• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

If DC is doing a more-seasoned Batman, I wouldn't need a Batman sidekicks, but it would be cool if the Bat-family had their own movie.

Maybe Nightwing and Robin/Red Robin team-up film

Batman movies should be about Batman, not a half dozen other sidekicks. Plus, there are time constraints to consider.

If they establish them well within a Batman movie though you could have a separate franchise just for them.

If Dick was done well enough in this continuity you could basically have an entire separate movie that people would want to go see.
Nightwing in Under the Red Hood for example, show up have one main scene with Batman. Then people would be really open to Nightwing standalone movie.
(kinda like how nobody really cared about the Hulk movies until after Avengers then everyone wanted another)

You could stick Barbara/Batgirl into a Nightwing movies.(would also give people more Commissioner Gordon)
And potentially have Damian eventually in solo Batman movies.

If they could establish well that it was still a Batman movie without much to any Batman I think it could still do very well.
Would be a great place to use Villains like Deathstroke and Harley.

Eh, wishful thinking.

If they establish them well within a Batman movie though you could have a separate franchise just for them.

If Dick was done well enough in this continuity you could basically have an entire separate movie that people would want to go see.
Nightwing in Under the Red Hood for example, show up have one main scene with Batman. Then people would be really open to Nightwing standalone movie.
(kinda like how nobody really cared about the Hulk movies until after Avengers then everyone wanted another)

You could stick Barbara/Batgirl into a Nightwing movies.(would also give people more Commissioner Gordon)
And potentially have Damian eventually in solo Batman movies.

If they could establish well that it was still a Batman movie without much to any Batman I think it could still do very well.
Would be a great place to use Villains like Deathstroke and Harley.

Eh, wishful thinking.

Damian in a movie has so much potential for greatness. To all the gripes about how "Batman is a dark character, hence you can't put a Robin in a movie" would be debunk as Damian could easily translate into a universe with a "dark tone".

And having a Batman franchise with a Nightwing movie spin off would be absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately, it will never happen. I mean for god sakes, the Brothers Warner have yet to give us a flippin' Wonder Woman movie. If they don't have faith in a property they own that is pretty much considered a female icon, I doubt they'd have the balls to make a Nightwing movie.

Then again, we are (hopefully) getting a World's Finest movie, so who knows for certain what the future holds....

Mario007

Damian in a movie has so much potential for greatness. To all the gripes about how "Batman is a dark character, hence you can't put a Robin in a movie" would be debunk as Damian could easily translate into a universe with a "dark tone".

And having a Batman franchise with a Nightwing movie spin off would be absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately, it will never happen. I mean for god sakes, the Brothers Warner have yet to give us a flippin' Wonder Woman movie. If they don't have faith in a property they own that is pretty much considered a female icon, I doubt they'd have the balls to make a Nightwing movie.

Then again, we are (hopefully) getting a World's Finest movie, so who knows for certain what the future holds....
To be fair WB seems to be getting its act together when it comes to adapting its characters. Considering the obvious relaxation of restriction for Arrow between season 1 and season 2, having its own TV universe with Arrow and Flash and adapting things like iZombie, Constantine and Gotham, it seems like they want to get their characters out there. I know it's only TV so far, but it's still a significant step forward. In one of the articles I read last year celebrating Arrow's success, for example, was that WB were looking at the Arrow producers to help them shape the DCU projects going forward and these would be great guys for it.

Also BvS simply needs to happen before we can evaluate WB's direction with DC characters. It is a bit shitty that it is delayed till 2016, but given that this is likely due to the rewrite by Terrio I think we're all gonna agree that it's for the best. WB wants to and absolutely needs to get this movie right. It has to be huge because if it fails then WB will be stuck making C-tier low budget superhero movies for the next few years till they can do another reboot.

