• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

jmelons

I'm loving this game, but they need to fix the UI. It's trash. I feel like they put too much emphasis on having it be controller friendly (I'm playing on PC.)

It's weird when you hit ESC and nothing happens. ESC should bring up the menu; not just in this game, but universally. Makes no sense to disable it.

GravyButt

What's everyone's favorite class so far?

Mostly played the medic but haven't bought any guns yet. Whats some good ones? Im rank 3 medic with 500ish war bonds. I honestly haven't played the game overall a lot but im loving what im playing. Im thinking medic will be my class. Mondragon sniper gun sounds cool but no clue what it is.

Ive also tried out the scout. I enjoyed it but felt like I wasn't really a team player which I didn't enjoy. I played aggressively and jumped from flag to flag but never could get close enough to capture it without getting taken out. But I did awesome sniping though. Never really sniped in a game before so I was impressed dropping squads at will.

Got owned as assault. Easily my worst class. But yet again ive hardly put more than a few minutes in it.

Yet to try support yet. Ive heard mixed things on it. Like how the guns do very little damage. Ill try to give it a shot tomorrow!

What's everyone's favorite class so far?

Mostly played the medic but haven't bought any guns yet. Whats some good ones? Im rank 3 medic with 500ish war bonds. I honestly haven't played the game overall a lot but im loving what im playing. Im thinking medic will be my class. Mondragon sniper gun sounds cool but no clue what it is.

Ive also tried out the scout. I enjoyed it but felt like I wasn't really a team player which I didn't enjoy. I played aggressively and jumped from flag to flag but never could get close enough to capture it without getting taken out. But I did awesome sniping though. Never really sniped in a game before so I was impressed dropping squads at will.

Got owned as assault. Easily my worst class. But yet again ive hardly put more than a few minutes in it.

Yet to try support yet. Ive heard mixed things on it. Like how the guns do very little damage. Ill try to give it a shot tomorrow!

Im excited for Support, just because he actually sounds useful-- repairing tanks will be fun, mortar looks deadly (probably will get nerfed too), and can give out ammo (sorely underepped in this game), and damage vehicles.

I will likely play Medic most.

Im a bit disappointed that they gave SO many gadgets to Scout. Like, the little shield thing sounds cool for LMGs for suppressive fire.

Shady859

Yesssss! Medic was the only class I didn't back really use in the Beta, as it just had no function to me without a decent revival system! How long does the timer last, is roughly the same as BF4?

Agree medic sucked in the beta and I haven't played 4 in awhile to compare but the timer seems more than enough to safely pursue a nearby fallen teammate. The player can hold the respawn button speed up the timer though.

I'm about 5 hours in and just got my 1st battlepack drop: funky LMG = 90 scrap :)

Can we get some feedback on the new NEW Conquest?

It seems it's just the Beta Conquest with kills counting towards score, but that just sounds worse to me.

No ticket bleed, right? No tug of war styled Conquest? Because I really want that and prefer it.

Maximus P

I'm really not liking that mountain map. It looks glorious and all, but I hate feeling like I have to choose a sniper class just to get the drop on the enemy.

I just played a game on that map on operations and I didn't see an enemy player for a good 5 minutes of game time. I just kept getting sniped or bombed by mortar/airplanes.i started picking up kills after I switched to sniper, but I much prefer playing the team game and picking support or medic.

WillyFive

If I really liked the "classic" Battlefield games (up to and including 2142) but wasn't really into 3 and 4, is there a chance for BF1 to win me back?

It's the closest to it since before BF3 came out; with many maps that have heavier emphasis on vehicles, historical locations, orchestral score, and less gameplay elements that do things for the player (such as accurate spotting or anti-air or lock-on, etc.).

Tovarisc

I tried that 90 fov like people seem to recommend and it was the most disorienting thing ever

Try playing with it for few hours. If you get used to it benefits are worth it. Increase in area you see at once gives you advantage in spotting targets without need to span camera around constantly.

What made it disorienting for you?

This may have already been posted in here but I haven't seen anything yet.

Having purchased the early enlisted deluxe I get a code for bonus stuff.
I entered the code in the xbox store but when I go into the bf1 game I dont see anything, no skins, no tags, no crates.

Will it appear later? Thanks

Not sure I am. Where can I find it?

I was invited after adding my details to the Google doc hidden in the OP. I'm sure if you fill that in someone (me if it's possible) will invite you to the group.

Agree medic sucked in the beta and I haven't played 4 in awhile to compare but the timer seems more than enough to safely pursue a nearby fallen teammate. The player can hold the respawn button speed up the timer though.

I'm about 5 hours in and just got my 1st battlepack drop: funky LMG = 90 scrap :)

No that sounds pretty solid to me. It's nice that DICE have apparently listened to the community on things like the medic issues and worked to get them sorted ASAP.

Man, I almost feel like I should just do up the fucking early access shit for $5.

That's what I did. Probably going to end up buying the game now. Liking this alot more than 3 and 4, both of which I couldn't really get into. I still have 7 hours left! Just a heads up, you can only play the prologue and the first chapter (war story) of the campaign with the trial.

$5 for ten hours seems like a steal to me.

SuperSah

Banned
I was invited after adding my details to the Google doc hidden in the OP. I'm sure if you fill that in someone (me if it's possible) will invite you to the group.

Still relatively new to the PS4. Are communities a function on the system or on the Internet?

Could you PM me your answer etc.? I'm about to sleep and will probably lose track of this OT until I'm back again, thanks!

RS4-

That's what I did. Probably going to end up buying the game now. Liking this alot more than 3 and 4, both of which I couldn't really get into. I still have 7 hours left! Just a heads up, you can only play the prologue and the first chapter (war story) of the campaign with the trial.

