• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

bjscott05

Looks like the 360 tweet was a little premature.

fake edit: seems like most problems on console are from going prone? doesn't surprise me considering the engine wasn't a prone enabled engine to begin with.... there was no prone in bfbc 1 or 2

mr_nothin said:
Hopefully they work out the freakin clipping issues!

Yeah that shaking is horrible when you're running half through the ground, and when someone is underground and shooting you invincibly... even worse.

But - is that a server side thing?

demolitio

It's weird but I almost like the decision of only having the cannon in the beginning for the jets and then you have to choose your armament later on. It creates a more intimate dogfighting experience with lots of tricks being pulled while AA units are firing at you all at the same time. Now mix in missiles and bombs and then you can have jets designed for specific roles where one F-18 will be A/A and the other will focus on A/G while cover them. I can't wait to see the A-10 and see what that adds to the mix.

Fucking unreal this game is. It's a mix of all the good things from BF2 and all the good things from the BC series while adding more on top of that to make it even bigger and more authentic. The sounds alone are amazing, especially hearing your pilot going through a high G turn. Then when you bail out, it's like a peaceful moment before returning to hell.

Speaking of which, anyone have any trouble when you bailed out of your jet at high altitudes? It said I needed to return to the battle and then suicided me like I was way off course when I was right above the tower.

Valnen said:
It's a beta. Beta tests generally have bugs, yeah?

I hope it's a beta but with 3 weeks before release I'm not too optimistic. This game has a LOT of issues.

Bugs I've encountered in my 45 minutes with the game:

- Ground clipping

-Blue tint covering the entirety of my screen after pausing the game

-Unable to pull up iron sights after respawning

-Spawning inside of geometry after spawning on squad and not being able to suicide in order to respawn

-Game freezes every time that I've tried to quit out to the main menu

-Party being put on different teams once we got into a game together

Kahoona

demolitio said:
It's weird but I almost like the decision of only having the cannon in the beginning for the jets and then you have to choose your armament later on. It creates a more intimate dogfighting experience with lots of tricks being pulled while AA units are firing at you all at the same time. Now mix in missiles and bombs and then you can have jets designed for specific roles where one F-18 will be A/A and the other will focus on A/G while cover them. I can't wait to see the A-10 and see what that adds to the mix.
It may be fun dogfighting now, but when people level up and actually get the missiles...it's going to be miserable trying to level up jets from the beginning.

My Beta is about to finish downloading. I'm kinda excited to try it, but it sounds like the Beta is in rough shape, so I'm also kinda not excited haha.

I hope the gameplay is at least decent.

Jtrizzy

For those playing on console disappointed by Metro, trust me I agree. Wait till you play Caspian Border though, it is amazing.

I hope by the time the final game gets released, the netcode receives a major overhaul because this game is pissing me off. Just like bc2 there's this annoying hit registration delay. Whenever I initiate the firefight where my shots produce multiple hit indicator flashes, the enemy often gets to drop me in fewer hits . Then when it shows the guy on the killcam it says he has 100% health or only 1 of my shots seem to have registered. Most of my shots are either on the upper torso or head so it doesn't make sense how the guy is still standing while I'm the who is dead.

Hanmik

Any news on when BF3 lands on PSN for us Europe guys..? because I´m sure it will be LATE..

id7tS.jpg

thsi is from Sony´s Danish Facebook site... it says..

There will be maintenance of PSN tomorrow Thursday from. 18.00 pm. to 22 pm. We regret this in the strongest ..

that is 17-21 in the UK..

J-Rzez

Got to try it out on PC. Looks gorgeous, when you're not experiencing these glitches, and man are they rampant. I'm utterly shocked to see that many so close to release. These shakes from clipping is crazy along with the random "white flashes", first time I ever actually started to feel sick and got a headache when playing a game. I can't believe they let this version out for "open beta". It doesn't matter if it's "beta", I'm sure many people are going to be skeptical with launch so close.

And it seems from what I read that the consoles are no better.

Moaradin

GeneralIroh said:
I hope by the time the final game gets released, the netcode receives a major overhaul because this game is pissing me off. Just like bc2 there's this annoying hit registration delay. Whenever I initiate the firefight where my shots produce multiple hit indicator flashes, the enemy often gets to drop me in fewer hits . Then when it shows the guy on the killcam it says he has 100% health or only 1 of my shots seem to have registered. Most of my shots are either on the upper torso or head so it doesn't make sense how the guy is still standing while I'm the who is dead.

Not sure what game you are playing, but the netcode is great imo.

demolitio

Kahoona said:
It may be fun dogfighting now, but when people level up and actually get the missiles...it's going to be miserable trying to level up jets from the beginning.
That I do agree with. A decent baseline option should be available but I don't see it being too annoying on PC as long as the first unlock doesn't take too long because these jets can always get kills on ground targets as it is so they don't need to dogfight. So they could be support on a Rush map where the Attackers have the advantage and more at their disposal in the beginning.

