• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Mahonay

Banned
The noob harvest is real. I had a Conquest game today where I went 70 and 4, mostly in a heavy tank. My longest kill streak now stands at 61.

Also had a round of Conquest on Sinai where I shot 4 bombers out of the air with my heavy tank. Feels good man.

Foxxsoxx

Is anyone really not feeling this as long term as BF4? I usually always have fun when I play and I dominate but something just feels lacking to where I barely want to play... Teamwork seems nonexistent and not having helicopters and more vehicles really makes it kind of stale after a few weeks.

terrible

Banned
I think the BF1 planes sit pretty comfortably in between jets and helicopters from BF3/4 in terms of anti-infantry capabilities. Sure, there are matches where your pilots and AA sucks and the other team has a godlike pilot, but generally I feel like it's pretty well balanced.

Yeah I think they are balanced well too, or at least that is my feeling as someone on the ground. Maybe pilots would feel differently I'm not sure.

Apt101

Planes definitely feel balanced here. At least a ton more than they were in BF3 and 4. Copters in BF3/4 could get downright ridiculous with a decent pilot on many maps, here planes do a competent job but can be effectively handled if focus fired upon or if someone takes up an AA emplacement, and don't wreak widescale damage unless they get a lucky run in. They also respawn at a decent clip. I like them, I think DICE finally figured out how to make the air game work. Even the big blimps work given their role and vulnerability.

Ravek

Banned
Planes definitely feel balanced here. At least a ton more than they were in BF3 and 4. Copters in BF3/4 could get downright ridiculous with a decent pilot on many maps, here planes do a competent job but can be effectively handled if focus fired upon or if someone takes up an AA emplacement, and don't wreak widescale damage unless they get a lucky run in. They also respawn at a decent clip. I like them, I think DICE finally figured out how to make the air game work. Even the big blimps work given their role and vulnerability.

I concur.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I've had rounds of Operations were almost all my deaths were from planes. That's as infantry. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times jets took me out while I was on foot in BF3 and BF4. IMO jets weren't good enough vs infantry in those games so this is closer to how it should be. Jets weren't a joke in BF2 and neither were planes in BF1942.

yep. the key thing here is that they are OP in the operations mode because not all sectors in operations have AA guns. sometimes as a defending team you cant even go back a sector to use an AA gun. attackers especially get fucked.

Mahonay

Banned
The fact I can laugh when an attack plane swoops in and bombs the living shit out of me when I'm running on foot, it's enough proof for me that planes are pretty well balanced in this game. I don't feel hopeless after a plane kills me. They are not an unstoppable menace like choppers and jets were in some cases in BF4.

I've only seen planes completely take over games in BF1 maybe twice in the 178 hours I've played. Both times our team was not taking advantage of the AA guns.

Mahonay

Banned
Is anyone really not feeling this as long term as BF4? I usually always have fun when I play and I dominate but something just feels lacking to where I barely want to play... Teamwork seems nonexistent and not having helicopters and more vehicles really makes it kind of stale after a few weeks.
Lots of dumb players out there right now, but it's a super popular Battlefield game with a lot of unexperienced players. I don't play this game unless I'm with a squad of friends. Even then yeah it can be a struggle sometimes, but I still have a lot of fun.

JDB

Banned
Speaking of planes: why do their crashes look so shit in BF1? Most of the time they hit the ground, freeze then sorta blow up. Definitely don't remember them being so terrible in previous BF games.

Mahonay

Banned
Speaking of planes: why do their crashes look so shit in BF1? Most of the time they hit the ground, freeze then sorta blow up. Definitely don't remember them being so terrible in previous BF games.
Is it better on PC? Always tbought the wreckage freezing in air was more of a console thing. I'm on PS4 and it does it a lot.

JDB

Banned
Is it better on PC? Always tbought the wreckage freezing in air was more of a console thing. I'm on PS4 and it does it a lot.
Nope, just as bad. I figured they'd fix it before launch considering how bad it was in the beta, but here we are.

Getting back into it recently, honest question; do Medals matter? They pop up every loading screen so I've felt bad about not trying to go for them but Christ, this system feels bad to play. Why didn't they just do CoD4's challenges system? That was much less of a hassle.

