• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

So GAF, I cancelled my preorder after the beta for two reasons. One, I wasn't impressed with the beta. It felt like a mod job of BF4, it didn't feel like a different time period. Too much reliance on automatic weapons, the carrot system still felt too bloated (especially compared to SWBF and BF1943), classes didn't feel like they had a real purpose, tanks were OP, and the framerate chugged in 64 player Conquest.

Reason two was that my wife can give birth anytime between the beginning of December and the beginning of January (twins come between 34 and 38 weeks).

I can't do anything about the second reason, but are any of my concerns about the game itself addressed in the final version of the game?

deoee

So GAF, I cancelled my preorder after the beta for two reasons. One, I wasn't impressed with the beta. It felt like a mod job of BF4, it didn't feel like a different time period. Too much reliance on automatic weapons, the carrot system still felt too bloated (especially compared to SWBF and BF1943), classes didn't feel like they had a real purpose, tanks were OP, and the framerate chugged in 64 player Conquest.

Reason two was that my wife can give birth anytime between the beginning of December and the beginning of January (twins come between 34 and 38 weeks).

I can't do anything about the second reason, but are any of my concerns about the game itself addressed in the final version of the game?

Try the 10h trial and solve your questions by your own judgement :)

Theorry

Very difficult to say really. Atm i like the game alot better then the beta. You are on PC or Xbox maybe? The 10 hour trial could help alot.

Tovarisc

My guess is you won't enjoy BF1 in any way if that is all you got from beta, but like deoee said considering giving 10h trial a spin. It's only 5€.

void666

Banned
I really don't understand the disparities of report about performances on PS4.
I don't have any drops.

If you play huge maps with 64 players there will be fps drops. You may not notice but it's there.
Also people have different thresholds of bad performance. Some won't consider it bad unless it's sub 30 while some will cringe about anything under 60.

I didn't care for the beta, but found the trial to be fun. Congrats on the twins! I actually have a daughter due around Christmas (my first kid). I guess my logic was I should get in some gaming before I get too busy taking care of a newborn.

MaxiLive

Weeee, my best-es-est friend has managed to source me a code so now I can double dip for this and TtianFall 2!

I'm away this weekend but looking forward to jumping in next week, hopefully the matches will still be somewhat forgiving with my low skill level. I always find it tricky jumping into BF due to people being far too good at the game, makes it tricky to even get my bearings.

Try the 10h trial and solve your questions by your own judgement :)

Very difficult to say really. Atm i like the game alot better then the beta. You are on PC or Xbox maybe? The 10 hour trial could help alot.

My guess is you won't enjoy BF1 in any way if that is all you got from beta, but like deoee said considering giving 10h trial a spin. It's only 5€.
PS4. Maybe I'll rent it from Redbox.

Almost all guns in the game are unlocked by default or in a couple levels for purchase with easy to earn war bonds.

The tanks have been toned down and the medic class has more clear HUD elements on screen to indicate that a player is down and can be revived.

At the end of the day, it's a Battlefield game. It's going to play like Battlefield. Anyone who expected DICE to make some slow historically accurate WWI FPS was looking to be disappointed.

mjc

So many goddamn snipers. Playing operations it's like rats scattering to the hills after you take a set of points. I don't remember previous BF games being this sniper heavy.

Ozorov

Over 160K now on PS4 (Can you trust this site? Seems like it shiftes so fast sometimes)

So many goddamn snipers. Playing operations it's like rats scattering to the hills after you take a set of points. I don't remember previous BF games being this sniper heavy.

Depends on the map really. Monte Grappa is very sniper friendly I think. But Argonne Forest is not. For example.

Almost all guns in the game are unlocked by default or in a couple levels for purchase with easy to earn war bonds.

The tanks have been toned down and the medic class has more clear HUD elements on screen to indicate that a player is down and can be revived.

