• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Nyx

Is the ultimate edition really worth it? The main draw is getting all of the maps included. Will it be more expensive to buy the DLC as it comes out?

Season Pass is 50 euros.
The 4 separate map packs will be 15 euros a piece.

I'm going to wait it out, first pack comes in March 2017.

NZezSId.png

Imgur screenshot because I cant find the uncompressed one and shadow play uploads directly to imgur.

-Amon-

Almost finished SP at normal difficulty.

Great cutscenes, excellent choice of settings and good "stories". But the gameplay is nothing special. Ai is extremely dumb, no ai buddies, very little activity on screen. Even when you are supposed to operate in big battles you ear lot of voices but you rarely see more than 10 enemies together. Some annoying cliches too, like guards that while being alone, speak loudly just to make you aware that they are present. So 90's.

Multiplayer.. well it looks like they put all their effort here. Only 3 hours mind you, 3 operation games and 1 rush. But i must say i'm really enjoing myself. Only choice i don't really understand is the fucking Zeppelin reinforcement..........

-Amon-

Been playing mainly 40 man Operations and thought you guys were overreacting but wow 64 is noticeably clunky when I played conquest. Oh well 40 runs fine and no plans to replace it.

Get the tin foil hats out because this is all a trap put together by Sony and EA to make people buy the new PS4 AND new avatars for the crate drop line AND $20 for 3 days early AND they screwed digital folks out of 3 hours last night hoping you'd panic and buy physical as well AND conspiracy!

From what i saw if you are on console like me it's better to stick to 40 man Operation / Conquest....

The cool part is that i'm not missing that much the 60 players.

The BAR is good; it doesn’t even feel like a lmg. Also, I finally got to play Empire’s Edge. Holy shit that map is just fantastic. So far the only map that hasn’t come up is Argonne. I love this game though, almost a day of playtime already.

No real winner for consoles this time around. Just go with where you're most comfy.
Unless you plan to upgrade to PS4 Pro :)

Really curious how good that version will look and run. Too bad Sony can't show it due to marketing rights.

The BAR is good; it doesn’t even feel like a lmg. Also, I finally got to play Empire’s Edge. Holy shit that map is just fantastic. So far the only map that hasn’t come up is Argonne. I love this game though, almost a day of playtime already.
Don't forget you can just select maps in the server browser.

Can we talk about the maps a little bit?

Holy hell, these maps are fantastic. Suez is the only one I don't care for. That makes 8 out of 9 maps that I am happy to see pop up at any time. Also, me and my squad that I have been playing Battlefield with for over a decade have been going to 48 player servers with BF3 and BF4 because it seemed like the maps just weren't made for a full 64 player population. Most maps became a clusterfuck, so 48 players felt like the sweet spot. This game, though...These maps were built for 64 players. All but Suez anyway.

People from DICE were in the meeting room, and all agreed that putting 3 flags in a line was good for 64 players. No, DICE. That isn't a good idea and whoever thought it was should feel bad.

Foxxsoxx

Can we talk about the maps a little bit?

Holy hell, these maps are fantastic. Suez is the only one I don't care for. That makes 8 out of 9 maps that I am happy to see pop up at any time. Also, me and my squad that I have been playing Battlefield with for over a decade have been going to 48 player servers with BF3 and BF4 because it seemed like the maps just weren't made for a full 64 player population. Most maps became a clusterfuck, so 48 players felt like the sweet spot. This game, though...These maps were built for 64 players. All but Suez anyway.

People from DICE were in the meeting room, and all agreed that putting 3 flags in a line was good for 64 players. No, DICE. That isn't a good idea and whoever thought it was should feel bad.

They're pretty great maps from a couple days worth of play. I really like how they all play drastically differently from one another. Some are just a liiittleeee too open though.

Nyx

Suez and Fao Fortress are my least fav maps.

They are nowhere near Flood Zone quality though, my personal worst BF map ever.

Suez and Fao Fortress are my least fav maps.

They are nowhere near Flood Zone quality though, my personal worst BF map ever.

Agreed that Flood Zone is the worst BF map ever. By far. We would always find a server that didnt have it in the rotation. Luckily there were many.

Animator

Yea flood zone is the worst bf map hands down.

Suez is the only map I don't care for, every other map ranges from great to amazing.

Suez is pretty fun if neither side can take B. However, what happens most of the time is whoever takes B first just steamrolls the rest of the game. I don't hate the map, but it's definitely my least favorite in BF 1.

Vorheez

Can you check your kd in the soldier tab?

Also, what do you guys find is the best magnification on iron sights? I like 1.50x

Are lag spikes a broader issue than just my net connection? My net seems to be working fine for everything I throw at it right now, but BF1 takes some hard dives at times. I don't really see anyone else's ping go nuts in the games I get into, but I tend to spike into the 300's for 10-15 seconds every few minutes, and it does produce some rubber banding lag.

I switched directly out of my last lag spike over to Gears of War 4 and played Horde Mode just fine with no issues. Nearly went to Overwatch but can't quite say how that would've worked out for sure. Obviously, I think BF1 is throwing around a ton more data with how many things its tracking all at once... But I seem to be a bit isolated in having the issue.

This is on PC/Origin version btw. I admit I don't have the finest net in the world but it generally handles what I toss at it pretty well.

