• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

I think it's incredible how changing your class or weapon of choice in a class can completely change the way the game feels and plays for you in really exciting ways. I haven't been this stoked about an unlock system in a long time. In games like BF4 I frequently felt outgunned because someone had a better version of a certain weapon type. In BF1 all weapons seem viable, but they have their specific play style uses.

With that said, I'm really curious how Hardcore mode will play out. I always preferred Hardcore in BF3/BF4.

How do people enjoy hardcore? :p

Feels like it's full of campers and one shot kills with unbalanced weapons seems like such a weird afterthought. Id enjoy it if they actually balanced the weapons separately for HC.

I think the ideal playlist alternative should be Classic:

-Squad Leader spawn only
-No health regen, or regen to 70% max (unless medic heals you)
-2D spotting only

I wish that playlist was more popular, as it makes Squad Leader and medics more important.

As it is, I love the game but hate the amount of damage people can take before going down. I don't like regenerating health, no friendly fire, spotting or 3rd person in vehicles either.

I also don't like the glare from sniper rifle scopes or the behemoths, but I doubt you can turn them off.

Tovarisc

One reason: 40m range for 100 damage on SMLE compared to 80m for the Gewehr 98. I like to play scout very aggressively and hate staying at distance and sniping away.

In BF game if you are shooting at target that is 40m out you are sniping, or praying that any of bullets from LMG or SMG land even in same postal code as target. If you are very consistent with landing OHK sweetspot shots hats off for you, you are like 1 in 1000 scouts at that point.

If you want go all out on aggressive scout you will pick Russian 1895 Infantry as primary, imo.

Woo-Fu

Banned
As it is, I love the game but hate the amount of damage people can take before going down. I don't like regenerating health, no friendly fire, spotting or 3rd person in vehicles either.

I also don't like the glare from sniper rifle scopes or the behemoths, but I doubt you can turn them off.

Sounds like somebody who wants to prone in a bush the entire round. :)

Just like in BF4 I see so many people too scared to take objectives even when they have the most devastating, potentially tide-turning machine on the battlefield - the tank. It is possible to do both. The kit with the auto-repair and flamethrowers on the sides in perfect for storming a capture point..especially at C on Amiens, just park that badboy in the alley and let the flamethrowers go to town.

Just went 62-2 on SQS and captured the most points. So many people just waste the tanks.

Sounds like somebody who wants to prone in a bush the entire round. :)

Nah, I never use the rifles with scopes. Always the infantry variants. It sucks because I like to play medic or support so I can drop supplies or revive team mates, but the weapons feel like bb guns. I love running in with my infantry Gewehr.

Jb

Just like in BF4 I see so many people too scared to take objectives even when they have the most devastating, potentially tide-turning machine on the battlefield - the tank. It is possible to do both. The kit with the auto-repair and flamethrowers on the sides in perfect for storming a capture point..especially at C on Amiens, just park that badboy in the alley and let the flamethrowers go to town.

For some people I imagine it's a bit like when you become the Tank in L4D: yeah you're super powerful but if you fuck it up and die without doing any significant damage you're gonna look pretty dumb.

Same reason Jim gets his own threads
Ok.

Tovarisc

Same reason Jim gets his own threads

I don't see similarity. Jimquisitions talk about issues, trends etc. within gaming communities and industry and related sites, where Joe's videos are game reviews where he wears costumes and usually yells a lots for no good reason.

Edit: Basically I have never understood why GAF elevates one specific reviewer and his reviews so much.

Raptor

Whats the name of a bolt action rifle without scope?

To know what to buy I would hate to buy a rifle and to have a damn scope.

Mugenjin

In BF game if you are shooting at target that is 40m out you are sniping, or praying that any of bullets from LMG or SMG land even in same postal code as target. If you are very consistent with landing OHK sweetspot shots hats off for you, you are like 1 in 1000 scouts at that point.

If you want go all out on aggressive scout you will pick Russian 1895 Infantry as primary, imo.