At the end of the day, it's a Battlefield game. It's going to play like Battlefield. Anyone who expected DICE to make some slow historically accurate WWI FPS was looking to be disappointed.
I was just hoping they wouldn't overemphasize automatic weapons. Hell in 1943 they only had one automatic gun (Thompson) and it was only useful at extreme close range. I wanted a game focused on bolt-action rifles, semi-auto rifles, shotguns, and pistols.

Tovarisc

They were. Maps maybe didn't cater as much to long range sniping as BF1's maps do, but snipers were very plentiful.

Shock32

It definitely feels like the maps are very favorable for sniping. There is only one map, Argonne Forest that isn't.

If you play huge maps with 64 players there will be fps drops. You may not notice but it's there.
Also people have different thresholds of bad performance. Some won't consider it bad unless it's sub 30 while some will cringe about anything under 60.

I think it's the difference of criteria, yes. For me bad performance it's stuttering. If there is 2 tanks and 15 players on my screen and my FPS go to 23 for 1 sec i won't notice it, i admit.

bombshell

Over 160K now on PS4 (Can you trust this site? Seems like it shiftes so fast sometimes)

Servers seemed to be down for some an hour ago, so that's why numbers were down. Now people are getting home in EU and it's the real launch day so numbers will rise for the next few hours. PS4 hitting highest peak so far.

Pastry

Banned
The amount of snipers will fall off after a month or so, I feel like this always happens. Also doesn't help that one of the weekly medals is a sniper one.

No offence mate but I've seen you in many threads over the past few months (fallout, Blops3) and I get the impression you hate everything, skip.
I'm not in high school or college anymore and I have to be picky with what I buy, so I don't sweep bullshit under the rug anymore.

Just because elements of games annoy me doesn't mean I can't enjoy them. I'm a fan of the Battlefield franchise, but I'm not going to spend $48 right now if the game has significant issues.

Tabby

Campaign as a whole was enjoyable and certainly better than 3 and 4 but nothing amazing.

Introduction, Friends in High Places, Mud and Blood & Nothing is Written are good. The other two are alright.

They're just way too short so it's hard to really get invested in the characters.

There's a no real diversity in the game play. I like how they opened it up and allowed you to play in whatever you want be it stealth or guns blazing but if you weren't in a vehicle, it was all the same; gameplay wise Nothing is Written is the best mission in the game with Friends in High Places second.

Nodnol

Snipers are a funny thing. I've played Scout pretty much none stop since the start of the trial. Reached Rank 7 before the trial ended.

I played agreeisvely, capped points and fired off flares. Defended flags, controlled choke points etc. I think they're an extremely viable option at being far further up the battlefield than previous games.

Granted there's also the COD "EliteSniperzxXxXx" types that have got lost, but not all us Scouts are bad!

Tovarisc

Not really a fan of Battlefield I take it.

Best Battlefield maps have well combined open areas, enclosed areas and provided variety of cover and approaches across whole map. In BF1 theme seems to be a lot of flat surface with fuck all to take cover behind or to use as cover to advance with few CQB hotspots shotgunned in for lolz. Only very few out of all BF1 maps have good design that covers all points that make for good experience no matter role you pick.

M.W.

Picking up PS4 version today. Also get to move this weekend! I will find time to squeeze in some BF1. What's the name of the GAF BF1 community?

Rad-

I was just hoping they wouldn't overemphasize automatic weapons. Hell in 1943 they only had one automatic gun (Thompson) and it was only useful at extreme close range. I wanted a game focused on bolt-action rifles, semi-auto rifles, shotguns, and pistols.

There's no overemphasis of automatic weapons though. Sure they exist and are good in close range but as far as mid range and long range weapons go, generally single shot rifles are better.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I played agreeisvely, capped points and fired off flares. Defended flags, controlled choke points etc. I think they're an extremely viable option at being far further up the battlefield than previous games.

