductory movie before Avengers though. ..
But the new actor didn't have a solo movie to introduce him. I'm confused and don't understand what's happening in this movie. Whedon should've done what Marvel did, and make a solo movie for each character before making the team up movie, and only after each character has their own solo origin movie. It's the only way my feeble mind can comprehend why all these fantasy characters are in the same movie.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Thank you all. Had a go putting Aquaman in the line-up:

tumblr_nk5byqXMeH1rsjot3o1_1280.png

awesome (I love people putting Supes in front and not Bats..same with JL comics latest covers)

also we already know Flash (Ezra Miller) and Cyborg (Ray Fisher) so only Green Lantern left which is not weird to be careful about Hal after the 2011 movie, They should go with John Stewart so we can have a life action adaptation of this episode
PHdCpgq.jpg

Sephzilla

But the new actor didn't have a solo movie to introduce him. I'm confused and don't understand what's happening in this movie. Whedon should've done what Marvel did, and make a solo movie for each character before making the team up movie, and only after each character has their own solo origin movie. It's the only way my feeble mind can comprehend why all these fantasy characters are in the same movie.
But Ruffalo Banner = Norton Banner. Seriously, you're stretching it pretty thin with this defense. You're also glossing over the recasting of Rhodey as well, which everyone got.

Recasting a character isn't even in the same realm as introducing a new character.

BLACKLAC

Don't know why you guys are latching onto Hulk, Marvel's 2nd most popular character.

I don't think anyone is arguing Batman changing actors will be confusing.

Recasting a character =/= introducing a new character. Nobody blinked when Rhodey changed actors.

This is the point I'm making. That the argument about the audience being confused is almost always silly and without merit or basis. Like over in the Spidey thread, what people are really saying is "I don't like it," they're just trying to find a way to pump up "I don't like it" so that it sounds more important/ironclad, as if it's no longer an opinion but some sort of RULE that filmmakers have to follow.

It isn't.

"The audience is going to be confused!"

No they won't. Not if the filmmakers are even mildly competent. And if they aren't, you're going to have way bigger problems on the audience confusion front anyway.

And given that the Avengers sold so much more tickets than the previous Marvel movies, how many people had even seen Thor/Iron Man/Captain A before it? People are seriously overestimating the amount of people who will give a shit about knowing every hero's backstory in the Justice League movie.

In addition to my general point about what world-building actually means above, I think this argument reflects a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of both Avengers and shared universes in general.

Was Avengers accessible to people who hadn't seen the previous MCU films? Yes, obviously. That doesn't mean it was written as though its characters had no established in-universe history, because it very much built on what had been developed in the previous films. Pretty much any good DC/Marvel story works on this level: acknowledging and building on existing continuity, while not requiring the reader to be extensively familiar with that continuity.

If characters like Aquaman and WW have no prior in-universe history as superheroes (and to be fair, there's still a chance that's not the case) that's a pretty major difference from the Avengers approach, isn't it?

There's some super deep rooted psychological bias going on with some of you guys.

How was it that not a single MCU fan criticized Guardians for not giving everyone a solo origin movie, but are convinced that the general public won't be able to comprehend where Wonder Woman came from.

Explain to me how Wonder Woman and Aquaman require their own movies, but Starlord, Rocket and Groot didn't.

We're talking about fictional fantasy characters here people.

Batman only ever dressed like a bat. Criminals/the press called him Batman. At least in every version so far.

I wonder if there's going to be a running joke of Lois having to name all the characters as they show up.

Oh please oh please let this happen.

DeathyBoy

Banned
In addition to my general point about what world-building actually means above, I think this argument reflects a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of both Avengers and shared universes in general.

Was Avengers accessible to people who hadn't seen the previous MCU films? Yes, obviously. That doesn't mean it was written as though its characters had no established in-universe history, because it very much built on what had been developed in the previous films. Pretty much any good DC/Marvel story works on this level: acknowledging and building on existing continuity, while not requiring the reader to be extensively familiar with that continuity.

If characters like Aquaman and WW have no prior in-universe history as superheroes (and to be fair, there's still a chance that's not the case) that's a pretty major difference from the Avengers approach, isn't it?

Except Joss has undercut that by saying prior knowledge isn't needed and he treated The Avengers as a self-contained film. And the sequel is also self-contained.

Penguin

Sweet jeebsus

We LITERALLY just had this conversation in the Aquaman thread

>.>

And I'm sure at least half a dozen times in this thread.

Sephzilla

There's some super deep rooted psychological bias going on with some of you guys.

How was it that not a single MCU fan criticized Guardians for not giving everyone a solo origin movie, but are convinced that the general public won't be able to comprehend where Wonder Woman came from.

Explain to me how Wonder Woman and Aquaman require their own movies, but Starlord, Rocket and Groot didn't.

Oh my god.

It's not that they necessarily require their own movies, just that they're intrinsically tied to concepts (Greek gods, Themyscira, Atlantis) that are harder to distill into a few lines of exposition than "weird science shit gave me super-speed powers" or "I got blown up and my dad rebuilt me into a cyborg."

