• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

hiverbon

Neo Member
thuway said:
I'm just not impressed with this engine. :-/

I honestly feel like Killzone 3, Uncharted 2, and Gears 3 look better.

I would love to see this type of game made in the Killzone 3 engine. Killzone has fantastic animations, amazing gun models (why do these gun models look so boring), and incredible art.

There is just something completely sterile about this game.

That's the art style and the level, the engine is perfectly capable. Killzone, Gears and Uncharted are far more stylistic than Battlefield, which is aiming for authenticity. Maybe realism isn't your bag?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Foliorum Viridum said:
For some reason BF3 has started to use 100% of my CPU which means the game is basically like a slideshow.

It's run like a dream for the rest of the beta and nothing has changed on my PC. Any ideas?
They did a server side patch that might be causing something odd to happen on your end.

You should probably report it on their forums since they seem to only have a 1-2 day turnaround time on fixes.

Klocker

thuway said:

I would love to see this type of game made in the Killzone 3 engine. Killzone has fantastic animations, amazing gun models (why do these gun models look so boring), and incredible art.

the maps fill up with vehicular battles and size that those other games can not match

MNC

Framerate definitely seems improved on. Full server, same settings, I now get about 50-60fps instead of 40 in the subway.

I do think Rush is being made a lot worse by the large amount of people who don't appear to know wtf they are doing.

But it still sucks compared to conquest.

MrPing1000 said:
I do think Rush is being made a lot worse by the large amount of people who don't appear to know wtf they are doing.

But it still sucks compared to conquest.

It's also made worse by the map itself. It's mediocre by any battlefield standard.

Nirolak said:
They did a server side patch that might be causing something odd to happen on your end.

You should probably report it on their forums since they seem to only have a 1-2 day turnaround time on fixes.
Possibly.

I've made a thread on their forums, so we'll see.

Makoto

I think it's safe to say the netcode is worse than alpha. I'm not even safe in cover unless I've spent a full second behind it. Before that second though, I'm practically fair game for the lag.

Yea no mortar in beta. I think im done with the beta though. Gotta beat a few other games and the beta bores me. Ill play again if they unlock caspian however.

georgc

vidal said:
I think it's safe to say the netcode is worse than alpha. I'm not even safe in cover unless I've spent a full second behind it. Before that second though, I'm practically fair game for the lag.
This X1000000 live still getting hit long after I'm in complete cover

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
jaaz said:
The subway section of Metro can be a blast with a good team. Crank up the sound and get involved in a huge firefight... it's pretty awesome.
It can be amazing if you're in a teamworking squad and actually playing vs a teamworking enemy. Very good map for tactical gameplay

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
thuway said:

I don't remember those games having massive maps with vehicles combined with real time destruction. There's gonna be trade-offs somewhere if it has to run on outdated hardware.

jacobs34

Say what you will about the visual fidelity of this game on 360/PS3, but the sound is out of this world. Playing this game with my AD700's on is just sonic bliss, easily the best sound in any game I've ever played in this genre.

-GOUKI-

thuway said:

No engine is going to make animation, models and art better lol. Thats up to the artists to do it. Honestly you people act like the visuals of a game are completely dependent on the game engine.

Soma

Ooooh the AEK-971 is pretty damn good in this game. Me gusta.

F#A#Oo said:
Do we keep our stats for this beta for full release?

The stat tracking is impressive on the site... :D
Apparently no.

gembel said:
how do i use flashlight and health packs?? for both PC and PS3 versions.

thanks

Only played PS3 here, but if you've equipped your flashlight to your gun it's on automatically. Health packs is left on the D pad.

gembel

Inferno313 said:
Only played PS3 here, but if you've equipped your flashlight to your gun it's on automatically. Health packs is left on the D pad.

i equipped the health pack, then i pressed R1 and it threw it away.. wth?

TCRS

Banned
The PKP Pecheneg ROCKS!! 200 bullets per magazine (with the ammo extra) and reasonable accuracy.

I just love the support class. Next thing to unlock: mortar strike! woohoo!!

I need help. I downloaded the Beta on Origin and everything, but whenever I click the orange "ready to install" button, it turns to an "installing" button for a split second and then turns back to the "ready to install" button, and nothing happens. So I essentially install the game. Is there a fix for this?

Sorry if this problem has already been identified and a fix has been posted, but I just don't have the time to search through the threads.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If you guys thought the UMP was OP, try the AEK. Perfect accuracy, no recoil, and good stopping power. Cool reload animation, too.

Upon running BF3:

2dwbvhy.jpg

Upon attempting to change my password:

v66elg.jpg

Oh joy... been like this since I got home from work at 3:30pm (central).

Woorloog

Banned
TCRS said:
The PKP Pecheneg ROCKS!! 200 bullets per magazine (with the ammo extra) and reasonable accuracy.

I just love the support class! Next thing to unlock: mortar strike! woohoo!!
It isn't in the beta. You unlock nothing essentially.
The M249 with Extended Mag, Red Dot Sight and Bipod is awesome. Like it more than the PKP.
M419 seems to be better than either M16 or shitty AK-74. (AK-74 might work if it had more damage or if the fucking hit detection would work). At least people use M419 a lot...
Flash Suppressor seems to be useless. Reduces accuracy... Urgh, hit detection being laggy, urgh. Hate it.
Why no G36 in this game? Don't like G36C :/
So far M27 IAR and M4 are my favorite weapons, for some reason M4 feels better than M16.

