• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Hjod

Banned
Hmm, I played a similar Suez conquest match yesterday evening/night where all our 3 flags were taken and our train guy didn't move the train. It was EU server too. Maybe we all 3 played on the same server :D.

At start of the match my team took every flag. Then few mins later enemy took all flags back and started spawn killing us, it was total spawn kill fest nonstop until match ended.

That sound really familiar, same thing happened to me, yesterday haha. We might have been on the same server, all of us :p.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
People who discover the game today don't have the knowledge you all accumulated throughout the beta + the early access + one week since launch.

Damn this thread is slowly becoming whining about how your last game was ruined because of other people. I'm waiting until two gaffers who played in the same team criticise how the other one didn't know how to play the right way.

This is how a lot of players are niwadays. Way too much blame dodging and not enough self loathing.

Coffinhal

Just because criticism exists doesn't mean it's not a good game or that it's not worth playing. It's a lot of fun but there's nothing wrong with raising awareness about things that make the experience a lot worse for scores of people.

I think we can all agree that people not playing the objectives really ruins the game regardless of what you're playing (unless it's team DM).

Yeah it's annoying to be a bad team and multiplayer games are annoying because real people are involved in them and do shit.

Now get over this, there's nothing you can do about it unless you're a DICE developer that can decide to make a mandatory tutorial about the core game design rues and notifications for the people who are newcomers and don't PTFO. Even that wouldn't be enough because, no, the game isn't just going to the big circles. That's why people have trouble learning the rules, it's complex and you can get lost (I know it, it happened when I started with BFBC2)

Look at this reddit post with tips for noobshttps://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_one/comments/59nio6/how_to_not_be_a_casual_battlefield_tips/
Is it just walking towards circles ? Don't think so.

It's not about playing the right way, it's about playing what the mode you chose to play. People ruining your experience with the game because of their incompetence is a legit criticism. You don't need to spend hours familiarizing yourself with the game, or be a BF veteran, to walk towards the large circles with letters in them...

The quicker people fuck off to CoD and Titanfall, the better.

That's no criticism, that's in the best case a complaint, worst case just whining. Nothing constructive.

Also you cut my message in half, the two paragraphs work together.

Oh please, welcome to what the Overwatch OT was like for the past five months.

If we could avoid that. I mean even Reddit is more constructive (see the live above) and less painful to read (even though you still have people complaining about medics, squad leaders, scouts or any bad teammate or enemy)

People who discover the game today don't have the knowledge you all accumulated throughout the beta + the early access + one week since launch.

Damn this thread is slowly becoming whining about how your last game was ruined because of other people. I'm waiting until two gaffers who played in the same team criticise how the other one didn't know how to play the right way.

I rather have a more positive community vibe :(

In fairness to the whining, a lot of the complaints in multiplayer games usually tends to be about basic concepts of forward movement and objective play. Not mechanical competence.

To use my Overwatch example, there are definitely complaints about teammates sucking. But for a long time the basic complaint was about teammates not getting on the objective, especially at the end of rounds to push you into Overtime. My complaints so far with Battlefield are roughly the same. Try to die less sure, but I don't mind people getting used to discovering sniping lanes and adjusting to the kick of guns. What I do mind, and will forever mind, is players not PTFO.

It’s whatever for the most part. There are 31 other players on your team. Some of them are going to be good and others not so much. Some are going to care about winning and others will only care about their k/d. There's nothing you can do about it. You just play your game. Yes, it’s annoying when like 13 are scouts, but hey what can you do about it? Nothing. Also if you play in a full squad that'll increase you odds drastically. One good squad can easily win a game.

Daffy Duck

95% sure I was in that match on Suez. People were telling him to move and saying he was trolling. I was in one of the guns on the train trying to do something but it was impossible.

I think I have done it once, twice at most since the beta, but I'll play how I want thanks. Couldn't give a shit if you lose because on the rare occasion when I'm too tired to push points I choose to do something lazy in a game I paid just as much as you for.

Really couldn't care less about K/D either.

I jumped to the train because of the enemy were all over c and I was just killing them and suppressing them for the others. I was laughing away to myself at how shit the driver was.

