• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

It's so sad that there are no private servers. I saw two non DICE servers today though. Is the high pricing the reason? I had hoped to see at least a few 32/48 player servers...
I've seen lots of custom servers, at least for 64 players, but they're rarely populated from what I've seen.

It's rather frustrating, as I'd like to play a hell of a lot of certain maps on Conquest, and I'm not keen on having to play the map before those maps, because sometimes I don't like them, just to get a full game on the map I do like.

Podge293

Game is so frustrating at times. Can steamroll the defenders in the first 4 or whatever zones, last zone just pure collapse.

Still the best game I've got so far. Put stupid hours into it now. Neglecting other titles ugh

The DLC for March seems so far away. 96 hours and I’ve finished all the classes, so I’m getting a bit bored now and the ranks don’t give you anything, but dog tags so that’s whatever (90-100 is too much of a grind anyways.) Oh well, good thing I have TF2. I just bounce between BF1 and TF2, when I get bored with one I just go play the other and vice versa.

terrible

Banned
Win percentage went from 22% to 20% since I last posted (two days ago).

I've given up on this game and got rid of it. The last straw came when I was finally on the winning team and the game decided to switch me to the other team.

I put in 10 hrs and really tried to like it but it's just inferior compared to BF4. I really liked the desert maps though.
You were just on a horrific bad luck streak, that's all. It can happen. If you kept at it you'd likely end up going on a few win streaks to even things out. Even if you had a 0.10 K/D and couldn't play the objective much you'd still get carried often enough to at least hit the mid 30s in win %. It's a shame you gave up after only 10 hours. I didn't even know the maps well by the 10 hour mark myself and had barely anything unlocked. The fun starts after you get past the initial unlock/map knowledge curve.

edit: I do agree that it's a step below BF4 but BF1 is still fun because it's different.

Man seems everyone but me has a playable game. Since the patch I can't play anymore. Framerate is in the gutter and after trying everything else the game is left as the only source of failure.

Ah well, enjoy.

Win percentage went from 22% to 20% since I last posted (two days ago).

I've given up on this game and got rid of it. The last straw came when I was finally on the winning team and the game decided to switch me to the other team.

I put in 10 hrs and really tried to like it but it's just inferior compared to BF4. I really liked the desert maps though.
The desert maps are the worst maps in the game

All 3 of them are the 3 worst

I don't understand

What mode? I think it depends on the type of mode. I really like the desert maps because they remind me of Africa Harbor (Bad Company 2).
Conquest

Fao Fortress is the best out of them (and may be better than giant's shadow idk it's been a while) but even then, not a fan.

Honestly though the only maps I really like for conquest are empire's edge, ballroom blitz, st. Quentin scar and Amiens.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fao Fortress is the fucking worst.

Nameless

Compared to Sinai and Suez it's almost a good map

There are actually some fun urban skirmishes on Suez and Sinai. The towns turn into bloodbaths when contested. There's nothing fun about Fao. The ways you have to play it in order to be successful are not how I enjoy approaching BF games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
i remember my first operations game was on Fao Fortress. We spent three battalions defending the first sector. I kept getting sniped by those douchebags on the hill and they had a tank up there as well sniping everyone trying to get to A or him. He had an entire squad of snipers protecting him from Assault guys. He ended up with like a 100 kills.

I didnt know back then that snipers could do 6 damage with each K Bullet shot. I guess the other snipers didnt either? this was immediately after black friday so im guessing a lot of us were noobs who had no idea what to do.

Now operations on these desert maps is some of the most fun i have. a good team can easily capture all points even the fao fortress one with some skill. they are a bit sniper friendly but at least they dont have bunkers.

Akai__

I'm now 100% sure that the patch for Online MP also affected the Campaign.

Prior to the patch, you would never see a Rocket Gun or Tank shot being deflected by a Tank and now it's happening pretty often and even the Hellriegel nerf is showing in the Campaign. But all this is really not an issue. The issue is that the AA-turret nerf is affecting the challenge and it's pretty much impossible to do right now. My last codex entry and I can't complete it.

CHC

Fao Fortress is indeed a pile of garbage. In addition to playing out in a really boring, flat and mediocre way, it also has the same horrendously ugly color palette as a urine-soaked cardboard box, AND seems to be randomly selected about three times more often than anything else.

I like Suez and Sinai though. Especially Sinai.

Mahonay

Banned
Fao Fortress is indeed a pile of garbage. In addition to playing out in a really boring, flat and mediocre way, it also has the same horrendously ugly color palette as a urine-soaked cardboard box, AND seems to be randomly selected about three times more often than anything else.

