• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

kendrid

Banned
The PC community has been great so far. I have yet to see or hear anything blatantly offensive. People with mics have been friendly and helpful.

The Gears 4 PC community on the other hand is horrible. "QUIT THE GAME! YOU SUCK SO BAD YOU NEED TO QUIT RIGHT NOW!". That is what I heard in my first match after having not played Gears on PC ever. I had to mute all to enjoy the game.

FF was on on all early Battlefield games. Go play them again.

You know what, you're exactly right. I could've swore none of the Battlefield games had it, but after playing 1942 on Origin (still have it as part of that free giveaway they did) it is indeed there. After doing a small bit of research, it looks like it was also in Vietnam, 2, and 2142.

I have no idea how something like that slipped past me, especially as someone who's been a huge fan of the franchise since it first began. It's honestly a little embarrassing, but a mistake is a mistake and I totally own up to it and stand corrected. My apologies. :)

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think there is any spare capacity on PS4 for west/east coast US or UK - only South America, Asia and Oceania.

Yeah it always seemed full for me too. Thankfully the USA server is not too bad ping for me.

Fingers crossed it works for the 26th anyway

Confession time.

I was in the other team too (at one point). I was also in the party chat. I left the party chat quickly as I felt that was cheating being able to hear tactics of the other team (I never chat myself, got to keep quiet but it is good to hear the tactics).

I did end up on the winning team tho lol.

However, when I moved to the next map I had changed sides and was in squidges squad...

Court Marshall coming up I suspect ;)

Confession time.

I was in the other team too (at one point). I was also in the party chat. I left the party chat quickly as I felt that was cheating being able to hear tactics of the other team (I never chat myself, got to keep quiet but it is good to hear the tactics).

I did end up on the winning team tho lol.

However, when I moved to the next map I had changed sides and was in squidges squad...

Court Marshall coming up I suspect ;)

haha don't be silly mate. You joined so close to the end and to be fair there wasn't space in our team. I doubt you'd have had time to move earlier anyway.

When you "join session" it's random which side you get put. The point is you tried to switch over - as is suggested.

Marc

My 2cents since things seem a little heated.

I have not been able to get in games before but either waited in the queue, moved on or have joined the opposition team. When joining the opposite team, I have no real team so I am not bothered about the win/loss since that's 'only' fun. When joining the GAF team (and its definitely a team, everyone looking out for each other) I am having fun as well as trying my best for the win, for the good of the team. Adds more spice to the fun but its still pretty chilled out, no one having a go at each other and the team has rotated massively each time I have played other than the odd few organizing things (with their own time btw). Myself and Disagree Guy had several face-offs in that game before I had a chance to switch, we had a joke about being nemesis... no arguments or drama.

It seemed like there was intent to join the other team and be aggressively out to 'undermine' the GAF team. Which is fine in the sense of if you're not part of that team. Do your best, go nuts, let the best player win. But then why join a community to then want to play against it when there are plans to have team GAF fight it out against each other in events? Spaces aren't available, sucks, wait it out, create a new operation or join the opposition and take the first opportunity to switch teams. I have experienced all of those. I got a disconnect in the same game in question tonight, I joined back in a queue and then went back into the GAF team. Another person joined the opposition and switched at earliest convenience. No drama. Messages were sent asking to switch teams and notification when a space opened up.

You can argue the wording is too harsh in this regard, or that people are being overly sensitive to the wording but we're essentially having an argument over those two things and for what? The whole point is to be a community and work together so why snipe at each other? The operation stuff is for all that community to work together. And there are other modes (plan is Rush atm I believe) to have face off's within GAF.

As for personal stat padding, not bothered myself other than helping the team the best I can (and a little hopeful for a better K/D). Although I would argue we definitely played against teams in a few rounds rather than randoms as they were flanking and coming at points at the exact same time. Anyway, I play team death match inbetween which ruins any scores per minute, win stats and quite a few besides.

