• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleblock Theater |OT| An engrossing tale of friendship, betrayal and some cats.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think it's saved to profile. :(

I'd be happy to trade you one, though. We're getting AH in my house this weekend, so I can always trade another back to my tag from my wife's account.
It indeed is :(

The completionist inside me would appreciate that, if your wife doesn't mind of course!

Worth it for 4 player local co-op alone?
There's no 4 player local co-op. only 2 players. Competitive is 4 players local though.

B3ASTMODE

This game came out if nowhere for me. I had no idea this game existed until my bro told me that the castle crashers dudes released a new game. Really enjoying the co op though, very fun.

Niwa

Ugh.. Silly me expected this being a multiplatform title, if I had informed myself a tad more I'd be less dissappointed right now.

Jawmuncher

Played some coop yesterday and loved it. Really fun platformer that you can screw your buddy in for laughs.

Also stamper as the narrator was one of the best calls ever. Man has a amazing voice especially when it comes to a comedic project like this.

Con_Smith

Banned

The music in this game is actually really good. I tried explaining this game to my girlfriend and the three games that came up were mario/smash/pokemon. It's weird this game kind of scratches your mobil game itch as well as feels complete and rewarding. Can't wait to find out what the ending is as all the cutscenes are really good and the plot for such a simple game really addresses the gameplay really well.

It indeed is :(

The completionist inside me would appreciate that, if your wife doesn't mind of course!

Speaking of completionist, apparently at least one of the achievements is glitched. Hopefully they patch it relatively soon? (It's the free 50 prisoners one, apparently it's not unlocking for anyone.)

I really want some of my friends to get this/have some of my friends over to play this. It's hilarious fun in online multiplayer with people I don't know, I can't imagine how fun it is messing with your friends.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
No problem - hit me up this weekend.
Sent you a FR.

Few notes:

- Yarns become essentially useless when you get all the weapons, which you can do by the time you hit Chapter 4 or 5 so.
- You gain gems from Ranked matches but not player ones
- Frog weapon is overpowered as fuck. Other projectiles/weapons just have too much startup. I understand having a longer cool down but the startup severely limits utility while moving.
- Completing Furbottom's Feature gets you a star head, the chicken head. So everyone do that before the playlist gets taken down. Also so people stop trying to trade me crap for it.
- Everytime there is a secret level in a level, there's a pink bug flying around nearby. Keep an eye out for that.
- Per-prisoner prices seem to go up once you buy enough prisoners, it goes up for all of them. 15 for me now.
- Basketball is a riot and probably my favourite multiplayer mode right now. It has the least chaos but is the hardest to game.
- Trading system is quite well designed, don't think I'll be doing more of it in the future now that I've got my achievement.
- Content isn't being produced fast enough (playing the same MP maps over and over, but this is probably because people aren't hosting community level games and just regular ones or from the grab bag) and it's pretty hard to get into games. But when your in a game it can last forever because of drop-in/drop-out being implemented very well.

Sent you a FR.

Few notes:

- Yarns become essentially useless when you get all the weapons, which you can do by the time you hit Chapter 4 or 5 so.
- You gain gems from Ranked matches but not player ones
- Frog weapon is overpowered as fuck. Other projectiles/weapons just have too much startup. I understand having a longer cool down but the startup severely limits utility while moving.
- Completing Furbottom's Feature gets you a star head, the chicken head. So everyone do that before the playlist gets taken down. Also so people stop trying to trade me crap for it.
- Everytime there is a secret level in a level, there's a pink bug flying around nearby. Keep an eye out for that.
- Per-prisoner prices seem to go up once you buy enough prisoners, it goes up for all of them. 15 for me now.
- Basketball is a riot and probably my favourite multiplayer mode right now. It has the least chaos but is the hardest to game.
- Trading system is quite well designed, don't think I'll be doing more of it in the future now that I've got my achievement.
- Content isn't being produced fast enough (playing the same MP maps over and over, but this is probably because people aren't hosting community level games and just regular ones or from the grab bag) and it's pretty hard to get into games. But when your in a game it can last forever because of drop-in/drop-out being implemented very well.

The bug thing is neat. Didn't realize secret levels were why they were appearing. Good to know!

I'm currently working on creating my own adventure playlist for multiplayer. I've made three levels so far. I don't really have the co-op necessity down yet, instead I've just made crazy difficult levels because that's how I roll. I can't make easy things. It's not in my nature. :( But I think the problem with content is that it seems like it's necessary to make a full playlist to share in community theater, instead of just single levels. Creating 9 levels + 2 challenge levels + 3 encores + a possible secret level is a lot of work and time-consuming.

Love playing Arena online. I have no problem finding people in most player match modes, but I almost never find a ranked one.

Just tried the demo and I'm about to pull the trigger but how long is the co-op campaign?

Just as long as the singleplayer. I think there are 8 chapters, 10+ levels in each chapter, and then there's both normal and insane difficulty (which I think has different levels but am not sure) so there's plenty of content.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Try this (I'm assuming you have 2 controllers):

1- Create a new gamertag.
2- Play Alien Hominid.
3- Play BBT.
4- Trade the head.
I would have done this, but I don't own Alien Hominid, only got the achievement once when at a friend's place. Coincidentally only did it for me to unlock the Alien in Castle Crashers.

