• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

mcz117chief

There are plenty of Bolt action rifles and many who use them. So I wouldn't worry too much about the guns in the game. But there were plenty of SMGs in WW1 just so you know.

Oh nice, I only played the beta and only bolt action rifles there were sniper rifles so that really bummed me out. Smgs in WW1 existed but they were far far less common than bolt action rifles and only saw use at the very end of the war.

This game have a lot of content, BF came with no solo and 5 maps if i recall.

Battlefield 1 play like any Battlefield, Battlefront have a 2-person squad system and just a immense lack of depth in it's gameplay. It is fun and all but it get rapidly boring. This game is frustrating at first (if you play it like Battlefront) and rapidly brillants.

Not to mention that every map is playable in every mode in BF1, which were not in Battlefront. Battlefront was a bunch of insanely stupid decisions all packed into one game.

Sure it does.

Now something like Titanfall, that plays nothing like Battlefield. But Battlefront, yeah, it definitely does. You can clearly see the heavy influences previous BF titles had on SW, and the influence SW had on this game.

No it doesnt, for every single reason in each of my posts.

Odrion

Banned
I absolutely disagree and always fear DICE will cave to gamers who are so used to mechanics like this.

Why should you be able to spawn in and pinpoint the enemy at all? If someone is shooting at some people and you sudden spawn in the vicinity and just happen to know the location, that's terrible design

Dont spawn on teammates so eagerly. People do this to get into action faster but if teammates are being engaged, it shouldnt be a free spawn for you to turn the tide by knowing exactly where to shoot as you spawn

The total removal is fantastic. No more heavy reliance on minimap. When shots fire out, you have to duck or rely on teammates. You have to spot and you have to rely on flares. You have to use your ears and there is also a very obvious indicator with the skull icons littered around the minimap

There is just as much spawn deaths as previous BF games and the removal of spotting shooters helps immensely in making the overall pacing feel right.

DICE got so much right with this game despite so many gamers having to recondition their hardwired instinct to rely on terrible mechanics like looking at your minimap 90% of a game

It feels so good to play a game that doesnt do the overly played out "spotted for shooting" junk that completely kills so many games. Way too much kill traditing in BF4, and Im so relieved to play a game where Im not frantically darting from minimap to screen. It was so cheap to wait for enemies to fire on teammates and pop up to finish them, only to get gunned down by an enemy doing the same.

I actually think "vague direction" was in the beta. Maybe its still in? It is the equivalent of using headphones anyway

That's really as far as they should go.
I said that pinpointing someone on the map when they fire was maybe too punishing. But Dice should've put something else in it's place to let you know where the enemy is present. You can still see where a teammate died, but you don't really know how. Having the audio distinguish between ally and enemy gunfire would've solved the missing enemy data problem while downplaying the minimap. Using the Black Ops 3 method where it just vaguely indicates where the nearby enemy gunfire is would've worked as well. But as it is right now, it feels like it rewards you for not playing it like a "game where you're on a battlefield" but instead like a run and gun jackass.
No but if I look at my mini map and don't see friendlies I know the enemy must be close.
not really

Hobbes211

Oh, well I expected at least 2 hours, 30 minutes of bombastic action isn't really worth it I guess. Well I might still bite for the multiplayer but I just have to get over the fact that it isn't a very good representation of the 1st WW. I would just like to use some bolt action rifles instead of all those smgs. Thanks for answering my question though, I appreciate it.

I have the same gripe as you man. There are a bunch of bolt action and semi auto rifles, but the number of SMGs makes it harder to use them. In a 1v1 situation you're almost always outgunned by someone hip firing an SMG. You can still do well in MP with rifles, positioning is just more important I've found. I play mostly as a medic and running in and reviving people pretty much means accepting you'll die if you use rifles.

Mahonay

Banned
Sure it does.

