• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

1fvm6l.jpg

The Dude

I can confirm the hellriegel is fine. Very little recoil, nothing to lose sleep over.

Also the ps4 performance seems a lot better, smooth as it was day 1 of the pro. So I'm really happy about that.

Can't tell if I got the update on XB1 or not. Giants shadow shows up as a selectable option in the server browser, but I was never prompted to download anything, nor do I see a single server with that map. I see no grenade crossbow when I look at soldier customization either. I bought the most expensive edition of the game and pre-ordered it, so I'm not sure if I'm not getting what I'm supposed to be getting content-wise or if the patch isn't up for me yet.

Theorry

Can't tell if I got the update on XB1 or not. Giants shadow shows up as a selectable option in the server browser, but I was never prompted to download anything, nor do I see a single server with that map. I see no grenade crossbow when I look at soldier customization either. I bought the most expensive edition of the game and pre-ordered it, so I'm not sure if I'm not getting what I'm supposed to be getting content-wise or if the patch isn't up for me yet.

They updated the servers already. The patch is not out yet for XB1.

I can confirm the hellriegel is fine. Very little recoil, nothing to lose sleep over.

Also the ps4 performance seems a lot better, smooth as it was day 1 of the pro. So I'm really happy about that.

What about visually?

Didn't we lose some visual clarity at one point? Is it back?

The Dude

What about visually?

Didn't we lose some visual clarity at one point? Is it back?

Well I didn't get extensive testing yet but things look and feel more like they did. From what I've seen it just feels and looks more like it did when the pro dropped and everyone was happy

Simple solution to that.

The shotty is easily trumped if you pick the right strategy. Lord knows I get capped over and over again by people who've got it down.

Yup. The problem is most people pile on top of each other when defending, instead of moving out and preventing players from storming them. So, what happens is a bunch of grenades and shotties go off everywhere and people get upset.

Well yeah. Try defending the position instead of just sitting in it.

Shotty players are easily stopped when you take up positions to prevent them from even getting to you. Too bad most people don't even have basic problem solving skills when playing lol

SMLE can be used as an aggressive sniper more than all the others imo

Camping at the back though..... Can't say I condone haha

Then again I'm a n00b shotty guy

Again, I agree. I just went 35-8 using the SMLE iron sight variant while storming into positions on Operations.

JDB

Banned
I still wish the sniper sweetspots would start at zero meters. With them starting at 30 meters or whatever I feel like it's too punishing for aggressive snipers. Also makes it harder to get a good feel of where you can get instant kills. Could probably make some snipers a bit too easy to use at short range, but I feel like it'd be fine for bolt-actions considering their slow rate of fire.

I still wish the sniper sweetspots would start at zero meters. With them starting at 30 meters or whatever I feel like it's too punishing for aggressive snipers. Also makes it harder to get a good feel of where you can get instant kills. Could probably make some snipers a bit too easy to use at short range, but I feel like it'd be fine for bolt-actions considering their slow rate of fire.

Yeah I mean a sniper round to the chest would kill you from whatever distance tbf. Again - if you get in that close and STILL get outgunned by a sniper - you deserve to get killed by it.

It should be more about skill rather than 'lol too close to OHKO'

meppi

So the Martini is pretty much worthless now unless you wanna lay on your belly somewhere on a rock?
Thanks again Dice, I should have known that I can count on you to fuck everything up in the end.
They got quite a lot of things right right at launch and with every patch it slowly seems to deteriorate. SMH

When it hits BF4 levels, I'll throw it on ebay.
So tired of this shit. :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
New map is too fucking open and flat and thus enters shit tier until I change my mind. Just gives me straight up Fao vibes. Massive stretches of coverless terrain between capture points.

EDIT: Man who the fuck is designing this shit? Logic: a stream of capture points laid out in generally linear fashion across a horizontally elongated map, a vast majority of ground between each capture point flat, open, and devoid of cover. What do you think is going to happen?
Majorly disappointed as a conquest map. My opinion might change but first impressions are sour as fuck. Gross.

EDIT: Actually A->B are okay due to being residential, and that's neat. But C->D->E are a mess.

meppi

New map is too fucking open and flat and thus enters shit tier until I change my mind. Just gives me straight up Fao vibes. Massive stretches of coverless terrain between capture points.

EDIT: Man who the fuck is designing this shit? Logic: a stream of capture points laid out in generally linear fashion across a horizontally elongated map, a vast majority of ground between each capture point flat, open, and devoid of cover. What do you think is going to happen?
Majorly disappointed as a conquest map. My opinion might change but first impressions are sour as fuck. Gross.