Turkoop

Banned
Getting back into it recently, honest question; do Medals matter? They pop up every loading screen so I've felt bad about not trying to go for them but Christ, this system feels bad to play. Why didn't they just do CoD4's challenges system? That was much less of a hassle.

No, the reward you get for one is too small. They have to improve the medal system.

Surfinn

Nope, just as bad. I figured they'd fix it before launch considering how bad it was in the beta, but here we are.
I'm shocked this is still in the game. And boats have no explosion animation, they just disappear, lol.

I'm assuming it's the same across platforms.

Has DICE mentioned whether they'd fix it? Haven't seen them mention it.

I kind of wish Rush had something like Operations, where the offense earns back lives after clearing out an area. Otherwise there's not much of a continuity to the battle; A great stand at the first area isn't any different than a lousy one with the current system. I think giving the attackers full lives after each round is what's killed Rush for me from BC2 onward; I know they need to balance it in a way to diminish the defenses advantage, but as it stands it doesn't reward them well enough for a good stand.

I enjoy the game play, but the progression system is garbage this time around. It's actually a step back from BF 4. You unlock almost everything by levels 3/4 and everything else is locked behind some trash rng loot crate system (It's not even a good system. Like the one from OW is decent, you get one every time you rank up. This is just some random bs at the end of the match.) I'm one of those people that really enjoy progression. I like leveling up and unlocking things. So yeah, when it comes to long term, the progression is really hurting it for me.

JDB

Banned
BF4's progression system was terrible. Being able to choose what you unlock is great, and not having to get scopes and ironsights through weapons battlepacks already makes it ten times better.

WillyFive

BF4's progression system was terrible. Being able to choose what you unlock is great, and not having to get scopes and ironsights through weapons battlepacks already makes it ten times better.

Yeah, but those two small changes are not what people talk about when they say the progression system is terrible.

This game can be very frustrating sometimes. Three games in a row I'm placed on a losing team. I check the scoreboard and every time my team has 25 players compared to the 32 enemies. I wasn't even backing out of lobbies. Just shitty game after shitty game.

It doesn't help that I seem to go up against the most organized squads on earth while my team doesn't even know how to give out ammo or health. Capturing a flag by myself? No backup for me. Meanwhile, the entire freaking enemy squad spawns on the flag and shuts me down.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've whined before, but it really is unbearably infuriating when your team is utterly incompetent and brain dead when approaching anti-tank play. We were getting utterly violated by tanks on Giant's Shadow and it seemed like only myself and maybe two others were trying to take down their mix of all three tanks. It culminated with a whole bunch of us trying to take a capture point inside the wrecked airship and the enemy had a landship sitting there picking us off. I was the only one trying to take out the landship; anti-tank grenades, light anti-tank grenades, and anti-tank rifle. I ran out of ammo and because nobody else was trying to take out let alone providing me ammo to resupply I watched as I whittled it down nearly nothing and then repair completely in full.

Fuck that team. Fuck those players. Fuck every selfish cunt who wouldn't make an effort to make their next spawn a class/loadout that will actually help the team.
"hurrrh tanks are op"
You dumbass fucks.

Bollocks

Idk, the game is fun with friends but I think I like BF4 more. There's just much more to unlock and things to use.
As always the sound is really great in BF1, I just love to be in the middle of a big fight but I feel like it's missing something, there's not much depth compared to previous titles, it feels kinda like a PSN game like BF1943 or something, idk.

Surfinn

I've whined before, but it really is unbearably infuriating when your team is utterly incompetent and brain dead when approaching anti-tank play. We were getting utterly violated by tanks on Giant's Shadow and it seemed like only myself and maybe two others were trying to take down their mix of all three tanks. It culminated with a whole bunch of us trying to take a capture point inside the wrecked airship and the enemy had a landship sitting there picking us off. I was the only one trying to take out the landship; anti-tank grenades, light anti-tank grenades, and anti-tank rifle. I ran out of ammo and because nobody else was trying to take out let alone providing me ammo to resupply I watched as I whittled it down nearly nothing and then repair completely in full.