Now something like Titanfall, that plays nothing like Battlefield. But Battlefront, yeah, it definitely does. You can clearly see the heavy influences previous BF titles had on SW, and the influence SW had on this game.
Battlefront feels like a casual arcade shooter. As someone that plays a ton of Battlefield, the new Battlefront was missing any depth that exists in Battlefield games. It was only similar in that they both had big teams with vehicles you could get into. Even the vehicles were different since they were power up symbols you grabbed on the map.

Oh nice, I only played the beta and only bolt action rifles there were sniper rifles so that really bummed me out. Smgs in WW1 existed but they were far far less common than bolt action rifles and only saw use at the very end of the war.

You will have to use the Scout class to use the Bolt action rifles though. But you can remove optics from some of them and just use them as regular weapons if you wish. Yeah, they're in there but don't expect an abundance of them.

Also, maybe someone else can clarify because I haven't used scout much, so there really only might be one or two guns that allow you to remove the optics.

snack

Is it just me, or is spotting horrible in this game? I see an enemy in front of me, and it doesn't light up when I spot him. GODDAMN.

Battlefront feels like a casual arcade shooter. As someone that plays a ton of Battlefield, the new Battlefront was missing any depth that exists in Battlefield games. It was only similar in that they both had big teams with vehicles you could get into. Even the vehicles were different since they were power up symbols you grabbed on the map.

I never said they were identical, they're similar though, lol.

Mahonay

Banned
Is it just me, or is spotting horrible in this game? I see an enemy in front of me, and it doesn't light up when I spot him. GODDAMN.
The window for spotting seems to be much smaller than previous Battlefields.

It was too easy in BF4 for sure, you could just spam spot in front of you and a bunch of enemies would pop up. But yeah, in BF1 right now it's definitely a bit too difficult to spot someone you are looking directly at.
I never said they were identical, they're similar though, lol.
Vaguely similar.

moai

its bad. sometimes i look at an enemy running away and i spam the button but nothing happens. they should fix it asap.

Raide

its bad. sometimes i look at an enemy running away and i spam the button but nothing happens. they should fix it asap.

Might be utterly wrong but I don't thin you can spot them if they have already been spotted. As a poster also said, you cannot spam the spot button, so I dunno if there is some gameplay issue playing its part as well.

They tried to make it so that you can't spam the spot anymore. If you ADS it will almost always get them. I think it has something to do with the range of the weapon as well.

CHC

It's hard to do because you really have to have them RIGHT in your crosshair and about 75% of the time the better option is just going to be to shoot them. Most of the games I've joined people don't really spend much effort spotting enemies, unfortunately.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I absolutely disagree and always fear DICE will cave to gamers who are so used to mechanics like this.

Why should you be able to spawn in and pinpoint the enemy at all? If someone is shooting at some people and you sudden spawn in the vicinity and just happen to know the location, that's terrible design

Dont spawn on teammates so eagerly. People do this to get into action faster but if teammates are being engaged, it shouldnt be a free spawn for you to turn the tide by knowing exactly where to shoot as you spawn

The total removal is fantastic. No more heavy reliance on minimap. When shots fire out, you have to duck or rely on teammates. You have to spot and you have to rely on flares. You have to use your ears and there is also a very obvious indicator with the skull icons littered around the minimap

There is just as much spawn deaths as previous BF games and the removal of spotting shooters helps immensely in making the overall pacing feel right.

DICE got so much right with this game despite so many gamers having to recondition their hardwired instinct to rely on terrible mechanics like looking at your minimap 90% of a game

It feels so good to play a game that doesnt do the overly played out "spotted for shooting" junk that completely kills so many games. Way too much kill traditing in BF4, and Im so relieved to play a game where Im not frantically darting from minimap to screen. It was so cheap to wait for enemies to fire on teammates and pop up to finish them, only to get gunned down by an enemy doing the same.

I actually think "vague direction" was in the beta. Maybe its still in? It is the equivalent of using headphones anyway

That's really as far as they should go.

Wow, this post just sold me on this game.

Mahonay

Banned
COD and BF are vaguely similar in that they're both FPS shooters.