Oh and starting to hate Recons. (Again, hate them in BFBC2 already). Most people suck at sniping, they don't use the radio beacon and are generally stupid with it.

Recon

Banned
Ughh. there is no marker above anyone in my games, how the fuck can i distinguish enemies at a distance..wtf is going on.

Ezduo

Banned
iam220 said:
Well, its not Freeman's flashlight, it's supposed to be blinding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_light
Seems pretty worthless to me. It's a giant "I'm over here, shoot bullets in my direction" sign right over you and whoever happens to be standing near you. I have trouble spotting enemies sometimes with all the shit going around, I've never had trouble immediately spotting some guy on the other half of the map spotting a flashlight.

ReconYoda said:
Ughh. there is no marker above anyone in my games, how the fuck can i distinguish enemies at a distance..wtf is going on.

That was happening very often to me these past few days randomly...I thought it was how the game was and was pissed at how shitty it was until I finally joined a server where the indicators actually showed up.

Does anyone know if it is a glitch, or server settings?

NBtoaster

Ezduo said:
Seems pretty worthless to me. It's a giant "I'm over here, shoot bullets in my direction" sign right over you and whoever happens to be standing near you. I have trouble spotting enemies sometimes with all the shit going around, I've never had trouble immediately spotting some guy on the other half of the map spotting a flashlight.

It really shouldn't default to on.

Ezduo

Banned
timmytheman123 said:
Oh sweet the dying around corners bullshit is back. Wouldn't be a dice game without it.
Hah, I noticed this too. Didn't see it at first but today I was being shot at, immediately went prone behind a wall and about a second or two later died. So far hasn't been as bad as Bad Company 2 yet though that just may be because I haven't played this as much.

Woorloog

Banned
timmytheman123 said:
Oh sweet the dying around corners bullshit is back. Wouldn't be a dice game without it.
Happened quite a lot in CODBLOPS as well i think. And in Halo Reach even, though rarely.
I hope they get it fixed for retail... or at least get it fixed at some point...

Ezduo said:

"used to temporarily blind and disorient targets"

AKA your own team/squad LOL

TCRS

Banned
Woorloog said:
It isn't in the beta. You unlock nothing essentially.

Darn..

I haven't really used the M249, I'll try it tomorrow (almost 2am here in the UK...). My favourite support weapon so far has been the RPK. I've unlocked nine sights for it. I don't like the M27 though.

And yeah, I hate these snipers. But let them have their fun with their one-hit kill wonder... I'll soon have my revenge in the full game.

gl0w

I dont know about you guys, i know that there is many bugs and glitches on the beta, but, i'm having a lot of fun with it. Graphics are not that bad, and i'm sure that they will be much better on final version. (PS3 version here)

Played several games tonight, and it was awesome. I love a lot the intense battles on the subway part, and yes, can be a lot of destruction in there . Rooms completely destroyed.

Also, i'm doing pretty well, UMP-45 + M145(3.4x) + SQD SPRINT + SMAW + EOD BOT = win win

+10000k points at the EOR :D

-GOUKI-

I don't think anyone has mentioned this problem but its a major issue. Is it just me or can teammates PUSH YOU!?!?!? There's no reason why a teammate should shove you into the line of fire when they bump into you.

Woorloog

Banned
-GOUKI- said:
I don't think anyone has mentioned this problem but its a major issue. Is it just me or can teammates PUSH YOU!?!?!? There's no reason why a teammate should shove you into the line of fire when they bump into you.
Yeah, it is very, very annoying.
TCRS said:
Darn..

I haven't really used the M249, I'll try it tomorrow (almost 2am here in the UK...). My favourite support weapon so far has been the RPK. I've unlocked nine sights for it. I don't like the M27 though.

And yeah, I hate these snipers. But let them have their fun with their one-hit kill wonder... I'll soon have my revenge in the full game.
M27 should be treated as a heavy assault rifle i think. Foregrip, Red Dot/Holo, and something else (i use laser IIRC), move with others and support them. More offensive weapon whereas PKP and M249 are more defensive weapons, at least when used with bipods (why wouldn't you?)

I don't like RPK-74 nor AK-74 since they feel so inaccurate and they don't seem to have more stopping power compared to their US counterparts. Maybe without hit lag...

I really want to use Mortar against Snipers in the full game...

-GOUKI- said:

Yeah, teammates can collide with you and essentially push you in the direction they are moving. Obviously, this can be pretty annoying when trying to arm/disarm a MCOM station, throwing a grenade, firing a rocket or taking cover. While I hope this is a bug and will be fixed for retail, something tells me this is actually a feature and DICE somehow managed to think this is a good idea. I hate it with a passion.

Yeah, the AK-47 sucks balls, at first I thought it was me, but then I'm doing much better with the M16.

Primary starting weapons for both sides SHOULD have identical stats, for fucks sake.

Makoto

-GOUKI- said:
I'm sorry but if players are capable of pushing players then they need to increase the amount of force for the push. I'm tried of players blocking doorways.

Top Bottom