• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Xyber

I bought this game on Black Friday and loving this game so far!

One question though. Are all the explosions and stuff on the map caused solely by players or there are scripted events that makes you feel that war "feeling"?

Pretty much everything that goes on on the battlefield is caused by the players. Maybe there's a bit of background noise like explosions going off in the far distance, but there's not any scripted explosions going off on the battlefield to make it seem more hectic than it already is.

This is my first battlefield game since 1942. A couple quick observations on why I suck:

- I always have the wrong weapon for the occasion. If I go scout / medic I find myself defending a flag vs. rushing machine gunners. If I roll assault, sure enough it's going to be a snipe-fest.

- My aim needs work.. that is a given. I haven't played an FPS on console in years.

- I feel like there is almost never a defined front line in this game. Is this intended? It's so hard to create a personal cover. I'm always getting shot in the back even when I'm grouped with a significant number of teammates moving one direction.

Any quick tips for a noob? I enjoy medic the most so far but it's really hard for me to finish people off with rifles. I can usually land 3 shots, but that is never enough to finish anyone off. I like the 2 shot scout rifles, but this game seems so run and gun sometimes, I ended up in short range fights with a bad weapon for the job or against actual snipers who outrange me.

You playing on PC? If so, add me on Origin (same username as here). Playing this game with randoms is one of the worst things ever. You really need to be in a squad with people you know to get the best experience IMO.

The Dude

It is without a doubt the best shotgun though, unless they go overboard with the nerf it should just bring it back a bit more in line with the other shotguns.

No weapon should be so good that it's the go-to weapons for pretty much anyone who wants to use shotguns. The only people who don't use it are the ones who haven't unlocked it yet :p. I don't think I have died to any other shotgun in weeks.

A simple tweak could be a bit more damage drop-off at range, or larger pellet spread so you won't be hitting all pellets at longer ranges which leads to a lot of the one-hit-kills.

Well that's the thing, there will always be a top gun in categories. Like even when they Nerf the hunter, there will be the next shotgun that is considered the best. And the cycle sort of continues, so it's a tough situation.. Shotguns are one of those game guns that to me you can't do to much with. Closer quarter instant death is what they should be and that's about it

The Dude

It's like the level 10 sniper, seems from how people sort of go nuts about it that it's pretty much the go to sniper leaving the rest behind. Same with hellriegel, I don't think the other ARs really stuck up. So for me the hunter being top makes sense and was ok imho, as there will always be a top of every weapon

Xyber

It's like the level 10 sniper, seems from how people sort of go nuts about it that it's pretty much the go to sniper leaving the rest behind. Same with hellriegel, I don't think the other ARs really stuck up. So for me the hunter being top makes sense and was ok imho, as there will always be a top of every weapon

The sniper is good, for more close range combat. Which is good for the more aggressive snipers. But it also has huge downsides like no optic scope and very slow projectile speed, making it much less usable at longer ranges where other snipers like the Gewehr 98 shows its strength.

And while I like the Hellriegel, I still prefer the MP18 trench because of its much better hipfire accuracy.

I don't think either of those 2 guns are as superior to the other guns as the Hunter is.

And like you said, there will always be some weapon that is more favoured than others, but if the stats someone mentioned where correct (the Hunter making up 80% of shotgun kills), then it is clearly way to good compared to the rest of the shotguns.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
can they nerf fao fortress and by nerf i mean delete from the entire fucking game

The Flash

Banned
can they nerf fao fortress and by nerf i mean delete from the entire fucking game

And bring back Operation Metro! Yay!

giphy.gif

bosseye

Would be nice if I could throw dynamite a bit further. It sort of always lands at my feet. Half the time I get killed trying to get to a safe distance before detonating, or I blow myself skywards along with my intended target.

