• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleblock Theater |OT| An engrossing tale of friendship, betrayal and some cats.

Adam J.

I've only played the single-player so far, and it's been a complete blast. Can only imagine how great the multiplayer is..

Also the inclusion of the PDA Games music made smile.

What's everyones favorite multiplayer mode? Mine is basketball, because that's ALL ANYONE PLAYS. ._.

I would also say my favorite is Ball Game, for the same reason lol.

I try to play all of the different games quite a bit, but I can usually only find ball game or king of the hill (player) matches. I've still never played color the world, challenge or grab the gold online. And that's not for a lack of trying.

JMizzlin

Finished SP story last night. Enjoyed the ending; was not what I expected but I wasn't really thinking about it.

Now I'm dreading finishing the co-op campaign. The SP got really hard towards the end and my same couch 2nd player isn't very good, so that'll be fun.

Tries MP but got destroyed often so not sure I'll jump back into it.

Great game, would recommend.

Stoze

So this game pretty much consumed the entirety of my weekend. I beat both the single player and co-op campaigns, really enjoyed both. As I said before, the level design only got better and better, and the game got more and more challenging as well.

One thing that was really frustrating about co-op that wasn't a problem in single player was the checkpoint system. You sometimes spawn next to your partner or sometimes at the newest flag, but sometimes one person will keep spawning back at the previous flag for no reason, and then a player who's much farther ahead dies and spawns much farther back. It lead to a surprising amount of retrogression. Still loved it though.

Me and my sister (who player through coop with me) played a bunch of b-ball games in multi-player, and my god I haven't yelled or laughed so hard in excitement at a game in quite a long time. It's incredibly addicting.

A complaint I have about the multiplayer is that if you're playing with an xbox live guest, they only get the shitty frisbee weapon and can't trade with anyone. It makes them kinda useless in games like muckle where the other weapons are obviously so much better. I get why they don't allow you to trade with guests, but it puts it into perspective how pointless collecting yarn for weapons is, especially when I have like 150 of them and nothing to use them on. They should've just progressingly given you all the weapons through the game, let the xbox live guest use all of them, and then have the yarn be used to buy special heads or something.

All in all, I love the game. I'm hoping more people will pick it up and the online community stays strong, but it doesn't look too good imo. When I get home I wanna try hosting some challenge games, doing time trials live against other players seems like it could be really interesting.

So I'm confused on how "trading" works. If I trade a head away is it gone? Is it gone forever? or will it appear in the shop again.

The completionist in me dosn't want to risk trading heads if I cant get them back.

Stoze

So I'm confused on how "trading" works. If I trade a head away is it gone? Is it gone forever? or will it appear in the shop again.

The completionist in me dosn't want to risk trading heads if I cant get them back.

As long as it's not one of the star heads (castle crasher, alien hominid, chicken), you'll be able to get it back through the shop.

Nose Master

On the boss stages in Furbottom, not sure that I did it right, though: Are you supposed to
cheese the spike blocks by standing on the very-edge pixel? Cause that's what I did it almost every one, lol.

Beckx

So, straight from the Behemoth:

Fancy yourself more a player than a creator? BattleBlock Theater fanatics who playthrough the entire Furbottom’s Features will be getting a special prisoner unlock!

For a limited time only, the Behemoth Chicken Prisoner will be awarded to any BattleBlock Theater player who finishes the entire Furbottom’s Features playlist!

Edit: and per their twitter feed, more star heads to be available via Furbottom's in the future.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just an FYI: for those who did Furbottom's feature before they updated it and put out that tweet, they updated the levels with new ones that are exactly the same. Which means you can get all of those gems again!

You don't get another new star hat though.

I didn't even know encores existed :( I thought they were the boss levels D;

EDIT:
Also, local MP gives you gems?! FUCK YEAH, greatest game ever. So tired of games locking out local multiplayer when it comes to progression stuff. Also all the arena achievements can be done offline too! WOOT!

Shady859

Week late to the party but I finally got around to cashing in a bunch of Bing points and snapped this bad boy up. Played through chapter 1 and the 3 encores then hopped into MP quick matches itmwas hit or miss. Usually ended up 2 v 1 or 2 v 0 just some guy hosting a playlist I think. That basketball seems fun but look forward to SP more tonight. Not much hype but fun game didn't know about it till I saw the ads on XBL last week.

