• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

achapel

If anything my script should be in the op. It works, and you don't have to do it every time you reload the page. Not only that once it is installed it just works and you don't even have to think about it. You can ask some of the guys who frequent the gaf mumble server, it works.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played a lot more tonight and it really clicked a lot for me. I started taking things a lot slower and doing a lot better. The 3.4x scope is awesome on the M416 and the M4A1 is a ton better than I expected it to be.

Uh, spotting is absolutely in the beta, guys. I know it's select for PS3, not sure what it is on 360. It's in PC, for sure.

And Gvaz, people were complaining about camping--that's why I brought up the killcam. If you're camping, by definition, the killcam will give your position.

Angry Fork said:
Campers fucking suck. I'd rather the game implement some kind of thing where if you stay in one 5 ft. radius spot for more than 30 sec your health deteriorates. Just something that makes them move so they can't lay down in bushes like little bitches.

You sound frustrated.

Metro is starting to grow on me a little. Not sure if it's just playing with a good team, but had some fun rounds tonight, despite the frustration of constant end-of-round disconnects.

daedalius

Metro doesn't feel like all the other battlefield games I have enjoyed in the past, not pleased with their beta map selection.

Also no vehicles? they just want to make people on the 360 straight up compare this to CoD don't they? Need to download it on my pc to check out this caspian map everyone is jerking off to.

Hmmm, how much crap do I have to download to my pc to try this?

Korosenai

Too be honest, i'm not having any fun with the 360 beta.

The game just isn't that good in my opinion, and I really wanted it to be (Already fully preordered it). Maybe I should just go switch my preorder to cod. *shrugs*

belvedere

Junior Butler
achapel said:
Anyone that wants into caspian servers

Again, please use this, it works flawlessly and you don't have to mess with it once you install it. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/114157

Also as an added bonus I made a simple auto join script, it isn't 100% but it works most of the time. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/114219

Just click join on a server, and you will see the auto join button show up, you can then let it run and try to enter the server.

You're amazing.

Question though, is it normal behavior for Battlelog to report "Something strange happened, retrying". Is that how it keeps attempting to rejoin?

Thanks.

jacobs34

Are there smoke grenades in the beta? The first part of Metro would be so much easier if the attacking team spawned with smoke grenades.

NBtoaster

Mr. Snrub said:
Uh, spotting is absolutely in the beta, guys. I know it's select for PS3, not sure what it is on 360. It's in PC, for sure.

And Gvaz, people were complaining about camping--that's why I brought up the killcam. If you're camping, by definition, the killcam will give your position.

Not with this killcam.

Angry Fork said:
1. Spotting isn't in beta, at least I haven't been able to use it.
2. Scope glare does nothing if they're far away they already have you in their sites, not to mention if they're in a spot that can't be flanked and the only way to kill them is facing them head on.
3 and 4 = same as 2.

You basically have to switch to sniper just to take them out, then by the time you die and switch back to assault/other class he runs back to his camping spot again.

Campers fucking suck. I'd rather the game implement some kind of thing where if you stay in one 5 ft. radius spot for more than 30 sec your health deteriorates. Just something that makes them move so they can't lay down in bushes like little bitches.
Spotting works for me and I find it as easy as it's ever been to dispatch snipers, but honestly, there's no need for the game to have sniper rifles.

82zeU.jpg

Ezduo

Banned
Wow. Finally had a decent time going only for my fucking scope to stop working and the game kicking me out a minute later. God dammit Dice. That's also the second time the game has just randomly decided to stop registering commands too. In an earlier round my movement keys stopped working so my character just sat his dumbass out in the open until someone put a mercy bullet in my skull.

Also, is it true you only unlock stuff for one side? I haven't gotten a chance to defend yet so I'm to assume if I ever do all the stuff I already unlocked won't carry over?

Dmax3901

belvedere said:
You're amazing.

Question though, is it normal behavior for Battlelog to report "Something strange happened, retrying". Is that how it keeps attempting to rejoin?

Thanks.

Yeah I'm getting the same message. Not sure if it's working or not.

achapel

belvedere said:
You're amazing.

Thanks.
The retrying thing is mine, I was just using the default error message instead or something else more custom. It didn't recognize the message I sent and adds the something strange part.

If you are seeing the Retrying... part then it is working.

Angry Fork

Mr. Snrub said:
You sound frustrated.

