• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Haines

Banned
Any chance of the pro making this run at better fps online?

Ive heard thats the only isse on ps4 and that would cement me in getting the game.

Really? I've been super impressed by the music. Found myself humming a bit of the menu screen song while at work today. I couldn't tell you anything memorable about the BF3 or BF4 soundtracks, however ...

The menu's music is pretty good, and I like the close-to-victory/defeat tunes. The loading themes, though, are hugely forgettable. They have no impact what-so-ever and never get me pumped for the battle ahead. I miss the days of this and this. Now that is how you do a soundtrack.

hunchback

I'm pretty sure I'm the worst player on Gaf. In 2 hour's, I have 5 kills.

That has to be some sort of record. I'm just horrible. I'm really trying but I am getting sniped left and right. I wait for a medic every single time. I'll give it a few more day's but at this point it's not looking good.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I have started just creating my own Squad and assigning objectives even if I am alone. Fuck jumping around squads looking for some competent leader....they are just leaving points on the table if they don't assign!

Also, what a sad state of affairs to hold down the assign button and see maybe 1 or 2 other leaders assigning objectives when there are 5 squads or more.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

That has to be some sort of record. I'm just horrible. I'm really trying but I am getting sniped left and right. I wait for a medic every single time. I'll give it a few more day's but at this point it's not looking good.
Play medic and equip smoke and the syringe. You'd probably be more helpful than 90% of the other players on the team.

WillyFive

I had worse than that when I first got into Battlefield with 3. It's not a game that you get good at from playing 30 minutes, it's a game you get good at from playing 300 hours.

Also, what a sad state of affairs to hold down the assign button and see maybe 1 or 2 other leaders assigning objectives when there are 5 squads or more.

Wait, what? You can see the orders other leaders have issued when you highlight the Assign Order button? Or am I just misunderstanding you?

If that's what you mean, that's pretty cool.. I had no idea you could do that.

xxracerxx

Wait, what? You can see the orders other leaders have issued when you highlight the Assign Order button? Or am I just misunderstanding you?

If that's what you mean, that's pretty cool.. I had no idea you could do that.

If you are a Squad Leader...hold down the give orders button (R1 on PS4) then press down and it will list the Objective Points, under those there is a number for how many Squad Leaders have assigned that as their objective.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Their are two ways to play this game that will get you plenty of kills. If you can snipe, just pick a point in contention and pitch your tent so that the sweet range for your rifle covers their approach to the point.

If you can't snipe, play assault. Grab a model 10-a hunter and get on the point. You will wreck anybody under 25m.

There are some other ways but aren't really something a new player is going to pick up(airplanes, for example.)

Keep moving. Use cover. Do not stick your head up. Do not cross open areas without smoke, vehicle cover, or friends unless you have to.

A lot of people want to bunker up on a flag while trying to cap it, you almost always get killed by enemy players who know every spot and get the jump on you. Once you learn to keep moving, the spots, etc. you'll naturally find the enemy and at least get a chance to fight back. Movement is also good particularly in operations where 25% of the enemy team will be supports spamming mortars at the closest red dot.

Lastly, kills shouldn't be the primary goal for a new player. You're better off playing medic or support, that way you're still very useful even when your gun skills aren't up to snuff. Get plenty of warbonds/experience just throwing around health/ammo/revives while getting your map knowledge, movement, and gunplay up to snuff.