Sometimes this is intentional, I'm not above the odd bit of suicide bombing. Although I did a great accidental one, on Fao Fortress where I dropped a stick off the battlements and inadvertently fell off right after it and followed it right down to land in the middle of a group of 4 or 5 enemies. Detonated anyway. Kaboom.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The model 10 hunter is getting nerfed in this coming patch! Insider info via streamer, no bs.

Thank fuck. Every time I've played the game since the latest "patch" I've seen nothing but shotguns and remember why I haven't touched the game in a few weeks because of it.

So dumb to be mid-range ADS firing at a shotgun user only for them to one-pump and kill me.

Lol...just went 176-8 in a tank on Sinai Desert Operations. 40+ flag defends too. We still lost because the enemy team was aggressive as fuck. One of the best games I've had so far.

Theorry

Jeej hit level 90. But the funny thing is. I need to same ammount of points from 0 to 90 then for 90 to 100. lol.
So i am only halfway atm.

appaws

Banned
Hey I'd like to get in on some games with Gaffers, so I can use my headset and maybe have some actual teamwork. (PC)

Let me be frank though. I really suck, and I am not sure practice is going to make me get any better. I'm 42 and I think I have lost the hand/eye and mental acuity it takes to complete in multiplayer fps....I see people, they kill me before I kill them...

that said, I do work with people, help squad members, follow squad orders, give people ammo, etc. I'm not an asshat.

One of the most atrocious Conquest maps I have ever seen and pretty shit on every other mode too. Absolutely agree with you.

Also yay for the 10A nerf, about time, DICE should have done that a month ago.
Grabbing my popcorn for the Disagree Guy meltdown.

Mahonay

Banned
I use the Model 10A shotgun nearly exclusively right now because it's stopping power is so significantly stronger than any other weapon.

It absolutely needed a nerf.

Spat_triate

Fao isn't that bad, but I've noticed that the Arabian maps are a step down from the rest. Suez is pretty trash and Sinai is mediocre.
The desert maps do feel like they were designed by the "B" team. Suez and Fao fortress are really bad. Monte Grappa's bunkers need more ways of getting in but it's a fun map with all the verticality. Amiens and ballroom blitz are my favorites, some nice ebb and flow on those.

Meh, I don't notice that I get killed by the Model 10 than any other gun these days. If anything I get killed by snipers more than all the other classes put together. I'm trying to get a service star with every weapon so I've got kills with every gun, and while I did notice that the M-10 got me more kills quicker than the other shotguns, I don't think it needs a massive nerf. Maybe a couple of tweaks but I don't think people will notice a massive difference.

I'm level 10 on all classes except pilot and jockey and I don't think any gun is hugely OP. They are all situational and people who use the M-10 tend to stay out of open spaces and make proper use of them in close quarters. They get the occasional long shot kill but that can be fixed with a slight increase in buckshot spread. Maybe even a very small time increase between shots. But people who are proficient with the gun won't be affected too much.

I used to think the Martini Henry was OP but since I unlocked it I see how using it correctly takes some skill. If it had the same scope as the Gewher Carbine I'd never use another gun.

Suez does need another rehash though, the 5 in a line design for conquest is dumb as all hell. At least make it a cross pattern, or even a 4 point square pattern or something.

breadtruck

I use the Model 10A shotgun nearly exclusively right now because it's stopping power is so significantly stronger than any other weapon.

It absolutely needed a nerf.

Agreed.

I unlocked it simply because it was the weapon I was killed by 98% of the time. It was pretty obvious that the weapon was the go-to choice for cheap kills.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Model 10 hunter is super inconsistent for me. I never get 1 hit kills with it even in close quarters. And most of the time if i don't ads i don't even get two hit kills.

Tbh, i thought it was nerfed already.

Heilreiger isn't my jam either. It takes one to two more bullets to kill compared to the mp18 and that's just not good enough.

I'm really hoping the DLC maps don't have capture points in a straight line. Those maps are the worst.

Same. There are already too many like that. Even Monte Grappa can feel that way sometimes, even despite not actually being designed that way. I wish we had more truly non-linear maps like St. Quentin and even Amiens.

