• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

I honestly do not understand why they do this, or if they don't even realise the problem. It's no fun getting sniped from across the map as it is but not being able to even see players in front of you...now that's some bullshit. One can talk all about realism and camouflage but the point is the best playing games are the ones with easily recognisable enemies. TF2 and Overwatch go to great lengths to make enemy classes recognisable even from their silhouette. Granted the realistic look of the game they probably can't do it here (though Killzone 2 did it very well). Gears does this thing where character models far off start to glow (blue or red, depending on team) and the intensity depends on how far they are from you.

There are no audio cues to easily separate enemies from friendlies , no visual cues to separate enemies from friendlies, and no distinction in character model to make any character (friendlies or enemies) stand out from environment...and the new lighting model just makes it worse.

If I had my way, friendly fire would be turned on and there would be no names above your team. So I strongly disagree. Camouflage is an important mechanic, I guess it's just not for you.

Also, try playing in 4K, I haven't had an issue seeing anybody in front of me.

nOoblet16

latest

It's an issue, my point is it is harder to see enemies in BF than it is in any other game...harder than it should be.

Watch this video and tell me if you were able to tell where the enemy was and if you would have survived that. Now that was BF4, the issue gets worse in BF1 due to the saturate lighting. Basically anything in the shadows is incredibly hard to see.

Distinguishing character models from environment clearly is important in multiplayer games.
For instance, COD despite the similarity in models does two things to alleviate this, it uses bright contrasting colours making the models stand out. The other thing it does is that it puts a bright red tag on top of the enemy this wouldn't work in BF obviously but atleast using bright and contrasting colours will go a long way.

Drewfonse

I honestly do not understand why they do this, or if they don't even realise the problem. It's no fun getting sniped from across the map as it is but not being able to even see players in front of you...now that's some bullshit. One can talk all about realism and camouflage but the point is the best playing games are the ones with easily recognisable enemies. TF2 and Overwatch go to great lengths to make enemy classes recognisable even from their silhouette. Granted the realistic look of the game they probably can't do it here (though Killzone 2 did it very well). Gears does this thing where character models far off start to glow (blue or red, depending on team) and the intensity depends on how far they are from you.

There are no audio cues to easily separate enemies from friendlies , no visual cues to separate enemies from friendlies, and no distinction in character model to make any character (friendlies or enemies) stand out from environment...and the new lighting model just makes it worse.

I agree with this

nOoblet16

If I had my way, friendly fire would be turned on and there would be no names above your team. So I strongly disagree. Camouflage is an important mechanic, I guess it's just not for you.

Also, try playing in 4K, I haven't had an issue seeing anybody in front of me.

Well then it's a good thing you don't get your way. I do not for a second think it was DICE's intention to have camouflage as a mechanic in this game, if it were then using wrong camouflage would have negative consequences and you'd be required to adapt to the environment and select the appropriate camoflage...clearly that is not the case here and camouflage itself is irrelevant. And I've mentioned right in the post that you quoted:
One can talk all about realism and camouflage but the point is the best playing games are the ones with easily recognisable enemies.

I've been playing Battlefield since 2142 and this has been a known and well voiced issue since forever, and has only gotten worse with time due to advances in graphics. The Bad Company games were better in this area somewhat due to contrasting colours but it got worse with later games primarily due to the lighting, and much worse here due to even more saturated lighting.

And try playing in 4K? Not only are you assuming my platform of choice you are also assuming I have the hardware to run at 4K and the hardware to make use of 4K. And even then, this is an issue with colours, not enemies being too small and there not being enough pixel information.

Agree completely. Even in Red Orchestra both sides have unique animations an silhouettes. Everyone moves the same so I've been caught plenty of times having to guess friendly or enemy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Watch this video and tell me if you were able to tell where the enemy was and if you would have survived that. Now that was BF4, the issue gets worse in BF1 due to the saturate lighting. Basically anything in the shadows is incredibly hard to see.

...That's due to prone and shadows. You can do a similar thing in (using your example) Call of Duty by camping prone in a corner and players will walk right past you if they don't notice your gun model sticking out (or you moving/twitching) due to players thinking you're a dead body. You're right in that shadows blend (in your example video) that player. As it damn well should.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have no real issue with character silhouettes and to me the spotting feature is integral to balancing the ability to see opponents. The lack of audio cues distinguishing friend from foe is part of this. If you dislike it, fine. But I really think you're playing the wrong game if you're expecting otherwise.

Patience and spotting should be corner stones of strategy.

Well then it's a good thing you don't get your way. I do not for a second think it was DICE's intention to have camouflage as a mechanic in this game, if it were then using wrong camouflage would have negative consequences and you'd be required to adapt to the environment and select the appropriate camoflage...clearly that is not the case here and camouflage itself is irrelevant. And I've mentioned right in the post that you quoted:

I've been playing Battlefield since 2142 and this has been a known and well voiced issue since forever, and has only gotten worse with time due to advances in graphics. The Bad Company games were better in this area somewhat due to contrasting colours but it got worse with later games primarily due to the lighting, and much worse here due to even more saturated lighting.