Not trying to speak for the community btw, not trying to have a go at anyone and hope things can calm down. Night all. :)

haha don't be silly mate. You joined so close to the end and to be fair there wasn't space in our team. I doubt you'd have had time to move earlier anyway.

When you "join session" it's random which side you get put. The point is you tried to switch over - as is suggested.

:)

And not good enough to do any serious damage!

Back for more tomorrow!

My 2cents since things seem a little heated.

I have not been able to get in games before but either waited in the queue, moved on or have joined the opposition team. When joining the opposite team, I have no real team so I am not bothered about the win/loss since that's 'only' fun. When joining the GAF team (and its definitely a team, everyone looking out for each other) I am having fun as well as trying my best for the win, for the good of the team. Adds more spice to the fun but its still pretty chilled out, no one having a go at each other and the team has rotated massively each time I have played other than the odd few organizing things (with their own time btw). Myself and Disagree Guy had several face-offs in that game before I had a chance to switch, we had a joke about being nemesis... no arguments or drama.

It seemed like there was intent to join the other team and be aggressively out to 'undermine' the GAF team. Which is fine in the sense of if you're not part of that team. Do your best, go nuts, let the best player win. But then why join a community to then want to play against it when there are plans to have team GAF fight it out against each other in events? Spaces aren't available, sucks, wait it out, create a new operation or join the opposition and take the first opportunity to switch teams. I have experienced all of those. I got a disconnect in the same game in question tonight, I joined back in a queue and then went back into the GAF team. Another person joined the opposition and switched at earliest convenience. No drama. Messages were sent asking to switch teams and notification when a space opened up.

You can argue the wording is too harsh in this regard, or that people are being overly sensitive to the wording but we're essentially having an argument over those two things and for what? The whole point is to be a community and work together so why snipe at each other? The operation stuff is for all that community to work together. And there are other modes (plan is Rush atm I believe) to have face off's within GAF.

As for personal stat padding, not bothered myself other than helping the team the best I can (and a little hopeful for a better K/D). Although I would argue we definitely played against teams in a few rounds rather than randoms as they were flanking and coming at points at the exact same time. Anyway, I play team death match inbetween which ruins any scores per minute, win stats and quite a few besides.

Not trying to speak for the community btw, not trying to have a go at anyone and hope things can calm down. Night all. :)

Absolutely bang on..couldn't have said it better myself.

:)

And not good enough to do any serious damage!

Back for more tomorrow!

You bet mate. Always welcome. You turncoat ;)

Can't believe dice actually made the quit function worse, even if I try to quit quickly after a match I get an infinite loading screen now. Technically the game is great but that and the sluggishness of the UI is awful.

Can't believe dice actually made the quit function worse, even if I try to quit quickly after a match I get an infinite loading screen now. Technically the game is great but that and the sluggishness of the UI is awful.

The game has to loads the next map before you "quit". Someone mention, don't remember where, it's a problem with the game engine itself. Take that with a gram of sodium.

The game has to loads the next map before you "quit". Someone mention, don't remember where, it's a problem with the game engine itself. Take that with a gram of sodium.

Well it surely can't be a design choice so hopefully it's sorted soon. Loading in general seems to be taking longer for me after the patch as well.

Orcus

Damage output is completely random as far as i can see.

Some times I one shot them with 100% dmg, the next I hit them with 73%dmg, zero headshots.
The Martini is like most sniper rifles in that it has a one hit kill zone from a specific range, often called the "sweet spot". So for it, a hit from 30-80 meters is always a one hit kill, which is about a 25% bigger range than other sniper rifles. It's also the closest sweet spot range. The other advantage the Martini has is that it does 90 damage up close for body shots, while most sniper rifles do 80 up close.

Besides those two advantages, it's inferior to in just about every other stat to the other sniper rifles, but bullet velocity is probably the biggest handicap it has.

For most of the sniper rifles a head shot is always a one shot kill from any distance.

Probably the best sniper rifle for an PTFO sniper is the SMLE, but the Martini just has a certain je ne sais quoi and is an absolute blast to play with at short to medium ranges on objectives.

