• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

MNC

MNC said:
Can someone help me?

Ever since the "update", I can't boot Battlefield. I start BF3 through origin, go through BattleLog, join a server, I see BF3 icon pop up for a second, then goes away. The process starts, then closes. The only thing I did before hand was change my settings in an ini file, and I put those back. I reinstalled BF3 4 times, rebooted my laptop, it still keeps on being stuck.

Still have this problem. It's like some files are missing.

Saw it's out on XBLA & tried it out. Didn't experience any V-sync problems & nowhere the glitches from some videos being posted (the sprint & ADS plain stop working a few times), BUT the game looked felt like Bad Company 2 in almost every way.

Pretty disappointed that they make a new engine & that's all they got to show for it.

Menelaus

Banned
Vasilisk said:
Anyone has problems with Battlelog and Firefox 7.0? In the server browser screen I can tick/untick the option and the "View Servers" button doesn't respond, I think its a problem of a plugin or something, I updated both Firefox and the Battlelog..
Nope, works fine. Like you said, probably a plugin.

of course i'm using chrome to play caspian anyways, so moot point

sk3tch

MNC said:
Still have this problem. It's like some files are missing.

Try running files as admin? Turn off AV? Otherwise, may be time to contact EA support. They have a twitter account that seems to be pretty responsive.

FinKL

after 10 mins of trying to join a server, i think I joined one, but it didnt load because my nvidia drivers were out of date FUUUUUUU

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damnit, I totally forgot that this was coming today, could have queued it up on the 360 before I left this morning.

Sucks that there will be no vehicles to test, but I'll still definitely give it a shot to see if I should pick this up - got my hands full with Gears 3, and I'm reaching the point where I just want to have one full-time shooter in my gaming instead of 2 or 3, even if I've been playing those series from the beginning.

Menelaus

Banned
See You Next Wednesday said:
Pretty disappointed that they make a new engine & that's all they got to show for it.
The console and PC versions aren't comparable. Xbox and PS3 are getting table scraps.
FinKL said:
after 10 mins of trying to join a server, i think I joined one, but it didnt load because my nvidia drivers were out of date FUUUUUUU
should have read the OP!

Origin network could not be reached. :(

Guess I'll try the 360 version before I have to go. Except I have no idea where in the marketplace it is. Ugh.

Skilotonn said:
Damnit, I totally forgot that this was coming today, could have queued it up on the 360 before I left this morning.

Sucks that there will be no vehicles to test, but I'll still definitely give it a shot to see if I should pick this up - got my hands full with Gears 3, and I'm reaching the point where I just want to have one full-time shooter in my gaming instead of 2 or 3, even if I've been playing those series from the beginning.

I'm actually bummed I didn't get to play Gears 3 last night & instead played BF3.
The game is no graphics beast AT ALL on the consoles, MW2 smokes it in graphics. The controls & guns also all feel identical to Bad Company 1 & 2.

Naxx

How long does it to join a server....I have been waiting for 15mins now, and it still saying Joining server. It opened something the first few secs but closed it (i thought I saw Lauching in the name), but nothing happend.

Anyone know if it's my laptop or because of all the people trying.

PS, it's still "Joining Server".

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
FinKL said:
Well it shouldn't take too long to DL them with your fast ISP right?!?!?!!?!?!

Try 300k/sec speed buddy lol

I went from 2.5mb a sec real time speed to 300k, feels bad man ><

zomaha

Menelaus said:
The console and PC versions aren't comparable. Xbox and PS3 are getting table scraps.

should have read the OP!

I'm thinking we've hit the limit with these consoles. How much more juice can be squeezed from 6-year-old hardware?

Shtof

Tried the demo on PS3 just now, was surprised by how good the graphics look in the metro map. Wonder why there's no Move support? I'm getting pretty tired of the old thumbsticks.

.nimrod

Disabling air vehicles kinda sucks, i would've gotten so many kills but jets and choppers mostly just tumble down, crash and i don't get the kill :/

Menelaus said:

should have read the OP!

Very True, but with the Crysis port, developers have shown they could make very high quality ports to the consoles while working with the limitations.

BF3 was disappointing on all fronts. Terrible flickering image quality, more jaggy than most 360 games, inconstant framerate, slowdowns, really ugly textures, some of the reflective mapping flat throughout the subway seems to be not implemented from the PC etc...

I have the open beta installed and ready on Origin, but I can't log in to Battlelog. It keeps telling me my account is not allowed to login to the site. It worked for me in the Alpha but now it's not when the beta is open to all. I'm so glad DICE got rid of a standard main menu so that we can get to log in to a website to play the game.