And try playing in 4K? Not only are you assuming my platform of choice you are also assuming I have the hardware to run at 4K and the hardware to make use of 4K. And even then, this is an issue with colours, not enemies being too small and there not being enough pixel information.

If it has been happening since 2142, don't you think it is just the way they want it? And some of us are fine with it and others who aren't should play something else?

I agree and disagree with the poster above that mentions Red Orchestra, yes the uniforms are different and the Russian and German troops move differently but there are still many opportunities to camouflage yourself.

I have played BF since 1942,and never had this issue. I think they have gone too far in some aspects to cater to a certain crowd (like the glint from scopes). Maybe because I have played so much Arma and Red Orchestra I'm used to being punished a lot for not taking my time and being aware of the surroundings?

I just don't like it being toned down and made more user friendly than it already was in BF2.

Also, sorry. I thought you were playing on PC.

Ozorov

It's an issue, my point is it is harder to see enemies in BF than it is in any other game...harder than it should be.

Distinguishing character models from environment clearly is important in multiplayer games.
For instance, COD despite the similarity in models does two things to alleviate this, it uses bright contrasting colours making the models stand out. The other thing it does is that it puts a bright red tag on top of the enemy this wouldn't work in BF obviously but atleast using bright and contrasting colours will go a long way.
Fair point. I personally don't have any problem with it, sure sometimes I've been killed by a enemy I didn't see who was hiding. But that's fair I think.

hydruxo

Not feeling the single player so far. I was expecting chaos but all I'm getting is stealth sections.

I've been enjoying the stories/cutscenes, but the gameplay sections themselves have been lacking. The Runner is a good example of this. I liked the concept of the story and that final cutscene
of him sitting on the ramparts as the artillery comes down
, but the gameplay itself in that campaign was underwhelming.

meppi

So how stable have the game and the servers been? Because of Battlefield's past launch issues, I'm just waiting until I hear the good word about it.

The game is fine from the start.
Sure there are a couple of kinks that you might encounter with menus bugging out and the HUD disappearing, but it's very rare and nothing major at this point.

BF4 was pure garbage when it launched and never fully recovered.
BF1 seems to be doing very well from the very beginning.

Oh, I'd like to have some more people to play with as I'm going to be playing this a lot more than BF4 from the looks of it. I only put 500 hours into BF4 MP and that's not a lot for a BF game.

PSN: meppi64

Ozorov

Currently online players

PC: 154,076 (24h peak: 171,382)

XBOXONE: 139,789 (24h peak: 248,449)

PS4: 301,979 (24h peak: 301,979)

Total: 595,844

Over 300K. Boom

Xater

It's going exactly like I predicted whenever I saw someone post that rubbish. The EA Access trials skew the numbers towards Xbox a lot in the first couple days as now seen with 3 games.

I mean you must be delusional to think that considering the PS4 install base is like double of what the Xbone one is.

nOoblet16

I have no real issue with character silhouettes and to me the spotting feature is integral to balancing the ability to see opponents. The lack of audio cues distinguishing friend from foe is part of this. If you dislike it, fine. But I really think you're playing the wrong game if you're expecting otherwise.

Patience and spotting should be corner stones of strategy.
Yea but majority of other players don't spot so even if I want to rely on it, I can't.

NHale

Well so much for the Xbox being the new home of BF. lol

To be fair this is probably the period where you should have the biggest difference between PS4/XB1. Most of NA is sleeping, EU is early afternoon. The peak should in the next 6-7 hours (early evening in EU/afternoon NA), and North American numbers are more even between consoles than what is showing right now (heavily EU influenced) so numbers will be higher but difference in % will be smaller.

Although it still doesn't justify what some tried to push regarding numbers being different in this game posting numbers when they suited their agenda, which was just silly because if you look at every DICE game stats during the 1st year and we saw an almost consistent 2:1 peak difference between PS4/XB1. Why would this be any different? XB1 Bundles will definitely help but at the same there are unofficial store PS4 bundles with Battlefield included.

In the end the 3 versions will have a very healthy community, nobody should be worried about the community dying anytime soon.

What I find more interesting and more relevant is that BF3, BF4 and BFH last night (late night in EU/early evening US) showed a 2:1 PS3 lead compared to X360. Did the bigger X360 community migrated to new consoles quicker than the smaller PS3 community? Is there any studies from research companies about last gen migration?

What in the actual fuck?

Are the class ranks bugged like in the beta? I've been playing mostly scout, I'm level 9 and still level 1 class. Is this normal or is it the same bug as the beta? Ps4 btw

What's your playstyle? If you're contributing to the team and playing the scout how you should be you should be a few levels behind your rank imo. For example, I'm rank 15 and my support is about to hit level 12. But I usually get about 70-80 resupplies a map, repair vehicles and lay down suppressing fire.

The field guns are capable of indirect fire. I was taking pot shots at the airship with one; I never managed to hit the blimp, but I did kill someone on the ground and injured a few others halfway across the map.

meppi

It's going exactly like I predicted whenever I saw someone post that rubbish. The EA Access trials skew the numbers towards Xbox a lot in the first couple days as now seen with 3 games.