Fao is most definitely a runny yellow turd.

I agree with all of this

Gaenor

Banned

Fao Fortress is probably the only map that I don't like in the game. I have no problem with Sinai and Suez. In fact I quite like them because they offer something different.

Fao on the other has very few redeeming qualities imo. But I don't quit when I come across it, and I still find ways to enjoy the game.

Dysun

I hit my fatigue point after leveling all classes to 10 and running the same operations over and over. Hopefully the DLC adds new operations, since I really don't care for the other modes in contrast

The desert maps are the worst maps in the game

All 3 of them are the 3 worst

I don't understand
Yep. When I replied to that post I lol'd at that specific part.
Fao Fortress is the fucking worst.
That's not how you spell Suez.

How can you say FAO Fortress is a bad map and Suez is not with a straight face? Suez has to be the dumbest map I've ever experienced. You go towards the objective-sniped. Go over a sand dune to see what's goi-sniped. Oh shit I actually made it towards the objective-Get killed by horserider 5 feet away. The only point when that map is decent is the town area.

Fao fortress doesn't make any damn sense. The tank hunter kit spawns at D so where does the other kit spawn at...? No, not there.

B is the worst designed cap in the game. The borders are terrible, and there's no cover. And I can't fathom what the point of E and F are when there's no easy trek to them for either side, so they sit isolated.

Whoever designed that map must be either terrible or terribly daring and failed.

Jito

Banned
Wow planes really ruin this game, no one aims at them and they just sail around dropping bombs all over your team all match. At least in the modern games you can spawn with AA guns to take them out, nothing of the sort in this.

JDB

Banned
Wow planes really ruin this game, no one aims at them and they just sail around dropping bombs all over your team all match. At least in the modern games you can spawn with AA guns to take them out, nothing of the sort in this.
Well, except the AA guns.

The artillery truck has an AA variant, so you can spawn in that.

Is that on every map and mode? Was playing rush before on the fortress map with no option to spawn in a aa truck.

Not sure what Fao Fortress is like in Rush, but if you see a tank icon at your spawn, you will be able to choose the Artillery Truck. You will have to change the loadout to AA though.

5taquitos

Not sure what Fao Fortress is like in Rush, but if you see a tank icon at your spawn, you will be able to choose the Artillery Truck. You will have to change the loadout to AA though.

All you have to do is select all those options before someone else swoops it to sit back and snipe in a tank for the whole match!

Which the planes just focus on and destroy before you can even get a shot off and then they're destroyed. How do you repair them?

There's definitely a lack of anti-air capabilities in this game, but WW1 I guess.

There are times in Operations where the enemy has a blimp and you (defenders) have no AA guns, no vehicles, no nothing. None of the classes have an AA weapon. The closest thing to an AA weapon is the AT rocket gun which isn't a one hit kill to planes and does like 3 damage to the dreadnought.

Lol, having lame lock on rockets was a good thing?

I always find it funny to see people complain about the removal of no-skill lock on weapons, it's difficult to fly a plane well, why should it be easy to take one down? Put some effort into it.

Hell actually shooting the planes with infantry weapons is actually viable in BF1, if a squad focused a bomber they could bring it down pretty quickly, especially if someone was using K-bullets, but I guess that's a little harder to do than simply pressing a button, forgetting about it, and then getting a kill a few seconds later with no effort put into it.

Jito

Banned

I always find it funny to see people complain about the removal of no-skill lock on weapons, it's difficult to fly a plane well, why should it be easy to take one down? Put some effort into it.

Hell actually shooting the planes with infantry weapons is actually viable in BF1, if a squad focused a bomber they could bring it down pretty quickly, especially if someone was using K-bullets, but I guess that's a little harder to do than simply pressing a button, forgetting about it, and then getting a kill a few seconds later with no effort put into it.

It was a good thing because it balanced the game out. It stopped maps being dominated from the air which seems to happen quiet often in Battlefield 1. The best games I've had were when I wasn't having to worry about some flyboy dropping bombs on me every few minutes. Honestly always hated air vehicles in BF, they have little effect on the objective in play and just play for kills most of the time. But yeh you keep up with that high and mighty attitude, doesn't make you come of like a stuck up prick at all.

You got AA guns to take them out fast if you're proficient.

They are really effective against shit pilots who fly in low but I've had bad games were they smartly avoid the AA guns or just bomb the shit out of them so they're no use at all. I might just start playing on servers with planes turned off as the majority of teammates in public games just ignore them and allow them to dominate all game.

