• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

metalshade

Looked on battlelog for the NeoGAF platoon for Xbox...doesnt exist?
What gives GAF?
For all those wailing about no revives or medkits, invite me to your squad (Xbox obv), you will never have to respawn again, its all I ever do!

cackhyena

KaYotiX said:
Agree 100%, and everyone is freaking out over an old beta build. Never change GaF
I was never hyped for game play, but I didn't think it would be this glitchy. And I'm used to BC2's wonderful world of glitches.

Do we know for sure it's an old build?

Gvaz

Banned
This runs like dogshit on my system on low everything:

Phenom II X3 720 oc'd to 3.7
8gb ddr2
1GB HD4890 @ 1920x1200

it's also not letting me do this resolution and 60hz, just 59 hz because that's what windows think's it is because it's stupid.

SapientWolf said:
How many seats do the jets have? Maybe people can build up their stats through co-piloting.
only 1 and im pretty sure DICE said there wont be any 2 seaters

was really hoping for some coop jet action too :(

Soma

Man I can't wait to play some Conquest. I know the consoles won't get even have half of the experience as on PC but if they at least give us Heavy Metal sized maps for their new maps then I'll be content. At least till I actually have the funds to get a good PC.

ACE 1991 said:
Haha this thread is classic NeoGAF. Game is the savior of multiplayer shooters, and now after actually playing the damn game it somehow doesn't live up to the utterly ridiculous level of hype. As a BF2 vet, I, for one, am having a shitload of fun. Are there issues? Of course there are, BF2 had tons of them. I'm really not all that worried.
I'm having a lot of fun with it. There's definitely some impressive stuff going on with the engine and gunplay but there's definitely some annoying things that I can't overlook (lag, falling through maps, etc).

I'm hoping this is an early build

I'll be clear, my huge disappointment is PS3 specific. Running worse for me than BC2 every did, I loved BC2. So I don't want my impressions to ruin any PC buyers, or 360 buyers assuming it runs better there. Maybe I just got unlucky with the amount of glitches and random lag.

Mr Sandman said:
How was that dude getting 40 - 60 frames on an 8800GT? My buddy has a 9800GT and on everything low he gets like 20 - 35 (sometimes even worse). He's got a Phenom II X4 and 4 gigs of ram. I am really disappointed as the card runs everything great, especially BC2.

I have the same situation with a 4850, 4gb of memory, and a phenom x4. Everything maxed except HBAO off, vsync off, and AA at 2x and get near constant 60 fps on BC2. With BF3 on Metro I have almost everything set to low and get about 25 fps.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i've been looking back at some of footage that blew everyone's minds at e3 and that the seeming disparity between that footage and what we're playing now is largely the result of scripting, pre-canned animations and selectively lit vistas - possibly being rendered at some ridiculous resolution.

-Pyromaniac- said:
I'll be clear, my huge disappointment is PS3 specific. Running worse for me than BC2 every did, I loved BC2. So I don't want my impressions to ruin any PC buyers, or 360 buyers assuming it runs better there. Maybe I just got unlucky with the amount of glitches and random lag.

you act like you played the final version of the game.

Moaradin

ghst said:
i've been looking back at some of footage that blew everyone's minds at e3 and that the seeming disparity between that footage and what we're playing now is largely the result of scripting, pre-canned animations and selectively lit vistas - possibly being rendered at some ridiculous resolution.

Or the beta just isn't ultra settings.

Man I just can't get into a Caspian server.

How do they still have the weird shit where you can only access the escape menu at certain points? How has this not been addressed lol

Menelaus

Banned
Gvaz said:

8gb ddr2
1GB HD4890 @ 1920x1200

it's also not letting me do this resolution and 60hz, just 59 hz because that's what windows think's it is because it's stupid.
No quad core, ddr2, older video card.

Yup, time to upgrade.

Just had my first match and it as great, animations are top notch, so is the sound and gunplay as expected from a Battlefield game. There is some jankiness as expected from a beta.
I like the sniper sparkle and the other changes they made to spawning like not being able to immediately fire when you spawn which was annoying in Bad Company 2.

At first I was disappointed finding out the huge number difference in players between the PC and console versions but I don't think I'll care, I'm having a great time.

Deadly

Gvaz said:

8gb ddr2
1GB HD4890 @ 1920x1200

I think the processor helps alot. I've got a Q6600 and a 9800gtx+ with 4GB ddr2 and on everything low it runs alright. I assume at least 30fps because I don't get any slowdowns.

Gvaz

Banned
Menelaus said:
No quad core, ddr2, older video card.

Yup, time to upgrade.
I can barely afford to eat. Also it's a tri core overclocked almost a gigahertz that can play pretty much everything else just fine. It's just this game. 45fps on that subway map on low at 720p is shit

Mothman91

Not a Jellyfish said:
Anyone having problems connecting on 360? I keep getting lost connection to EA message.
You're not the only one.

From the other thread.
From ze Twitter: We're having some technical difficulties on the 360 - working to fix it. Stand by!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
buhdeh said:
Console version is complete shit. Going to cancel my PS3 order and change to PC.

hmm, the ps3 version actually looked pretty good on that stream I saw.