Rainy Dog

Evolved1 said:
This shit keeps locking up my PS3. :/

Didn't BFBC2 lock up your PS3 on quite a few occasions Evolved? Did it to me quite regularly.

I think it's something to do with the EA servers. Happens to me mostly when it's trying to save at a random point during a match. Don't know why DICE has to have the game save during a match. It sometimes pauses to save for about 5 seconds at the most unopportunistic times in this beta...

Shtof said:
Tried the demo on PS3 just now, was surprised by how good the graphics look in the metro map. Wonder why there's no Move support? I'm getting pretty tired of the old thumbsticks.

REALLY? From the PS3 videos I seen on youtube, it looked worse then the 360. Especially with the V-Sync.
Imho it doesn't even look half as good as Resistance 3, let alone the Killzone games.

Ikuu said:
The flashlight has to be one of the dumbest things they've added to the game.

How does it work? A few people in my game kept trying to figure out how it is enabled.

I also only seen it on Snipers during the tunnels? Maybe it's a balance thing?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm actually bummed I didn't get to play Gears 3 last night & instead played BF3.
The game is no graphics beast AT ALL on the consoles, MW2 smokes it in graphics. The controls & guns also all feel identical to Bad Company 1 & 2.

I've already got the idea that it doesn't look like a huge leap from Bad Company 2 at all, I just have to actually try it out myself. I definitely enjoyed BC2 and destroyed people in it, just not enough to stick to it full-time like I did back in the day on PC with BF1942 & BF2.

Gonna test it out this evening to see if it's worth it - I was watching some streams and the fun atleast looks to be there gunplay-wise...

sk3tch

Menelaus said:

I dunno. The gfx are disappointing but they're not that bad compared to the PC beta. I'm just happy to be able to use a controller.

Now, once the retail PC release is out that will change...but the controller is still an option I wish was viable on the PC side (yeah, you can use it...but without the "help" they put in on the console side it's a pretty big disadvantage).

I'm not slummin' it on the PC side either (580 SLI).

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
How does it work? A few people in my game kept trying to figure out how it is enabled.

I also only seen it on Snipers during the tunnels? Maybe it's a balance thing?
Press T to turn it on and off, in the dark in pretty much completely blinds you, think it works pretty well outside also.

Firebrand

Not a fan of this launch-from-browser interface, and having to install plugins just to play.

But yeah. Not surprised to see it's nearly unplayable on E8500 / GTX260. :p

Also funny / annoying that I'm trying to change my settings and everytime someone kills me I get booted out of the menus just to get a close-up of my killer.

Rainy Dog

BUT the game looked felt like Bad Company 2 in almost every way.

Can I ask when you last played BFBC2? For better or for worse, BF3 looks and feels nothing like it. The main talking point between some of the guys on my friends list that have put 500 hours+ into BFBC2 is just how different it is. If anything, the gunplay feels more like MOH but with much more recoil and detailed weapon handling characteristics.

Rainy Dog said:
Can I ask when you last played BFBC2? For better or for worse, BF3 looks and feels nothing like it. The main talking point between some of the guys on my friends list that have put 500 hours+ into BFBC2 is just how different it is. If anything, the gunplay feels more like MOH but with much more recoil and detailed weapon handling characteristics.

Played BC2 about 4 days ago.
This game has some real time lighting, better character models, vault animations & maybe more recoil on the starting beta guns (haven't unlocked all the recoil suppressing attachments yet).

That's pretty much what I saw it having over Bad Company 2.

Enron

Banned
is anyone else having trouble joining servers? Game manager just says "joining server..." for forever. Either that, or I get "Server is changing map" over and over.

Very True, but with the Crysis port, developers have shown they could make very high quality ports to the consoles while working with the limitations.

BF3 was disappointing on all fronts. Terrible flickering image quality, more jaggy than most 360 games, inconstant framerate, slowdowns, really ugly textures, some of the reflective mapping flat throughout the subway seems to be not implemented from the PC etc...

This is a true beta. Bugs and glitches are to be expected and with the MP HD asset install on the 360 I'd say graphics aren't final either.

MS has misused the term beta starting with Halo 3 and spanning through Reach and Gears 3. Those "betas" were more or less glorified demos.

FyreWulff

ii Stryker said:
This is a true beta. Bugs and glitches are to be expected and with the MP HD asset install on the 360 I'd say graphics aren't final either.

MS has misused the term beta starting with Halo 3 and spanning through Reach and Gears 3. Those "betas" were more or less glorified demos.

Reach and 3 were actual betas.

Crysis 2 and Blur were just early demos.

Top Bottom