You got AA guns to take them out fast if you're proficient.
It was a good thing because it balanced the game out. It stopped maps being dominated from the air which seems to happen quiet often in Battlefield 1. The best games I've had were when I wasn't having to worry about some flyboy dropping bombs on me every few minutes. Honestly always hated air vehicles in BF, they have little effect on the objective in play and just play for kills most of the time. But yeh you keep up with that high and mighty attitude, doesn't make you come of like a stuck up prick at all.
If you're seriously having a problem with planes, get into an AA gun, or the AA truck.

Small arms actually does a lot of damage to planes. If a squad would actually shoot at a plane doing a strafing run, you can fuck them up pretty bad. However, nobody does. They'd rather just let that plane kill them over and over.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

You come across as a bit arrogant, but you speak the truth, every word. BF3 and especially 4 were an awful clusterfuck of lock-on bullshit, good riddance.

Jito

Banned
If you're seriously having a problem with planes, get into an AA gun, or the AA truck.

Like I said I might just resort to servers with planes turned off. Air vehicles in BF games are always just another layer of fuckery where you have to rely on your team to watch your back, which half the time they aren't. I've not got time to play the objective (which most of the team aren't doing as well) and watch the skies at the same time.

Like I said I might just resort to servers with planes turned off. Air vehicles in BF games are always just another layer of fuckery where you have to rely on your team to watch your back, which half the time they aren't. I've not got time to play the objective (which most of the team aren't doing as well) and watch the skies at the same time.
AA guns take out planes very quickly so you get in and get out. What game mode are you playing? I find it incredibly hard to believe that no one is taking on planes in some way.

JDB

Banned
Plus, unless you're in a vehicle I find that planes barely have any impact on me at all aside from the occasional bombing run.

The Dude

Except people that use AA guns lol

terrible

Banned
Plus, unless you're in a vehicle I find that planes barely have any impact on me at all aside from the occasional bombing run.

I've had rounds of Operations were almost all my deaths were from planes. That's as infantry. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times jets took me out while I was on foot in BF3 and BF4. IMO jets weren't good enough vs infantry in those games so this is closer to how it should be. Jets weren't a joke in BF2 and neither were planes in BF1942.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally got all classes to 10.

I actually kinda like the Selbstlader. Here's the thing, and I suspect I'm a minority player here; often with Battlefield I enjoy playing around with the various weapons and learning how to use them even if it's abundantly clear it has major deficiencies compared to other firearms. I did this a lot in Battlefield 3 and 4 too. While I'll always have my weapons-of-choice for each class, I'm generally not so concerned about performance consistency that I feel naked without them. I like mixing it up and picking a weapon that could be the polar opposite of my usual playstyle and see how quickly I adapt. I find that fun.

With the Selbstlader I was in a positive KDR and doing my healing thing and having a great time. It sounds super badass and punchy, and I find a thrill in lining up distance shots with just the iron sights and trying to manage the low rounds-per-clip to ensure I get the kill. Sometimes I feel forcing myself to use these kinds of guns actually makes me better in the long run as I'm forced to git gud at my accuracy and patience.

JDB

Banned
I've had rounds of Operations were almost all my deaths were from planes. That's as infantry. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times jets took me out while I was on foot in BF3 and BF4. IMO jets weren't good enough vs infantry in those games so this is closer to how it should be. Jets weren't a joke in BF2 and neither were planes in BF1942.
I think the BF1 planes sit pretty comfortably in between jets and helicopters from BF3/4 in terms of anti-infantry capabilities. Sure, there are matches where your pilots and AA sucks and the other team has a godlike pilot, but generally I feel like it's pretty well balanced.

Finally got all classes to 10.

I actually kinda like the Selbstlader. Here's the thing, and I suspect I'm a minority player here; often with Battlefield I enjoy playing around with the various weapons and learning how to use them even if it's abundantly clear it has major deficiencies compared to other firearms. I did this a lot in Battlefield 3 and 4 too. While I'll always have my weapons-of-choice for each class, I'm generally not so concerned about performance consistency that I feel naked without them. I like mixing it up and picking a weapon that could be the polar opposite of my usual playstyle and see how quickly I adapt. I find that fun.

With the Selbstlader I was in a positive KDR and doing my healing thing and having a great time. It sounds super badass and punchy, and I find a thrill in lining up distance shots with just the iron sights and trying to manage the low rounds-per-clip to ensure I get the kill. Sometimes I feel forcing myself to use these kinds of guns actually makes me better in the long run as I'm forced to git gud at my accuracy and patience.

But the Selbstlader is awesome! what deficiencies could it possibly have, it three shots everything and has 20 rounds. The factory version is still my most used weapon.

Top Bottom