Aesthet1c

I don't know if it's because I have my settings set to low, but that scope reflection is waaaaay over the top. At first I thought all those huge white glowing things on my screen were video glitches, but nope, I can see snipers from a mile away. It's even so bad that I had a dude with an SMG and a scope running at me gunning, and I couldn't even see him, he was just a huge glowing ball of white because the reflection was so bad. Is anyone else seeing this?

Some impressions, from both PS3 and PC version:

- Auto aim is way more noticiable on console versions than BC2 (and probably any other BF game on console), auto aim was in BC2 but it was discrete enough, if you didn't pay attention you could barely notice it's effects, but this time, you feel it's there it's not Halo level of auto aim, but it's there, of course this is probably due to the higher recoil on most weapons.

- While they don't seem to be a clear difference in terms of character movement speed, definetly BF3 is slower, or maybe it feels slower, thanks to the more transition animations, for example jumping over obstacles in BC2 you could still use your arm, now that there's animation, you can't do that, I like it, all this makes you need to be more reasonable in when to move and certainly limits your chances of going full rambo mode, probably the fact I don0t have practice with PS3 sticks (I miss 360 stick ;_;) and neither with a KB/M (I was a console gamer for the most part of my life) definetly has something to do too, but I feel that recklessly running around has a way bigger penalty, thanks that your character can act as fast (also prone helps to be more aware of your surroundings and be easily ambushed)

- I have to get more practise with KB/M, but for some reason I'm had way more fun in PC that PS3, I think the higher FPS I'm getting (even with the shitty resolution I'm playing) makes a difference, movement feels way smoother and there aren't as many graphcial problems.

- DPS is high enough to don't give you time to react, another reson to not go Rambo mode.

I can't wait to try caspian border.

Corky said:
hmm, the ps3 version actually looked pretty good on that stream I saw.

Definetly looks better than BC2 in some aspects but LOD is ridiculous at times (at a few meters some objects losses a lot of geometry), maybe they can fix that before release.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
you act like you played the final version of the game.
I can only judge what I've played, no? Obviously it's still a beta, that's implied, so it COULD change, but so far, disappointing experience for me personally.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Mothman91 said:
You're not the only one.

From the other thread.
From ze Twitter: We're having some technical difficulties on the 360 - working to fix it. Stand by!

Good to know but I have to leave for work soon, shit.

IMACOMPUTA

So I've been playing the pc version and am aware of the bugginess etc. But last night I tried the xbox version...

Holy shit, are they serious? Its so fucked. So much glitchiness, etc. This really isn't something they should have put out for the public.

I was stuck under ground and fighting other guys under ground. Lol. There were like 8 guys all shooting at eachother underground. What the fuck.

Atruvius

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2826550451864763818/
So here's the platoon for European PS3 gaffers. You can also find it using search if you press "space" after writing "neogaf" on the search bar.

Izayoi

Banned
I'm loving both the Xbox 360 and PC versions. So much fucking fun, even on Metro. I dig it.

Have to try PS3 still. Will get around to that later today probably.

IMACOMPUTA said:
So I've been playing the pc version and am aware of the bugginess etc. But last night I tried the xbox version...

Holy shit, are they serious? Its so fucked. So much glitchiness, etc. This really isn't something they should have put out for the public.

I was stuck under ground and fighting other guys under ground. Lol. There were like 8 guys all shooting at eachother underground. What the fuck.
just happened to me now on ps3, went prone and fell through the map.

PatzCU

Gvaz said:
I can barely afford to eat. Also it's a tri core overclocked almost a gigahertz that can play pretty much everything else just fine. It's just this game. 45fps on that subway map on low at 720p is shit

Did you try updating your vid drivers? I'm playing on an HD5770, 4GB Ram, 2.8ghz AMD quad core and I get around 30fps with everything on high, AA off, HBAO off, 1680x1050. Pretty sure your vid card is better than mine.

(I'm buying a GTX 570 tonight though, Caspian made me a believer)

Omiee

i cant start the game, i press start matchmaking or somthing, than windows shows me programm cant start screen
wtf is up with that

derFeef

Game looks gorgeous.
Game sounds fantastic.
Gunplay is great fun.
Metro is a bad map.
I want big maps :(

I applied for the EU platoon HOURS ago - no response yet ;)

IMACOMPUTA said:

Sounds like a beta to me. It's not a demo.

Wickerman

ACE 1991 said:
Haha this thread is classic NeoGAF. Game is the savior of multiplayer shooters, and now after actually playing the damn game it somehow doesn't live up to the utterly ridiculous level of hype. As a BF2 vet, I, for one, am having a shitload of fun. Are there issues? Of course there are, BF2 had tons of them. I'm really not all that worried.

Would you say more like BF2 or the BC series?

Appleman

Just downloaded it, somewhat disappointed with Operation Metro, but it seems to run really nice...

I'm running maxed out, but I've heard that "Ultra" may not be the same max that we'll see in the final build.

Performance is really good though, completely maxed at 2560x1600 is at least 30 and totally playable (don't have fraps ATM)

Bob White

Fuck Op metro. Who the fuck would think this shit is fun or shows off what makes BF the game it is. The first area is a fucking joke.

Top Bottom