Hmm, I played a similar Suez conquest match yesterday evening/night where all our 3 flags were taken and our train guy didn't move the train. It was EU server too. Maybe we all 3 played on the same server :D.

At start of the match my team took every flag. Then few mins later enemy took all flags back and started spawn killing us, it was total spawn kill fest nonstop until match ended.

Hahahaha amazing, that's exactly how my game went! We must have all been there, yep at the start we took every flag there was, after they took all the flags they just gave up and became useless.

Amazing we were all there.

Calcium

Banned
I can't make up my mind on getting this game. All the streams/videos I've watched the people playing seem to be having fun, but at the same time they get really, really frustrated with the game. Seems to be pretty common around here as well.

I really want to like this game but the Behemoth (big zepplin) really ruin it for me.

Why do a group of players get to sit in the sky and spawn kill / spawn trap people for ages? It really ruins some of the operations gameplay as the Behemoth can utterly destroy all of the cover surrounding an objective, and kill anyone that gets near it.

I had a game yesterday where I finished 53/17 with 9 deaths to the Behemoth. More than half! What nonsense is this? Am I doing something wrong? It seems like the anti-air defences aren't available until the later objectives and in either case the Behemoth still gets to kill perhaps 20 people before it's taken out?

The train isn't so bad because it's limited by its field of view but the Zeppelin can cover the entire field. I've had matches where I spend 3 minutes running around healing myself from its damage only for it to kill me anyway. Matches where it kills me within 3 seconds of spawning in.

Unless I'm missing something here this seems like really awful game design. I get that Dice want to add spectacle to their experiences, and they also want to make bad players feel good, in spite of being bad, but this isn't the way to do it. I quit out of my last game because I just wasn't having any fun. I can't get in any infantry encounters with that thing shooting at me all day, and it's not much fun to run around being shot at by something I can do nothing about.

Lol. Monte Grappa's fort in Operations

Managed to drop in on a plane in our second wave and I was the only one there. We got it immediately and pushed to second map.

Would be swell if we got an extra battalion for Making it this far

Attackers really need a +1 for every new map they push

Does anyone know if it's possible to play in windowed mode with the window locked at the resolution you set in game?

I am trying to record footage, but I use a 3440x1440 (21:9) monitor, which causes problems recording at youtube resolutions. If you set fullscreen and 2560x1440 in most games, it shows black bars on the sides and records like normal. In BF1 it stretches the image to fit the screen, and again messes up the recording. If you go into windowed mode, it won't default to the set resolution. It opens in a tiny window and runs whatever resolution you drag the window to. So I have guess to where 2560x1440 would be and it's nearly impossible.

Not sure if there's a workaround for this, but it'd be greatly appreciated.

I really want to like this game but the Behemoth (big zepplin) really ruin it for me.

Why do a group of players get to sit in the sky and spawn kill / spawn trap people for ages? It really ruins some of the operations gameplay as the Behemoth can utterly destroy all of the cover surrounding an objective, and kill anyone that gets near it.

I had a game yesterday where I finished 53/17 with 9 deaths to the Behemoth. More than half! What nonsense is this? Am I doing something wrong? It seems like the anti-air defences aren't available until the later objectives and in either case the Behemoth still gets to kill perhaps 20 people before it's taken out?

The train isn't so bad because it's limited by its field of view but the Behemoth can cover the entire field. I've had matches where I spend 3 minutes running around healing myself from its damage only for it to kill me anyway. Matches where it kills me within 3 seconds of spawning in.

Unless I'm missing something here this seems like really awful game design. I get that Dice want to add spectacle to their experiences, and they also want to make bad players feel good, in spite of being bad, but this isn't the way to do it. I quit out of my last game because I just wasn't having any fun. I can't get in any infantry encounters with that thing shooting at me all day, and it's not much fun to run around being shot at by something I can do nothing about.

The problems you're having with the behemoths are more at fault with your team than the airship itself. If two people jump on stationary AA canons and another person hops on an artillery truck the behemoth gets eaten up insanely fast. If you add planes to the mix they dont last very long at all. People just don't want to sit on an AA canon when they could be doing whatever else. I've had several matches where the airship barely gets damaged or doesn't get damaged at all.

