• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

*Splinter

The shotguns have less range in BF1. First of all Flechette is not in. Only Buckshot. So that limits range already.
But still can go through some objects like a Flechette round. Also the drop off damage starts arround 5 meters earlier compared to BF4. But like i said the hipfire is greatly improved over BF4. Like 50% better. So that makes up for the less range compared to BF4. Wich is great imo and more in line in how a shotgun should work. Less range better hipfire.
I haven't tried it yet, but isn't there a slug shotgun with better range?

*Splinter

Guarding an objective on operations inside a building.

Flamethrower guy walks in

image.jpg
That's what the bayonet is for!

Or just drop to prone, you'll die but it actually takes a while so you can get some decent damage in. I was able to defuse a rush objective in prone even though a flamethrower started grilling me half way through (which won us the game :D)

I've put 23hrs (PC) online and have had zero disconnects/server issues. Am I alone? I find this amazing given how bad BF4 was ( which I have never played).

In regards to how much time it takes to rank up the classes, BF2 was even worse. At the time I was playing it for around four or five hours a day and remember some of the stat websites would give you an estimate on how long it would take you to reach certain levels and unlocks based on time played and performance and some of mine were predicted to literally take me years of playing at that tempo to unlock certain guns.

I agree it should take less time.

KrisB

I've put 23hrs (PC) online and have had zero disconnects/server issues. Am I alone? I find this amazing given how bad BF4 was ( which I have never played).
Same and I have a very average connection.
It's amazing really that they've done such a good job.

That feeling you get when you bayonet charge someone and stab them in the stab and then one of their team-mates fucking disembowels you from behidn the moment the animation stops.

FUCK YOU SNEAKS THAT WAS MY MOMENT

When the squad is running on all cylinders.

BIRD UP

Daffy Duck

Right, Angry Joe touches on this in his review but what the fuck is up with player numbers in this game?

I jumped on last night (PS4) and looked at the server browser and in the UK I see loads of servers and pretty much most of them are dead! This is about 10:30pm at night, the most populated conquest server was 59/64 players and as the maps went on the player numbers dropped on the teams and after the third map there was about 15 players on each team, no one else joined the server......

What is going on here I thought this game would have a good population considering the so called player numbers.

Right, Angry Joe touches on this in his review but what the fuck is up with player numbers in this game?

I jumped on last night (PS4) and looked at the server browser and in the UK I see loads of servers and pretty much most of them are dead! This is about 10:30pm at night, the most populated conquest server was 59/64 players and as the maps went on the player numbers dropped on the teams and after the third map there was about 15 players on each team, no one else joined the server......

What is going on here I thought this game would have a good population considering the so called player numbers.

This might be why they make you search for a new operation after the current one is completed. So the numbers keep refreshing. Maybe in the other modes the servers just dwindle until you cancel out and re-search?

I jumped on last night and looked at the server browser and in the UK I see loads of servers and pretty much most of them are dead! This is about 10:30pm at night, the most populated conquest server was 59/64 players and as the maps went on the player numbers dropped on the teams and after the third map there was about 15 players on each team, no one else joined the server......

The browser seems to be fucked sometimes. I was playing all night last night in full European servers. At one point (at around 2am) it looked like there were no populated servers left, but I just went back out to the main menu and back into the server browser and refreshed a couple of times and three or four full servers finally appeared.

*Splinter

Change your filter to only show servers with 1-5 slots. You will get a browser full of 63/64 servers.

Otherwise you only see the first 100 it finds

I had my filter set to 'show all' and all I could see was empty servers, changed it to everything but 'show all' and now there are lots of servers with varying free slots.

Daffy Duck

This might be why they make you search for a new operation after the current one is completed. So the numbers keep refreshing. Maybe in the other modes the servers just dwindle until you cancel out and re-search?

The browser seems to be fucked sometimes. I was playing all night last night in full European servers. At one point (at around 2am) it looked like there were no populated servers left, but I just went back out to the main menu and back into the server browser and refreshed a couple of times and three or four full servers finally appeared.

Change your filter to only show servers with 1-5 slots. You will get a browser full of 63/64 servers.

Otherwise you only see the first 100 it finds

I had my filter set to 'show all' and all I could see was empty servers, changed it to everything but 'show all' and now there are lots of servers with varying free slots.

All interesting points, I do indeed a massive list of servers (all pretty much with 0/24 players etc) so I will look to tweak my browser filters and hopefully I get a few more full servers.

Yo Fuck that medal for 5 LMG headshots.

I went 14-3 in TDM and.... ZERO headshots. I was aiming at the head and saw bullets hitting the head, but still nothing.

Honestly I think trying to focus on completing medals is ruining my fun. I need to just ignore them and enjoy trying to win games.

I went 14-3 in TDM and.... ZERO headshots. I was aiming at the head and saw bullets hitting the head, but still nothing.

Honestly I think trying to focus on completing medals is ruining my fun. I need to just ignore them and enjoy trying to win games.
LMG headshots was a piece of cake.

How am I supposed to get 5 revolver kills in one life? WTF.

chiliboy

People keep killing me when I do that. They're being particularly unhelpful I have to say.

I did it by using No 3 revolver, and playing TDM. Find a good position in the middle of the map, and camp :) I know its not fun but it worked fine. People love to run past stuff in TDM, and if they are unaware you are hiding you can easily pick them off. good luck!

DICE need to force people into squads. How difficult would it be to also prompt the Leader to give an order? First thing I do whenever I join a server is switch between them to find one that is actually doing something.

DICE need to force people into squads. How difficult would it be to also prompt the Leader to give an order? First thing I do whenever I join a server is switch between them to find one that is actually doing something.
You can ask the squad leader to give an order.

R1 down is [Request Order] if you aren't leader.

Problem is leaders who don't give orders ignore that. I admit sometimes in the heat of battle I forget but I do sometimes have people who make the request and I give the order.

chiliboy

It took me over two hours just to go from 59 to 60. These later ranks are going to be brutal.

I've put a few hours into Assault and I'm not even Lv2 yet. What am I not doing?

I think they should go back to how it was pre patch, its better if everyone has access to all of the tools :)

on the other hand, maybe they want you do play it a long time and have something to work for? I don't know what Dice is thinking with this rate of exp..

Squad leaders not giving orders are the worst, it's just leaving XP on the table, and can absolutely turn the tides in Operations mode. They can't add a boot shit squad leader feature soon enough.

I've put a few hours into Assault and I'm not even Lv2 yet. What am I not doing?

Assault is my highest class; I have about a 800k score with it. I pretty much used the MP 18 Trench until I got the Automatico M1918 Trench. You use the Trench for the hipfire, you pretty much never have to ADS with the Trench in CQC, even at medium range you can get away with it. Once you get to level 10 definitely get the Hellriegel. For the load out I use the AT nades and rockets. Pretty much go after vehicles every chance you get, play the objective, and also try to force CQC battles since that’s what assault is good at.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fao Fortress is such a fucking shitty map.

Mugenjin

Squad leaders not giving orders are the worst, it's just leaving XP on the table, and can absolutely turn the tides in Operations mode. They can't add a boot shit squad leader feature soon enough.

At the same time it is infuriating if you're trying to be a good squad leader and constantly give orders to back cap flags to break a stalemate/try a comeback/promote general squad play and then you have 4 scouts in your team sniping from base or doing random fuck all. Yes I know I can kick them but it will fill up with the same amount of useless scouts as there are squad leaders not giving an order.

KAOz

Short bus special
Jumped in for the first time last night.
Battlefield-veteran since the first one.

And goddaymn did I get wrecked constantly.

Any good tips? Focusing on Support to begin with.

Also, holy shit is Operations amazing. Good combo of Rush and Conquest.

Do different countries have different medals each week? I've got every medal they have offered but none of them had the requests you mention?

chiliboy

Jumped in for the first time last night.
Battlefield-veteran since the first one.

And goddaymn did I get wrecked constantly.

Any good tips? Focusing on Support to begin with.

Also, holy shit is Operations amazing. Good combo of Rush and Conquest.

Stick to your squad, slow down and start with medic / assault. Learn the maps, dont rush out in the open too much. Lots of snipers in this game, try to flank a lot :) Good luck!

if you are on PC and EU, add me on origin: steelchiliboy

KAOz

Short bus special
Stick to your squad, slow down and start with medic / assault. Learn the maps, dont rush out in the open too much. Lots of snipers in this game, try to flank a lot :) Good luck!

if you are on PC and EU, add me on origin: steelchiliboy

PS4. And yeah, squads are hard to stick to since... well.. randoms. Shitty leaders and flailing assholes.
Medic and Assault huh? Why these two if I may ask?

They are the most useful atm. Support weapons are pretty bad. I mean they're usable, but you're at a disadvantage. The only thing Support has going for them are the ammo crates and the mortar. I use the mortar more than my gun. Scout is well scout. Most people just snipe and don't even bother with the flares or even trying to play the objectives.

So for the most part, Medic or Assault are the staples atm. They have good weapons and they actually make a difference on the battefield.

aravuus

At the same time it is infuriating if you're trying to be a good squad leader and constantly give orders to back cap flags to break a stalemate/try a comeback/promote general squad play and then you have 4 scouts in your team sniping from base or doing random fuck all. Yes I know I can kick them but it will fill up with the same amount of useless scouts as there are squad leaders not giving an order.

In these cases I just start giving idiot-proof defense orders - if nobody's doing shit either way, at least we'll get the 200 points for it every now and then.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Played my first operation on offense last night (Italian One) and we won it after only losing one battalion. So many clutch caps on that first map when we had <20 tickets left. Hell the last objective was capped with 0 tickets left. LOL.

Operations is the absolute best. I would recommend joining with some friends as it seems to put you in more full servers that way.

chiliboy

PS4. And yeah, squads are hard to stick to since... well.. randoms. Shitty leaders and flailing assholes.

Yeah it is how it is. Try to communicate and do your best, that is all you can do.

Medic and Assault are solid at the moment, great impact on the bf and good weapons.
Automatico storm, hellreiger, 10-A hunter shotgun, selbstlader 1916 marksman, mandragon optical, m1907 sweeper - all good weapons :)

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I actually haven't had a problem with any of the maps. Then again, I can't think of a BF map I have ever disliked.

meshwork

Not really, no. Sinai belongs in garbage tier with those two.

If any map belongs in the "shitty 3" of BF1 maps it's certainly Argonne Forest, not Sinai. That map is so narrow it's literally impossible to flank C if that point has any number of enemies (CQ). Don't even get me started on trying to play Operations on that pos map. It pains me to say this as well because visually I love the map and there's nothing wrong with the individual points.

Top Bottom