Since BF1 maps in general (not playing scout on suez/argonne anyway) are a lot more open compared to previous BF the range for OHK of 40m presents itself quite often. Again the russian rifle also has a higher range (like 70/80m?) for OHK and only a magazine size of 5 whereas with the SMLE you can just insert a clip of 5 when you're anywhere between 0-5 bullets remaining. Landing OHK is also much easier on PC compared to consoles I would assume if you're any half decent at aiming.

Surfinn

Man, I played the most aggravating game yesterday. Some dude was just sitting in a heavy tank hiding behind C in Ballroom Blitz.. and just farming infantry kills on the outside of the building. The point was often even capp'd by the enemy. Dude literally camped out in his tank with no one in it since he wasn't moving. He went 55-1 or something and we barely lost because this idiot wouldn't cap points in front or behind him. I think he had two tanks and no one could spawn a heavy tank since someone else was dicking around with a light tank camping on the other side of the map. Tanks would cap D and he wouldn't move. E, nearest to our base, would be capped and he wouldn't move. Just sitting and firing at infantry running in and out of C.

Shit is infuriating. Some people really don't give a shit about their team or the objectives.

Tovarisc

Since BF1 maps in general (not playing scout on suez/argonne anyway) are a lot more open compared to previous BF the range for OHK of 40m presents itself quite often. Again the russian rifle also has a higher range (like 70/80m?) for OHK and only a magazine size of 5 whereas with the SMLE you can just insert a clip of 5 when you're anywhere between 0-5 bullets remaining. Landing OHK is also much easier on PC compared to consoles I would assume if you're any half decent at aiming.

To me aggressive scout is one in with medics and assaults on caps, rekking shit up in close distances. Not one sitting in house with marksman variant and sniping at people 40-50m out. That is just your normal scout gameplay.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I don't see similarity. Jimquisitions talk about issues, trends etc. within gaming communities and industry and related sites, where Joe's videos are game reviews where he wears costumes and usually yells a lots for no good reason.

Edit: Basically I have never understood why GAF elevates one specific reviewer and his reviews so much.
Yeah I guess that's true.

Meh don't care.

thejpfin

End Of Round screen is still bugged, it refuses to load.
If I was MVP in the match, I wanna see my name and meme profile pic in End of Round screen, but nooo :(

Talking about maps, imo Suez and Sinai are the worst maps in the game. Sometimes I straight up spam Alt+F4 in the loading screen if one of those two maps are loading.

Mugenjin

To me aggressive scout is one in with medics and assaults on caps, rekking shit up in close distances. Not one sitting in house with marksman variant and sniping at people 40-50m out. That is just your normal scout gameplay.

So how is the russian rifle better than the SMLE since both do 80 up close? You trade faster rate of fire for smaller magazine size. Faster rate of fire is meaningless since it's better to follow up with a pistol.

Tovarisc

Is there any gun in the Scout class that is not bolt action?

Russian 1895 is lever action, does it count?

So how is the russian rifle better than the SMLE since both do 80 up close? You trade faster rate of fire for smaller magazine size. Faster rate of fire is meaningless since it's better to follow up with a pistol.

You fire twice with Russian in same time as you fire once with SMLE and try get your sidearm out.

Surfinn

End Of Round screen is still bugged, it refuses to load.
If I was MVP in the match, I wanna see my name and meme profile pic in End of Round screen, but nooo :(

Talking about maps, imo Suez and Sinai are the worst maps in the game. Sometimes I straight up spam Alt+F4 in the loading screen if one of those two maps are loading.

Suez is straight up COD trash. 64 players is a joke on a map so small. I can't wait for dedicated servers so we can avoid it in rotation.

Man, I played the most aggravating game yesterday. Some dude was just sitting in a heavy tank hiding behind C in Ballroom Blitz.. and just farming infantry kills on the outside of the building. The point was often even capp'd by the enemy. Dude literally camped out in his tank with no one in it since he wasn't moving. He went 55-1 or something and we barely lost because this idiot wouldn't cap points in front or behind him. I think he had two tanks and no one could spawn a heavy tank since someone else was dicking around with a light tank camping on the other side of the map. Tanks would cap D and he wouldn't move. E, nearest to our base, would be capped and he wouldn't move. Just sitting and firing at infantry running in and out of C.