Also on Wonderwoman note...I believe Gadot is signed on to appear in solo movies as well.

suaveric

An adult Dick Grayson/Nightwing was heavily rumored to appear in the original version of BvS. Who knows if he's still in it after the rewrites, but at the very least I'd say there's a good chance he will exist in this new DCU.

jelly

Considering the fights in the Nolan trilogy are a bit rubbish, Begins Ninja ways being the best, how do think Snyder will approach it in this film ?

I'm hope there is no slow mo but I think it's going to be a given.

Blader

But establishing them well enough in a Batman movie still means less time for Batman's arc. It puts more of the spotlight on them.

Considering the fights in the Nolan trilogy are a bit rubbish, Begins Ninja ways being the best, how do think Snyder will approach it in this film ?

Probably similar to Nite Owl/Rorschach's fighting in Watchmen.

Halcyon

But establishing them well enough in a Batman movie still means less time for Batman's arc. It puts more of the spotlight on them.

Probably similar to Nite Owl/Rorschach's fighting in Watchmen.

I kinda want the slow mo. It is what I liked about the Arkham batman combat.

Imagine slo-mo Batman flipping backward throwing some batarangs, but more of a full speed superman flys through and lasers something in the face, cut to full speed batman finishing his acrobatic shit.

It'd be like the avengers scene.

.GqueB.

Banned

There was very little slow mo in MoS. And I say "very little" because I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure there wasn't any. There will be some zooming though.

Imagine slo-mo Batman flipping backward throwing some batarangs, but more of a full speed superman flys through and lasers something in the face, cut to full speed batman finishing his acrobatic shit.

I rather like the sound of that.

Penguin

Most of this is known, but always nice to see at least NEW talk.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2014/03/31/justice-league-movie-taking-shape-at-warner-bros/

Adding fuel to the buzz about Warner’s solidifying DCU plans was Dwayne Johnson (aka The Rock) making public statements about having reached a deal with Warner Bros. to portray a DC Comics character on the big screen. Johnson’s statements don’t outright say he’s playing a superhero, and some of us have long suspected he was in negotiations for a villain role like Darkseid. However, what he said did indicate longer-term plans with perhaps franchising potential, which sounds more like a heroic character.

I’ve personally heard buzz about Martian Manhunter’s possible appearance in plans for DC’s future on film, including some merchandising marketing perhaps, and I lean toward believing that any superhero role for Johnson could indeed be Martian Manhunter. Other options might include Cyborg, Aquaman, Captain Marvel, and Lobo (a particular fan-favorite who seems to lead the fan site wish-list right now when it comes to who Johnson might be playing). But I’m going to have to go with Martian Manhunter, based on Johnson’s description of the character and who I expect will and won’t appear in this combined cinematic superhero universe.

Wonder Woman is probably getting a spinoff solo franchise, or at least one solo movie of her own, after she gets her grand introduction in the Man of Steel sequel. My understanding right now is that the film is mostly focused on the Superman-Batman dynamic, and that Wonder Woman’s role is expected to be smaller this time around. However, Gal Gadot’s deal to play the most famous and well-known of all female superheroes includes multiple films, and I’ve heard one of them is indeed a Wonder Woman solo outing.

ReiGun

Rock as Martian Manhunter? Hmm...Physically, I can see it. But personality-wise, J'onn's whole demeanor is very understated and stoic, and I think the Rock is at his best when he's able to cut loose and be larger than life. It would be an odd casting if that's where they went with it.

I do find it strange that WB has had no problems confirming who is playing Luthor, Alfred and WW but won't confirm Rock (or Momoa, though he's not quite as important). Is it possible Rock's role with WB is not even for this movie? I mean if he were playing Green lantern why not just say it? Could that lend credence to the idea that he's playing someone like Lobo, or Bane in a Suicide Squad movie?

