• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Pre-ordered the day 1 edition on PC. Battlefield 4 was pretty forgettable for me and I feel like I really haven't been hooked on a Battlefield game since 2. I really liked the beta here though so I hope this is the installment to get me back to that.

ultrazilla

So fellow NeoGAF BF enlisted,

I'm torn. I had a ton of fun with BF 4 on PS4 and the servers are always active.

I've still got 9 hours of trial time on the PC version to get me through until Friday(not paying $20 to play it three days early with some extra skins...no thanks).

The game runs remarkably well @1080p on my dated PC: i5-3330, 64 bit OS, 8 gig ram and Nvidia Asus 970 Super clocked.

I'm leaning towards buying the PS4 version as it's basically accomplishing what my dated PC is doing now with the game: 60fps at 1080p and I think the PS4 servers/fan base will be a lot bigger than the PC player base.

I looked around for updated BF1 PS4 gameplay and couldn't find anything newer than 3 months. Anyone have updated video?

What would you recommend? Double dipping for me right now is out of the question.

Any thoughts or input would be welcome and appreciated! :)

renzolama

Why do major companies continue to allow immature employees to man a global forum like twitter during stressful periods. It doesn't matter how annoying the customers are (and we all know how horrifying upset gamers can be), if you ever stoop to their level even once you should not be allowed to continue in that position.

Edit: Immature may be the wrong term here, rather employees who haven't been fully vetted in their ability to remain professional while withstanding a lot of harassment

Why do major companies continue to allow immature employees to man a global forum like twitter during stressful periods. It doesn't matter how annoying the customers are (and we all know how horrifying upset gamers can be), if you ever stoop to their level even once you should not be allowed to continue in that position.

Especially when it's the company who messed up. :/

I think that leading a market tend to ruin the support service. We see what happen with the PSN support service who blacklist users. On the other hand, Xbox service is great, they refund you without asking anything.

Carrot and stick.

The problem isn't the 3 hours. The problem is that it was advertised to release at midnight EST. I worked my day around knowing I wanted to be wide awake at midnight to play the shit out of BF1. Now........3am? But it was advertised for midnight.

So, someone somewhere fucked up. Either sony fucked up, which I doubt because they have never fucked up a timer and release of a game at midnight for me before, or EA took some money on the side and delayed it for 3 hours on PS4.

Which one is more likely to you guys. Someone should have to answer why I am wide awake at midnight to play BF4 yet it doesn't come out until 3am.

aka_bueno

Is there a GAF PC community list for this game? I kinda really want to get it, but then I don't if it's just gonna be randoms for me all day lol. All my buddies play on XB1 :(

So, I've been trying to see if I can download the Early Enlister content (a.k.a. Deluxe Edition content, according to the Xbox Store), but it says it doesn't release until the 20th. :(

The problem isn't the 3 hours. The problem is that it was advertised to release at midnight EST. I worked my day around knowing I wanted to be wide awake at midnight to play the shit out of BF1. Now........3am? But it was advertised for midnight.

So, someone somewhere fucked up. Either sony fucked up, which I doubt because they have never fucked up a timer and release of a game at midnight for me before, or Microsoft took some money on the side and delayed it for 3 hours on PS4.

Which one is more likely to you guys. Someone should have to answer why I am wide awake at midnight to play BF4 yet it doesn't come out until 3am.

The former is absolutely more likely (or EA/DICE's release submission stuff to PSN was not submitted correctly). MSFT did not pay EA to delay the release of the game on PS4 at the last minute for 3 hours. Come on.

The former is absolutely more likely. MSFT did not pay EA to delay the release of the game on PS4 at the last minute for 3 hours. Come on.

You talk like publishers don't do things like that....

Just weird that this has never happened before. Now? With a huge game that Microsoft bought to have rights for suddenly is releasing at 3am on PS4 and midnight on the other two platforms?

