• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Mahonay

Banned
From xFactor his vid. The ultimate dream.
sPmpUPz.gif

Daffy Duck

I have terrible luck with the flame trooper kit, seems to take me ages to kill people and then I get swamped from all directions.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Probably the best player out of all known youtubers out there.

KD of >60 on that round.

Having 4 minions behind you throwing health helps. Come to think about it, true teamwork (supporting the strongest kit on that occasion)

SDCowboy

Lé Blade Runner;221297094 said:
You really dig those carrots, huh? I mean - I kind of understand, but isn't the fun-factor and the gameplay enough to entertain long-term?

No, it's not. There are too many other good games coming out. In today's age, a multiplayer game just being good or fun is not enough. There needs to be things to work towards and earn. At least for me.

mcz117chief

How is the Italian campaign? It is the only thing I am interested about and I like to know if it is worth to buy it just for that. I heard you play as Arditi in the Alps so I expect night stealth missions, fighting in tunnels and blowing up mountains ala Lagazuoi. Anything like that in the game?

I am a big fan of the Italian front during the WW1 and I would like to know how good a job they did with it.

I gotta say, I really wish there were more unlockables in this game. Especially in the weapon skins department. Right now I've got tons of bonds and absolutely nothing left I care to spend them on. Weapon skins being purchasable would have been nice.

Right now, as fun as the game is, without that carrot dangling at the end of the stick, or that new piece of gear to strive for and to show off, I'm not sure there is enough here to keep me playing long term.

Reading this and it makes me think. The funny thing about many people shitting on Battlefront. Dice makes campaigns and so many hate them to the point where the majority say, why bother, no one plays them anyway, who buys battlefield for campaign? I only buy it for MP anyway etc etc.

Now that game didn't have a campaign, but it had an unlock and progression system near identical to this one, actually, there might even be more to unlock in Battlefront. That game had just as much, if not more online content, but people were angry and yelled rip off.

But in this game, everyone seems to be okay with it, you're not though. Which is what I was expecting from most people after playing for a while and seeing how relatively bare the content is and how little unlocks there are.

How is the Italian campaign? It is the only thing I am interested about and I like to know if it is worth to buy it just for that. I heard you play as Arditi in the Alps so I expect night stealth missions, fighting in tunnels and blowing up mountains ala Lagazuoi. Anything like that in the game?

I am a big fan of the Italian front during the WW1 and I would like to know how good a job they did with it.

If you don't mind paying full price for a 30 minute mission, lol.

It's short, very short and pretty mediocre. The story itself is pretty good, but it's not worth buying just for that, not even for $10, not even $5.

Spoilers:
You are dressed as a heavy as you make your way uphill cutting through everyone. When you get to the top you shortly man an AA gun and take down some planes, then you make your way down the hill through some bunkers looking for someone. That's it.
If you look up the MP called map Monte Grappa, it just takes place there, and no it's not at night.

Whenever I charge someone the screen gets a little brighter and the colors a little more vivid. As soon as the charge ends, the screen dims again. I find the vivid, bright look to be so much better. Anyway to make it always look like that?

No, it's not. There are too many other good games coming out. In today's age, a multiplayer game just being good or fun is not enough. There needs to be things to work towards and earn. At least for me.

This is such a bad message to devs. People do play to enjoy a game and they play hundreds of hours so long as a game is fun. We'll surely get more content but how much do you expect?

you cant enjoy games for the sake of its own fun?

I feel this line of thinking hurts how some games are developed so much. So much for balance and design is tossed out for endless content that ultimately is never all viable or useful.

I hope DICE doesnt just add in stuff for the sake of it and adjusts what exists now to make what they have meaningful

I think they made a mistake with the gutted medals and ribbons and I only hope they add more cosmetics and less gameplay items for the sake of pleasing people who cant enjoy a game on its own merits

SDCowboy

Reading this and it makes me think. The funny thing about many people shitting on Battlefront. Dice makes campaigns and so many hate them to the point where the majority say, why bother, no one plays them anyway, who buys battlefield for campaign? I only buy it for MP anyway etc etc.

Now that game didn't have a campaign and an unlock and progression system near identical to this one, actually, there might even be more to unlock in Battlefront. That game had just as much, if not more online content, but people were angry and yelled rip off.

But in this game, everyone seems to be okay with it, you're not though. Which is what I was expecting from most people after playing for a while and seeing how relatively bare the content is and how little unlocks there are.

Hey, don't get me wrong, people have every right to prefer a more bare-bones multiplayer experience. I don't though. Not anymore. Times have changed, multiplayer game have typically gotten more advanced and RPG-like in terms of progression, and thus so has my taste in games evolved. And for me, I now expect unlocks and character advancement to keep me interested in a multiplayer game for the long haul.