BF and SW are far more so since they're developed by the same studio, have similar modes, use many of the same assets, mechanics etc etc.
Assets is the one thing I'm very thankful that they have a lot of similarity in. If Battlefront has done anything, it helped make Battlefield look absolutely gorgeous.

Its happened to me a few times as well. Not sure if its based on distance or if there's a cooling period for each spot you do. But it can get annoying if there a bunch of enemies closing in and only one gets picked up.

Protein

Banned
The spotting binoculars on scout class are amazing. It's like spotting on steroids. Watch as groups of highlighted-red dudes get swarmed by bullets.

So I'm still on the fence about wether or not to pick up a copy of BF1 at the moment. From what I understand the game's launch has been relatively smooth however, I've been checking NeoGAF, the Battlefield sub-reddit as well as the BF1 official forums and there still appears to be some issues with the game. Specifically the loadouts being reset, freezes and crashes while trying to exit/quit matches, hit registration problems and some apparently terrible spawning problems (directly in front of enemies).

I'm just curious what people's experiences are and the current state of the game and if I should hold off a purchase for another week or two?

P.S. Would be purchasing for XB1 if it's worth it

Edit - Also I can't seem to find a good 'known issues' thread anywhere

Mahonay

Banned
So I'm still on the fence about wether or not to pick up a copy of BF1 at the moment. From what I understand the game's launch has been relatively smooth however, I've been checking NeoGAF, the Battlefield sub-reddit as well as the BF1 official forums and there still appears to be some issues with the game. Specifically the loadouts being reset, freezes and crashes while trying to exit/quit matches, hit registration problems and some apparently terrible spawning problems (directly in front of enemies).

I'm just curious what people's experiences are and the current state of the game and if I should hold off a purchase for another week or two?

It's been a very smooth launch. Loadouts resetting is relatively minor issue that doesn't happen constantly. And the hit reg is really good for a game that just came out. Already feels better than BF4.

Spawning in front of enemies has always been an issue in 64 player Battlefield games. It's annoying but nothing new.

The spotting binoculars on scout class are amazing. It's like spotting on steroids. Watch as groups of highlighted-red dudes get swarmed by bullets.

This + flares + plane spotting is enough. It makes the scout valuable

Regular spotting shouldnt be buffed because of this.

I spot when I see a vehicle or when Im shooting at an enemy that I know I cant kill fast enough. I shouldnt be spotting everyone I see, as that makes the game incredibly reliant on 3d spotting and hurts the maneuverability and flanking that makes this game so good

Its great not being able to spot by looking at a direction or spot 3-4 people in a relative short time

This resulted in a few players spotting for the whole team. I really like spotting the way it is

Today I got into a shootout with an enemy at a distance. None of us were able to kill each other because of our distance, but we were both close.

So I spotted him, and this let my team see him too.

I like that a lot better than constantly spotting everyone I can

use flares. They are very popular and 2d spot enemies which is way better than 3d spotting doritos everywhere

I never had any of those issue but i am on PS4 though. The worst thing that happen to me was that i lost the connection of the game in a Operation "transition" between a map to another map.

For me, the launch is very smooth. There is a lack of some really important and basic feature like making you're loadout out of the actual game (on the main menu) and this annoying quit button that disappear after a game. But it's really minimal, i am sure it'll be fixed soon enough.

Has anyone's class ranks frozen? I can't level up my classes in order to unlock guns and it's incredibly frustrating. Regular level is working fine.

Man the framerate on PS4 is going to be the main thing to make my attention drift to other games. With so many PS4 games having a solid 60fps, this just feels bad in comparison. Even domination drops frames like crazy. Too bad too, since I'm really enjoying the game otherwise.

Mahonay

Banned
Man the framerate on PS4 is going to be the main thing to make my attention drift to other games. With so many PS4 games having a solid 60fps, this just feels bad in comparison. Even domination drops frames like crazy. Too bad too, since I'm really enjoying the game otherwise.
It takes getting used to for sure. But Battlefield games on console have always had unstable framer rates.

