• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finaika

How dare you call Miller's WW a prostitute?

vkYsPGe.jpg

Why did she call him a sperm bank?

ReiGun

New Frontier is in the same space All-Star Superman where the movie is serviceable if you've never read the comic, but if you have read the comic you know it's just not on the same level.

New Frontier is in the same space All-Star Superman where the movie is serviceable if you've never read the comic, but if you have read the comic you know it's just not on the same level.

yeah, shit, All-Star Superman is even WORSE as an adaptation than New Frontier is.

Total disappointment.

Delta Assault said:
It's like the gap between Zack Snyder's Watchmen and Alan Moore's Watchmen.

Well, hold up - I wouldn't go THAT far. Watchmen to get way more right about the graphic novel than either of those aforementioned DCAU adaptations ever did. By a considerable margin, too.

Well, hold up - I wouldn't go THAT far. Watchmen to get way more right about the graphic novel than either of those aforementioned DCAU adaptations ever did. By a considerable margin, too.

Maybe, but they both suffered from the constraints of having to condense a thick ass tome (two volumes in TNF's case) into a movie with a limited running time and ended up cutting out a bunch of stuff that really harmed the overall experience. Instead of conveying rich world-building and depth, the adaptations ended up feeling much too hollow and perfunctory in their telling of events.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The New Frontier movie did adapt some scenes pretty well (like the Batman/Martian Manhunter scene), but the rest of it is disappointing at best.

I watched the movie first and almost didn't read the comics because of it. I'm glad I decided to give he books a chance because it really is one of the best DC stories out there.

I think one of the biggest problems with a lot of these animated adaptations is the run time. New Frontier is just a little over 70 minutes. How can you possible get all the details right with that little time?

Charcoal

Trying my best to get spun up on everything, but I just wanted to say, Throne of Atlantis is amazing! Any word on when the next DCU movie is set to release?

Penguin

Yup

We'll also be getting a ton more this year with the off-brand stuff

We've got Throne of Atlantis and LEGO Justice League

We're getting Batman v Robin in April

Then Batman Unlimited Animal Instincts in May.

Still have the Justice League mini-series sometime this summer then the DTV.

And the Superfriends project

The New Frontier movie did adapt some scenes pretty well (like the Batman/Martian Manhunter scene), but the rest of it is disappointing at best.

I watched the movie first and almost didn't read the comics because of it. I'm glad I decided to give he books a chance because it really is one of the best DC stories out there.

I think one of the biggest problems with a lot of these animated adaptations is the run time. New Frontier is just a little over 70 minutes. How can you possible get all the details right with that little time?

The run time is what makes me concerned if they ever adapted Kingdom Come. If KC ever gets adapted I hope it gets TDKR treatment with 2 movies.

I think it did an admirable job capturing the spirit of the book even if it didn't nail all the details (explicitly introducing The Center in the opening narration was a misstep, admittedly). The book is better, no doubt, in no small part due to the cuts, but the movie was still pretty good, IMO.

mooncakes

Do you guys think The Green Arrow will show up later in the upcoming DC movies? I love the TV show Arrow but I think Amell doesnt have the star power to hold his own movie.

Do you guys think The Green Arrow will show up later in the upcoming DC movies? I love the TV show Arrow but I think Amell doesnt have the star power to hold his own movie.

Green Arrow has always felt like a b tier Justice League member. Doubt we'll ever see him on the big screen.

I wouldn't be against him appearing at some point though, but a new actor would he needed like Flash.

guek

Banned
A green arrow movie later on could be really great juxtaposed against the experienced, seasoned Batman. Ollie had always been a bit of a second rate Bruce Wayne in a lot of ways but since the DCCU already has Bruce well established, a rookie Ollie could work without the obvious question of why not make a Batman movie instead.

mooncakes

I would love to see Arrow, Escape from Super Max adapted to the DC movies.

I remembered reading that they had a script but nothing happened after that. I guess the Green Latern movie bomb make them rethink their plans.