Fuck that team. Fuck those players. Fuck every selfish cunt who wouldn't make an effort to make their next spawn a class/loadout that will actually help the team.
"hurrrh tanks are op"
You dumbass fucks.
Yup or better yet use another tank to combat it. People fucking cry about tanks all day but are unwilling to do anything about it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Idk, the game is fun with friends but I think I like BF4 more. There's just much more to unlock and things to use.
As always the sound is really great in BF1, I just love to be in the middle of a big fight but I feel like it's missing something, there's not much depth compared to previous titles, it feels kinda like a PSN game like BF1943 or something, idk.

I definitely do not agree with the notion that it feels like a PSN game at all. That being said, while I myself am continuing to enjoy the ever loving hell out of it, I can sympathise with people who feel it's lacking the nuanced encounter complexity and sandbox-like game elements of Battlefield 3 and 4. So much so that I suspected this would happen as more info came out about the game and especially after playing the beta. There's less stuff going on per match in terms of vehicle scope and equipment variety, and there's little in the ways of carrot-on-a-stick unlocks.

But in some ways that, to me, contributes to the game's strength. As much as a I love that hugely diverse sandbox like nature of Battlefield 3 and 4 the greater focus on infantry play and weighted vehicle presence gives Battlefield 1 a wonderful charm. It doubles down on the stuff I like most at the expense of the trivial fluff I don't really care about, and to me feels like a tighter experience for it. The diversity comes less from quantity of stuff and more from the play out of encounters themselves and individual entanglements.

Yup or better yet use another tank to combat it. People fucking cry about tanks all day but are unwilling to do anything about it.

Yep. And every time I was prepared to take the role of a tanker myself someone else would get in first, play dreadfully, and lose the tank within a minute or two of spawning.
Like I get the opposite team was just better than us; that's fine. We probably wouldn't have won even if we had our shit together better.
But fuck me I don't think I've ever played a game with so much incessant whining about balance directly related to things these same whiners refuse to adapt to and help with. There should be an algorithm that auto kicks every dumbass sniper who moans about tank balance.

That tank is really fucking us up! Maybe I should respawn as Assault or Support to help kill it? Nah, fuck it someone else will do it!

I'm sure if all those useless scout players would use their k bullets they probably could kill a tank in seconds.

EatChildren

That tank is really fucking us up! Maybe I should respawn as Assault or Support to help kill it? Nah, fuck it someone else will do it!

I'm sure if all those useless scout players would use their k bullets they probably could kill a tank in seconds.

I think it really comes down to an element of natural selfishness that many people have when playing video games, where essentially the entire match must revolve around their wants and desires and choice of play. To its credit, Battlefield really does allow people to just enter a game, pick a class, and have fun no matter what they're doing or where they are. You don't need to follow your squad, assist anybody. Play selfishly and you can still have a great time. And I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

But when you're in a match where your team has an abundance of these people you get this nature skewering of coherency and subconscious teamwork because so many players just don't comprehend how even minor contributions to damage, capturing, healing, etc can greatly benefit the team. You can even see DICE's logic; curb sniper selfishness by giving them a handful of rounds that do welcome damage to vehicles, allowing them to contribute to anti-vehicle play even while they camp and take out soldiers, thus justifying the buffed weighted presence of vehicles. Literally every class has some kind of anti-vehicle option. EVERYONE can help in some capacity. But people don't because hitting a tank with a K-round probably won't kill it so someone else will get all the kills and the XP points are so trivial it's not worth it fuck it I'll just stick to camping and sniping soldiers so I get a sweet KDR.

I don't even really feel there's anything that can be done about it since that's the difference between a mass market, more accessible game versus genre specific builds with a niche fanbase. I jump into a server and it's me alongside 63 other players. I can't account for who they are and how they'll play.

Yup to both posts. You can also bomb a tank with a plane.

I can kinda forgive pilots since some people just have a really hard time flying and lining up shots and even just one active AA can put a crazy amount of pressure on them. But yeah. Tank hunter planes are crazy useful against vehicles.

teepo

I don't even really feel there's anything that can be done about it since that's the difference between a mass market, more accessible game versus genre specific builds with a niche fanbase. I jump into a server and it's me alongside 63 other players. I can't account for who they are and how they'll play.

you know what could possibly fix the issue? classic mode

Meccs

They really need to shorten the wait time between Domination style matches. It takes way too long.
And they need to add more loadout slots. 3 per class is not enough.

terrible

Banned
They really need to shorten the wait time between Domination style matches. It takes way too long.
And they need to add more loadout slots. 3 per class is not enough.