Blader

I do find it strange that WB has had no problems confirming who is playing Luthor, Alfred and WW but won't confirm Rock (or Momoa, though he's not quite as important). Is it possible Rock's role with WB is not even for this movie? I mean if he were playing Green lantern why not just say it? Could that lend credence to the idea that he's playing someone like Lobo, or Bane in a Suicide Squad movie?

It may not be a done deal yet and Rock is jumping the gun on talking about it.

Penguin

Well may not be in this movie at all

I don't think Rock has hinted that he is in this movie either

There was very little slow mo in MoS. And I say "very little" because I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure there wasn't any.

There was none, and it was a conscious decision to not employ it.

He's got his regular cinematographer back for World's Finest though, and some are hoping that means the regular Snyder style will be folded into the visual vocabulary established by Man of Steel.

ReiGun

Well may not be in this movie at all

I don't think Rock has hinted that he is in this movie either

Yeah all of the Rock's hinting seems to indicate either something for the JLA movie or a solo project. I think we'll hear something concrete come Comic Con.

You could just have a scene like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1oDbh25n5w
He wouldn't need much development beyond that in the Batman story, in the Nightwing movie you could have the flashbacks and such.
and since they have separate cities they wouldn't have to use Nightwing in the future Batman movies if they didn't want to.

They could have Nightwing as a lower budget filler movie. One that reuses sets has more development for characters like Gordon and Alfred, and can also have characters like Batgirl, the Birds of Prey, Red Hood, etc
who would either never have time to be established in standard Batman movies or just wouldn't be done.

It wouldn't do as well as a Batman movie but it wouldn't need to with a lower budget.
WB can't pump out a Batman movie every summer like they would want, so this would be the next best thing.

Snyder is going to give us not only the first proper version of Batman, but it'll by far be the best version of him action and detective wise.

There was none, and it was a conscious decision to not employ it.

He's got his regular cinematographer back for World's Finest though, and some are hoping that means the regular Snyder style will be folded into the visual vocabulary established by Man of Steel.
I'm thinking the typical Snyder/Fong style will lend itself very well to Batman and Gotham.

The Rock is gonna be Green Lantern or Cyborg if he's gonna be anybody. I don't see Lobo making his way into these movies this soon, if ever.

.GqueB.

Banned
Snyder is going to give us not only the first proper version of Batman, but it'll by far be the best version of him action and detective wise.
Agreed. I really don't think Batman has been done justice on film quite yet. The detective part always falls off. Nolan gave it a try but it didn't make sense at all. I still don't understand that whole ballistics thing from TDK.

jett

D-Member

He's bringing back the cinematographer that worked with him on Watchmen, so I expect a similar visual style. I definitely think the docu-style with all the punch-ins and what not of MoS is out the door.

Speaking of the Batnolans, yesterday I did a spontaneous marathon of all three movies(well, almost, I was so bored one hour into TDKR I turned it off). Begins definitely has the worst action, with the extreme close ups and constant cutting you can't see shit, ever. In TDK, you can actually see Batman punching people in the face. Shots are held long enough to a see a full fucking punching motion from the guy. I never really understood why is the action so, well, awful in Begins, until I checked out one of the featurettes in TDK. Seems Nolan didn't like how the Begins suit looked at all, he thought it looked fake and and that the texture and material used was just wrong, so his idea on fixing that was to simply show as little as possible of it. :p Which is something I always guessed, to be honest.

Blader

Agreed. I really don't think Batman has been done justice on film quite yet. The detective part always falls off. Nolan gave it a try but it didn't make sense at all. I still don't understand that whole ballistics thing from TDK.

in Batman psuedo-science world, it was comparing the bullet hole left behind by the Joker's man to a hole made by the same bullet. The difference between the two would be the thumbprint that the henchman would leave as he loads the bullet into the clip.