Jesus?!
And there I was thinking that we'd get a decent map for a change. Guess Dice Sweden is at it again.
Glad I haven't bought premium yet.
As things are going I'm not even going to bother with it.

EDIT: Actually A->B are okay due to being residential, and that's neat. But C->D->E are a mess.

god dammit, my biggest fear

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jesus?!
And there I was thinking that we'd get a decent map for a change. Guess Dice Sweden is at it again.
Glad I haven't bought premium yet.
As things are going I'm not even going to bother with it.

I tend to rage early, regret later lol. So I might end up liking it.

Seriously though, the linearity layout is such a fucking pisstake. DICE's conquest large map design at it's worst is abhorrent and I don't know why after years of working on this franchise they still don't get that much of the love for conquest comes from open ended capture point layout and the diversity of encounters and match flow it provides. As soon as the layout is bottlenecked the variety of match play plummets and it regresses to yet another boring tug of war. It's so fucking lame.

I hope it plays better in other modes.

EatChildren

To give an example, here's me standing at D, looking out across AB then turn around to see EF. C is the only offshoot down towards the side and I guess there to break up the map a bit (it's part of the large airship ruin).

bf12016-12-1323-00-404dsu1.jpg

That is basically the map flow though. CD, D in particular, are on raised terrain in the middle of the map. You've got clear shooting gallery combat moving down D to EF.

taoofjord

New map is awful in the same way most Battlefront maps are awful. Seriously, I'd rather they just remove the map then keep it in the rotation.

What's worse is there seems to be almost no new art assets. So it just feels like a remix of current maps. I sincerely hope they don't fuck up the season pass maps, but after this and Battlefront, I'm not too confident.

meppi

I tend to rage early, regret later lol. So I might end up liking it.

Seriously though, the linearity layout is such a fucking pisstake. DICE's conquest large map design at it's worst is abhorrent and I don't know why after years of working on this franchise they still don't get that much of the love for conquest comes from open ended capture point layout and the diversity of encounters and match flow it provides. As soon as the layout is bottlenecked the variety of match play plummets and it regresses to yet another boring tug of war. It's so fucking lame.

I hope it plays better in other modes.

That's the thing, after all these years, pretty much anyone with the slightest bit of familiarity of this series knows that linear flags don't work well or at all. They need to be spaced out to get a decent flow in conquest.

My problem is, at the start as the game just came out, sure there were problems, although manageable for the most part.
But after the first big patch things seemed to get worse overall. Not just with balance, but performance as well. Getting killed a ton behind cover again just like BF4, which didn't happen at launch at all.
Now they just seem to buff shit that doesn't need buffing and nerf stuff that doesn't make any sense.

I guess they still don't play test any of this like they said in the past and simply go by statistics and edit sheets to see how that will change the numbers and go from there.
I know of no other FPS developer that does things is such a backwards way in this day and age. fuck. :(

edit. Those pics.... man, I don't know anymore.
How do you even call that level design at this point.
I could come up with a better layout and that's just pathetic. :(
Seriously, some random height deviations and a dozen trees spread around randomly, now have fun and try to get through all the pewpewpew of mondragon spam and camping sniper fire. bah

What's worse is there seems to be almost no new art assets. So it just feels like a remix of current maps.
That actually make a ton of sense. Seeing as how this patch is extremely small considering it includes a new map and knowing how stupidly huge their patches normally are.

Acinixys

DICE's conquest large map design at it's worst is abhorrent and I don't know why after years of working on this franchise they still don't get that much of the love for conquest comes from open ended capture point layout and the diversity of encounters and match flow it provides.

That Suez makes me miss the shithole that is Operation Metro speaks volumes about how bad they are at map design

Even BF4s maps were pretty bad

I miss the days of African Harbour, Karkand, Caspian Border and Seine Crossing

Those were excellent maps with a strong sense of flow and excellent flag placement.

Foxxsoxx

Yeah I'm all for free maps but I'm not having glowing first impressions of Giant's Shadow.

It looks way too similar looking to Scar with all of the assets ripped right from it. There is a lot of empty land that has elevation that really makes everyone below an easy target, it's too tug of warish. There just isn't any layers or depth to the map.

Maybe I'll come to like it later on, but I don't have awesome first impressions. Also this map is fucking awful with fog, you can't see SHIT. Just had a match where literally over half the time we played it was pure fog from the start until the last 4 minutes.

EatChildren

That's the thing, after all these years, pretty much anyone with the slightest bit of familiarity of this series knows that linear flags don't work well or at all. They need to be spaced out to get a decent flow in conquest.