$5 for ten hours seems like a steal to me.

I bought it a few days ago but I figured fuck it, might as well get in the 10 hours anyway lol. Not too concerned about the campaign, I just want to get some MP progress out of the way instead of waiting until Friday lol.

Got 10 more mins until I can start shooting people.

Tovarisc

Tips and tricks for the Support class? Probably my worst class.
  • Get M1909 Benet-Mercie Storm, imo best options until you can unlock BAR
  • Because of LMG's start as scatter guns and get more precise longer you fire them try to get jump on people and let it rain, medic and assault will own you if they get drop on you
  • Throw ammo around like candy, everyone needs it and gives good boosts to class XP
  • I hear mortar is okay, but choosing between it and rest is really up to how you play

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Tips and tricks for the Support class? Probably my worst class.

Drop ammo and unlock the ammo crate ASAP.

LMGs damages enemies super low, so be prepared to lose lots of head on battles.

Most underused class in the game so far (PS4), which means I always have to play it or no one gives anyone ammo. Sigh.

That bomb charge does little damage and has short range. Good for bombing structures, though.

My most used class followed by assault.

I hope everyone tries Operations. Definitely better than Rush. Just takes a while to load.

Try playing with it for few hours. If you get used to it benefits are worth it. Increase in area you see at once gives you advantage in spotting targets without need to span camera around constantly.

What made it disorienting for you?

It kind of had this weird fisheye look, which really made it harder for me to see things. I figured I'd take an incremental approach. Going at 75 I think now.

Foxxsoxx

Smaller modes are fine. Rush is smooth usually. But conquest 64 runs like shit most of the time.

Yup 64 player conquest doesn't ever feel like the frames are above 40, and even then it is in constant flux, not to mention the resolution dips a bit too making things really blurry.

Really hope they fix things a bit. I can understand not being constant 60 but dipping into the 30s is so jarring.

TheFatMan

Man this is the first Battlefield I have really enjoyed!

The maps are fun and well designed and Conquest is a blast with vehicles feeling fun and useful but not overwhelming by any means.

The music is tops and the graphics are hands down the best FPS graphics bar none on consoles.

Can't wait to see this shit on my Pro...god damn!

Tovarisc

It kind of had this weird fisheye look, which really made it harder for me to see things. I figured I'd take an incremental approach. Going at 75 I think now.

90 shouldn't fisheye @ 1080p, you just me quite sensitive to that effect. Ramping up FOV in increments can be good approach if you want get to used higher than default FOV. So much advantage in using higher FOV that getting used to it is worth it.

GravyButt

Are you on console? I switched it to 90 on xb1 on a47" tv and honestly not noticing too much of a difference.

Honestly whats the difference between highest (90) and whatever lowest is? I honestly dont know? My gripe is I have poor eyesight so everything is tiny to begin with. This might have made things smaller but I feel it made things wider.

Oh man, dont sour me with the performance news. Can we hope for a patch, or Is DICE going to screw us and just tell us to buy the PS4 Pro?

I *could* get this on PC, but I feel like my mouse is less precise than a controller, believe it or not. I dont know what happened to my PC skills, a gamer mouse isnt necessary is it?

It feels as if the precise micro aiming is screwed up, so I always twitch the shots like a good centimeter away

90 shouldn't fisheye @ 1080p, you just me quite sensitive to that effect. Ramping up FOV in increments can be good approach if you want get to used higher than default FOV. So much advantage in using higher FOV that getting used to it is worth it.

I can definitely see how it would be an advantage. It was kind of like looking down a warped tunnel, though haha

Are you on console? I switched it to 90 on xb1 on a47" tv and honestly not noticing too much of a difference.

Honestly whats the difference between highest (90) and whatever lowest is? I honestly dont know? My gripe is I have poor eyesight so everything is tiny to begin with. This might have made things smaller but I feel it made things wider.

On ps4. I think it defaulted to 50. That was the other problem - making things tiny. I already have a hard enough time identifying enemies

15999549532_1df98d5016_o.png

horizontal numbers

Foxxsoxx

Oh man, dont sour me with the performance news. Can we hope for a patch, or Is DICE going to screw us and just tell us to buy the PS4 Pro?

I *could* get this on PC, but I feel like my mouse is less precise than a controller, believe it or not. I dont know what happened to my PC skills, a gamer mouse isnt necessary is it?

It feels as if the precise micro aiming is screwed up, so I always twitch the shots like a good centimeter away

Honestly, I'd recommend to get this on PC. I really don't see Dice fixing the framerate here unless they dial down some effects.

If Conquest is your main mode, then definitely PC. Luckily Operations is pretty fun and you can set games to 40 players which helps framerate.

BF4 ran smoother than this, but graphically this has more going on which causes huge fluxes where the jittery frames just go up and down constantly and it really messes with your eyes especially with the resolution changing in and out. They should have kept it like BF4 graphically in my opinion, dial down the effects like smoke for sure.

novenD

Glad to see the impressions are mostly positive, especially on the Single Player side.

Preordered the physical PC version for that Amazon Prime discount, now I'm ready for Friday.

I can definitely see how it would be an advantage. It was kind of like looking down a warped tunnel, though haha

On ps4. I think it defaulted to 50. That was the other problem - making things tiny. I already have a hard enough time identifying enemies

Thats the problem then. Dont bother with a high FOV on a tv, sitting 2 feet from a computer monitor is when you would want such a high fov as it better replicates natural eyesight field of view. A low FOV is disorienting if you sit close to it because its so much narrower than what your eyes are used to. You could always scoot closer to the tv, but thats not a great solution, in general most first person console games have a low fov for a reason; its meant to appear natural from a living room wall-to-couch distance.

Top Bottom