It made no sense whatsoever, comparing the amount of people that bought the early enlister version on PS4 to that plus everybody that got to play the early access version combined on Xbox. And then concluding that the series fanbase had massively switched sides because EA was now in bed with Microsoft.

Feels about the same as Bad Company 2 to me. Which was more hectic than the last couple of games.

Same here. It's not like it's a sequel to BC2, but it certainly feels a lot closer to it than it does to BF4, from the variety of maps to how battles seem to come together.
Very glad it's a lot different than BF3 and 4.

zorbsie

Is there a list of XB1 players? I seem to always get stuck with 3 snipers that have no intention of moving toward the objective. I feel like I'm the only one going forward and then have to spawn back on a mountain side where these snipers have set up camp. Every time I do that, I always drop a gas grenade on them. They don't get the hint. :)

Xater

Is there a list of XB1 players? I seem to always get stuck with 3 snipers that have no intention of moving toward the objective. I feel like I'm the only one going forward and then have to spawn back on a mountain side where these snipers have set up camp. Every time I do that, I always drop a gas grenade on them. They don't get the hint. :)

There is a Google doc in the OP. The tabs for the different platforms are at the bottom of it. I'll play with you Zorbsie. ;)

bombshell

Lets wait until the majority of America wakes up.

We're now on 5-6 hours minimum where PS4 has shown over 2:1 difference. Those numbers add up to a very big difference and even with Xbox One expectedly getting much closer in like 4-6 hours from now does not change the fact that much more copies have been sold on PS4. If you want to analyze a total of players, you should not be looking at a single time of the day.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm ConsumeProgeny on Origin. Feel free to add me. But I'm in Australia so if you're outside of that region we won't be playing together.

BF1 is quite a bit more hectic than BF4. Either you are in territory of flatness being sniped at or in CQB hotspot where shit goes apeshit hectic.

That's one of the things that strike me, too.
The spawns are somewhat weird. Either there's nobody, it's in the middle of a huge battle or you get put next to the nearest enemy who shoots you in the back..

Calion

Dammit Meppi, I switched over to PC from PS for my Battlefield games or I would squad up with you like we did back in the BC2 days

mjc

I can see where the complaints about blending enemies comes from, but I have other problems with this game. (Which may just be me.) Way, way too many snipers and a sense of even stepping an inch into open space gets you killed. It's very discouraging, and I don't consider myself to be bad at FPS.

Xater

I am surprised there are so many snipers, but maybe that's just because I am more terrible as scout than I ever was in any other BF. Playing that class is a chore to me. I at aleast want to get the class to lvl 2 though...

Yup, thats what Im leaning towards. But forget any range with assault which is weird.

Assault has been really reworked for this game. You are more of a close quarters fighter with anti vehicle options. Medic and Support are actually quite better at longer ranges.

SaganIsGOAT

It may have been answered already but I want to try the game on Xbox one. If I do the $5 EA Access sub will I get access to the preview of BF1?

EatChildren

I wonder if the sniper problem is more prevalent on consoles than PC. And I'd assume it'd be the opposite, but I don't really have an issue with snipers. Some maps are more sniper heavy than others. And obviously yes I do get the odd one-shot-kill out of nowhere (especially since sniping is easier than ever), but I'm yet to find it invasive.

I do hope people are playing their class properly. If you're running over gigantic stretches of hot, open terrain as support or assault then yeah...of course you're probably going to be popped by encamped scouts and medics. Stick to cover, and if there isn't any change your class or try different flag spots to spawn.

Sniping is definitely easier though due to reduced ballistic drop. If I can snap five headshots in a row in the span of 10 or so seconds then it's definitely been made easier, because I've always been shitty as a sniper in BF3 and BF4.

Assault has been really reworked for this game. You are more of a close quarters fighter with anti vehicle options. Medic and Support are actually quite better at longer ranges.

That telescopic BAR is amazing.

I wonder if the sniper problem is more prevalent on consoles than PC. And I'd assume it'd be the opposite, but I don't really have an issue with snipers. Some maps are more sniper heavy than others. And obviously yes I do get the odd one-shot-kill out of nowhere (especially since sniping is easier than ever), but I'm yet to find it invasive.

I do hope people are playing their class properly. If you're running over gigantic stretches of hot, open terrain as support or assault then yeah...of course you're probably going to be popped by encamped scouts and medics. Stick to cover, and if there isn't any change your class or try different flag spots to spawn.

Sniping is definitely easier though due to reduced ballistic drop. If I can snap five headshots in a row in the span of 10 or so seconds then it's definitely been made easier, because I've always been shitty as a sniper in BF3 and BF4.

I agree 110%. Nice post.

Muddimar

Anyone else encounter the bug where you get medic rezzed and your gun won't show you firing bullets, bullets won't come out, but your ammo count drops with each shot you take? Seems to correct itself when you rez normally, but it's really frustrating. Maybe I'm the only one... I thought my gun jammed or something until I saw the ammo count dropping lol.

My first reaction aim is all over the first place right now. First BF game where I've had to fiddle with the sensitivy. Anyone have a good idea as to what my numbers should be?

Top Bottom