Are lag spikes a broader issue than just my net connection? My net seems to be working fine for everything I throw at it right now, but BF1 takes some hard dives at times. I don't really see anyone else's ping go nuts in the games I get into, but I tend to spike into the 300's for 10-15 seconds every few minutes, and it does produce some rubber banding lag.

I switched directly out of my last lag spike over to Gears of War 4 and played Horde Mode just fine with no issues. Nearly went to Overwatch but can't quite say how that would've worked out for sure. Obviously, I think BF1 is throwing around a ton more data with how many things its tracking all at once... But I seem to be a bit isolated in having the issue.

This is on PC/Origin version btw. I admit I don't have the finest net in the world but it generally handles what I toss at it pretty well.

I get them quite frequently at times. It's weird, some games I have zero issues and other games I'm getting lag spikes every few seconds.

Animator

If I were to rate the maps:

Absolutely amazing, I won't change a thing about them tier:

-Amiens
-Ballroom Blitz
-Argonne Forest
-St Quentins Scar

Love playing them but 1-2 conquest points could be better tier:

-Empires Edge
-Sinai
-Fao Fortress

Not a huge fan but I will still play 1-2 times a day without complaint tier:

-Suez
-Monte Grappa

sTiTcH AU

The VGtech vid stats show. A higher average frames on the xbox and less minimum frames

Also the frame times are seemingly more over the place on the PS4 version. I know the game looks fantastic, but maybe locking it down to 720p/900p would have been better for the multiplayer. Personally I have had no serious issues with the frame rate on the xbox one, but I know many people do.

Theorry

Also the frame times are seemingly more over the place on the PS4 version. I know the game looks fantastic, but maybe locking it down to 720p/900p would have been better for the multiplayer. Personally I have had no serious issues with the frame rate on the xbox one, but I know many people do.

I just have the feeling the dynamic res isnt really working as intended for some reason.

SkylineRKR

The emotion isn't supposed to be with the characters. I felt the emotion from the text before the mission, playing that mission in a place where it actually took place over 100 years ago, and then the text after the mission.

Playing through these stories of actual WWI battles makes me feel. Not for the character I'm playing as, but the war.

The Great War was terrible, but I never learnt much about it. It was all WW2 and Hitler. And that no games and movies cover it doesn't help either. But the trenches, famine etc its was absolutely terrible and it made WW2 inevitable.

Lulu23

I just have the feeling the dynamic res isnt really working as intended for some reason.

My theory is that they're offloading some tasks to the GPU whenever the CPU can't keep up.
It doesn't really make sense that the res would drop when the game runs at a locked 60 if there's only 32 or 40 players in the server. The PS4 only seems to have a problem updating all the player and object info, not with running the graphics engine.

Hopefully the rather big GPU boost of the Pro will allow them to offload more from the CPU.
A locked, or rather more stable, BF at 60fps is all I've wanted since BF4 released on PS4.

Theorry

My theory is that they're offloading some tasks to the GPU whenever the CPU can't keep up.
It doesn't really make sense that the res would drop when the game runs at a locked 60 if there's only 32 or 40 players in the server. The PS4 only seems to have a problem updating all the player and object info, not with running the graphics engine.

Hopefully the rather big GPU boost of the Pro will allow them to offload more from the CPU.
A locked, or rather more stable, BF at 60fps is all I've wanted since BF4 released on PS4.

Well there was a Hardline.:D
That one still runs the best. The lesser graphics probably helped with that.

Lulu23

Well there was a Hardline.:D
That one still runs the best. The lesser graphics probably helped with that.

Lol. Well yeah, Conquest Large was smoother in Hardline, but there was also way less stuff going on (less vehicles, less destruction etc.).

If the same game (BF4 then and BF1 now) runs at 60 fps in 32 players modes, but at 64 players the framerate shits the bed, I really don't see how such a minor CPU upgrade like the Pro will improve the framerate without offloading to the GPU. I can only hope the substantial GPU upgrade will allow DICE to offload a lot more. I'd even prefer they keep in the dynamic res and only focus on getting it stable. Ideal would be 1080/60, but I have to manage my expectations.

I really hope BF6 is themed around WWII. A game set in that era would feel like a step up from BF1 in terms of weapons and technology. Plus, I want to see those battles rendered with this engine. Amiens gives me serious BF1942 vibes. And imagine Operations mode set on Normandy Beach or Iwo Jima...

laaawwwwddddd

xVodevil

I really hope BF6 is themed around WWII. A game set in that era would feel like a step up from BF1 in terms of weapons and technology. Plus, I want to see those battles rendered with this engine. Amiens gives me serious BF1942 vibes. And imagine Operations mode set on Normandy Beach or Iwo Jima...

laaawwwwddddd

Damn that D-day, I bet none'd dare to say "this again..." with this engine, adding shit ton of atmosphere with smokes, fog, lightning etc. I mean I've just played the trial part of the campaing, and damn I don't often drop my jaw, but this took visual ambiance to a whole new level for me, so i dropped it hard!

you should get more/any points for defending the telegraph in rush. I don't mean defusing. I mean killing people when they are near it or you are.

laaawwwwddddd
Battle of Kursk would be amazing.

Maximus P

How to I issue commands if I'm squad leader on Xbox one? I'm a bit of a noob to the battlefield series and there seems to be no tutorial or easy way to figure this out.

Top Bottom