• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Mulligan

Banned
PS3 beta running smootly for me too. There's the odd glitch but it's a beta, I hope to see the graphics improved before launch though.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
DeadFalling said:
Holy hell.... My first PC fps and I am absolutely terrible. Maybe I need to switch back to consoles? I use the gamepad for all PC games I've played since I built my rig (Mirrors Edge, Deus Ex, Just Cause 2) Using the gamepad on this game is suicide, but using M/KB is just so impossible for me... Any tips?

Find a local internet gaming cafe who do PC FPS nights, spend a few nights in there playing agents the locals you will learn.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Mulligan said:
PS3 beta running smootly for me too. There's the odd glitch but it's a beta, I hope to see the graphics improved before launch though.
Same; it runs well and the netcode is amazing. I don't think there will be any improvement in the visuals though, since the game comes out next month. I'm going to double dip on this game - PC/PS3.

longdi said:
what is the chrome trick and caspian border password.
there is no thread search, first post not updated. help.

It's 2 pages back, but here it is. Quote my post and you'll see the url and then read the instructions

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just made an Origin account... cant log into battlelog.

black_vegeta said:
How do you get to the settings page to change the graphics?
Hit escape while you're in-game and alive. For some reason they won't let you get to it (that I can see) while you are not spawned.

OG Kush said:
The sound design in this game is fucking amazing.

Yes it is. I was only playing with my headphones but the 360 degree ambiance is fantastic. Feels good to hear a guy sneaking up behind you only to turn around and shoot him in the face.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
black_vegeta said:
How do you get to the settings page to change the graphics?

hahaahha you want to know how?

You join a server, go in game, deploy, make sure you don't die or anything so run to a bush or something , prone so you're hidden ,then you can access the settings for the visuals.

And no I'm not fucking joking...

slidewinder said:
Hit escape while you're in-game and alive. For some reason they won't let you get to it (that I can see) while you are not spawned.

That is ass. Thanks for the info.

Edit: I wish it was a joke Corky. :(

longdi

Banned
bestami said:
Playing on the PC. Not liking it so far. Launching from the browser thingy is hilarious tho.

yes it sucks, have to install some dodgy plugins.
not liking PB install too.
graphics does not look as good.
1 week beta
no 64p PC maps with full vehicle battles..
Origin is laggy like some ancient java shit.
trolling COD yet plays more like COD than BF2 (quick deaths, quick respawn)

and we had to live with many 10s teasers.

who ever did the marketing for BF3 needs to die. very disgusted.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
black_vegeta said:
That is ass. Thanks for the info.

Edit: I wish it was a joke Corky. :(

It's war mate, it's a battle against the clock so hurry up and up the resolution and crank that AA before you get shot in the head because that'll bring you RIIIIIGHT out of the menu....

sk3tch

How are you guys getting the FOV settings to take? I edited in Wordpad - no go. Edited in Notepad - no go. Every time I need to delete the C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Battlefield 3 Open Beta folder after I make the change or else the game will not start...

I change:

FieldOfView

to

FieldOfView

in PROF_SAVE_body...

Dynamic3

Gvaz said:
If you play a pc fps with a controller you're a hindrance unless the game has aim assist things. And if you're playing a pc fps with aim assist you're doing it wrong.
Spare us your facts.

Have you tried flying a jet or heli with a mouse? Swiping left and right endlessly just to turn is awful. The analog joysticks a controller provides are far superior. Looks like you're doing common sense wrong.

Oh and your stupid picture doesn't even work.

Nabs

Corky said:
hahaahha you want to know how?

You join a server, go in game, deploy, make sure you don't die or anything so run to a bush or something , prone so you're hidden ,then you can access the settings for the visuals.

And no I'm not fucking joking...

hahaha.... why is this so funny :(

Hey people, fix your FOV:

Nabs said:
Yeah, it feels great.

If anyone needs help:

Download notepad++ and follow the first few lines here: http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield3/comments/ku740/change_your_fov_to_90/

sk3tch said:
How are you guys getting the FOV settings to take? I edited in Wordpad - no go. Edited in Notepad - no go. Every time I need to delete the C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Battlefield 3 Open Beta folder after I make the change or else the game will not start...

I change:

FieldOfView

to

FieldOfView

in PROF_SAVE_body...

You have to use Notepad++, not wordpad or notepad.

Jburton

Banned
Meisadragon said:
Same; it runs well and the netcode is amazing. I don't think there will be any improvement in the visuals though, since the game comes out next month. I'm going to double dip on this game - PC/PS3.

I think the graphics might be cleaned up a little.

Its an old build.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
arts&crafts said:
I have had an account since 2007 it says but I am "not allowed" to access the "open" beta

I preordered the game and got the same message. Now that the beta is open, I STILL am "not allowed" to login on the account I bought the game on. I had to make a new account and it works just fine. EA really blows.

LQX

I hate the fact so much shit has to be installed to play the PC version. Origin, PieceofshitBuster, web browser plugin. I do not like so much shit running on my system and its already turning me off. PC gaming should be getting simpler.

Eric WK

For all the bitching I've done about performance/graphics, man I'm really having a great time on 360. Just came home for lunch and played a round. Came in late on defense and ended up going 36-9 to lead everyone handily. Currently rocking a cool 699 score/minute.

I'm sure balance issues will pop up in time, but right now I'm really happy with the gameplay.

Kyaw

Got some impressions in Caspian Border:

-Spotting is fixed to awesomeness now. Spots disappear when they go behind cover/obstacle. And you can't spam it.

-The map is massive. Lots of routes to flank. My favourite flag is Hill Top because it's a nice vantage point to defend from.

-Need more transport vehicles. Maybe APCs and/or Transport Helicopters.

-At the moment, there isn't any organisation in teams. Most fuck around in the airfield waiting for the jets... most leave the stragglers and go on the jeeps on their own. (my pet peeve)
Most of the time it's just one squad trying to defend a point. Tanks will roam around without any support. Choppers fight choppers and Jets fight jets, there is no cooperation going on.
Maybe because it's beta.

-There's way too much drop on rocket launchers. Maybe i'm too used to the BC2's rockets physics.

-Jets get 'stuck' in the skybox if they go too high. It's probably supposed to be stalling but it's not working well. Again, beta issues. Should be fixed.

-The guns work perfectly for their role. Assault guns have Medium range and good at close range too. Carbines, engineer guns, have shorter than medium range, bad at long range and have to use single burst fire mode. Machine guns are fucked if you don't bipod them or crouch when shooting. Single fire mode is effective for accuracy.

-Tanks are GREAT! They have a speed boost too. It has quite low splash damage though.
You also need like 5 shots from the front to take down a tank, as it should be. About 3 from the back.

-Performance isn't that great for me. 30-40 in populated/dense areas. 40-60 in most areas.

Aegus

Ugh. Bush campers everywhere. Can't move forward with having to spray your load into a bush on the off chance someone is there.

Battlelog has already had 4 updates since launch, maybe 15 mins downtime each. Much better than having to update the actual game client/download a patch.

I think once Battlelog is fully functional and patched, most are gonna like it.

Ysiadmihi said:
I preordered the game and got the same message. Now that the beta is open, I STILL am "not allowed" to login on the account I bought the game on. I had to make a new account and it works just fine. EA really blows.

Made 3 accounts none work, fuck my life. I guess me and bf3 weren't meant to be.

Aegus said:
Ugh. Bush campers everywhere. Can't move forward with having to spray your load into a bushff chance someone is there.

woober

Aegus said:
Ugh. Bush campers everywhere. Can't move forward with having to spray your load into a bush on the off chance someone is there.

You basically better be near cover constantly. If you start getting shot at, go prone. Advance slowly. Position is key. You can't go running in the open field... at least not on Operation Metro.

You can run as much as you want on Caspian Border. : p

Kyaw

Mr. Snrub said:
Battlelog has already had 4 updates since launch, maybe 15 mins downtime each. Much better than having to update the actual game client/download a patch.

I think once Battlelog is fully functional and patched, most are gonna like it.

Battlelog works FLAWLESSLY although it had issues which were down to my system.
Most of the frustration is from server player count not working properly and most of the server being full.

It should be close to perfect once the game hits retail with thousands of servers. Also GAF server! :D

LQX

Ugh. This just getting better. They make you install punkbuster and not one damn server is using it. Go to launch game, driver 285 is required. I just rolled back from that driver because it kept blacking out my monitor. Fucks sake.