Alpende

The Model 10 hunter is super inconsistent for me. I never get 1 hit kills with it even in close quarters. And most of the time if i don't ads i don't even get two hit kills.

Heilreiger isn't my jam either. It takes one to two more bullets to kill compared to the mp18 and that's just not good enough.

If you're not getting 1 hit kills from close quarters then your shooting is off. Blast a guy full on and he definitely dies with 1 shot.

If the 10-a is getting nerfed they better buff the auto shotties. You can spam a whole clip at close range and have NOTHING hit. Not one pellet. It's nuts.

The desert maps do feel like they were designed by the "B" team. Suez and Fao fortress are really bad. Monte Grappa's bunkers need more ways of getting in but it's a fun map with all the verticality. Amiens and ballroom blitz are my favorites, some nice ebb and flow on those.

My favorites are the Northern France maps; the Italian maps are decent and the Arabian maps overall are pretty subpar by Conquest standards. They're all pretty fun in Operations.

Lol...just went 176-8 in a tank on Sinai Desert Operations. 40+ flag defends too. We still lost because the enemy team was aggressive as fuck. One of the best games I've had so far.
Probably one of the best games out of all platforms to be honest. Very good.
Jeej hit level 90. But the funny thing is. I need to same ammount of points from 0 to 90 then for 90 to 100. lol.
So i am only halfway atm.
Nice. I imagine it will feel like an eternity until you rank 100. I'm rank 84 and it takes 6 hours* to rank up. Too bad you play on X1, I'd roll with you in my squad.

*According to Battlefield 1. In reality it's like 4 with the way I play.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

There's a "spread" but generally the shotgun is inconsistent for me as well. The general idea is to shoot center of mass in close-quarters while hip-firing. Mid-range, you want to flick ADS to abuse the accuracy boost ADS gives you then fire right after your ADS is "up" while your lowering the gun in that flick maneuver to get around the spread deviation at range.

It's a dumb thing, though.

Lender

The scout class has so many good weapons man. The M95 Carbine is so damn awesome. Over 1000 kills with it now. Been using the Gewehr 98 sniper as my main sniper for ages now, but I've just recently switched to the m1903 sniper as well, and I like that one alot too.

The Gewehr 98 marksman is also very good when it comes to more mid range targets. Although it can easily do +200m headshots as well as shown below.

aLVU7k8.gif

The scout class has so many good weapons man. The M95 Carbine is so damn awesome. Over 1000 kills with it now. Been using the Gewehr 98 sniper as my main sniper for ages now, but I've just recently switched to the m1903 sniper as well, and I like that one alot too.

The Gewehr 98 marksman is also very good when it comes to more mid range targets. Although it can easily do +200m headshots as well as shown below.

http://i.imgur.com/aLVU7k8.gif

Jesus... they have seriously got to do something about the lack of bullet drop. The old system was way better.

Whats the 2nd best gun after the hunter? And whats is best to use when playing medic?

For Medic, I personally prefer the Selbstlader 1916 for mid-range and Sweeper for close-to-mid range. The Cel-Rigotti (starting rifle) can also be pretty decent in full-auto mode, but I still prefer the Sweeper since it has a larger magazine.

The thing about the Selbstlader that's so good is that it only takes 3 shots at most to kill people, and it has a whopping 26 bullets per magazine which is just ridiculous. The Mondragon is extremely similar, but it only has 10 bullets per magazine.

For Medic, I personally prefer the Selbstlader 1916 for mid-range and Sweeper for close-to-mid range. The Cel-Rigotti (starting rifle) can also be pretty decent in full-auto mode, but I still prefer the Sweeper since it has a larger magazine.

The thing about the Selbstlader that's so good is that it only takes 3 shots at most to kill people, and it has a whopping 26 bullets per magazine which is just ridiculous. The Mondragon is extremely similar, but it only has 10 bullets per magazine.
The optical one?

Top Bottom