GotG was set in outer space. You don't need much exposition to justify weird alien characters in a weird alien setting, just as you don't need much exposition to explain wizards, orcs, or dragons in a medieval fantasy setting. If you put those characters on modern-day Earth, on the other hand, you'd need some actual explanation for what they were doing there (no, not necessarily a whole movie's worth, that's a straw man).

It's not that they necessarily require their own movies, just that they're intrinsically tied to concepts (Greek gods, Themyscira, Atlantis) that are harder to distill into a few lines of exposition than "weird science shit gave me super-speed powers" or "I got blown up and my dad rebuilt me into a cyborg."

You're assuming that people don't get the jist of mythology. Any kid that's seen Disney's Hercules will get WW's background. Same with Atlantis. Not that had to put together.

Except Joss has undercut that by saying prior knowledge isn't needed and he treated The Avengers as a self-contained film. And the sequel is also self-contained.

Uh, what? That's exactly my point: that all Avengers proved is that it's perfectly possible to make accessible, self-contained films in a shared universe, not that the prior continuity of that shared universe is irrelevant to the story being told (because it certainly wasn't in Avengers and won't be in AoU).

If you think that undercuts my point, you pretty badly misread my post.

3N16MA

Banned
I don't think WW needs a solo film in order to make a cameo in BvS. She will have one before JL which makes sense since she will have more screen time in that film. The only thing DC could have done was to push JL to 2018 and move up Aquaman to 2017.

I wonder if we are still going to hear certain individuals keep on pushing that "They need separate movies to introduce them like in the MCU!" bullet point when Black Panther and/or Spiderman randomly show up in a Captain America movie.

Sweet jeebsus

We LITERALLY just had this conversation in the Aquaman thread

>.>

And I'm sure at least half a dozen times in this thread.

To be honest I'm surprised to see it alive after the Black Panther business.

Batman only ever dressed like a bat. Criminals/the press called him Batman. At least in every version so far.

We don't know BvS' take but every movie iteration of Batman, from West to Bale, has him naming himself.

You're assuming that people don't get the jist of mythology. Any kid that's seen Disney's Hercules will get WW's background. Same with Atlantis. Not that had to put together.

It has nothing to do with the intelligence of the audience, and everything to do with the type of universe the film is set in. If there are no publicly known superheroes other than Superman and Batman, (and to be fair, I'm making assumptions here because I don't have much to go on), surely the revelation of those concepts' existence should be treated with more than a metaphorical shrug of the shoulders?

IconGrist

I think people are overestimating the need for background explanations in the first place. Most people are satisfied with a name and a reason why they showed up.

ReiGun

That's pretty much how it works in the comics. They're all given their names by the press. In the N52, Aquaman's name originated in online message boards.

BLACKLAC

I wonder if we are still going to hear certain individuals keep on pushing that "They need separate movies to introduce them like in the MCU!" bullet point when Black Panther and/or Spiderman randomly show up in a Captain America movie.

Depending on if rumors are true BP will be heavily teased in AoU. As well as BP and his nation having an important part to the CW story. Spider-man is the biggest superhero in the world.

Not exactly the same thing.

dabig2

Considering Black Panther's Wakanda gets set up in AoU, I don't see a problem there. Shit, with Klaw in the movie we might even see a mini-origin BP story being set up. At least we'll get a few establishing lines that cement him in the universe. As for Spiderman, that should indeed be interesting to see how it's approached and received.

The story was mostly about events in prior films.
I'm going to miss our talks of cluster ducks and train wrecks and receding hairlines and skinny model girls.

Just to be fair: if Aquaman is just a cameo in BvS per Faraci, and Themyscira and the Amazons actually have a major role in the plot, that would significantly alleviate my concerns about how they're going about world-building.

The latter doesn't look to be the case right now, though. But WW's role is definitely my biggest unanswered question about the film.

Depending on if rumors are true BP will be heavily teased in AoU. As well as BP and his nation having an important part to the CW story. Spider-man is the biggest superhero in the world.

Not exactly the same thing.

So you agree that it doesn't require a dedicated 2 hour solo movie to establish a character in a comic book movie?

So you agree that it doesn't require a dedicated 2 hour solo movie to establish a character in a comic book movie?

Of course it doesn't. That's a silly argument.

Certain people are too fixated on the how of Marvel preceding Avengers with a series of solo films, and ignoring the why. For instance, why did Thor and Cap get their own films, but Black Widow, War Machine, Hawkeye, and Falcon didn't? Maybe it's because those characters are conceptually simple enough that they were easy to establish as supporting characters?

They're clearly taking a different approach to world-building with BP/Wakanda, though, and it'll be interesting to see how that works out.

BLACKLAC

I agree you don't need solo films to make the team up work but it does come with it's own set of challenges. Biggest being there are a lot of stuff you have to create/adapt from scratch in this one film for these characters.

How do you guys/gals think secret identities will be handled between all these characters? That's one thing that I would think would be the complete opposite of the MCU.

guek

Banned
I actually wish they'd have went into the DCCU with no backstory about superheroes and just had a world full of costumed vigilantes and super powers like they do in every animated feature. If you go into a movie with the premise "super powered heroes exist," you can swallow a whole lot. If you treat every new character as some groundbreaking new discovery then yeah, you're going to need a lot more exposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom