• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

JJShadow

As a first-timer in the BF games, I am finally feeling that the game is clicking on me, and I love it. I've been improving a lot these last days, I'm starting to learn the maps and predict enemy routes/strategies, and I'm improving my KD a lot as well, went from 0.5 in my first games to keep a constant 1-1.2 KD ratio in my last games

Also I've started using the Mondragon with my Medic and I really like it, my favourite weapon so far for this class

Coffinhal

But in BF1 I'm a Kraut killing everyone else. It's great.

Look at how fly these German soldiers are.
Code:
[IMG]https://images8.alphacoders.com/723/723917.jpg[/IMG]
Such style.

In MP yes

But in SP it's once again a storyline that follows only the good guys ("the Allies") against the bad guys ("the Central powers").

They went Hollywood all the way but didn't even make one story from another point of view. That's strange because they like to emphasise how war is terrible for every human being etc etc etc (more in order to get your tears than for any other reason anyway)

leng jai

Guys I have Steelseries headphones which I tried today with the game plugged in my dualshock 4.Sound is quite distorted during explosions.Any clue how to fix?

The problem is you're plugging your headphones directly I to the controller which basically guarantees distortion and garbage sound quality.

Gaz_RB

I wonder how many people who complain about medics not reviving them charged out of cover and died in the middle of an open field?

Xater

I am starting to be ruthless with my squads. When I notice I have a scout in it that is just sitting at a hillside, no contributing anything to what the rest of the squad is doing, I just throw him out. I can't deal with people like that anymore.

I am starting to be ruthless with my squads. When I notice I have a scout in it that is just sitting at a hillside, no contributing anything to what the rest of the squad is doing, I just throw him out. I can't deal with people like that anymore.

Can you kick people out of squads on Console? I never thought to try...

Xater

I'm not the biggest fan of Jackfrags due to some shady history with EA, but I pretty much agree with him on everything that is wrong with the game: https://youtu.be/7TPydcY1TJk

Some of his complaints he isn't sure about if they apply to the consoles as well, but mostly they do.

The skins?

You have to customise your weapon during a match. Before picking deploy location press Triangle and customise the weapon and you can change the visual look with the skins in your inventory.

They're camp/skins.

Under weapon customization, you'll find them under "Visuals".

They are skins for those weapons. Not weapons itself. :)

Oh, thank you guys.

So what excuse do people genuinely have for not issuing orders as a squad leader?

It's the fucking worst.

I think it's poor game design first and foremost. Squad leaders have no indicators telling them to issue orders besides requests given by teammates in the tiny chat window. And why WOULDN'T a squad ever have orders? What I'm getting at with that question is if orders aren't given within ~30 seconds, they should be automatically assigned by the game. I mean, the squad leader system has the depth of a puddle anyways. Literally the only command you can give is to go to a flag. There's absolutely no reason why this shouldn't be handled by the game itself if a squad leader doesn't take the initiative after so much time has passed.

Maximus P

Just had a guy fly the blimp right out of the map in operations.

Cost us the game.

I didnt think it was possible do that before tonight.

Maximus P

So what excuse do people genuinely have for not issuing orders as a squad leader?

It's the fucking worst.

In defence, the game doesn't really prompt you to give orders, neither is their any on screen prompt explaining how squad orders work or how they give you more points.

Dice really should have implemented some kind of on screen tutorial the first time you become squad leader.That and there should be bonuses at the end of the match for 'best squad leader' to encourage more use of the function.

twothreesix

Neo Member
I think it's poor game design first and foremost. Squad leaders have no indicators telling them to issue orders besides those given by teammates in the tiny chat window, and why WOULDN'T a squad ever have orders? If orders aren't given within ~30 seconds, they should be automatically assigned by the game.

I agree with the general idea here. It's hard to look at it from the other perspective if you've been playing Battlefield games or even FPS games for a while, but a lot of the little things are not explained clearly to players. This extends to things like pressing Q to spot or 3 to throw an ammo pack, basics that we take for granted.

I'm not the biggest fan of Jackfrags due to some shady history with EA, but I pretty much agree with him on everything that is wrong with the game: https://youtu.be/7TPydcY1TJk

Some of his complaints he isn't sure about if they apply to the consoles as well, but mostly they do.

I agree with him on gas nades. I like the idea of them, but they are way too spammy atm. Argonne Forest and Suez are pretty much gas 24/7.

WillyFive

Gas should conform better with its environment (like it shouldn't go through walls) but it should be stronger too. There are too many people that don't put on their masks because they know it will cause little to no damage. It should kill them within seconds.

I agree with him on gas nades. I like the idea of them, but they are way too spammy atm. Argonne Forest and Suez are pretty much gas 24/7.

Yeah, gas is everywhere in this game. What also bothers me is that it never seems to serve any kind of "intentional" purpose. People just throw it out and it gasses up the area without directly benefiting either side. It always seems like a complete mess.

Menitta

I played quite a few matches and I think Battlefield might not be for me. I can tell the game is good, but the way I play shooters just doesn't work for Battlefield. I do want to like it and I'm going to keep trying but I'm probably going to stop playing by Friday.

Question: Can I be a medic and just use the first aid crate instead of reviving? I really like the semi-automatic.

Increases your peripheral vision. The more you can see the more likely you are to see an enemy, and it gives things a better sense of distance and scale. Too high and it looks bad though imo, like a fish-eye lens.

mObQRwZ.gif

In the menu they list it as Vertical and Horizontal. Those numbers in that gif are associating with what value? The Vertical value or Horizontal value.