Metro is starting to grow on me a little. Not sure if it's just playing with a good team, but had some fun rounds tonight, despite the frustration of constant end-of-round disconnects.
Honestly I'm liking the game a lot actually I just hate campers in general no matter the game.

kitch9

Banned
Angry Fork said:
1. Spotting isn't in beta, at least I haven't been able to use it.
2. Scope glare does nothing if they're far away they already have you in their sites, not to mention if they're in a spot that can't be flanked and the only way to kill them is facing them head on.
3 and 4 = same as 2.

You basically have to switch to sniper just to take them out, then by the time you die and switch back to assault/other class he runs back to his camping spot again.

Campings a valid tactic in most games how they are designed.

You sound like all the other fucking whiny bitches moaning when the other team isn't running around in the open like headless chickens giving you a free crap shoot.

Man up, use the tools given you, and slow the fuck down.

NBtoaster

Mr. Snrub said:
What's wrong with it? I'm not a huge fan, but it's still easy to see where the person is located.

It doesn't show the guys position relative to you. Maybe you can see that he's crouched in a bush next to a rock somewhere, but what bush? There are a lot of bushes. It's not so bad underground but outdoors it relies to much on intricate knowledge of the map.

Also the actual camera work of the killcam is atrocious (clips into the player or into geometry and tends to spaz out).

parasight

I really didn't enjoy BF:BC2 for the short period of time I spent on it (probably because I ran it on my MacBook which just couldn't handle it). But I really liked BF3 on 360. There's a handful of glitches but for the most part I had a lot of fun, which I was hesitant about considering the bad taste I had from BC2.

Started playing tonight on the 360. God does this game look like shit in comparison to PC.

I still can't see the enemy, nobody is communicating, and I have no idea what is going on, and all of my starting weapons suck. :(

That said, I managed to pick up a gun with the little dot in a glass window sight (i have no idea what those are called) and promptly killed five people in a row. :)

What is that Sight and how do I get it? Do health packs/ammo really matter when everyone seems to die every 30 seconds?

demolitio

NOTHING is worse than getting 5 unlocks in one match just to get disconnected at the end and losing all of them. I feel so empty inside now... :(

FGMPR

Banned
achapel said:
Anyone that wants into caspian servers

Again, please use this, it works flawlessly and you don't have to mess with it once you install it. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/114157

Also as an added bonus I made a simple auto join script, it isn't 100% but it works most of the time. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/114219

Just click join on a server, and you will see the auto join button show up, you can then let it run and try to enter the server.

Thank you, sir

Angry Fork

kitch9 said:
Campings a valid tactic in most games how they are designed.

You sound like all the other fucking whiny bitches moaning when the other team isn't running around in the open like headless chickens giving you a free crap shoot.

Man up, use the tools given you, and slow the fuck down.
At least the headless chickens rely on twitch aiming and accuracy to do good.

Campers rely on whether their eyes work or not. That's all they have to do, just sit and wait. When someone runs by shoot, rinse and repeat. That shit is lame sorry, especially if they pick an annoying corner spot behind a bunch of rocks/bushes so nobody can see them + other people's weapons don't do much damage because they can crawl back behind the rocks for protection.

I'm not a headless chicken by any means but I can't sit in one spot for half the round that I know people pass by and feel good about myself after that. It's the cheapest "tactic" ever next to noob tubes/rocket launchers.

vixlar

At last I could play BF3 Beta.

What I like:

-Different weapons for each faction.
-You can see if someone is disarming the bomb.
-Different button for dis/arming the comm and changing kits. (yeeeee)
-I liked how they implemented the prone and the knife to the control configuration. If you played BC2 you only need to learn two new moves
-You can chose if your weapon is auto or semi.
-The damage of the bullets. Now I don't need to discharge two magazines on one enemy to kill him.
-Suppress fire. It is so useful to create flanking attacks.
-You can climb obstacles and windows, and the animation is fantastic.
-The explosions look and sound more destructive now.
-You can earn points if squad spawns on you.
-You can see the name of your squad members even if they are far away.
-You can see your own health now.

What I don't like:

-The spot mark is really tiny. It must be a hell for people with SD TV sets. Althugh even with that I earned a lot of spotting bonus points.
-When the enemy shoots he is no longer showed in the radar. I loved that.
-Sometimes there is an excess of info on screen, and I don't know what's happening.
-The kit selection menu can be a little confusing at first.
-There's no indication of which squad member is talking.
-I think the movement control is too sensitive. When I try to stay in a place the character moves slowly by himself. At first I thought it was my controller, but I saw a lot of people which were "camping" and they were moving slowly too.