Some info from an interview with the WB CEO... Apparently they're going to announce a film series soon.

http://collider.com/harry-potter-spin-off-trilogy-dc-superheroes-movie-plans

On the film side, the Times reports that “a film series will be announced in the near future, Mr. Tsujihara said. It is expected to include a Justice League movie.” While that should be exciting, I’m not holding my breath. Even though Tsujihara has tried to streamline the production process by “[eliminating] some management layers”, the studio appears to lack a guiding vision with how to proceed with their heroes. Batman/Superman will also have Wonder Woman, so will she be one of this “film series”? Additionally, with a Flash series currently on television, does that mean he wouldn’t be in a movie? Hopefully, the coming announcement will provide a plan rather than a wish list.

.GqueB.

Banned
in Batman psuedo-science world, it was comparing the bullet hole left behind by the Joker's man to a hole made by the same bullet. The difference between the two would be the thumbprint that the henchman would leave as he loads the bullet into the clip.

Ah ok.

To be fair WB seems to be getting its act together when it comes to adapting its characters. Considering the obvious relaxation of restriction for Arrow between season 1 and season 2, having its own TV universe with Arrow and Flash and adapting things like iZombie, Constantine and Gotham, it seems like they want to get their characters out there. I know it's only TV so far, but it's still a significant step forward. In one of the articles I read last year celebrating Arrow's success, for example, was that WB were looking at the Arrow producers to help them shape the DCU projects going forward and these would be great guys for it.

Also BvS simply needs to happen before we can evaluate WB's direction with DC characters. It is a bit shitty that it is delayed till 2016, but given that this is likely due to the rewrite by Terrio I think we're all gonna agree that it's for the best. WB wants to and absolutely needs to get this movie right. It has to be huge because if it fails then WB will be stuck making C-tier low budget superhero movies for the next few years till they can do another reboot.

Also on Wonderwoman note...I believe Gadot is signed on to appear in solo movies as well.

As an avid Arrow fan, I can say DC is doing an excellent job in their T.V. programing. I mean, compared to Marvel's Agents of Shield, which I've only heard bad things about, it seems DC has found their niche. If this is ground works to build on in the movie universe, then perhaps there really is hope.

Though the Gal Gadot thing is just a contractual deal. Basically, if D.C. wants to put Wonder Woman in a Batman Vs. Superman, Justice League, Wonder Woman, etc, Gal Gadot has an obligation to be in Wonder Woman in those projects. Conversely, DC has no obligation to make those movies.

Honestly what I would have loved was for D.C. to have the foresight to make the Wonder Woman movie first then come out with the BvS movie. But whatever... hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.

I really hope it's not Lobo.

Because Lobo is a pile of shit.

Your totally entitled to your opinion, but can I ask why you think that? I don't read comics much, but I definitely keep up with the lore. And I love the DC animated shows/movies and I was really impressed with Lobo in Young Justice and Injustice.

Lobo is the only character the Rock should play. I feel he isn't cerebral enough to pull off J'onn, would make an okay John Stewart but I don't think audiences are ready for another GL just yet, and would make an excellent Black Adam but wouldn't be doing the character justice without including Captain Marvel/Shazam.

He has the over the top demeanor that is required for a faithful performance without being too campy.

In the Man of Steel universe, it's already established that aliens exist. Introducing Lobo could serve as a plot device and provide background and establish there are other races out there.

When I heard that Dwayne Johnson was going to be in the DCMU, the first person I thought of was Lobo. I imagined that Man of Steel 2 opened with a fight sequence between Lobo and Superman. They could be fighting because Supes has a bounty on his head, and it could serve to further a theme of fear that some citizens have of him. Hence, this leaves room for Lex Luther to play a major role in being a public activist against the Man of Steel and distorting the public perception of him to further his own agenda.

Alright I'm moving into borderline fan fiction territory. So I'll just say I really hope that Lobo is the role that the Rock will play. Realistically, he'll more likely play a hero. If I was a betting man, I'd say he's probably going to play Green Lantern.

I really want some Zack Snyder slo-mo in World's Finest.