Beckx

EDIT:
Also, local MP gives you gems?! FUCK YEAH, greatest game ever. So tired of games locking out local multiplayer when it comes to progression stuff. Also all the arena achievements can be done offline too! WOOT!

Yep. Behemoth did this right.

Finally sunk some time into this game and it's fantastic! As a bonus, my gf is really liking it too and the only other game she really loved was castle crashers.

The platforming is AH-MAZING. I'm not sure what behemoth did, but it's got this greatt, responsive feeling to it.

The unlocks seems great, but the trading menu is still a bit clunky.

I'm confused on heads: So, if you trade a head, you lost it forever, correct?

The only thing that sucks about the game is that all the user-created levels give you strawberries and not gems. So there's not as much incentive to play user-created content, which is a bummer.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It would be far too easy to exploit the reward system.
I don't think so. The timer doesn't change no matter what mode/match you're playing. The time investment is the same. I guess they needed a way to differentiate Player and Ranked matches though. Not sure why they have to, but that's how they did it.

There's really no reason someone would want to play a Player Match over a Ranked one right now, but it's not like you have much choice with the way matchmaking is right now.

I definitely think it would add incentive to community content but Behemoth's latest blog post makes it sound like they'd rather pick the cream of the crop and reward them with integration into ranked.

I haven't played any of the user content yet, but I can see both sides of the argument. But, i imagine that once more and more people are gemmed to max, it won't matter as much and it'll just be about the experience of trying user content.

Nose Master

Holy shit. You can move the camera with the right stick.

Anyone have any recommendations for fan levels? They all seem to be broken, or painfully easy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Via the recent Raptr Q&A:

There are different ways star/special prisoners will get unlocked: Playing through featured playlists (currently you can get the Behemoth Chicken for a limited time until a new prisoner takes its place), owning full versions of our other games on the same Xbox system (Castle Crashers, Alien Hominid HD), and special prisoners for special dates.

jond76

Banned
I stumbled across the release trailer for this and instantly bought. That trailer cracked me up!

Only tried a little bit before heading to work but seems like a blast.

Hey, so how do different people in local multiplayer use different weapons besides the starter weapon?

and how do they do so when they are playing as a guest online?

G17

seriously - i am at my house playing four player multiplayer and we can't for the life of us figure out how to unlock weapons

Go to the store where you free prisoners, then take the portal upstairs where you can exchange threadballs for new weapons. (need at least 5 threadballs)

You can change your weapons at anytime even during levels by pressing start > player setup.

yeah, but in multiplayer there is no way to get the golden yarn right?

is there any way for people who join as guests in local or online multiplayer to use the weapons that I have already unlocked?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
yeah, but in multiplayer there is no way to get the golden yarn right?

is there any way for people who join as guests in local or online multiplayer to use the weapons that I have already unlocked?
If you play co-op with people online you can get yarn.

And no, your others can't use weapons unless they unlock them themselves on their respective profiles, which sucks because it means playing a lot of the story.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Via the Behemoth Blog:

This coming Friday we’ll be putting up the first BattleBlock Theater user playlists to get featured on either Story (a.k.a. Furbottom’s Features) or Arena! To celebrate this momentous occasion, we’re making this week into Furbottom Fridays’ Kick Off Week!

We’re going to start it off by giving everyone a special prisoner: Purrham Furbottom. All you’ll need to do is sign in to your Xbox LIVE account and launch the full version of BattleBlock Theater! The Furbottom prisoner is now available for a limited time only until this Friday when we launch the new Featured playlists. Once those playlists go up, the Furbottom prisoner will no longer be available (for an indefinite amount of time). So get him ASAP and tell your friends!

Then, when this Friday’s Features come out, the celebration will continue as we’ll be giving BattleBlock Theater players an extra treat! The Behemoth Chicken prisoner will depart, BUT for this kick off week only each Furbottom’s Features playlist will have its own unique secret prisoner unlock when you complete solo or co-op. You have your chance of getting TWO unique secret prisoners instead of the usual one special unlock!

Also, it isn’t too late to submit your user created playlists–ever. Last week, we discussed Furbottom’s Features and Arena Features in detail. If you didn’t get a chance to see the break down on how to submit your playlist, go HERE now! We’ve already started our hunt for the best playlists to feature but we’ll continue looking and changing the Featured playlists every so often.

Check back on Friday when we announce the launch of the user created Featured playlists and the two secret unlocks!