But right now, I didn't have missiles at all and the other jet did but I could still shake him and kill him with just a few basic maneuvers. It shouldn't be that hard and new people will just need to learn to fly first anyway since they wreck them constantly right now anyway, lol.

Maybe it'll scare people off from camping the runway so it could be a good thing in a way. It might be the novelty of the private servers with new people always trying to get in, but there's constantly 5+ people chilling on the runway with a lot more in most of my matches so far.

Enkidu

Jtrizzy said:
For those playing on console disappointed by Metro, trust me I agree. Wait till you play Caspian Border though, it is amazing.
It remains to be seen how awesome it will be on consoles though. With only 24 players and a smaller map, it might not be as fun anymore. Can't be worse than Metro though...

mr_nothin

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
Yeah that shaking is horrible when you're running half through the ground, and when someone is underground and shooting you invincibly... even worse.

But - is that a server side thing?
Has to be. It's on 99% of the servers out there and there was no update (origin "update" wasnt an update) since the last battlelog update.

Moaradin

demolitio said:
Maybe it'll scare people off from camping the runway so it could be a good thing in a way. It might be the novelty of the private servers with new people always trying to get in, but there's constantly 5+ people chilling on the runway with a lot more in most of my matches so far.

Man I cant wait to do bomb runs on that runway. Should be a multikill every time.

stufte

You guys need to stop worrying about all the bugs, report them and move on. They have about a month to get a patch (or 2) ready for release. I have full confidence.

mr_nothin

Banned
GeneralIroh said:
What sucks is that it wasnt present in the 1st half of the Alpha. It didnt start doing that until half way through the alpha. 1st half of Alpha was AMAZING in terms of netcode/hit registration and detection. Now, I get killed a whole second or 2 right after im fully prone behind a wall/rock. Also get hit behind/through rocks while im backing away from gunfire. I HATE it

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, the hit registration took a turn for the worse halfway through the alpha and now it's just pure shit, sometimes BC2 levels.

Absoludacrous said:
I have never in my life seen a beta this glitchy, this close to release.

I mean it's still fun when you get past all that, but damnnnnnn.

Wasn't BC2 more glitchy in the beta and turned out relatively fine at retail? So there, now you've heard of one.

mr_nothin

Banned
Sethos said:
Yeah, the hit registration took a turn for the worse halfway through the alpha and now it's just pure shit, sometimes BC2 levels.
I've emptied a full clip into someone, without hitting them once and without a single hit marker, on 3 separate occasions in the beta. That never happened in the Alpha :/

bluerei said:
You guys think a delay would be unthinkable right now, or you think EA would do it knowing the current problems it has right now?

Highly doubt it. Im sure they would skin Unicorns and sacrifice Interns to Satan himself before they would miss that Oct. 25th date.

mr_nothin said:
I've emptied a full clip into someone, without hitting them once and without a single hit marker, on 3 separate occasions in the beta.
Welcome to playing video games over the internet. It's going to happen every once in a while.

Tallshortman said:
Wasn't BC2 more glitchy in the beta and turned out relatively fine at retail? So there, now you've heard of one.

BC2 didn't have these kinds of glitches. I still have faith they're not going to ship a game like this. I don't think anyone can get away with shipping a AAA game in this shape.

Absoludacrous said:
BC2 didn't have these kinds of glitches. I still have faith they're not going to ship a game like this. I don't think anyone can get away with shipping a AAA game in this shape.

Are you talking about BC2 beta not having these glitches or BC2?

demolitio

Pookaki said:
hallelujah
I'm not sure it's good news still though. You have to rely on a teammate marking a target for you with the SOFLAM which might be difficult unless you get some cooperative buddies in there. Basically any class would have been able to spot a tank for the jet and the jet could drop dummy bombs on there for close air support but you can't do that anymore and have to rely on a certain class to help you out.

Yes, I know ground troops might not like it but that's the point of air superiority so I wish they'd have it as a specialization and it takes minutes for the bombs to reload. Either that or the A-10 better be able to wreck some vehicles with its cannon since it's supposed to be the CAS jet ingame.

So yea, I kind of understand but still don't think I like it. At least give the A-10 the option for dummy bombs to use since its whole point in the game is for ground support.

Oh man do I hope the 30mm on the A-10 will slow the plane down when you fire it. A few flight sims do that but BF3 seems to have a lot of authentic effects and that'd be awesome to see and it doesn't really affect gameplay since it's easy to speed up again. But prolonged fire of the cannon could stall you basically.

gillFTR

Kahoona said:

Like I said earlier dogfighting is already stupid with all the stinger missiles coming at you.

Top Bottom