The quit function not working would be bothersome to me but I feel it's just another factor in a list of things that game just doesn't do well.

I find BF1 to be a great game when your actually playing it. But the UI, the partying up with friends (or lack thereof), the inability to quit properly and so on just show that the feature set surrounding the game is lacking.

Hell, on PS4 the sheer amount of options are overwhelming for controls. And that's a negative for me when all I want to do is set my ADS sensitivity and non-ADS sensitivity to be the same. Ans eventually maybe set the sensitivity of everything I use to be the same.

But I took a couple of looks in those menus and nope'd out.

Orcus

The quit function not working would be bothersome to me but I feel it's just another factor in a list of things that game just doesn't do well.

I find BF1 to be a great game when your actually playing it. But the UI, the partying up with friends (or lack thereof), the inability to quit properly and so on just show that the feature set surrounding the game is lacking.

Hell, on PS4 the sheer amount of options are overwhelming for controls. And that's a negative for me when all I want to do is set my ADS sensitivity and non-ADS sensitivity to be the same. Ans eventually maybe set the sensitivity of everything I use to be the same.

But I took a couple of looks in those menus and nope'd out.
It's only two settings to get the sensitivity the same for ADS, four if you want your vehicles and turrets to have the same sensitivity. It sounds like you should also turn on universal soldier aiming.

I personally like their customization options, and appreciate how they hide most of the crazy options behind advanced menus. Otherwise I agree, their laggy menus, horrible quit time, and bugs with the party system suck a big elzar.

The crazy thing about DICE is that they're almost like a paradox: What they do in terms of the Frostbite engine is downright incredible. No engine that looks this good and has this much destruction has any right to perform as well as it does, yet somehow they pull it off every single time. Their audio is also godlike, every single time. And yet they also always, without fail, repeat the same amateurish mistakes game-in and game-out as though it's their very first rodeo.

Like not being able to chat between rounds because... well, who knows.

And not being able to properly quit between rounds, because... (see above).

And releasing a game in 2016 without any sort of customization outside of matches--something no respected triple-A developer would ever do.

And attempting to patch in that functionality, yet STILL managing fuck it up.

And even smaller things like deaths still being counted when your plane goes down during the Victory/Defeat screen. (How many times are they going to repeat this mistake? Are they just trolling us at this point? I'm pretty sure they are).

DICE simultaneously amazes and confounds me. No big developer is as talented and inept as they are.

terrible

Banned
And even smaller things like deaths still being counted when your plane goes down during the Victory/Defeat screen. (How many times are they going to repeat this mistake? Are they just trolling us at this point? I'm pretty sure they are)..

I can't count how many times I've killed myself with a grenade or stood on fire and burned myself to death because the game ended while I was in the middle of a battle. The death counts too. I think it's funny as hell though, doesn't bother me. How have they not fixed this yet, it's been like that since BF3 lol.

games...have changed. i never knew how complicated games were this decade. i remember playing battlefield bad company 1 with the basic guns and options and had a blast... i feel like having too much is a bad thing, for me at least. tried a round, and i realized how much of a time sink and learning curve there is to the damn game.... if only i had the time for it nowadays :(

anyone else with me? it's a damn shame because it's a gorgeous game... i wish i was a teenager in this era with time to kill haha.

i guess back to walking simulators and visual novels for me. :0

The Dude

Brutal when you're on a shit team. Because I don't wanna quit and I don't always wanna try to jump over, so I roll with it... 2 teams now absolutely fucking worthless, worthless peons who can't even get past the second sector on monte grappa

The Dude

games...have changed. i never knew how complicated games were this decade. i remember playing battlefield bad company 1 with the basic guns and options and had a blast... i feel like having too much is a bad thing, for me at least. tried a round, and i realized how much of a time sink and learning curve there is to the damn game.... if only i had the time for it nowadays :(

anyone else with me? it's a damn shame because it's a gorgeous game... i wish i was a teenager in this era with time to kill haha.