Shit is infuriating. Some people really don't give a shit about their team or the objectives.

That K/D though.....

Mugenjin

You fire twice with Russian in same time as you fire once with SMLE and try get your sidearm out.

I guess we have to disagree. The SMLE just works for me considering that i have a KPM of 1.4 with the SMLE compared to my other guns I have a couple hundred kills with (1.4 to 1.7 between medic rifles, assault SMGs and BAR).

Suez is straight up COD trash. 64 players is a joke on a map so small. I can't wait for dedicated servers so we can avoid it in rotation.

I agree it's trash with 64 players. If you notice, BF1 defaults Operations to 40 players. I love a good 64 player Operations, but some maps benefit significantly from 40 players. I actually enjoy and appreciate Suez with 40 players.

Surfinn

That K/D though.....

K/D doesn't matter in a 64 player game when you're wasting a tank by not capping points and giving your team an advantage. I went 62-1 yesterday but I was constantly moving and covering the middle of the map and giving my team a chance to win. I even went over to another side of the map to help kill the train.. probably did 50% damage to it. It's not about K/D when you're in a tank, it's about what you're providing for your team (ie capping points, providing pressure, dropping ammo, providing spawns, KILLING OTHER TANKS AND HEAVY VEHICLES, and of course clearing flags).

K/D doesn't matter in a 64 player game when you're wasting a tank by not capping points and giving your team an advantage. I went 62-1 yesterday but I was constantly moving and covering the middle of the map and giving my team a chance to win. I even went over to another side of the map to help kill the train.. probably did 50% damage to it. It's not a bout K/D when you're in a tank, it's about what you're providing for your team.

Yup, and a skilled tank player can do both, which is why it's so infuriating to see people sitting back sniping with them.

*Splinter

People are allowed to create threads about any review, if there wasn't interest there wouldn't be replies.

That said, most of the replies in Joe threads seem to be questioning the threads existence, so when those posts get stamped out I imagine Joe threads will die pretty quick.

And yeah, silly to compare to Sterling whose videos usually contain something worth discussing.

Firebrand

I wish the game would automatically switch squad leaders if the squad leader doesn't give any orders, or at least give them a hint this is something they should be doing to coordinate players just a little.

K/D doesn't matter in a 64 player game when you're wasting a tank by not capping points and giving your team an advantage. I went 62-1 yesterday but I was constantly moving and covering the middle of the map and giving my team a chance to win. I even went over to another side of the map to help kill the train.. probably did 50% damage to it. It's not about K/D when you're in a tank, it's about what you're providing for your team (ie capping points, providing pressure, dropping ammo, providing spawns, KILLING OTHER TANKS AND HEAVY VEHICLES, and of course clearing flags).

Sarcasm sensor broken? haha

Anyone else think the grunt when you get revived sound really close to Tim Allen's grunt? Everytime I get revived that's all i can hear

Seriously, just get rid of the damn K/D on scoreboards. Bad Company 2 did it just fine.

And those asshole tankers are just the worst. They'll also camp the spawn screen for a new tank to do it all over again. I wish they'd actually have a small priority feature where someone new can spawn in a tank before the last tanker just to avoid this.

There has to be something done, as KDR douches are clearly playing tanks as giant KDR farming machines. Too bad his opponents were trash.

On the flip side, what are the chances that he racked up more points for the team by killing a lot of players, compared to capping the flag? Maybe those 60 or so kills he got contributed as much as capping the flag? And why didn't any of his teammates try to rush C if he was at least clearing out some enemies?

I really wish the announcer was more useful. It would be nice if she said stuff like "Prioritize enemy tank" after a tank goes on a big streak

Tovarisc

I really wish the announcer was more useful. It would be nice if she said stuff like "Prioritize enemy tank" after a tank goes on a big streak

2 minutes after said tank was already killed. Love it when announcer says "We lost objective Apples!" just as team got done recapping it after losing it minute ago.

Top Bottom