Now that game didn't have a campaign and an unlock and progression system near identical to this one, actually, there might even be more to unlock in Battlefront. That game had just as much, if not more online content, but people were angry and yelled rip off.

The problem with Battlefront is that the core gameplay design sucked. The bare bones unlocks were just adding fuel to an already blazing fire. In this, the core gameplay design is fantastic. Yeah, more unlocks would have been better but they nailed the most important part of the game: Gameplay. Thats why people moved on from battlefront quickly. It wasnt due to lack of unlocks. It was due to subpar gameplay designs.

SDCowboy

This is such a bad message to devs. People do play to enjoy a game and they play hundreds of hours so long as a game is fun. We'll surely get more content but how much do you expect?

you cant enjoy games for the sake of its own fun?

I feel this line of thinking hurts how some games are developed so much. So much for balance and design is tossed out for endless content that ultimately is never all viable or useful.

I hope DICE doesnt just add in stuff for the sake of it and adjusts what exists now to make what they have meaningful

I think they made a mistake with the gutted medals and ribbons and I only hope they add more cosmetics and less gameplay items for the sake of pleasing people who cant enjoy a game on its own merits

I don't think asking for a more advanced multiplayer experience is a bad message to send to devs. It's not the early 00's anymore. It's ok to want and expect more from multiplayer games. "Character" progression and earning loot has become the standard for shooters now. This game has very little, and that's being generous. Like it or not, the addiction-factor of earning stuff is extremely important for keeping players long term.

Also, I never said I need more than the game being good to enjoy the game. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I said I personally need more than that to play long-term though.

mcz117chief

It's short, very short and pretty mediocre. The story itself is pretty good, but it's not worth buying just for that, not even for $10, not even $5.

Spoilers:
You are dressed as a heavy as you make your way uphill cutting through everyone. When you get to the top you shortly man an AA gun and take down some planes, then you make your way down the hill through some bunkers looking for someone. That's it.
If you look up the MP called map Monte Grappa, it just takes place there, and no it's not at night.

Oh, well I expected at least 2 hours, 30 minutes of bombastic action isn't really worth it I guess. Well I might still bite for the multiplayer but I just have to get over the fact that it isn't a very good representation of the 1st WW. I would just like to use some bolt action rifles instead of all those smgs. Thanks for answering my question though, I appreciate it.

Now that game didn't have a campaign, but it had an unlock and progression system near identical to this one, actually, there might even be more to unlock in Battlefront. That game had just as much, if not more online content, but people were angry and yelled rip off.

Spoilers:
Cant speak much for Battlefront, but the issue isnt a lack of content

People wrongly associate lack of content with lack of depth. A game like BF1 can be enjoyed immensely because its a well developed game at its core.

I think its insane that people expect these games to MUST have a set number of variations for loadouts. I think Battlefront was boring and that this game has excellent design. I dont know if Battlefronts ultimate issue was a lack of unlocks, but I know I didnt enjoy the gunplay or maps or modes.

Eyeron

Wiping out squads with the attack plane is so satisfying. I had an amazing run last night on operations. Really need to start recording some clips.

I wonder if we'll get another WW2 Battlefield after this. Could be incredible. D-Day Operations. Hhnnnnggg.

sam777

I have enough warbonds to unlock the Cei-Rigotti optical however when I highlight the weapon there is no button to unlock it, am I doing something wrong here?

I thought Battlefronts gameplay at it's core was incredible. I also really enjoyed the progression. It really isn't a whole lot different than this game other than that one being a little easier to play for the casual bunch. Otherwise though, I see no reason why anyone would like this game, but hate Battlefront. Sure, they're different, but at their core they are very similar and both very fun.

Oh, well I expected at least 2 hours, 30 minutes of bombastic action isn't really worth it I guess. Well I might still bite for the multiplayer but I just have to get over the fact that it isn't a very good representation of the 1st WW. I would just like to use some bolt action rifles instead of all those smgs. Thanks for answering my question though, I appreciate it.

There are plenty of Bolt action rifles and many who use them. So I wouldn't worry too much about the guns in the game. But there were plenty of SMGs in WW1 just so you know.

I don't think asking for a more advanced multiplayer experience is a bad message to send to devs.

I'm not arguing your point, I'm saying that it's valid and I'm surprised that you're one of very few to say so especially considering how vocal people were about battlefront's content.

Tecnniqe

Banned
How the fuck could dice thing having "GAME FOUND" popup IN THE MIDDLE OF A ROUND accept the invite when pressing GOD DAMN SPACE FOR JUMP/CLIMB!?

Fucking morons what the fuck.

I jumped as it popped up and it put me in a new game.

Fuck yall DICE

Kinda disappointed that the campaign overall felt like a glorified tutorial.

I havent played it yet, but the impression i get from it reading about it is that its the missions from Battlefront, only longer.

