• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Just finished downloading/installing, went into server filter and saw this. Apparently Caspian Border is selectable as a map preference now. Don't know whether this is new.

mapsgo4h.png

Has anyone in Europe been able to get into the Origin Store? I haven't been able to get in at all the last 2 hours. No message or anything, it's just a blank screen.

FyreWulff said:
Reach and 3 were actual betas.

Crysis 2 and Blur were just early demos.

My point was that 1st party betas, where the developer is only developing for 1 sole platform, are going to appear more polished then a beta multiplatform game.

Garrus Vakarian said:
Just finished downloading/installing, went into server filter and saw this. Apparently Caspian Border is selectable as a map preference now. Don't know whether this is new.

mapsgo4h.png

Has been this way since the closed beta started. Caspian Border matches are just password protected.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Garrus Vakarian said:

mapsgo4h.png

been that way since the beta launched

ii Stryker said:
This is a true beta. Bugs and glitches are to be expected and with the MP HD asset install on the 360 I'd say graphics aren't final either.

MS has misused the term beta starting with Halo 3 and spanning through Reach and Gears 3. Those "betas" were more or less glorified demos.

What is a true beta going to accomplish when its released like a week before the game has to go gold. They should have launched this 3-6 months ago. I feel like a lot of people they are trying to draw in are going to say, what's all the hype about.

BigAT

Is it not possible to rebind key and mouse buttons in the beta? I was just in game for the first time and it wouldn't let me.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Servers are a mess just now, keep getting kicked mid-round, would be nice if it allowed me to connect to the last server I was on.

I can't get a single freaking kill in the jet because it seems everyone else already has missiles and flares...

Also it's incredibly hard to just out maneuver someone, definitely alot harder then in BF2.

Heysoos

Metalmurphy said:
I can't get a single freaking kill in the jet because it seems everyone else already has missiles and flares...

Also it's incredibly hard to just out maneuver someone, definitely alot harder then in BF2.

When I was able to snag a jet yesterday, I flew it with my 360 controller. It was pretty much perfect. Maneuvers were made easy, at least for me, with my control. Won 2 jet dog fights, then my plane just exploded and didn't show what killed me. It just came up blank when it showed the kill screen.

CozMick

Banned
See You Next Wednesday said:
REALLY? From the PS3 videos I seen on youtube, it looked worse then the 360. Especially with the V-Sync.
Imho it doesn't even look half as good as Resistance 3, let alone the Killzone games.

I had the chance to play both side by side this morning, sure on 2 different models of hdtv but they are exactly the same.

textures, lighting, the horrible HORRIBLE tearing, all the same.

But you are right about the looks, it doesn't even compare to R3 and KZ3.

Heysoos said:
When I was able to snag a jet yesterday, I flew it with my 360 controller. It was pretty much perfect. Maneuvers were made easy, at least for me, with my control. Won 2 jet dog fights, then my plane just exploded and didn't show what killed me. It just came up blank when it showed the kill screen.

Exactly, manoeuvres are easy, and that's why you can't actually out manoeuvres anyone. If you get behind someone or vice versa, it's over. So annoying.

Spl1nter

shagg_187 said:
Try it out today. You'll understand.

As long as he is not falling through the floors :(

Servers were playing perfectly lag free and than started getting worse and worse. Damn all you people downloading the beta.

You guys are high if you don't think you're playing with final graphics and animations, there's very little chance of a drastic change there in the final month.

J-Rzez

Hmm, still not up on the NA PSN. This is the one thing that pisses me off about the PSN, that they're so slow. They get this stuff up whenever they get around to it when they feel like it. If I DL the EU beta, it'll hook me up with the EU servers only I take it?

Marco1

Loving this on PC and after playing xbox360 version, never has a game made me think that next gen has to come out more than this game.

Broadbandito said:
What is a true beta going to accomplish when its released like a week before the game has to go gold. They should have launched this 3-6 months ago. I feel like a lot of people they are trying to draw in are going to say, what's all the hype about.

With regards to consoles, certification takes weeks and within those weeks DICE continues to optimize and crush bugs. The build we're playing isn't the same build they have in their office today, it could be over a month old already.

ii Stryker said:
With regards to consoles, certification takes weeks and within those weeks DICE continues to optimize and crush bugs. The build we're playing isn't the same build they have in their office today, it could be over a month old already.

I hope everyone could read and understand this ^^^, the build we have is most likely very very old. Still based on history alone BF3 will have a rocky launch, it will get better with time though.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
More than that I hope you can throw the grenades farther than 100 feet. I could throw a grenade almost triple that, and this is a game.
You can throw a grenade the length of a football field? Well done Manning.

Ubersnug

zephervack said:
I hope everyone could read and understand this ^^^, the build we have is most likely very very old. Still based on history alone BF3 will have a rocky launch, it will get better with time though.

Most Joe public wont understand that and they will view this as a demo of the finished version.

Personally, playing it on the 360, I like what I'm seeing and playing - no real complaints other than the bugs and glitches everyone already knows about.

doctordoak said:
You can throw a grenade the length of a football field? Well done Manning.

I said "almost", probably more like 225 to 250...I do have a good arm though. I'm just saying, in COD the grenades feel a lot more useful.

Edit: the world record for a baseball being thrown in a game is 445 feet, so a football field is not entirely unreasonable. And like I said its a video game, grenades should be useful at a distance, in my opinion.

Blackface

Banned
PC beta stuck at connecting and will not connect to a server. Awesome. Also launching from the web is stupid as hell.

EA is fucking sad.

Top Bottom