My problem is, at the start as the game just came out, sure there were problems, although manageable for the most part.
But after the first big patch things seemed to get worse overall. Not just with balance, but performance as well. Getting killed a ton behind cover again just like BF4, which didn't happen at launch at all.
Now they just seem to buff shit that doesn't need buffing and nerf stuff that doesn't make any sense.

I guess they still don't play test any of this like they said in the past and simply go by statistics and edit sheets to see how that will change the numbers and go from there.
I know of no other FPS developer that does things is such a backwards way in this day and age. fuck. :(

I'm not quite as sour on the game (minus getting shot behind cover, the bullet bending is definitely there and annoying as fuck). And I think linear capture point progression can....sometimes work in the right context. Ballroom Blitz is super linear but I quite like the map as the layout of cover and topography keeps most of it interesting. C is busy and big/dense enough to prevent massive sniper domination, and there's plenty of cover heavy wiggle room around C to capture points from the back

But when the line of sight is so open and free of cover fuck that shit. It's a shooting gallery and moving up on capture points requires such specific team play and/or use of vehicles that if you're not part of that group you're basically left waiting or chewing through waves of dudes running out on open terrain. Aka, shooting gallery.

That Suez makes me miss the shithole that is Operation Metro speaks volumes about how bad they are at map design

Even BF4s maps were pretty bad

I miss the days of African Harbour, Karkand, Caspian Border and Seine Crossing

Those were excellent maps with a strong sense of flow and excellent flag placement.

Suez I can tolerate to be honest. I mean, it's shit, but it has so much cover I can deal. Stuff like Fao is where I draw the line since so many stretches of play between a vast majority of capture points ultimately regress to the exact same type of game play.

As said, my love for Conquest (which to me defines Battlefield) is knowing I can play the same map 10 times and have a different experience and game flow each time. It's why I poured so many hours into BF3's Caspian and Firestorm. And BF4's Siege of Shanghai (which I adore). All those components that make up Battlefield, the vehicles/classes/loadouts, flow beautifully with diverse capture point distribution leading to a huge variety of situational offence and defence. Even a single capture point can feel differently depending on what the opposition has in comparison and how they're playing.

Then I look at this shit and I just don't even want to bother. I've played 10 minutes of the bloody map and I feel like I've experienced all it can offer.
I can see DICE tried to accommodate for the clear view distance by EXTREMELY heavy fog as the main weather effect. But eh. I like it on Empire's Edge because that map has okay layout. Here it's hard to give a shit.

Ravek

Banned
So in a week or two should we expect an announcement from DICE saying in the next update that they are going to redo GS like Suez?

Theorry

So in a week or two should we expect an announcement from DICE saying in the next update that they are going to redo GS like Suez?

Nah people tend of overreact abit always with new maps. Happens all the time with every BF game. Give it a couple of days first for people to know the map and how it flows. Then we can say its good or bad.

Foxxsoxx

Nah people tend of overreact abit always with new maps. Happens all the time with every BF game. Give it a couple of days first for people to know the map and how it flows. Then we can say its good or bad.

Have you played the map yet man? The town section works well but the middle objectives can be held easily cutting off one team from getting to the other 2 flags.

They really should have named it No Mans Land because that's all you're getting going to the middle objective from either side. Some cover would greatly help the map flow.

EatChildren

Definitely agree, and there's been plenty of times when I've outrighted hated a map and grew to like it. Sinai is a great example; fucking hated it when I first played, but have grown to like it plenty. I personally don't think it's half as bad as some make it out to be and the capture point distribution is alright. Fao is far, far worse when it comes to being a sniper magnet.

But the first impressions of Giant's Shadow are definitely poor on my end mainly because it's deeply reminiscent of qualities found within existing Battlefield franchise maps that I already hate. Linearity almost never works in Battlefield capture point distribution, and it's pretty big here. Combined with huge stretches of openness...it's not a good start.

EDIT: Like okay, imagine if that open stretch from D leading to EF was more like a dense No Man's Land style wastleland of broken trees, wet trenches and mud ditches, smoldering vehicles, etc. A stretch of terrain visually busy and littered with obstacles to mess with the snipers, medics, and support encamped on D. At least then you'd have maybe some more interesting progression instead of a straight up shooting gallery. Better tank play could be a defining factor but eh. We'll see.

Ravek

Banned

I see GAF is doing that thing again where doesn't highlight who quotes you.

Anyways.

I'm getting a Failed to Connect to EA Online message on PS4. The servers going out or ???

Top Bottom