Tovarisc

Some thoughts in nonspecific order.
  • Assault lvl 10 SMG needs nerf
  • Tanks need slight nerf from durability to firerate to shell accuracy over long range
  • Stationary AT placements need buff, reload faster and better protect operator
  • Marksman bolt actions are odd addition, benefits of sniper scope without downsides
  • LMG's need some overhauling. Idea of starting as insane scatter guns and getting more accurate longer fired doesn't work in game where other classes have borderline lasers
  • BAR is basically only LMG that can compete against SMG''s and DMR's
  • TDM needs to be looked at. Make spawn swap trigger easier, provide more score / XP and maybe remove herokit as it totally fucks over another team
  • Cavalry soldier needs to lose his OHK sword and extra damage resistance when dismounted
  • Shotgun firerate needs slight reduction, but range feels good as you can OHK to some quite absurd ranges
  • Bolt action rifles in general feel better than ever thanks to high muzzle velocities
  • SMG's could do with more drastic damage drop off and accuracy decrease over range, too easy to "snipe" with MP18 and Hell. Even Automatico is pushing it
  • Increase maximum rocket count for rocket gun by 1 or 2
  • Increase slightly how far you can throw dynamite and heavy AT grenades
  • Suppression shouldn't cause aim sway and blow weapon accuracy all to hell, especially if weapon is mounted on bipod
  • Audio needs to be rebalanced and remixed. No matter what audio setting is chosen game has extremely laughable directional audio and audio level priorities. You can hear pin dropping 300m out, but not enemy who is in same room and firing at you from 2m out. Your performance improves when you stop trusting audio ques and just start looking around a lots more
  • Flak cannons [read: AA] feel powerful, but not too powerful. 50 - 50 if they should do more damage to bombers
  • Placement of stationary gun placements, AA & AT, is more often than not moronic when considering shapes of land and expected directions of offensive
  • Vaulting is finicky like it was in 4, but could be worse
  • Visually game is easy on eyes

If you are a Squad Leader...hold down the give orders button (R1 on PS4) then press down and it will list the Objective Points, under those there is a number for how many Squad Leaders have assigned that as their objective.

Woah, nice catch! I really wish more of this stuff was explained to us. The lack of tutorials and information all-together is really annoying.

I'm loving the smoke grenades. I have them equipped on my two most-played classes (Medic and Support). I love tossing them onto capture points and seeing my whole team run into the smoke and take over the capture zone.

Zereta

I am very hit and miss with Battlefield. Play the medic and spawn on team mates. Not only is it more action pack and intense every time, you can play an active team role without necessarily getting kills.

But yea, the way physics and mechanics work in battlefield takes a lot of getting used to.

Tovarisc

Any chance of the pro making this run at better fps online?

Ive heard thats the only isse on ps4 and that would cement me in getting the game.

Depends on how much performance ceiling gets lifted with that CPU OC, as game is hitting the wall there currently and being CPU bound.

kiguel182

Caved in and bought the game on PS4. I hadn't played a Battlefield game since BC2 and this brought me right back to that time. There's nothing quite like this. This big warfare type stuff creates so many cool moments. The setting is fantastic which really helps. The framerate on PS4 could be better but oh well, it's life. It doesn't ruin the experience at least.

I just don't get how to unlock weapons. I went to the Player screen and I can see the weapons are locked and now many war bonds they cost but I can't unlock them?

xxracerxx

Caved in and bought the game on PS4. I hadn't played a Battlefield game since BC2 and this brought me right back to that time. There's nothing quite like this. This big warfare type stuff creates so many cool moments. The setting is fantastic which really helps. The framerate on PS4 could be better but oh well, it's life. It doesn't ruin the experience at least.

I just don't get how to unlock weapons. I went to the Player screen and I can see the weapons are locked and now many war bonds they cost but I can't unlock them?

Do you have the War Bonds and/or kit level to unlock the weapon?

edit: Oh and you have to buy the weapons during the match! Hit Customize (Triangle) when picking your class.

buying new weapons is weirdly hidden. Lots of weird UI shit in this game like not being able to go back to the main menu after a game of conquest or anything.

Anyway, you can buy weapons and whatnot when you're in a game. When you're picking your loadout just hit triangle to customize.

RedSnake

Just finished the campaign and was super surprised that we've been played all this time and this was Chapter 3.

Seriously... Chapter 3: Battlefield 1.

kiguel182

Do you have the War Bonds and/or kit level to unlock the weapon?

edit: Oh and you have to buy the weapons during the match! Hit Customize (Triangle) when picking your class.

buying new weapons is weirdly hidden. Lots of weird UI shit in this game like not being able to go back to the main menu after a game of conquest or anything.

Anyway, you can buy weapons and whatnot when you're in a game. When you're picking your loadout just hit triangle to customize.

You have to do it in game? That's a weird decision for sure.

Cronnie

Asked last night and no-one seemed sure, so I'll ask again;

So how exactly do you use the spotting camera that's part of the default Bomber loadout?