This to me doesnt scream "proper campaign". They just took the ideas from missions in Battlefront and made them longer. Also, its much easier to design a "campaign" when its 5 different viewpoints that ultimately dont necessarily have to "mesh" well together.

Overall, just reading about it screamed "lazy design" to me. But i havent played it yet and maybe thats why.

Trojan

The soundtrack to this game is god tier. Best game soundtrack this year and fits the mood so perfectly. I've been able to find a selection of songs on SoundCloud but can't believe they haven't officially released the OST yet.

Track 6 in the SoundCloud link below gives me all kind of feels.

https://m.soundcloud.com/superronku

I don't think asking for a more advanced multiplayer experience is a bad message to send to devs. It's not the early 00's anymore. It's ok to want and expect more from multiplayer games. "Character" progression has become the standard for shooters now.

Also, I never said I need more than the game being good to enjoy the game. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I said I personally need more than that to play long-term though.

Adding a shit ton of stuff is not "advanced" or progressive. And it's not regressive to add less, much like how its not regressive to go back to a World War game. Im betting this is the mentality that kept COD futuristic and worried EA with BF1's success

Its a bad message because it says "if you don't have a certain number of things, you cant expect your game to last". It forces devs to make their game one certain way

Its not an early 00s mentality either. Lots of games do just fine without a ton of shit to unlock. Just because character progression is a standard doesnt mean that its good

What do you reasonably expect? Cosmetics, new melee weapons, a few guns are all I expect. Ill come back for new maps mostly and we have that coming.

Do you think BF1 needs to match BF4's 100+ guns and 30+ attachments? Is a game's longevity based on a quantitative set number of unlocks?

Games like Rocket League and Rainbow 6 are played long term because the core experience is fun. Who needs character progression for the sake of following a trend? Are those games wrong for lacking player progression and lacking rpg mechanics?

Id love to see cosmetic rewards and I think service stars are great in that regard. Id like to see them flesh that out (like getting a gold star on a gun). DIce dropped the ball with medals and ribbons and Id love more exclusive unlocks that are purely cosmetic based. But what exactly is your measure?

Kalentan

I've been playing this a lot. Its fun but when you have a team that just goes out and doesn't protect the carrier then it gets frustrating.

That is true. I was playing with 2 friends and while I could count on them to help me- I was always going: "Where the hell is the rest of the team!?"

Cause it always seemed like they were just off doing something else.

I swear people queue up for it thinking it's TDM.

Adding a shit ton of stuff is not "advanced" or progressive. And it's not regressive to add less, much like how its not regressive to go back to a World War game. Im betting this is the mentality that kept COD futuristic and worried EA with BF1's success

Its not an early 00s mentality either. Lots of games do just fine without a ton of shit to unlock. Just because character progression is a standard doesnt mean that its good

What do you reasonably expect? Cosmetics, new melee weapons, a few guns are all I expect. Ill come back for new maps mostly and we have that coming.

Do you think BF1 needs to match BF4's 100+ guns and 30+ attachments? Is a game's longevity based on a quantitative set number of unlocks?

Games like Rocket League and Rainbow 6 are played long term because the core experience is fun. Who needs character progression for the sake of following a trend?

Id love to see cosmetic rewards and I think service stars are great in that regard. Id like to see them flesh that out (like getting a gold star on a gun), but if you want a ton of guns, I hope its not the path DICE take.
I was just about to bring up Rocket League when I saw you mention it. Core gameplay depth is infinitely more important in terms of good game design than unlockables and faux progression.

The best progression a game can give you is the feeling of getting better as you play. Playing for bars to fill and items to unlock is ultimately a very hollow experience and it's a shame so many players can't see that.

vixlar

I thought Battlefronts gameplay at it's core was incredible. I also really enjoyed the progression. It really isn't a whole lot different than this game other than that one being a little easier to play for the casual bunch. Otherwise though, I see no reason why anyone would like this game, but hate Battlefront. Sure, they're different, but at their core they are very similar and both very fun.

In my case is because, to me, Battlefield (and Overwatch) are more than just pew pew pew. I enjoy repairing tanks and helicopters, giving ammo, reviving people, so the others can kill as they want. In Battlefront, all the classes were to kill (maybe the health grenade is an exception), and the infantry doesn't have a connection with friendly transports. So that's why BF1 is really fun to me and Battlefront not that much.

aravuus

I absolutely disagree and always fear DICE will cave to gamers who are so used to mechanics like this.