Nameless

loving loving loving playing with medic...so much fun!

Their rifles are great but I feel compelled to heal/revive everyone I can get to when playing Medic. Too much responsibility, more times or not I rather not deal with. Besides, having way too much fun with Support. That kit is tailor made towards my play style.

Plus resupplying is an easy way to get highlighted which means more Battlepacks.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Has anyone checked to see if the game still tells you that a medic is nearby when you're downed, even if that medic isn't equipped with a revive needle? That might explain a few instances of medics trampling over my poor unrevived corpse.

What's the difference between 2d and 3D spotting?

2D means they're only being spotted on the map. 3D means they've got the markers above their heads in actual gameplay.

I'm really glad they offer unscoped variants for the snipers, they're so much easier to use that way. It also feels really good out sniping someone with a scope.

Now they just need to come out with the inevitable Russia DLC and give me a Mosin.

Acinixys

Is anyone else having issues with sounds not playing in game?

I swear that footsteps are bugged

I never hear anything from enemies or friendlies. It extremely annoying to get bayoneted from nowhere because you didnt hear them coming

Whenever I charge someone the screen gets a little brighter and the colors a little more vivid. As soon as the charge ends, the screen dims again. I find the vivid, bright look to be so much better. Anyway to make it always look like that?

If you're an Nvidia user, you could try upping the digital vibrance for your monitor within the NVidia control panel. Might do what you're looking for.

Ataxia

I never hear anything from enemies or friendlies. It extremely annoying to get bayoneted from nowhere because you didnt hear them coming
I thought footsteps were alomost too loud. Earlier I heard an enemy climb up a ladder behind me and I just sat there waiting for his head to peak over

Felt dirty. Badass too though

tr1p1ex

IT's hit and miss for me. Maybe sometimes I'm just in a spotting zone.

IN BF4, spotting was difficult at first and then they made it easier after a patch or two.

tr1p1ex

I hear footsteps really well overall. But I don't think bayonet charges are something I hear coming either. Nor horses.

In BF3 and 4, long range sniping was pretty easy, having the bullet leave a tracer that's easy to see was very helpful.

In BF1, I can't snipe from really long ranges because I have no idea where my bullet is landing. Minor annoyance, but I almost totally avoid sniping because of it.

tr1p1ex

2D means they're only being spotted on the map. 3D means they've got the markers above their heads in actual gameplay.

IN BF4 the red dot displaying enemy location on the minimap is faded if the enemy is above or below you. I always thought that was 3d spotting...

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

Yeah. It's shite. Sometimes people are a mile from me and I can spot them through a scope. Sometimes they are literally feet from me and I spot them and they don't light up.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Finished the campaign over the weekend. Probably one of the stronger Battlefields in a while. The challenges were well put together as well.

In BF3 and 4, long range sniping was pretty easy, having the bullet leave a tracer that's easy to see was very helpful.

In BF1, I can't snipe from really long ranges because I have no idea where my bullet is landing. Minor annoyance, but I almost totally avoid sniping because of it.
That's why I think using the infantry versions without the scope is the way to go. You don't feel so tempted to go for ultra long range shots and if you do and don't get the kill you can just chalk it up to not have a scope.

SkylineRKR

Love the Experimental MP18, went consistently top 5 in my last few games. Been headshotting enemies from decent range. Burst fire is pretty great and you can really pump it if needed.

Spotting sucks. I'm not asking for BF4 easiness, but I tried to spot a sniper in front a window and it just wouldn't register. I kept mashing and died.

I kept mashing and died.

I think that's your problem. I've read in multiple places that spotting has a short cooldown and you're penalized if you try to spam it. So maybe you actually missed it the first or second time, then as you continued to hit it, it just hurt you more.

Personally, I haven't had any issues spotting. If I miss a spot twice in a row, I stop trying for a few seconds. I've only played a few matches but I don't believe I've encountered a situation yet where I felt like a spot should have worked when it didn't.

Top Bottom