Pressing the button on the d-pad (on the PS4) doesn't seem to be doing anything, unlike say the spotting flares on the Assault Plane which drop down when you press it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Some thoughts in nonspecific order.
  • Assault lvl 10 SMG needs nerf
  • Tanks need slight nerf from durability to firerate to shell accuracy over long range
  • Stationary AT placements need buff, reload faster and better protect operator
  • Marksman bolt actions are odd addition, benefits of sniper scope without downsides
  • LMG's need some overhauling. Idea of starting as insane scatter guns and getting more accurate longer fired doesn't work in game where other classes have borderline lasers
  • BAR is basically only LMG that can compete against SMG''s and DMR's
  • TDM needs to be looked at. Make spawn swap trigger easier, provide more score / XP and maybe remove herokit as it totally fucks over another team
  • Cavalry soldier needs to lose his OHK sword and extra damage resistance when dismounted
  • Shotgun firerate needs slight reduction, but range feels good as you can OHK to some quite absurd ranges
  • Bolt action rifles in general feel better than ever thanks to high muzzle velocities
  • SMG's could do with more drastic damage drop off and accuracy decrease over range, too easy to "snipe" with MP18 and Hell. Even Automatico is pushing it
  • Increase maximum rocket count for rocket gun by 1 or 2
  • Increase slightly how far you can throw dynamite and heavy AT grenades
  • Suppression shouldn't cause aim sway and blow weapon accuracy all to hell, especially if weapon is mounted on bipod
  • Audio needs to be rebalanced and remixed. No matter what audio setting is chosen game has extremely laughable directional audio and audio level priorities. You can hear pin dropping 300m out, but not enemy who is in same room and firing at you from 2m out. Your performance improves when you stop trusting audio ques and just start looking around a lots more
  • Flak cannons [read: AA] feel powerful, but not too powerful. 50 - 50 if they should do more damage to bombers
  • Placement of stationary gun placements, AA & AT, is more often than not moronic when considering shapes of land and expected directions of offensive
  • Vaulting is finicky like it was in 4, but could be worse
  • Visually game is easy on eyes
The BF community never really embraced the suppression mechanic, but Support in BF1 can't deter Scouts at range without it. The irony of BF4 is that the LMGs were so accurate that the class didn't need the controversial suppression mechanic at all.

Finished the campaign. I saved the AZNAC story for last.

I'm honesty really conflicted about the whole campaign. There are so many things wrong with it. But there are a few little gems in there.

Tovarisc

The BF community never really embraced the suppression mechanic, but Support in BF1 can't deter Scouts at range without it. The irony of BF4 is that the LMGs were so accurate that the class didn't need the controversial suppression mechanic at all.

This model of suppression has always been flawed. Both sides get suppressed in equal amounts so no one is hitting anyone without being very lucky. Because of this you don't get real incentive to take cover because its not like anybody is hitting anyone. There is no real threat of dying without unsuppressed 3rd party coming along.

Also I think SMG bullet fired from 300m out at general direction of bipod mounted bolt action rifle shouldn't turn bipod into liquid and make sniper unable to return to fire. Yet it's still one of the best ways to get over dicey spots, tap fire few times at sniper in distance.

Yesterday I said I'd stop going for medals, that worked until just now when I continued to try to get the 5 explosive kills in one life, was going terribly, quit mid match.

I really hope they patch the medals, I really don't like the current set up.

Yesterday I said I'd stop going for medals, that worked until just now when I continued to try to get the 5 explosive kills in one life, was going terribly, quit mid match.

I really hope they patch the medals, I really don't like the current set up.

I just want more stats in this game.

Where are in-game achievements like combat efficiency and stuff like that? Those ribbons were always fun and varied. Collecting enough of them earned you a medal. That had a lot of replayability as I loved collecting those.

And why cant I track my accolades? How many times did I get best Medic, or best pilot? Why arent those turned into awards (like exclusive dogtags after collecting them enough times)

All that is sadly gutted.

As far as cosmetic rewards go, those were really enjoyable.

I just want more stats in this game.

Where are in-game achievements like combat efficiency and stuff like that? Those ribbons were always fun and varied. Collecting enough of them earned you a medal. That had a lot of replayability as I loved collecting those.

And why cant I track my accolades? How many times did I get best Medic, or best pilot? Why arent those turned into awards (like exclusive dogtags after collecting them enough times)

All that is sadly gutted.

As far as cosmetic rewards go, those were really enjoyable.

Yeah feel like they messed up from how comprehensive BF4 was in that regard. Especially in getting battlepacks. I'm okay with RNG rewards but the drop not being something you can work to and know how to get is beyond fustrating.

Top Bottom