Nose Master

So, how do the golden hats work exactly? Is it a reward for getting to a certain point within a certain time frame? Does it just spawn a hat farther back in the level when you get that prompt? Are they only in certain levels?

C4Lukins

I wish it was selling a bit better, but I think Behemoth is still doing fine with Castle Crashers. It just sucks because the best part of this game seems to be the online stuff and it takes some work to get a game going. And that problem is likely to get worse before it gets better.

So, how do the golden hats work exactly? Is it a reward for getting to a certain point within a certain time frame? Does it just spawn a hat farther back in the level when you get that prompt? Are they only in certain levels?

I've never had a hat spawn behind me, but as far as I can tell it's random. Sometimes they appear in campaign levels, occasionally they appear in arena battles (and when that happens, it essentially stops being whatever game you're actually playing and becomes a four person free-for-all to keep the hat. Teammates turn against each other, betrayals are had, it's a bloodbath.) but there doesn't seem to be a specific pattern as far as I can tell.

I wish it was selling a bit better, but I think Behemoth is still doing fine with Castle Crashers. It just sucks because the best part of this game seems to be the online stuff and it takes some work to get a game going. And that problem is likely to get worse before it gets better.

I haven't had any trouble with getting online matches. Of course I just use quick match and take whatever I get set up in and that tends to work fine.

C4Lukins

I've never had a hat spawn behind me, but as far as I can tell it's random. Sometimes they appear in campaign levels, occasionally they appear in arena battles (and when that happens, it essentially stops being whatever game you're actually playing and becomes a four person free-for-all to keep the hat. Teammates turn against each other, betrayals are had, it's a bloodbath.) but there doesn't seem to be a specific pattern as far as I can tell.

I haven't had any trouble with getting online matches. Of course I just use quick match and take whatever I get set up in and that tends to work fine.

Maybe it is better now.

TripOpt55

Spent a few hours playing local multi (co op and versus) with a friend. A total blast. The Behemoth makes some damn good local multiplayer games and I appreciate it.

Gowans

My god I've done the first level in fur bottoms feature and the 2nd I'm clueless. Back to main story for me

Gowans

I believe so, the features playlist on now is made by the behemoth and gives you a rare hourse head prisoner.

Quick question for anyone who's using the level editor:

Is it possible to make Arena match levels? It seems to indicate so in the help pages, but when I tried to make one it kept telling me "Adventure levels need a start. Adventure levels need strawberries." I added multiplayer blocks but it kept saying the same thing. Do I have to access a different mode or something?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I believe so, the features playlist on now is made by the behemoth and gives you a rare hourse head prisoner.
It gives you a chicken head.

Unless they changed it and you can no longer get the chicken head and you get a horse head instead.

Halfmunch

I don't know yet, finished the trial and not sure I want the full game now. I enjoyed Castle Crashers so much, might buy it to support the behemoth.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Man. If this thread is any indication, this game is having quite the weak launch.
I would have to agree.. it's sad because the game is insanely polished and a very good and creative platformer.

Wasn't Castle Crashers a slow burn as well? It wasn't insanely popular right out the gate, was it?
It was very popular, it's just had a long life on the marketplace because it's still one of the best games out on all of XBLA, and came out at a time when the only other truly great XBLA game was Geometry Wars.

JMizzlin

This game is awesome. Few titles can keep me up into the early hours while kicking my ass. It's the perfect mix of tough and beatable.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Do I need to beat the Encore levels in Furbottom's Feature to get the chicken head?
I believe so, they're hard as hell. Pretty much the only levels I've ever needed to do more than once. You just need to be aware of how to run through it through trial and error and then just run through it. I must've spend an hour plus on those alone.

Ah, okay. I just beat the last Furbottom's Feature regular level last night and got the head.

The hardest level for me was the very first part of level 1, I seriously had no clue what to do for the longest time.

Man. If this thread is any indication, this game is having quite the weak launch.

I think the marketing for the game has been a little subpar. So many delays made it fall off of my radar. Hopefully MS will give it some loving and push it heavily. I think CC is popular and loved enough where many would blind-buy this game if they knew it was the same devs.

I think the marketing for the game has been a little subpar. So many delays made it fall off of my radar. Hopefully MS will give it some loving and push it heavily. I think CC is popular and loved enough where many would blind-buy this game if they knew it was the same devs.

I'm surprised they didn't hold off the launch and use it to start off or anchor the Summer of Arcade promotion they usually do.

It's a shame this isn't getting more attention because this is really fun. The platforming is some of the best since Super Meat Boy I'd say.

What the eff, I have to get to the fourth page of Gaming Gaf to find some discussion about Battleblock Theater?

Tried the game last night and was thoroughly impressed. Can't justify the purchase right now though so I'll just read this thread for awhile.

kvothe

There's no 4 player local co-op. only 2 players. Competitive is 4 players local though.

The co-op is only two players, the arena modes are four. The game was designed for crazy, hilarious multiplayer couch gaming, whether competitive or co-op, so I'd say yes.

Ah thank you. I meant to say competitive play, glad to hear that's fun. Really want to get this game.

Top Bottom