I've noticed that rather than trying to find AA canons in the sectors you're actively defending spawn on the permanent spawn point instead and there's usually AA canons nearby to use.

But no amount of complaining here or anywhere will make scrubs better. BF is a popular series, and these players are here to stay. Best to just roll with it and just have fun as possible or run with some homies.

Not to say that DICE could do better explaining and teaching mechanics to noobies though

I agree, and I think another good way to try and get people to play the objective is to massively increase the amount of points you get for capturing objectives, healing/reviving/repairing, taking out behemoths, etc, to the point where it's just too good of an offer to refuse.

In other news, I just had an amazing couple of games with a great squad/team on Conquer Hell Operations. I was constantly being revived, we took out the train in no time, captured bases even quicker. It was just awesome, the game is so much better when people play it like this.

vixlar

I agree, and I think another good way to try and get people to play the objective is to massively increase the amount of points you get for capturing objectives, healing/reviving/repairing, taking out behemoths, etc, to the point where it's just too good of an offer to refuse.

In other news, I just had an amazing couple of games with a great squad/team on Conquer Hell Operations. I was constantly being revived, we took out the train in no time, captured bases even quicker. It was just awesome, the game is so much better when people play it like this.

But is better when both teams play like that. When you are with your heart pumping a lot, yelling on excitement, explosions everywhere, soldiers and shots coming from everywhere, and at the end, even if your team lose, you get that smile in your face.

The problems you're having with the behemoths are more at fault with your team than the airship itself. If two people jump on stationary AA canons and another person hops on an artillery truck the behemoth gets eaten up insanely fast. If you add planes to the mix they dont last very long at all. People just don't want to sit on an AA canon when they could be doing whatever else. I've had several matches where the airship barely gets damaged or doesn't get damaged at all.

I've noticed that rather than trying to find AA canons in the sectors you're actively defending spawn on the permanent spawn point instead and there's usually AA canons nearby to use.

Yeah, if a couple people dedicate to taking down the Airship it goes down very quick.

It also depends how good the Airship gunners are.. sometimes people just fire willy nilly and don't do much for their team, other times they work as a team and can lay waste to whole teams. It's just another aspect of the game.

There are also inside capture points where you can get away from the airship most times, or they're spread out enough where it's not great for hitting both.

And also you can run 'backwards' in operations as the defender.. there are usually AA cannons back there that can still reach the Airship if it's pushing forward.

But is better when both teams play like that. When you are with your heart pumping a lot, yelling on excitement, explosions everywhere, soldiers and shots coming from everywhere, and at the end, even if your team lose, you get that smile in your face.

Yup, if there's one thing this game does well it's getting you hyped as fuck. That commander whistle!

And we weren't just steam-rolling a bunch of incompetents either, they were actively trying. We were just better. Lol.

Hjod

Banned
Haha, very nice. Is it not possible to detonate your own AT mines by shooting them?

Couldn't you have grenaded them or just shot them yourself and achieved the same result without dying?
EDIT: Saw you had no nades so strike that part

I don't think you can detonate them with regular bullets. I put them in front so he would explode if he moved. But he'd been camping the whole match.

I was all out of nades, otherwise I would have naded him :).

I do love the "Go Go Go!" Whistle as a squad leader :3

It's the best!

I also am in love with the artillery truck.. man that thing is bad-ass. I love hauling ass around the map capturing flags (On Conquest) and then taking pot shots at people. It even takes down tanks.. and is fast as hell (for 1918).

Jb

I wonder what would happen to all horse love if devs reduced sword's hitbox to actual size of sword and didn't allow it slash through geometry. Also made it so that if you wanted to run over someone you would need to, you know, run over someone. Now you can miss by few meters and still kill.

They've tightened up the hitboxes of both the sword and the horse itself a lot since the beta. I don't think you can miss dudes by a few meters and still get a kill now..

Surfinn

Yeah it's annoying to be a bad team and multiplayer games are annoying because real people are involved in them and do shit.