Not sure if serious or not. But I agree. I felt like the original Man of Steel could have highly benefited from some slow-motion. There are a lot of fighting scenes that go under appreciated because they go way to fast for people to notice how visually stunning the choreography is.

9CvdVgI.gif

teopFQ7.gif

Iz2TEog.gif

Man of Steel had almost no night time stuff going on, I'm pretty sure this next movie is gonna have plenty of night time stuff going on. I wonder how this will affect the tone of the story, and feel/look of the movie.

Man of Steel had almost no night time stuff going on, I'm pretty sure this next movie is gonna have plenty of night time stuff going on. I wonder how this will affect the tone of the story, and feel/look of the movie.

If it's anything like Watchmen, then the look and feel of the night time will be great.

hey guys

Am I the only one that would like for them to make Superman have his new 52 costume rather then the man of steel one for the new Batman vs Superman movie

He's bringing back the cinematographer that worked with him on Watchmen, so I expect a similar visual style. I definitely think the docu-style with all the punch-ins and what not of MoS is out the door.

Speaking of the Batnolans, yesterday I did a spontaneous marathon of all three movies(well, almost, I was so bored one hour into TDKR I turned it off). Begins definitely has the worst action, with the extreme close ups and constant cutting you can't see shit, ever. In TDK, you can actually see Batman punching people in the face. Shots are held long enough to a see a full fucking punching motion from the guy. I never really understood why is the action so, well, awful in Begins, until I checked out one of the featurettes in TDK. Seems Nolan didn't like how the Begins suit looked at all, he thought it looked fake and and that the texture and material used was just wrong, so his idea on fixing that was to simply show as little as possible of it. :p Which is something I always guessed, to be honest.
I think Nolan was trying to ape the Bourne shaky cam action style which was all the rage at that time but he wasn't skilled enough to pull it off, still isn't actually. I love Nolan but he's pretty terrible at directing hand to hand dynamic fight scenes.

kunonabi

hey guys

Am I the only one that would like for them to make Superman have his new 52 costume rather then the man of steel one for the new Batman vs Superman movie

Both of them are shit so it doesnt really matter. I really dont expect any significant improvements but they should shorten the cape at the very least.

Both of them are shit so it doesnt really matter. I really dont expect any significant improvements but they should shorten the cape at the very least.

Even though the new 52 costume isn't highly praised I'd rather have that then chest hair dark suit we got with the man of steel

Also for Batman's costume they should go for the Mask that covers his chin
like this one
batman_jlwar.jpg

I really don't want a batman with a double chin always showing

Snyder Batman is gonna be the baddest mother of all time. We're gonna need new word to describe how insanely awesome he is.

HYPE.

I hope so,
They will really push Batman over the top to sell him fighting next to Superman.
so its not that much of a longshot.

Im ready for:
Crazy gadgets
Vanishing
Good mobility
Turned up intelligence
Unrealistic punch and batarang strength

And knowing Snyder...
At least one shadow/silhouette of Batman as a Bat.

Even though the new 52 costume isn't highly praised I'd rather have that then chest hair dark suit we got with the man of steel

Also for Batman's costume they should go for the Mask that covers his chin
like this one
batman_jlwar.jpg

I really don't want a batman with a double chin always showing
Haven't given it much thought but the guard over the chin is actually a good idea, lol.

Not sure if serious or not. But I agree. I felt like the original Man of Steel could have highly benefited from some slow-motion. There are a lot of fighting scenes that go under appreciated because they go way to fast for people to notice how visually stunning the choreography is.

9CvdVgI.gif

teopFQ7.gif

Iz2TEog.gif

Man, I love the fights in MoS so much.

I want to rewatch them.

.GqueB.

Banned
I really love that suit.
I hear they're making some adjustments to it.

I hope Henry is making an adjustment. He was too damn big in this movie. All of his movements looked strained as hell and that shot is a great example. If Batman is gonna teach this dude some CQC he needs to be able to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom