• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Alright fellow pilots, what's the consensus on the bomber loadouts?

I found myself doing really well with the default, but wanted to try the Firestorm loadout. I sure get a lot of lingering damage on infantry, but it just seems objectively inferior to the default. After all, bombs will explode on roofs and still damage or kill those inside, while the fire will do nothing because it doesn't penetrate.

Man, I dunno what it is, but I am having the hardest time killing ANYONE these days. Not sure if it is lag or what, but even when I get the jump on them, I'll start shooting them, seemingly miss 85% of my shots, and they'll just turn around and kill me. Not sure what the problem is. I seem to have this problem in operations but not conquest.

It's okay, though, because I discovered mortars in operations. Yup, I am that guy. Mortaring people never gets old.
Man fuck mortar guys, I've made it my mission to fucking ruin your day as much as you ruin mine!

Theorry

Alright fellow pilots, what's the consensus on the bomber loadouts?

I found myself doing really well with the default, but wanted to try the Firestorm loadout. I sure get a lot of lingering damage on infantry, but it just seems objectively inferior to the default. After all, bombs will explode on roofs and still damage or kill those inside, while the fire will do nothing because it doesn't penetrate.

Default is better. Fire is more fun. Still can do good with tho.

Raptor

Wha... What?!

Is this a thing? Which rifle? Exclusive to Sniper class? Gamechanger if so : )

Oh yeah!!

14tmeQm4F6Y02A.gif

Glad to hear I'm not alone. BF4 was fine with the same try hard settings as I wrote but this game just has strange visibility at times :O Argonne forest is the worst offender for me, I cannot see shit at times. Dont get me started on the fog and storm effects.. god xD

Yep! I made a very similar post way back in this thread about not being able to see enemies, and Argonne Forest was the primary example I used. That map is so insanely detailed with so much foliage and such, people just blend in like crazy.

I definitely feel myself getting better at spotting people the more I play, but it's still an issue. I just wish it didn't give those pesky Scouts such a big advantage. Sometimes I'll swear there's no one there, then I'll move out and instantly die to someone I had clear line of sight to the entire time and who was just mid-range or maybe a little bit further away.

Tovarisc

I do, at mid range. It's shreds people even at mid range.

Naah at range burst fire is great.

Why is ADS with an SMG bad?

Can't say I've noticed any detriment to my doing so... I tank most people with it.

I found it more accurate to burst from hip with SMG's than from ADS. Maybe I'm weird *shrug*

Then I run Hellriegel now and that weapon is all about ADS turning it into shark with laser beams attached to its head.

Edit: With MP18 and Hell you can challenge, as in suppress and land 18dmg shots now and then, snipers at long range by 1 to 2 bullet tapping, Automatico less so

Wha... What?!

Is this a thing? Which rifle? Exclusive to Sniper class? Gamechanger if so : )

Oh yeah, it's great. Pretty sure all BF games since BC2 has this.

It's great to use Flares with them.

Speaking of which, I think flares should be destructible. Really easy to pop 2 in an area for constant coverage

Tovarisc

But you need to be the driver to apply the skin?

I imagine so as driver is considered to be owner of vehicle for other vehicles in the game.

Oh yeah, it's great. Pretty sure all BF games since BC2 has this.

It's great to use Flares with them.

Speaking of which, I think flares should be destructible. Really easy to pop 2 in an area for constant coverage

Yet scouts are super lazy to use their flares. Like medics and supports can't use their kits for shit. Amazing how hard it's for people to use tools that aren't direct damage, but supportive actions that benefits everyone.

On that note

I really do love the flares. There's just something really satisfying about using them.

Best scout gadget since the tracker in BC2

jeffc919

Got my first "hate mail" on PSN for stomping in the heavy tank...I'm actually surprised it took this long (I got one other in the beta too). Not sure what complainers like him want me to do differently. Not spawn in the tank? Someone else will just take it then. I play to win and the most effective way I've found for me to win in Conquest is to take the tank whenever I see one. For some reason I can almost always get one at the start of the match...either my game is loading faster than average for some reason or other people are just passing on the opportunity to spawn in the tank. I think more than 2/3 of my kills are in the tank. I agree it is OP and I'd actually like it to be a little less available but again I want to win and using the tank to aggressively capture/defend flags and deny the other team their tanks by destroying them is the formula that seems most effective in the game right now.

CHC

Only SMG you don't hipfire is Hellriegel. If you ADS with Automatico or MP18 then you are doing SMG wrong in BF1.

I've had some really good kills with the MP18 Optical from mid range, mostly against support and medics. Any closer and I just hip-spray, but the decent mid range kills are the main reason I stick with MP18 over Automatico. I had an Automatico phase but it's just too messy from more than like 20 yards.

Is DICE fucking serious about that revive bug where you put on the gas mask instead of getting out the revive thingy?
How is that still in the game? Its kinda ruining the medic for me.

terrible

Banned
I don't know why there are guns other than the BAR on support. They're all worthless.

Is DICE fucking serious about that revive bug where you put on the gas mask instead of getting out the revive thingy?
How is that still in the game. Its kinda ruining the medic for me.

I don't think it's a revive bug, I put my mask on by accident a lot with every class.

Dalibor68

Banned
Why the hell do I have to UNLOCK a non-scoped boltaction rifle first in a WW1 game? Jesus Christ.

Also have to say I'm quite disappointed in the graphics. While more or less well optimized the game didn't wow me as I expected. Maps like Monte Grappa have really boring/flat lighting, the rain effect seems bad and the Anti-Aliasing is either too blurry or too aliased.

And of course they didn't bother getting austrian voice-actors for the austro-hungarian troops and just took german voice-actors instead. So lazy.

terrible

Banned
I don't press the wrong button. I can even reproduce it relatively reliably. When I press right on the D-Pad the mask comes on instead of the revive thingy about every 3rd or 4th time.

I don't feel like I'm pressing up either and I don't think I can recall ever doing that in a game before this either.

It is happening with every class as far as I can tell though. Just a moment ago I died putting my mask on when I was just trying to toss ammo.

When I was playing the EA Access version I thought it was my controller but I'm playing on PS4 now and it's still happening.

Dalibor68

Banned
Quoting this one for posterity. Thanks GAF.

I don't see what's so funny about it. TAA makes it blurry and with no AA there's jaggies everywhere and as I said the mountain maps have flat lighting, the rain effects make everything look greyish and flat lighting as well. The surfaces (rubble in the prologue, stonewalls in the mountain maps) look nice and detailed but that in the end doesn't help either when there's a vaseline filter smeared on top.

I don't see what's so funny about it. TAA makes it blurry and with no AA there's jaggies everywhere and as I said the mountain maps have flat lighting, the rain effects make everything look greyish and flat lighting as well. The surfaces (rubble in the prologue, stonewalls in the mountain maps) look nice and detailed but that in the end doesn't help either when there's a vaseline filter smeared on top.

Weather isn't set on a per map basis, its all dynamic. Diffused lighting from cloudy or rainy weather will of course look flatter than sunny skies. Fog especially on that map is really striking.

Hobbes211

How is that still in the game? Its kinda ruining the medic for me.

I'm max rank as a medic (on PC) and have literally never had this happen. The biggest revive problem I've had with friends is that people revive and their guns aren't usable until they swap to a sidearm and back again.

Tovarisc

Has spotting been nerfed? I remember being able to spot practically anything with R1 in Battlefield 4 but here it seems like there's either a delay or it didn't work?

Best wishes.

Tovarisc

Has spotting been nerfed? I remember being able to spot practically anything with R1 in Battlefield 4 but here it seems like there's either a delay or it didn't work?

Best wishes.

You can spot sniper from across a map without actually really seeing him because he is in prone. As long you have line of sight, aim in general area and hit spot key you should spot people in cone in front of you. Cone is somewhat smaller than it was in BF4, but spotting is still very powerful and cheap tool.

Cmagus

So how is the PS4 version? Does it run well and how are things like lag and such online? I'm just curious because I've held off after the BF4 launch and I'm interested in this but not if it's got issues right now.

Orcus

Anyone have a spot on the map appear where you and your teammates automatically die? Long after shooting down the blimp above the trenches of Ballroom Blitz, there was one area of the trench near where it fell that would cause any player on my team to instantly die with "Killed in Action" as the reason. There was no visual indicator of any kind such as wreckage, gas, smoke, fire, etc. It also happened to be on the main route from the defender spawn to objective B, so it seemed to give the attackers quite an advantage.
Yes, I've run into this twice. Each time it was on Ballroom Blitz in Operations after the zepplin crashed. One of my buddies who was on the same map said it was actually there before it crashed, but I didn't experience that.

Orcus

You can spot sniper from across a map without actually really seeing him because he is in prone. As long you have line of sight, aim in general area and hit spot key you should spot people in cone in front of you. Cone is somewhat smaller than it was in BF4, but spotting is still very powerful and cheap tool.
Yes, sometimes, but you can also be right on sometime and not have it spot as well. I'm 90% sure there is a new spotting mechanic that range limits you based on weapon or class in addition to the spot cool down mechanic. It's either that or there is a bug with three mechanic. It needs to fixed or clarified so it can be evaluated properly.

Tovarisc

Yes, sometimes, but you can also be right on sometime and not have it spot as well. I'm 90% sure there is a new spotting mechanic that range limits you based on weapon or class in addition to the spot cool down mechanic. It's either that or there is a bug with three mechanic. It needs to fixed or clarified so it can be evaluated properly.

Yesterday I ended up spotting scout that I couldn't see at all [proned in grass from my POV] about 100m out as assault. Doesn't mean there isn't possible glitches with feature, but really highlighted to me how cheap tool spotting still is.

Top Bottom