To me, 85 looks the best. Good view but no fish-eye effect. But is that value of 85 vertical FOV or Horizontal FOV. I want to match it with the settings in BOF1.

tr1p1ex

Oh yeah the friends list/join/invite stuff is borked. It's bugged and it's not feature complete yet. Looking up your stats isn't feature complete either compared to previous games. I don't think they have Platoon pages/chat in BF1 yet either. But this stuff always borked for first few months in a BF game.

NOt sure why they put all of it back in the game. I liked the browser method. You could get on and just leave browser open letting friends know you are there. You didn't have to boot up the game. It seems like more of a chore to boot up the game to check servers, friends, platoon, group chats and stats.

Unfortunately if they do create "changes" to the game like they did with Battlefield 4 then I'm out. The community complaints ran that game into the ground homogenizing all the classes and nerfing the vehicles into oblivion so badly that they were damageless paper boxes.

People, particularly the call of duty crowd running towards this series, are so desperate to make this a bland infantry-only series. You only have to go back and look at the best games in the series 1942, 2, and 2142 and compare them to modern titles to see what a skeleton the core gameplay is today. Vehicle spawns are sparser, maps are smaller, and round times are shorter.

I laughed on Ballroom Blitz today because some guy was screaming into the squad chat that this game was stupid and he couldn't kill tanks. I spawned near him and blew up up one of those heavy tanks with a AT-rocket gun from a distance and he proceeded to ragequit the server. People are incapable of strategy or putting in teamwork.

So this is probably a general PC question but I tried a long HDMI cable from my PC to my other TV and well the game started dropping frames like crazy no matter my settings. I can get a locked 60FPS in MP at 1440p Ultra on my monitor but when I connected it to my other TV via the HDMI cable the game just could not keep 60FPS.

daxy

This actaully fixed it wow!Cheers man.And what do you suggest for surround 5.1 ,which is my default audio?

Probably just setting it to surround mix and headphones for type of audio source. I don't know because I don't have a surround set but I think that'd make sense :p

RoKKeR

So this wasn't something I was not expecting to see...

I'm not totally sure how these stats are calculated, but it usually is consistent with what makes sense in terms of the most played games. Pretty impressive. FWIW BF1 has 200k online on XB1 right now.

The problem is you're plugging your headphones directly I to the controller which basically guarantees distortion and garbage sound quality.

This.

If you care about sound quality in the slightest, you don't want to be plugging your headphones into the controller. It sounds nasty as fuck.

Coffinhal

In the menu they list it as Vertical and Horizontal. Those numbers in that gif are associating with what value? The Vertical value or Horizontal value.

To me, 85 looks the best. Good view but no fish-eye effect. But is that value of 85 vertical FOV or Horizontal FOV. I want to match it with the settings in BOF1.

I'd like to clarify an error I saw many times about FOV

It's not "fish-eye", it's the effect of a wide-angle lens (like 24mm on a full frame captor).

Fish-eye is way more distorted

240px-Effet_fisheye_7SC0685EC.jpg

Unfortunately if they do create "changes" to the game like they did with Battlefield 4 then I'm out. The community complaints ran that game into the ground homogenizing all the classes and nerfing the vehicles into oblivion so badly that they were damageless paper boxes.

People, particularly the call of duty crowd running towards this series, are so desperate to make this a bland infantry-only series. You only have to go back and look at the best games in the series 1942, 2, and 2142 and compare them to modern titles to see what a skeleton the core gameplay is today. Vehicle spawns are sparser, maps are smaller, and round times are shorter.

I laughed on Ballroom Blitz today because some guy was screaming into the squad chat that this game was stupid and he couldn't kill tanks. I spawned near him and blew up up one of those heavy tanks with a AT-rocket gun from a distance and he proceeded to ragequit the server. People are incapable of strategy or putting in teamwork.

I love that kind of pseudo-elistic generalisation towards newcomers.

Looks like my grandpa talking about immigrants "it was better before, everything was fine, the life (gameplay) was ok, then THEY came, these criminals (noobs) that don't understand and master the life (core gameplay) as I do, I like to humiliate them and shout it publicly on a forum"

Just go back and masturbate on the good old Battlefield, you'll feel good.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
People, particularly the call of duty crowd running towards this series, are so desperate to make this a bland infantry-only series. You only have to go back and look at the best games in the series 1942, 2, and 2142 and compare them to modern titles to see what a skeleton the core gameplay is today.

You mean the three that had horrible (okay 2142 wasn't that bad) infantry gunplay to where most everyone was just a jet or tank whore? Those entries?

Finished the Ottoman story campaign.

It's not bad actually, at least it tries harder to justify all the stealth and one-man army stuff you do.

But that gets to another point. Holy moly there's too much stealth in this campaign.

When the main theme starts on the menu screen, hold me.

You just reminded me how strangely forgettable/subtle the music is in this game, save for the main menu and "urgent" songs that play when close to victory/defeat. I literally can't recall a single loading screen tune. DICE has completely failed at creating memorable soundtracks since Battlefield 2 and 2142 IMO.

xinek

You just reminded me how strangely forgettable/subtle the music in this game is, save for the main menu and "urgent" songs that play when close to victory/defeat. I literally can't recall a single loading screen tune. DICE has completely failed at creating memorable soundtracks since Battlefield 2 and 2142 IMO.

Really? I've been super impressed by the music. Found myself humming a bit of the menu screen song while at work today. I couldn't tell you anything memorable about the BF3 or BF4 soundtracks, however ...

WillyFive

Yeah, this is the first game since the release of 2142 that lives up to the musical standards of Battlefield. All the new themes are fantastic and memorable, and especially because they are now played in-game (where they belong) instead of just the loading screen.

Yep. They relied way too much on that.

It seems like they didn't want all that stealth tech written for Hardline to be left forgotten in Hardline.

Top Bottom