I hear ya but I don't know, I think time is time whether it's learning to play a game to get better or playing something easier. Like If you game an hour or two a night, then if that is a week or two of practice and learning it'll be worth it. But I mean every game requires time.

I'm 37 and married, and I get a little after work and nights from 10 to 11 or 12ish, and the learning curve took me a bit but I got it for the most part. You don't have to get nuts learning every in and out, just do something basic like be a medic, learn to use those guns which are great weapons and toss healing bags

I hear ya but I don't know, I think time is time whether it's learning to play a game to get better or playing something easier. Like If you game an hour or two a night, then if that is a week or two of practice and learning it'll be worth it. But I mean every game requires time.

I'm 37 and married, and I get a little after work and nights from 10 to 11 or 12ish, and the learning curve took me a bit but I got it for the most part. You don't have to get nuts learning every in and out, just do something basic like be a medic, learn to use those guns which are great weapons and toss healing bags

this is giving me a second thought after putting it on craigslist. haha, i'll try it out when i'm not feeling ill (maybe thats why i found the gameplay to be daunting)... and maybe it'll hook me. i just find the game's scale to be massive and so complex, it's throwing me off a little :0

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
If anyone else was having the problem where they couldn't go online at all, I ran across a solution online: Disable Direct X 12 in options. Works like a charm!

Just play with Disagree Guy. They never lose.

Thought I was the only one annoyed by his constant spamming on this thread.

Exactly the reason why I don't post or ask questions much in this thread, because it always gets buried in all the back slapping and "gg bro's".
Sometimes I feel I'm in a private chat instead of the OT.

Exactly the reason why I don't post or ask questions much in this thread, because it always gets buried in all the back slapping and "gg bro's".
Sometimes I feel I'm in a private chat instead of the OT.
Sorry you feel this way :/ IMO the same thing happen with destiny. I felt the xbone players felt outcasted. Same time I feel it's okay to do that as well.

But for real, feel free to post or ask questions :3 you are welcome here!

terrible

Banned
If you can't talk about the matches you play in here where else can you talk about them? Isn't this a thread for Battlefield 1?

This place sometimes, lol.

The PC community has been great so far. I have yet to see or hear anything blatantly offensive. People with mics have been friendly and helpful.

The Gears 4 PC community on the other hand is horrible. "QUIT THE GAME! YOU SUCK SO BAD YOU NEED TO QUIT RIGHT NOW!". That is what I heard in my first match after having not played Gears on PC ever. I had to mute all to enjoy the game.
Aside from all the swastika emblems, the antisemite names and holocaust deniers in the text chat, yeah, the PC community was pretty good so far in my playtime.

If you can't talk about the matches you play in here where else can you talk about them? Isn't this a thread for Battlefield 1?

This place sometimes, lol.

I know man. We've got nearly 150 people in the community on ps4 so a sizeable chunk of this thread. A side from recording our accomplishments we've also given advice and tips to so many people already.

It's always the same. Bruce Lee once said "from anything in life, take what you find useful and leave what you do not"

No need to try and put a dampener on it

to be fair the amount of support and people wishing to get involved has fair outweighed the negativity.

even with last night's drama we only lost one person and gained another 6 haha. That's what community is all about. Sharing good experiences

AlexBasch

I'm still trying to get used with how heavy the character feels. All while geting bumrushed by the other team.

Are you having trouble with spawn killing? I swear I kept showing up in front of some sniper in a tower and he was just picking off targets. :/ Just started playing the game today.

chiliboy

I'm still trying to get used with how heavy the character feels. All while geting bumrushed by the other team.

Are you having trouble with spawn killing? I swear I kept showing up in front of some sniper in a tower and he was just picking off targets. :/ Just started playing the game today.

You on PC or PS4? The character feels lightweight and good on PC IMO.

Pretty common on Amiens for snipers just to watch enemy flags because its like each flag only has 5 spawn points. Spawn points seem to change when someone is capping it, forces you to spawn 20 metres from the flag.

Pretty lazy but smart design. Modern bf just loves rewarding those winning, spawns positions punish those losing.

Top Bottom