• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

El'Kharn

Relaxed Muscle said:
Yeah, the AK-47 sucks balls, at first I thought it was me, but then I'm doing much better with the M16.

Primary starting weapons for both sides SHOULD have identical stats, for fucks sake.

No. An AK is not a M16, deal with it :p
Seriously tho i'm having more luck with the AK for some reason i do not understand

Recon

Banned
Question, since most my attachments are on ak-47, does that mean i cant use them on the m16, or do i have to unequip them? Because im missing an insane amount of attachments if not.

Mr. Snrub said:
http://f.cl.ly/items/3B3M3o0R461Q3G461f0T/lol.gif

I will rage if the 64 player version doesn't make significant changes to the layout of the map. So fucking lazy.
significant change = make park narrower

what would REALLY be awesome is if 64 players had the map changed so you could trave above ground over the subway area and they had flags above ground AND in the subway.

that's way too fucking awesome for DICE to do though.

Amir0x

Banned
This game has a lot of glitches right now.

But in terms of big problems, there are only a few.

The most fucking ANNOYING one is how close teammates spawn to you if you're squad. They spawn on you so close that let's say you're prone and you're sniping/scoping, they just shove you so far (the clipping pushing your character away from the people spawning on you) that you lose aim instantly. In several instances it even resulted in my death, as it exposed my position and I fell off a little rock cliff making me easy fire. They need to have your squadmates spawn in a slightly further radius from you.

But other than that and the around corner bullshit, it's so refreshing to play after the shallow and unbalanced Gears of War 3. The core game is quite obviously going to be ace, maybe after a few patches.

Definitely excited about my purchase now

DTKT

ReconYoda said:
Question, since most my attachments are on ak-47, does that mean i cant use them on the m16, or do i have to unequip them? Because im missing an insane amount of attachments if not.

Attachments are per gun.

Yep, another great design decision by DICE. Instead of making a fun unlock progression, they just pad it.

Anybody else having contoller sensitivity problems? It seems loose compared to bc2.

Edit: it seems too high when scoped/sighted in bur not high enough when hip hiring

Makoto

Totally late to the party, I know. Why didn't I catch this in the alpha?

IUoWm.jpg

Running this for the first time and I'm having some jarring issue. It feels like my game is running in windowed mode even when I check full screen in the menu. It's really difficult to describe, but it's irritating the hell out of me. Anyone happen to know what I'm talking about? I'll try to think about a better way of explaining it, but it just doesn't feel right.

MisterAnderson said:
Upon running BF3:

2dwbvhy.jpg

Upon attempting to change my password:

v66elg.jpg

Oh joy... been like this since I got home from work at 3:30pm (central).

I was having trouble with this too, the EA Profile page just wasn't responding.

What finally worked for me was clicking on the "Forgot Password?" link on the Battlelog page.

meppi

timmytheman123 said:
Anybody else having contoller sensitivity problems? It seems loose compared to bc2.

Edit: it seems too high when scoped/sighted in bur not high enough when hip hiring
Yep. It's actually the one thing that worries me about the game as it doesn't feel like a bug but like it was designed to be like this.

Absolutely hate it.
Still not sure of it's a problem with just scoping in, but it sure looks like they added momentum to the aiming of the guns.
One second it feels like they aren't responding to the pressure you put on the analogue stick, and next thing you know, your sights are swinging all over the place even though you didn't push the stick any harder.
That part is really screwed up, especially since BC2 nailed it.

Makoto

Mr. Snrub said:
No, that's the same damage bug--they specifically stated over and over that there are no OHK sniper rifles, unless it's a headshot.
Was this bug resolved in the update or is it still present?

iam220

Anyone else getting horrific animation bugs, especially death animations? Sometimes upon killing an enemy he would fly off to the side at incredible speed. Or twist and bend in really strange ways.

timmytheman123 said:
Oh sweet the dying around corners bullshit is back. Wouldn't be a dice game without it.

I don't think its avoidable when the hit detection happens on the client side. It's either that or adjusting your shots based on ping.

ARGGGG it crashed on me after I killed the entire team by flanking them with the pkm. I was in the process of killing the final one and bingo crash and driver message.

Im going to do a driver clean and reinstall anyone know a good way to go about this ?

Makoto

Maybe, just maybe Digital Illusions, everyone could have the defib from the beginning? I have a feeling no one is bothering to revive because their so used to not having it in the first place so when they do unlock it, they neglect equipping it.

How do I fix my hud? It's offscreen. Resolution is 2650x1600. Anyone have this issue?

Anytime a new map starts, the game starts in Windowed mode. There the HUD looks file. When I hit ALT+TAB, it goes full screen buy my hud is half off the screen completely. Any ideas?

Izayoi

Banned
Rubixcuba said:
I can't take it anymore GAF.

I've seen way to many "driver has successfully recovered" error messages today. I give up.
You have unstable hardware.

It's possible that your GPU is dying.