Domination matches need to be like 3x longer too. You shouldn't be able to win a match in 3 minutes. Takes longer to load than to play haha.
It's secretly the most the fun game mode still.

The Dude

Planes are in a good spot. It's not hard for other planes to bring you down if they are at least somewhat decent at piloting, AA guns can drop you in seconds if they get a good bead on you and same with artillery trucks parked out in zones people can't even reach, so there are ways it's just a matter of people taking the time to drop planes.

Joe

Finally got around to picking this up in the PSN sale.

Any pointers to the best weapons,loadouts,etc so I'm not a complete waste to my team?

Cheers

Best weapons are primarily going to be weapons you feel most comfortable with so you're going to have to experiment. Also use the right gun for how you like to play - don't equip a long-range gun if you prefer close or medium-range situations for example.

To be good in Battlefield emphasize on these things: play the objective, play your class properly, spot enemies, play tactically at a little slower pace than usual while also using cover and trying to die less.

My own opinion for a beginner would be to start with Medic class and mix in heals and revives while also playing the objective.

Joe

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Tell people on forums, game chats, Twitter, and even your friends: spot enemies.

There is a serious lack of enemy spotting going on even though it's easy and helps out so much.

I even suggest spotting enemies before shooting them. That habit does get me killed a few times more than I normally would, especially in tight situations, but that is easily outweighed by the positive effects.

Apt101

Man this BF has so many cheaters it makes my head spin. Sometimes almost entire teams being banned by Fairfight. I've been shot through walls or by people who I watch shoot five or six people in the head within the brief time span of the kill cam. It's making it hard to keep playing. I cannot believe there are this many cheaters. I played a few maps tonight and I swear it seems like 75% of the people, my team and the other, were aimbotting. They were even joking about it in chat. Fuck.

The Dude

Man just did a 94-7 30k game, but we still lost.. Sucks. I had so many areas cleared but man some just can't capitalize on it

Best weapons are primarily going to be weapons you feel most comfortable with so you're going to have to experiment. Also use the right gun for how you like to play - don't equip a long-range gun if you prefer close or medium-range situations for example.

To be good in Battlefield emphasize on these things: play the objective, play your class properly, spot enemies, play tactically at a little slower pace than usual while also using cover and trying to die less.

My own opinion for a beginner would be to start with Medic class and mix in heals and revives while also playing the objective.

Thanks, i've been mainly switching between medic and assault depending on the team needs.

Biggest obstacle is going to be learning the maps.

New002

I definitely do not agree with the notion that it feels like a PSN game at all. That being said, while I myself am continuing to enjoy the ever loving hell out of it, I can sympathise with people who feel it's lacking the nuanced encounter complexity and sandbox-like game elements of Battlefield 3 and 4. So much so that I suspected this would happen as more info came out about the game and especially after playing the beta. There's less stuff going on per match in terms of vehicle scope and equipment variety, and there's little in the ways of carrot-on-a-stick unlocks.

But in some ways that, to me, contributes to the game's strength. As much as a I love that hugely diverse sandbox like nature of Battlefield 3 and 4 the greater focus on infantry play and weighted vehicle presence gives Battlefield 1 a wonderful charm. It doubles down on the stuff I like most at the expense of the trivial fluff I don't really care about, and to me feels like a tighter experience for it. The diversity comes less from quantity of stuff and more from the play out of encounters themselves and individual entanglements.

100% agreed and the bolded is super on point. This game reminds me more of BC2: Vietnam than it does of BC2, 3 or 4, and I like that considering Vietnam is my favorite BF experience out of all of those.

The Dude

K bullets are useless

They are annoying, trust me when someone hits my plane with one it'd annoying as hell and it can finish me off if I'm smoking and repairing. But yea I mean they aren't super valuable but I think if you catch a beat up vehicle you can finish them

Top Bottom