Effect

Animation is really the medium where they shouldn't be concerned with runtime when it comes to films, especially since we're talking about direct to video animation. Why it is has been a concern has always confused me. The very fact that it's on disc or vhs if those are still made means that the customer can stop and restart the show anytime they wish. They as a company aren't fighting for screen time or having to get as many showings in as possible as in a theater. Having a hard 70 minutes or so run time makes no sense. Especially if the story is starting to suffer. That doesn't mean pad out the film so it's longer but if to do the story well the runtime needs to be closer to 2 hours then let it be closer to 2 hours or more. You have the space on DVDs and Blu-Rays. Streaming as well doesn't place a limit as well.

Penguin

Animation is really the medium where they shouldn't be concerned with runtime when it comes to films, especially since we're talking about direct to video animation. Why it is has always confused me. The very fact that it's on disc or vhs if those are still made means that the customer can stop and restart the show anytime they wish. They as a company aren't fighting for screen time or having to get as many showings in as possible as in a theater. Having a hard 70 minutes or so run time makes no sense. Especially if the story is starting to suffer. That doesn't mean pad out the film so it's longer but if to do the story well the runtime needs to be closer to 2 hours then let it be closer to 2 hours or more. You have the space on DVDs and Blu-Rays. Streaming as well doesn't place a limit as well.

Budget

Always comes down to budget. :p

Penguin

I guess but it's not like they can't always find cheaper costing animation studios. Or have them be less detailed in some scenes and not in others.

Then you become the Marvel movies... and I really don't wanna suffer on both ends.

Though not overly keen on DC's new animation style for the nu52 releases.

Penguin

Well asked about this recently...

Zimmer started off by saying that the score has been written yet, but he has got a couple ideas for what he'll do with it. Then Josh asked him if he needed to create Aquaman and Wonder Woman's themes in Batman v Superman? "I'm trying," Zimmer revealed. "Put it that way. We're in early days. But yes, of course, ideally that is what you want to do."

Zimmer was then asked if he knew which other films in the new DC cinematic universe he might be scoring. "No, not at all," Zimmer replied. "Because the studio is going to hedge its bets if I ruin this one."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o234elA-qQU

Penguin

There were a few DC movies on sale at BB. Assault on Arkham or Dark Knight Returns worth 10 dollars?

What's the worse that could happen.

The one I never ever recommend are Batman Gotham Knight and Superman Unbound (and on the same note, Brainiac Attacks but not part of the line)

I dunno man, newer dc animated movies have been pretty awful to me. I hate that "gritty" argument used for everything but the recent ones have been dour and even the jokes fall flat. Plus they feel much longer than they are. Which should never be the case for a cartoon I think

Flashpoint and tdkr the last great ones

Young justice and teen Titans go rock but their newer animated films muster nothing from me

Penguin

I dunno man, newer dc animated movies have been pretty awful to me. I hate that "gritty" argument used for everything but the recent ones have been dour and even the jokes fall flat. Plus they feel much longer than they are. Which should never be the case for a cartoon I think

Flashpoint and tdkr the last great ones

Young justice and teen Titans go rock but their newer animated films muster nothing from me

Have you tried the off-brand ones?

JLA: Trapped in Time and LEGO Justice League vs Bizarro League?

Also is there a list/link to the movies on sale?

Senoculum

Has anybody seen the Lego Batman: The Movie? It's based on the Lego Batman games, but it's truly inspired from all lore. They do a good job with script and the light-hearted jokes are great. There will be confusion when the bigger budgeted The Lego Movie: Batman film comes out, lol. I absolutely love how Robin is portrayed as this bumbling sidekick, like how Batman will zip off in a motorcycle, and a crestfallen Robin will pout, "can't we ever just leave together?" It's cute.

Seriously, if you want to introduce Batman to younglings, the lego movie is great. Batman is a sarcastic hero, and he's as human as his Brave and the Bold counterpart (who for me, is just as great of an adaptation; I love his straight-faced inner dialogue like, "that's just gross" when facing gruesome creatures).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom