• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Cdammen

Really enjoyed it on PC even though I died a lot. I at least learned to approach hostile situations with caution after the 15th death, hehe... got a stable FPS with everything set on high @ 1080p. It looked gorgeous. The style is very "rough" and bright, I love it. Reminds me of Mirror's Edge for some reason (maybe the incredibly sharp textures?) Will play more. Never got into Battlefield 2 so I'll be there day 1 for this.

By the way, why are there no Caspian Border servers without password?

Angry Fork

wtf @ this game. I have absolutely no clue what the hell I'm doing or what's going on. Everyone seems to be camping behind some rocks and killing me no matter where I go without me seeing any of them. I guess it doesn't help that I put all settings on the lowest possible and still only get 28fps during firefights. Not enjoyable at all though.

Just played a couple rounds of the 360 beta. I think it's pretty cool, but I'm horrible at it. I have a hard time seeing enemies in the distance because there's so much stuff in the environment. Does anyone else have that problem too? I think my eyes will adjust, though, and not make it a problem anymore

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Angry Fork said:
wtf @ this game. I have absolutely no clue what the hell I'm doing or what's going on. Everyone seems to be camping behind some rocks and killing me no matter where I go without me seeing any of them. I guess it doesn't help that I put all settings on the lowest possible and still only get 28fps during firefights. Not enjoyable at all though.
BF3 is not a run and gun shooter.

Schmitty

I've given up trying to play. I haven't been able to play one full game yet after an hour and a half. It just keeps dropping me out and lag is unbearable

Can't record with fraps and fly a plane, for some reason it lags like mad. Probably because it's loading new parts of the map constantly.

Shame, I've been doing some nice runs on the jets.

Not sure if anyone has brought it up but they really need to give jets flares without having to unlock them.
Now that i recently unlocked the heatseekers the enemy jets dont stand a chance and since they go down in seconds they dont get an opportunity to get any jet unlocks.

I imagine it must be frustrating as hell :\

Angry Fork

SapientWolf said:
BF3 is not a run and gun shooter.
Yea but it feels like I can't get anything done because everyone is in some bush or special spot that I don't know about, shooting anyone who runs by.

Also when I press 3 or 4 it automatically puts out a health pack, why? Shouldn't it just bring the pack out and then you click on the mouse to release it? Doesn't make sense.

Menelaus

Banned
Angry Fork said:
Congrats! You're not the target demographic for this game!

up and running on PS3. Game is really satisfying. Only issues so far is a bit of screen tearing and this annoying white flashing that pops up in some spots.

Also, the sound, the explosions and the gun fire (especially in the subway) is fantastic.

Dreaver

Full Metal Jacket said:
Right analog for crouch/prone is pretty damn useful, since that's the layout that I use in COD.
It might be because I am not used to it but it is annoying when I am used to B.

Is metro being featured because it is one of their better maps? Because it is garbage. If that is representative of their best map then the game isnt worth buying.

Moaradin

I H8 Memes said:
Is metro being featured because it is one of their better maps? Because it is garbage. If that is representative of their best map then the game isnt worth buying.

CASPIAN BORDER YO!

Sanic

Playing on PC, i'm honestly not finding the graphics to be that massively improved over BC2, and when you take into account the pop in and slight choppiness associated with the streaming tech, it kind of makes the whole thing a mixed bag.

Animator

Pandoracell said:
Playing on PC, i'm honestly not finding the graphics to be that massively improved over BC2, and when you take into account the pop in and slight choppiness associated with the streaming tech, it kind of makes the whole thing a mixed bag.

Maybe your computer is terrible because it is miles above bc2 on my end. I get no texture pop in either.

cackhyena

Ugh, audio goofiness, flickering all over, including the entire vista for split seconds sometimes. Bullet trails stuck in the air just sitting there, kinda horrific shadowing on the people. Lots to hate, including the map itself.

That said, the movement of your player is far smoother than BC2 ever was. Still, I really hope this is some older build cuz damn. Shit is rough.

campers gonna camp

thats what my first two matches were, so i guess you gotta play it slow

it's ok so far but playing the beta has sorta turned this into a "wait for it to go on sale" , will rent day 1 though, at red box B^)

Angry Fork

Menelaus said:
Congrats! You're not the target demographic for this game!
Like I said before, how can you get anything done by yourself if everyone is waiting in some bush? You have to work with your squad mates and that's fine except most people don't care about working as a team.

what in the fucking hell.
just installed battlefield.
i fire up origins and this little shit of a message shows up.
halp.

2q2qq1f.png

I went from ridiculous levels of hype to maybe wait till later and lots of patches get released and things get stabalized for ps3 because it was straight up garbage, and those who read my posts know I'm not a PC nerd or an "xbot", like straight up GARBAGE. Molasses running, glitches galore, random lag, jaggy as a mofo, intense jaggies + prone players = worst combo ever.

Seriously disappointed folks.

jet1911

Pandoracell said:
I played Bad Company 2 yesterday night with a friend and after 2 days of BF3 the difference was massive. BF3 looks wat better.

Finally got the Battlefield 3 beta Origin download to work, and I have no idea why, but I also have Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box under My Games, even though I've never bought it.

AppleMIX

They should just rename this thread to battlefield bitching thread.

Overall i'm enjoying it. Running a lot smoother than the BFBC2 beta.

I also don't get the Metro hate, I thought it was fine.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
klownboots said:
up and running on PS3. Game is really satisfying. Only issues so far is a bit of screen tearing and this annoying white flashing that pops up in some spots.

Also, the sound, the explosions and the gun fire (especially in the subway) is fantastic.
When i'm above ground, this is happening EVERYWHERE on the 360
Fucking annoying

Moaradin said:
CASPIAN BORDER YO!

Then they need to show it because this map isnt selling the game. Rush mode is garbage no matter what the map is so I dont know why they are using one to try to sell the game to PC gamers.

Gvaz

Banned
What the fuck is this, dual monitor setup makes the game crash when putting it to fullscreen?

edit: AHHHHHHH now it keeps switching between monitors FUCK

Sanic

Animator said:
Maybe your computer is terrible because it is miles above bc2 on my end. I get no texture pop in either.

It's not top of the line, but it's by no means terrible. I can set everything to high or max and pull 40-60 FPS. I'll give things more time to sink in, perhaps I was expecting too much.

mr_nothin

Banned
This is not the BF3 that the alpha promised :(
There are so many added small annoyances now that it's really just pissing me off to no end.
Starting to feel disappointed.

1 of the biggest is that netcode has gone to absolute shit now

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
aj2good4you2 said:
Not sure if anyone has brought it up but they really need to give jets flares without having to unlock them.
Now that i recently unlocked the heatseekers the enemy jets dont stand a chance and since they go down in seconds they dont get an opportunity to get any jet unlocks.

I imagine it must be frustrating as hell :\
How many seats do the jets have? Maybe people can build up their stats through co-piloting.

ACE 1991

Haha this thread is classic NeoGAF. Game is the savior of multiplayer shooters, and now after actually playing the damn game it somehow doesn't live up to the utterly ridiculous level of hype. As a BF2 vet, I, for one, am having a shitload of fun. Are there issues? Of course there are, BF2 had tons of them. I'm really not all that worried.

KaYotiX

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
Haha this thread is classic NeoGAF. Game is the savior of multiplayer shooters, and now after actually playing the damn game it somehow doesn't live up to the utterly ridiculous level of hype. As a BF2 vet, I, for one, am having a shitload of fun. Are there issues? Of course there are, BF2 had tons of them. I'm really not all that worried.

Agree 100%, and everyone is freaking out over an old beta build. Never change GaF

Angry Fork

Any neogaf server or group or something? Not sure if you can do that yet. I saw the europe platoon thing but I'm not in europe lol not sure if it matters.

achapel

JackEtc said:
Hey guys, shoppingcartsareagoodride.

Just in case you aren't using the Java exploit.

You mean javascript. Ain't no Java in here.

BTW I also worked on something that will keep trying to join a full server for you every 5 seconds automatically. It is not finished by any means, and needs a lot of polish, but the basic functionality works, and a simple refresh of the page will fix any bugs that popup.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/114219

Use at your own risk, but there shouldn't be any real risk.

To use it, install it, then you select a server in the server browser, click the big join button on the right, if its full you will get the error, but then the auto join button will show up. Click that and it will continue to try to join or stop when you click stop. If you get in a game it wont keep trying. It is for those times when there aren't any servers with good pings that you can get into easily, and this allows you to set it and forget it until you get in. At least until they setup queues or something again.

Top Bottom