Why is everyone ignoring the biggest issue with the game?

The horrible shape that appears when the God rays hit you in a certain place. I think it's a pentagon or a hexagon. It looks like a symbol has just suddenly popped up on your screen. HORRIBLE. I love the lighting but that shit needs to go.

woober

Kyaw said:
Battlelog works FLAWLESSLY although it had issues which were down to my system.
Most of the frustration is from server player count not working properly and most of the server being full.

It should be close to perfect once the game hits retail with thousands of servers. Also GAF server! :D

Flawless here too other than joining as a party not working occasionally. It would be nice if they allowed you to enter a game with squad leader pre-selected in battlelog.

Nekrono

5d58c13339a9ffcdeba185c8a52fced04fbda129.PNG

Hopefully that means that we will not be getting kicked from the servers so ofter.... especially Caspian, it always hurts so much :(

Also, new password for Caspian is "shoppingcartsareagoodride", for those without the chrome plugin.

Kyaw

Foliorum Viridum said:
Why is everyone ignoring the biggest issue with the game?

The horrible shape that appears when the God rays hit you in a certain place. I think it's a pentagon or a hexagon. It looks like a symbol has just suddenly popped up on your screen. HORRIBLE. I love the lighting but that shit needs to go.

I think that's bad too. It needs to be more subtle.

Oh also, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S GOOD AND HOLY, give us the ability to change to DIFFERENT squads. It's so fucking frustrating to have a squad who is doing nothing but camping for a jet...

ACE 1991 said:
Yeah, it's the most impressive thing about the game, IMO. Playing with nice headphones and man, explosions ROCK YOUR SHIT.

Playing with 5.1 sounds orgasmic. Explosions with the subwoofer = jizz in my pants.
And the bullet and rocket whizzes are extremely awesome. Love the jet machine gun cracks too.

LQX said:
Ugh. This just getting better. They make you install punkbuster and not one damn server is using it. Go to launch game, driver 285 is required. I just rolled back from that driver because it kept blacking out my monitor. Fucks sake.

Isn't it optional? Pretty sure it's the third agreement during install and says its an optional software install.

Battlefieldo just tweeted the new Caspian pw. Quote this post to see.

EDIT: Secret PW fail
lol.gif

Zeppelin

This Origin thing is really great. It tells me I don't have it installed. Whoever wrote that error message must have been high as a fucking kite.

Kyaw said:
I think that's bad too. It needs to be more subtle.

Oh also, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S GOOD AND HOLY, give us the ability to change to DIFFERENT squads. It's so fucking frustrating to have a squad who is doing nothing but camping for a jet...
Yeah, I could leave my squad and randomly try for another when we were playing but I like that list of squads in BC2. I know 64 players means it will be more cluttered, but still, it's needed.

I was shocked when you managed to get into my squad!

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Jburton said:
what made you think there was?

There was never any indication there would be.
I haven't been following this thread to the dot. I saw 'Caspian Border' somewhere before i went to sleep, so i was hoping consoles would get the same treatment as PCs.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
The ps3 version has a lot of lag. I've also seen weird glitches like a guy running with his legs spazzing out underneath him.

For those console players having lag issues, Bazajaytee has a thread on the battlelog forums where you can report said issues and they'll try to get you fixed up.

Arucardo

Finally get to try this, also noticed that I still have the Alpha client on my origin games list and it's available to download again, I wonder what happens when you run it :D .

Mr. Snrub said:
Isn't it optional? Pretty sure it's the third agreement during install and says its an optional software install.

Battlefieldo just tweeted the new Caspian pw. Quote this post to see.
Heh. After saying I should hide the PWs you fail to do so. I love it!

:p

Kyaw

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, I could leave my squad and randomly try for another when we were playing but I like that list of squads in BC2. I know 64 players means it will be more cluttered, but still, it's needed.

I was shocked when you managed to get into my squad!

There needs to be only 8 squads on each team. Only need to go up to 8 Alphabetical letters.

Pretty sure BC2 lets you have up to 8 squads on one team even though there's only 16 players a side.

Hayvic

It's not starting. Either through Quickmatch or the server browser. The game manager just says "joining server" and then nothing. Why?

Top Bottom