Why should you be able to spawn in and pinpoint the enemy at all? If someone is shooting at some people and you sudden spawn in the vicinity and just happen to know the location, that's terrible design

Dont spawn on teammates so eagerly. People do this to get into action faster but if teammates are being engaged, it shouldnt be a free spawn for you to turn the tide by knowing exactly where to shoot as you spawn

The total removal is fantastic. No more heavy reliance on minimap. When shots fire out, you have to duck or rely on teammates. You have to spot and you have to rely on flares. You have to use your ears and there is also a very obvious indicator with the skull icons littered around the minimap

There is just as much spawn deaths as previous BF games and the removal of spotting shooters helps immensely in making the overall pacing feel right.

DICE got so much right with this game despite so many gamers having to recondition their hardwired instinct to rely on terrible mechanics like looking at your minimap 90% of a game

It feels so good to play a game that doesnt do the overly played out "spotted for shooting" junk that completely kills so many games. Way too much kill traditing in BF4, and Im so relieved to play a game where Im not frantically darting from minimap to screen. It was so cheap to wait for enemies to fire on teammates and pop up to finish them, only to get gunned down by an enemy doing the same.

I actually think "vague direction" was in the beta. Maybe its still in? It is the equivalent of using headphones anyway

That's really as far as they should go.

Absolutely agreed. I love the fact that I can fuck up a shot from behind and not get instantly massacred since everyone in the vicinity knows my exact location right away.

It makes some stuff easier, it makes some stuff harder, and it makes things much, much more interesting.

MidnightWatcher

Neo Member
Anyone else having a problem with the campaign stuck in a continuous loading screen after the update? Multiplayer works fines, but when I try and play a campaign mission, I'm just stuck on a black screen with a continuous loading icon. Any suggestions?

I was just about to bring up Rocket League when I saw you mention it. Core gameplay depth is infinitely more important in terms of good game design than unlockables and faux progression.

The best progression a game can give you is the feeling of getting better as you play. Playing for bars to fill and items to unlock is ultimately a very hollow experience and it's a shame so many players can't see that.

Overwatch is another great example. No crazy power ups to unlock. Everything is cosmetic. And that's crucial apart from making a core gameplay that is enjoyable.

DICE should add character progression that acts more like reputation-- more medals, bring back ribbons, flesh out service stars, add in extra ranks (which will happen), add new guns if and only if they make sense.

I think theyve cleverly left enough out to add in later, but at a pace that doesnt overwhelm the game. I really rather the existing guns get balanced out to all feel useful

Id hate to see a ton of new guns that arent incredibly different and just retire existing guns just because people want to feel as if they need new toys to feel a sense of purpose

Even worse would be guns that break the class roles, like an assault getting a mid range rifle. How much more can one expect out of SMG's and shotguns before they have to make guns that break those roles? Less is more

Then you really dont get why people play Battlefield. Battlefield is fun because you can create a squad with a bunch of different classes and go into battle together. It lets you heal teammates, repair their vehicles, resupply their ammo, hitch a ride in a vehicle, destroy cover and buildings, etc etc Battlefield is fun because it allows for so many more gameplay possibilities.

Battlefront does none of these things and the things that it does do, does them worse.

hydruxo

The battlepack skins are so underwhelming that I have a hard time believing anyone would actually want to pay real money for them, but there's people out there who will like always

I'm aware of that. You aren't the one I quoted there. lol :p

LOL Right you are, my bad.

In my case is because, to me, Battlefield (and Overwatch) are more than just pew pew pew. I enjoy repairing tanks and helicopters, giving ammo, reviving people, so the others can kill as they want. In Battlefront, all the classes were to kill (maybe the health grenade is an exception), and the infantry doesn't have a connection with friendly transports. So that's why BF1 is really fun to me and Battlefront not that much.

You're right, it's got a lot more depth, but it plays so similar. My point isn't about anything really other than that game getting shit on for lacking on content, but this game being praised for it, lol.

Mahonay

Banned

You're right, it's got a lot more depth, but it plays so similar. My point isn't about anything really other than that game getting shit on for lacking on content, but this game being praised for it, lol.
Battlefront does not play similarly to Battlefield.

Hobbes211

Kinda disappointed that the campaign overall felt like a glorified tutorial.

It did, but I was kinda glad for that fact actually. I liked the campaign design way better than BF4s campaign. I just enjoyed a campaign that wasn't all military cliche HOORAH nonsense that has been every game since BF3. At least there was some attempt at telling a story.

This game have a lot of content, BF came with no solo and 5 maps if i recall.

Battlefield 1 play like any Battlefield, Battlefront have a 2-person squad system and just a immense lack of depth in it's gameplay. It is fun and all but it get rapidly boring. This game is frustrating at first (if you play it like Battlefront) and rapidly brillants.

I mean Battlefront bullets don't even have physics... It's just a straight line.

Battlefront does not play similarly to Battlefield.

Sure it does.

Now something like Titanfall, that plays nothing like Battlefield. But Battlefront, yeah, it definitely does. You can clearly see the heavy influences previous BF titles had on SW, and the influence SW had on this game.

Top Bottom