For me it was a great experience. It is a shame that the servers are not working as they should be now, but I expect for the problems to be fixed soon.

BTW, someone knows what is the use of the little bar below the grenade counter? sometimes I see it is full, sometimes it is at 3/4 and even at half. But I don't know what is measuring.

gillFTR

Okay so I got in a game and someguy had missiles unlocked on his jet from the opposing team we didnt shoot him down and he racked up 15 kills. Even if we managed to take off, stinger missiles owned us. Where can I tell dice that whoever thought to put unlock flares and missiles on jets is a retard.

Seriously its the equivalent of we all get to knife until we unlock guns.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm really enjoying the PS3 beta now. The game really shines if you're in a good squad, especially if they communicate well.

I have to admit that I like how punishingly hard the game has been to me. I feel like I earned my kills instead of just running in a circle and shooting people in the backs like COD. I'd really like to delve into this game when it launches and find a group of people who will communicate and play semi-regularly

kitch9

Banned
Angry Fork said:
At least the headless chickens rely on twitch aiming and accuracy to do good.

Campers rely on whether their eyes work or not. That's all they have to do, just sit and wait. When someone runs by shoot, rinse and repeat. That shit is lame sorry, especially if they pick an annoying corner spot behind a bunch of rocks/bushes so nobody can see them + other people's weapons don't do much damage because they can crawl back behind the rocks for protection.

I'm not a headless chicken by any means but I can't sit in one spot for half the round that I know people pass by and feel good about myself after that. It's the cheapest "tactic" ever next to noob tubes/rocket launchers.

If you're the one "running by" then I'm sorry its your own stupid fault. There's plenty of ways to the objective outside the chokepoints where you don't need to be running round in the open.

Camping whiners suck man, 'specially the ones who type "camper" in chat EVERY TIME THEY FUCKING DIE!!!!?!?!?!

kitch9 said:
If you're the one "running by" then I'm sorry its your own stupid fault. There's plenty of ways to the objective outside the chokepoints where you don't need to be running round in the open.

Camping whiners suck man, 'specially the ones who type "camper" in chat EVERY TIME THEY FUCKING DIE!!!!?!?!?!

I get killed by everyone, not just campers. Camping a legitimate tactic. I suck at the game, so I have been walking really slowly and carefully as to run up a bunch of deaths and hurt the team. :)

Is there any sorta of online guide or instructions? Having never played a BF game, I am completely lost as to what is going on 98% of the time...

Angry Fork

kitch9 said:
How is it my fault that I died if some loser hiding in bushes so people can't see him kills me? This doesn't make any sense. How am I going to get to a point without running in the open? Should I fly and then drop down on it? Or dig a hole underground then dig up into the point?

Sounds like you camp and get mad when people call you out on it because you know deep down you're a bad/cheap player who'd do anything to keep his uber-impressive k/d ratio.

achapel

K.Sabot said:
God damn script thingy doesn't work for firefox for me :p
Sorry, haven't had time to mess with firefox. It works for sure in chrome. Once I am less busy I will get it working in firefox.

kitch9

Banned
Angry Fork said:
How is it my fault that I died if some loser hiding in bushes so people can't see him kills me? This doesn't make any sense. How am I going to get to a point without running in the open? Should I fly and then drop down on it? Or dig a hole underground then dig up into the point?

Sounds like you camp and get mad when people call you out on it because you know deep down you're a bad/cheap player who'd do anything to keep his uber-impressive k/d ratio.

I take my time, and I press for my objective. The bushes are a valid tactic and they are there,,,,, shhh, don't tell anyone by the way, as its a secret, are you ready?

TO USE AS COVER so the attackers have a way to the objective without running around in the open like bellends only to die in a hail of bullets.

Dmax3901

achapel said:
Sorry, haven't had time to mess with firefox. It works for sure in chrome. Once I am less busy I will get it working in firefox.

So after a while of saying 'retrying...' the beta client started up and it said joining server, then it the client closed itself and the game manager window minimised as well :(

djm

Angry Fork said:
So what would you prefer, people on defense run in the opposite direction of the objectives they are supposed to be defending? I hate dying multiple times to the same guy sitting in the same spot too, but it's a part of being on offense.

If there wasn't any chokepoints whatsoever that gave defense a bit of an advantage, the offense would just win every single time.

And yeah, I've used the bushes to sneak up on people holed up behind rocks on several occasions.

Top Bottom