Beckx

For people wondering about sales, they just hit the 100,000K mark. No idea whether that's good or bad anymore (it used to be a great number for two weeks of XBLA sales, but that was years ago).

Beckx

Just a reminder that if you want the Purrham Furbottom head, you need to access Furbottom's Features before the new playlists go up tomorrow.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This thread being dead makes me sad :(

Today's prisoners:

FeaturePost_Donuts.jpg

1) Solo Furbottom’s Features:
Playlist: Buckle Ur Pants
Creator: Xx Tawnia xX
Complete all solo levels to get the special Donuts prisoner!

FeaturePost_Winston.jpg

2) Cooperative (Co-Op) Furbottom’s Features:
Playlist: Flem and Friend
Creator: guyinco6nito
Complete all co-op levels to get the special Winston prisoner, Dan Paladin’s loyal companion.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This thread being dead makes me sad :(

Today's prisoners:

FeaturePost_Donuts.jpg

1) Solo Furbottom’s Features:
Playlist: Buckle Ur Pants
Creator: Xx Tawnia xX
Complete all solo levels to get the special Donuts prisoner!

FeaturePost_Winston.jpg

2) Cooperative (Co-Op) Furbottom’s Features:
Playlist: Flem and Friend
Creator: guyinco6nito
Complete all co-op levels to get the special Winston prisoner, Dan Paladin’s loyal companion.
Do their signs say "YOLO"?

I'm a huge fan of Castle Crashers and I followed Behemoth on and off while they were working on this one. I tried out the demo a few weeks ago and I just couldn't get into it. The UI was very cluttered and confusing to me and I didn't enjoy the combat. The customization seems great though (which is a huge plus), and it's definitely clever and witty. I love Dan Paladin's style, but this is one that I don't think I'll be purchasing.

With that said, I'll be first in line for a Castle Crashers sequel should they go that route.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Do their signs say "YOLO"?
Indeed they do!

The changes will rotate between Arena Features & Furbottom’s Features, so next week we will only change the Arena Features. Remember, the special prisoner unlocks do not necessarily change every time the FF does and they are still Limited Time Only. So, get them quick because YOLO.

Just got both, they don't have them on the actual playable characters, thankfully :p

Both solo and co-op playlists are a good challenge and good fun with a random.

I'm having entirely too much fun creating levels in the level editor. Once I finish the whole set I'm going to put it up online. The levels I've made are BRUTAL though. I end up getting mad at myself for the difficulty. Whoops. But that's a problem I've had ever since the days of Klik N' Play, where I would make games so hard I couldn't even beat them. I got my own difficulty level named after me by my friends because shit I created was so notoriously difficult.

Trying to tone it down a bit as I've managed to beat every level I've made so far in Battleblock Theater, though.

So how have people been going about the local multiplayer? Are you just submitting to everyone using the stock weapon, or have you been going through the campaign multiple times to unlock things for every player?

What about when you want to take multiple local players online? Are you just having the other person use the stock weapon?

The game is a ton of fun, but it's really disheartening to me that in order to get the best local experience I have to first sink in a bunch of hours.

Just started the new Furbottom playlist. They seem like great levels so far.

Gonna have to rope my girlfriend in for some co-op to get that other prisoner :p

Beckx

Just started the new Furbottom playlist. They seem like great levels so far.

Gonna have to rope my girlfriend in for some co-op to get that other prisoner :p

I hated the new Furbottom's co-op levels. Basically a game of "find the two switches to turn off blocks" and it is very possible to screw yourself and have to restart the level.

Stoze

I thought the new single player Furbottom levels were pretty well designed. The co-op playlist had a few good ones near the beginning, the other ones were pretty bad. I can't blame em' though, it seems daunting to try and design a whole playlist of well-made levels for two people.

I thought the new single player Furbottom levels were pretty well designed. The co-op playlist had a few good ones near the beginning, the other ones were pretty bad. I can't blame em' though, it seems daunting to try and design a whole playlist of well-made levels for two people.

The problem with designing levels for two people is that I'm pretty sure you can't test with two people in the level editor. So it's hard to judge exactly what you need to make to make a successful level. At least that's my problem, and that's why I'm sticking to creating solo levels.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Just finished the single player. Really enjoyed it. Scratched the same itch as SMB and N+ for me.

I'd recommend this even if you have no plans to play online.

Top Bottom