Not to pick on you (obviously I have no idea how you play), but this is EXACTLY what people THINK they are doing when they pick the sniper class, like they are some one man army who is just doing all this good for the sake of the team. Truth of the matter is, in almost every FPS (obviously in some games, on some maps, in some game modes, there are exceptions), your team would be better served with all these snipers picking another class and helping their squad accomplish objectives. Snipers in FPSs are infuriating (when they are on your team).

It's my #1 complaint in team based, objective based FPSs.

Only very few out of all BF1 maps have good design that covers all points that make for good experience no matter role you pick.

Isn't that how it always is though with BF, since 1942? After a few weeks, everyone seems to focus and enjoy playing on a few select maps.

Operations is great. I'm starting to unlock more guns that I actually enjoy using as well.

I used up my 10 hours just as the full game unlocked yesterday and I still haven't gotten a single Battlepack. Feels bad man. :(

Ozorov

Currently online players

PC: 118,797 (24h peak: 118,797)

XBOXONE: 101,101 (24h peak: 123,893)

PS4: 200,512 (24h peak: 200,512)

Tovarisc

Thompson, Grease Gun, MP40, STG44, Sten, PPSH.... There was plenty full automatic weapons in WW2.

There's no overemphasis of automatic weapons though. Sure they exist and are good in close range but as far as mid range and long range weapons go, generally single shot rifles are better.

You may want to avoid using Assault rank 10 SMG then if you want to maintain illusion about full automatics not dominating everything from close to mid range.

So they rebalanced SMGs and LMGs from the beta to final release? I remember a preponderance of those two weapon types in the beta.

Thompson, Grease Gun, MP40, STG44, Sten, PPSH.... There was plenty full automatic weapons in WW2.

You may want to avoid using Assault rank 10 SMG then if you want to maintain illusion about full automatics not dominating everything from close to mid range.
Right, but the game Battlefield 1943 only had the Thompson and the Japanese equivalent and were balanced to only be effective at very close range, as SMGs (especially early SMGs) should be.

Mahonay

Banned
Operations is great. I'm starting to unlock more guns that I actually enjoy using as well.

I used up my 10 hours just as the full game unlocked yesterday and I still haven't gotten a single Battlepack. Feels bad man. :(
Battlepacks are such a crap shoot. I was playing with a friend for hours yesterday and he got maybe 1, whilst I got 4 or 5.

Currently online players

PC: 118,797 (24h peak: 118,797)

XBOXONE: 101,101 (24h peak: 123,893)

PS4: 200,512 (24h peak: 200,512)

Wonder where the PS4 numbers will cap out, only going to get busier over the next 4 or 5 hours too as people get off work/school in EU/UK, then after that USA comes home.

I'm playing on PC and happy to see big numbers since my last EA game was Battlefront which was DEAD.

Finished the intro and the Friends in High Places story line. They were actually quite good! Colour me impressed!

Waiting for the day one patch to download currently.

Fuck that. Amazon.co.uk shipped on Thursday and told me before the shipping BF1 would be there on Saturday as the latest.

Now it got shipped and the arrival switched to Tuesday ("Arriving on time"). WTF?

Tovarisc

Isn't that how it always is though with BF, since 1942? After a few weeks, everyone seems to focus and enjoy playing on a few select maps.

True. When people can start hosting own servers I expect most of admins drop 2/3rd of BF1 maps from rotation. Scar, Amiens, Argonne and maybe Ballroom will be most popular maps to keep in rotation and maybe only ones.

Rad-

It's amazing up to like 22 meters or so but after that range there are single shot weapons with just as good dps or even better. It's still very good at mid range but it's hardly dominating.

jaaz

True. When people can start hosting own servers I expect most of admins drop 2/3rd of BF1 maps from rotation. Scar, Amiens, Argonne and maybe Ballroom will be most popular maps to keep in rotation and maybe only ones.

In before the 24/7 ARGONNE FOREST UNLIMITED TICKETS NOOBS ONLY XXX servers.

Top Bottom