• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

achapel said:
Well honestly I am tired of seeing that subpar chrome 'trick' passed around. I haven't shared what I made too widely, but its obvious that getting on the caspian servers isn't a big deal anymore, and you should at least use something that works and is easier to use.

Anyways, quote this post if you want a simple install for chrome that will allow you to get on caspian servers without a password. It will work automatically once you install it as long as they haven't changed their code on the site. (Of course I would update it)

Seriously brah, this is crucial. Thanks.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Anyone else been put in a Perma Loading screen on Xbox?
Went idle, game took me out, now i'm stuck in loading....

:|

Woorloog said:
Note: Playing on 360, thus no Caspian and 24players at most.
BF3 feels very much like BC2 with faster (and better) gameplay.
BC2 is good but i had hoped this would feel more like Battlefield 42/2. Though maybe you cannot make Rush feel like true Battlefield?
Console versions really should get access to Casbian Border and Conquest...

If the 360 were the lead platform I'd want to see Caspian in the beta. But after playing OpMetro there are too many bugs with this 360 build and we don't even have any vehicles.

At any rate I'm going to listen more to the PC guys. I know DICE has pretty great community support and knowing the PC is lead platform and an open platform. Fixes and tweaks will happen there much sooner and first. And then later on consoles because of the certification process.

dmg04 said:
Game Breakers on the 360 that make me wonder if i should really invest any time in this game;

3. Graphics; While i know this is a Beta... Cmon man! The gears beta was amazing compared to this. The game comes out in less than a month and this is what they're giving us to test?

You can't compare a multiplatform game to a game that only comes out for one system. Thats just not realistic.

Besides its already been confirmed that the retail 360 BF3 will have installable HD assets. Meaning the GFX in the beta aren't final

Rainy Dog

Evolved1 said:
This flashlight is retarded.

Yeah, it can be annoying. You're almost running around with a live flash grenade. Is also a pain when you get blinded by your own teammates. If I equip it at all, I turn mine off unless I'm roaming the tunnels underneath the metro. I don't think most people know that you can, however.

TheJerit

wasn't there some people that couldn't find out how to import their friends list from origin or thought it wasn't available. perhaps it wasn't at first, but now that i'm back in battlelog for the beta i see the import feature on the friends section of my profile.

30739f1629df42fe9378f31.png

just an fyi to anyone that might have not spotted this. if already discussed, please disregard.

Nabs

Nekrono said:
Switching the "T" key to toggle the flashlight/laser to my left ALT key is probably the best keybind choice I've ever made!

Now I can comfortably turn it off to not reveal my position and turn it on to flash people when coming out of a turn/door/cover. Even when someone catches you by surprise it's so easy to simply turn it on while still moving.... increases your chances of survival by x1000000.

Rebind this key to something comfortable, it's super useful.

That's funny, my fav. keybind change was probably switching Prone to Left Alt. So good...

I know this build is probably 4 or 5 weeks old, but I am somewhat worried they can't get rid of all these issues until launch. There are still some pretty nasty crash issues, a relatively huge amount of servers runs like shit and all these minor issues with animations, clipping, respawn and geometry are pretty annoying.

Compared to the BC2 Beta, the game is pretty broken.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh, and this might be a known bug, but is there a problem with the "exiting battle zone" thing? Cos it happened, the timer came up, so I rushed back to my squad, and the timer stayed. And it counted down, and then it killed me, because it thought I was still out of the battle zone. This happened three times in one match.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
lol, ok.... joined 2 matches and was put in black screen unable to play. Looks like i'll just have to listen to the PC guys as they've obviously gotten priority

woober

Nabs said:
That's funny, my fav. keybind change was probably switching Prone to Left Alt. So good...

My favorite is rebinding the knife from "6" to my side mouse button. I've gotten so many knife kills... ehehehe.

LQX

Question: Not possible to run a home server just to check out the map or test graphics settings?

Cant get a game going at all.

Spl1nter

TheJerit said:
wasn't there some people that couldn't find out how to import their friends list from origin or thought it wasn't available. perhaps it wasn't at first, but now that i'm back in battlelog for the beta i see the import feature on the friends section of my profile.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2083/30739f1629df42fe9378f31.png

just an fyi to anyone that might have not spotted this. if already discussed, please disregard.

They fixed it over night in one of the updates to battlelog. The function was previously not working.

TheJerit

Spl1nter said:
They fixed it over night in one of the updates to battlelog. The function was previously not working.

good to hear. just trying to help out with some of these questions now that i'm in the beta and i can't play cause im sitting in my office.....

if i squint real hard, i can imagine a caspian border scene outside my window....

Just tried flying a jet and heli with a 360 pad for the first time. Definitely going to learn to fly them that way - can't do it for shit on the keyboard!

Still tough though. Will take practice.

Nekrono

I just found out something... if you press "G" to throw a grenade and immediately hold the left click you will hold the grenade and throw it when you release it.

Zeppelin

Played a couple of games on Metro. Gameplay seems to be decent. Quite a lot of lag but I guess that will go away when they stop matching you up with eastern Europe. There's some really embarrassing bugs though, such as clipping through the map and stuff. Haven't had that happening in a decade or so.

Edit: Maybe this isn't the thread for impressions... Sorry!

TheJerit

Zeppelin said:
Played a couple of games on Metro. Gameplay seems to be decent. Quite a lot of lag but I guess that will go away when they stop matching you up with eastern Europe. There's some really embarrassing bugs though, such as clipping through the map and stuff. Haven't had that happening in a decade or so.

Edit: Maybe this isn't the thread for impressions... Sorry!

zh1nto said there would be a patch soon that will fix this and the finding match issues (and perhaps some more).

Zeppelin

TheJerit said:
zh1nto said there would be a patch soon that will fix this and the finding match issues (and perhaps some more).

I hope so, because right now the game isn't in a state where I would pay money for it. I guess some of the clipping issues could be attributed to lag issues though.

I love some of it though. The game looks pretty good even on my very modest rig. The sound design is superb.

Skirn

Is there no way to re-bind the left and right mouse buttons?

I'm used to having crouch on the left mouse button and not as a key on the keyboard. Felt really awkward.

woober

blahblah...blah said:
Wait, is it possible to do this in the beta? It's not recognising my MX518's side buttons

Using logitech setpoint drivers on my G700 and it works.

Skirn said:
Is there no way to re-bind the left and right mouse buttons?

I'm used to having crouch on the left mouse button and not as a key on the keyboard. Felt really awkward.

o_O What kind of monstrous control setup do you use? How do you shoot?! I haven't tried it but rebinding the knife worked for me, so I'm assuming you can.

DTKT said:
You can't change your settings outside of the game. You need to join a server.

Pretty dumb.
UI stuff in general is pretty dumb.
  • For some reason inbetween rounds you have to wait 30 seconds, during which all you can do is watch your stats and progress for the round. If this waiting period truly is necessary, at least allow me to use that time to do stuff instead of just sitting there waiting for the clock to run down. Put some of that Battlelog social stuff in there. Allow me to customize loadouts. Change settings. Something.
  • No distance indicators for objectives. Would be useful.
  • Unless I'm missing something you can't tell how broke a vehicle is unless you're in it.
  • The map is splendidly useless. On the spawn screen I have no idea if it's a good idea to spawn at one location or another as I can't get an overall view of the entire map. And I don't know why they went with this abstract shapes or empty blue void nonsense visual style. While it looks very pretty, it's supposed to be a functional tool for players not an art exhibit.
  • Haven't unlocked a lot of stuff yet so haven't tooled around with loadout customization much, but that seems needlessly convoluted. You get this screen showing all the classes and slots, but then you have to enter separate submenus for each class to actually change anything.
edit
Oh and there's no Driver+# for vehicles so no clue if there's room for you.

darkwing

does the squad system even work in the console? on the PS3 our party keeps on being separated , sometimes to the enemy team, and mics don't even work , good thing this is a beta right?

Top Bottom