Now get over this, there's nothing you can do about it unless you're a DICE developer that can decide to make a mandatory tutorial about the core game design rues and notifications for the people who are newcomers and don't PTFO. Even that wouldn't be enough because, no, the game isn't just going to the big circles. That's why people have trouble learning the rules, it's complex and you can get lost (I know it, it happened when I started with BFBC2)

Look at this reddit post with tips for noobshttps://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_one/comments/59nio6/how_to_not_be_a_casual_battlefield_tips/
Is it just walking towards circles ? Don't think so.

Wow you completely missed my point. I'm talking about high level players who know what they're doing and CHOOSE to selfishly farm kills and beef K/D instead of playing objectives/helping the team. It has nothing to do with new players and tutorials. I don't have any beef with people learning the game. Someone just on the last page literally admitted to doing this (farming kills at the expense of the team/other's experiences).

Yeah it sucks, but it's a strange thing to sit there and say "get over it" in the face of legitimate concerns. Not like I'm here freaking out saying "OMG this game sucks it's so trash".. just pointing out a valid issue that I've seen in the game thus far. There's nothing wrong with that.

This is different from BF3/4 because there were so many ways to do well in that game that didn't rely on one or two big vehicles that turn the entire course of the game, so those selfish decisions now more drastically impact the game and other player's experiences.

Tovarisc

They've tightened up the hitboxes of both the sword and the horse itself a lot since the beta. I don't think you can miss dudes by a few meters and still get a kill now..

You can and do still die to horse running past you. Annoying.

I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying the war pigeons mode, it's complete chaos but since everything is chaotic, you don't get nearly as bummed out when your team does something stupid. The rush towards a pigeon or pigeon carrier can get pretty crazy for just 24 people.

Surfinn

Anybody know how people regain AT rockets so fast? Does resupplying provide them really quickly or something? I had a dude prone and kill me with like at least 5-7 shots in what seemed like no time in between.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Anybody know how people regain AT rockets so fast? Does resupplying provide them really quickly or something? I had a dude prone and kill me with like at least 5-7 shots in what seemed like no time in between.

I mean, if he has an ammo crate right next to him and you are respawning...that is plenty of time.

Surfinn

I mean, if he has an ammo crate right next to him and you are respawning...that is plenty of time.

I was in a tank. Healed a bunch of times and was wondering how this dude was hitting me like a tank across the map. Didn't seem like there was any downtime between his reloads.

New skins.

iJ4HzUg.jpg

GN0KwuU.jpg

68ZAAM1.jpg

Ah, thank goodness. I just got the Arditi last night, rounding out my collection of Legendary skins.

Surfinn

Are you sure it was just one dude?

Yes, I saw his rockets hit me from a prone position.. he was inside of some smoke and it was difficult to see clear enough to get a solid shot on him, but he was clearly shooting AT rockets over and over. Other people were shooting at me too (from the same direction) but I could see him firing over and over (same guy I had marked).

I've seen this happen on other maps too.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Excellent video on why the game desperately needs Classic Mode, and more teamwork as a whole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjbh248x_kA

Didn't watch the whole video, just the part where he talks about the state of the franchise, but he is absolutely correct. Classic mode in BF4 came too late to have much of an impact, and it is disappointing that BF1 wasn't built with such a preset or mode in mind from the beginning.

Behemoths make Operations pretty garbage if you win the first round.

Not hard to take out. Id say it's harder for Attackers because they just dont have enough tickets.

Yes, I saw his rockets hit me from a prone position.. he was inside of some smoke and it was difficult to see clear enough to get a solid shot on him, but he was clearly shooting AT rockets over and over. Other people were shooting at me too (from the same direction) but I could see him firing over and over (same guy I had marked).

I've seen this happen on other maps too.

Probably getting ammo from a pouch. Not hard to get 2-3 extra rockets as he's firing the initial rounds

I'm really enjoying this game, but man I suck. It's so hard for me to wrap my head around where to expect enemy teams to spawn in, as I'm always getting shot out of nowhere. Is there a good written/video intro to learning the ins and outs of this game? I've never really played Battlefield before.

Top Bottom