You also put "hours" in italics. 3 hours can absolutely push people with both platforms to just get it on XBOX instead because of the 3 hour delay. Not saying Microsoft paid millions, but this is pretty fucking weird.

MattyG

Banned

Just weird that this has never happened before. Now? With a huge game that Microsoft bought to have rights for suddenly is releasing at 3am on PS4 and midnight on the other two platforms?

You also put "hours" in italics. 3 hours can absolutely push people with both platforms to just get it on XBOX instead because of the 3 hour delay. Not saying Microsoft paid millions, but this is pretty fucking weird.
I definitely remember Sony fucking up another timer recently. It's not like they've ever been the most organized when it comes to updating their storefront.

Simo

This has happened before. One example being the newest Deus Ex where it released midnight eastern for all platforms but PS4. It happens. The obvious issue here is that it was advertised as one time but Sony screwed it up since EA obviously don't control the timer on the store.

Where is the precedent for a platform holder to pay a publisher to delay the game on another platform...for 3 hours? If that has ever happened, I would be surprised.

I put hours in italics because the notion that someone paid for a 3 hour delay either at the last minute or for it to be falsely advertised until the last minute seems completely nuts.

This has happened before. One example being the newest Deus Ex where it released midnight eastern for all platforms but PS4. It happens. The obvious issue here is that it was advertised as one time but Sony screwed it up since EA obviously don't control the timer on the store.

I assume at some point the publisher inputs their release info for submission in the store, so it's probably possible it was an EA/DICE mistake, but I'd assume it's more likely a PSN issue.

Where is the precedent for a platform holder to pay a publisher to delay the game on another platform...for 3 hours? If that has ever happened, I would be surprised.

I put hours in italics because the notion that someone paid for a 3 hour delay either at the last minute or for it to be falsely advertised until the last minute seems completely nuts.

So Sony fucked it up, and should be held accountable for false advertisement?

I'm fine with that as well. Just think its less likely.

nikos

I'm really trying to like this game but, like most modern FPS games, I keep getting killed by snipers and/or from behind. I don't know if it's the map layout of these newer games or what, but it's really frustrating. The campaign alone is probably worth the money though, if anything.

Nameless

If you were encouraged by Sinai Desert, which is overall one of the worst maps in the game, then you will love maps like St. Quentin Scar and Amiens.

It was pretty basic, but the flag placement was solid and kept the action flowing. Vanilla BF4 Conquest was too skewed towards vehicle encounters in wide open spaces. Which meant lots of hiking for infantry players...so much hiking.

So, someone somewhere fucked up. Either sony fucked up, which I doubt because they have never fucked up a timer and release of a game at midnight for me before, or EA took some money on the side and delayed it for 3 hours on PS4.

Sony is blaiming EA and EA is blaiming Sony. There is mass confusion and chaos on EAs twitter right now. I am just going with the timer now even though its off 3 hours.

I feel like the challenges/missions or whatever they are called should give more XP. 1000 per step doesn't really mean a whole lot and unless the tasks complement your existing playstyle you probably get more by just ignoring it and playing normally.

Does get you to try other weapons though at least, I guess.

DeaDPo0L84

Yes, there is an error. The game is launching at midnight EST on PC and XBOX. Launching at 3am on PS4 even though it was advertised for midnight EST.

well thats really a shame. Was really excited cause my purchase receipt said to expect to play at 9pm =(. Off to bed it is.

It was pretty basic, but the flag placement was solid and kept the action flowing. Vanilla BF4 Conquest was too skewed towards vehicle encounters in wide open spaces. Which meant lots of hiking for infantry players...so much hiking.
To answer your question, I would say that my early impression is that bf1 is more infantry focused in general than bf4.

That's not to say the scale of conquest isn't still large maps with their fair share of ground and air vehicle combat though.

Just booted up the PS4 to get ready... game doesnt unlock till 03 EDT. What the fuck. Should have went to sleep.

-EDIT-
Should have done some readin before postin!!

Top Bottom