Salsa

Game's alright, feels like a better BC2 (wich i guess i should expect) and less like BF2. Beta is glitched to hell though, and that's expected but still a shame. Half the players were getting stuck into the prone animation and sliding through the map, lol. I dont think i'll be playing too much of it, but i have to say finding servers in Brazil and Chile was a nice surprise.

rdrr gnr

SalsaShark said:
Game's alright, feels like a better BC2 (wich i guess i should expect) and less like BF2. Beta is glitched to hell though, and that's expected but still a shame. Half the players were getting stuck into the prone animation and sliding through the map, lol. I dont think i'll be playing too much of it, but i have to say finding servers in Brazil and Chile was a nice surprise.
Nope, that's just prone.

Max

I am not Max
Mendelevium said:
Don't know how that's not obvious.
It isn't obvious whether or not the SOLDIER will be wiped. I'm not asking about stats.

I never got a chance to select a name for my soldier, it just defaults as your Origin name, that's why I'm wondering.

big_z

timmytheman123 said:
Oh sweet the dying around corners bullshit is back. Wouldn't be a dice game without it.
There's also a lot of areas where you have clear aim at someone but can't hit them because the bounding box on the geometry is off. Then they'll shoot you once and you die.

SalsaShark said:
If only you didn't miss out on Caspian.

Ok I am back in this. Still feels like people die to quickly. I got comfortable with the health and damage of BC2. This still feels too fast.

Alex

Is it supposed to suck? Not feeling this at all.

They did some good work with the shooting and hit models, but yeah, the overall package is a bit meek with this little development time left. The visual oomph isn't there for me as well, it just smacks of trying too hard and not focusing on more important things (clarity, anti-aliasing, etc) and it's overwrought lighting and post processing has clearly scaled down very poorly to the consoles given what people are saying.

So many annoyances with just the UI alone, I mean I can't map keys at all or even change my options without being in-match and alive? I could live with the somewhat awkward/clunky Korean MMO-styled browser based matchmaking if I at least had more power in it.

They picked some really, really bad shit for the beta as well. Why am I in some corridor map playing Gold Rush? Did I mistakenly download the Bad Company 3 beta? This is not what a mainline Battlefield game should be like for me. =/

It's a console series now, despite the kiss-ass they try to play with the PC community, but if they'd just focus on the things they do well rather than awful single player modes and trying to cuss out Call of Duty while copying it's homework they'd be better off.

Lostconfused said:
Ok I am back in this. Still feels like people die to quickly. I got comfortable with the health and damage of BC2. This still feels too fast.

No... don't say this! I love the speed in which you die, I think it's absolutely perfect the way it is, I like the way that you drop... yes it means that you die faster, but it just means that you've got to change your play style a bit, you've got to slow down the pace that you move at, and play a bit more tactically.

Listen to what I say, and you will play better, believe me, slow down, check corners, move slowly, clear rooms and aim carefully and put bursts into peoples chests and they will go down before you as long as you hit them first, and don't stay locked in position, keep moving otherwise you're sure to get flanked. Be sure to switch to your pistol when you run out of bullets when you're near a fire fight otherwise you will die (obviously trying to hide while someone knows you're there and you try and reload is a death sentence) but I think I'm probably sounding condescending by now...

All I can suggest is slow you're game down, and hit the deck as soon as you notice that someone has spotted you... and unfortunately, due to the way Metro is, if you come up upon someone with a shotgun inside the train station part, you're a dead man lol.

Schlep

Yeah, this beta scared the shit out of me. I'm glad to know it's a junk mode that I won't have to play in the retail game. I don't want Call of Duty and Counter-Strike's inbred, retard baby.

Lostconfused said:
i agree, it feels like its on hardcore. maybe its just this map but the enemy base is too close and the map is too small. the game feels too nob friendly to me. The pace needs to be slowed down just a little bit so a player can be more tactical.

TheJerit

hey guys, got my card straightened out for a bit (4850s in xfire just wasn't smooth at all so went to one card) and starting to play for a bit.

add me: TheJerit

going to pick up a 5850 tomorrow for the cheap. oh yes.

Alex said:
They did some good work with the shooting and hit models, but yeah, the overall package is a bit meek with this little development time left. The visual oomph isn't there for me as well, it just smacks of trying too hard and not focusing on more important things (clarity, anti-aliasing, etc) and it's overwrought lighting and post processing has clearly scaled down very poorly to the consoles given what people are saying.

So many annoyances with just the UI alone, I mean I can't map keys at all or even change my options without being in-match and alive? I could live with the somewhat awkward/clunky Korean MMO-styled browser based matchmaking if I at least had more power in it.

They picked some really, really bad shit for the beta as well. Why am I in some corridor map playing Gold Rush? Did I mistakenly download the Bad Company 3 beta? This is not what a mainline Battlefield game should be like for me. =/

It's a console series now, despite the kiss-ass they try to play with the PC community, but if they'd just focus on the things they do well rather than awful single player modes and trying to cuss out Call of Duty while copying it's homework they'd be better off.

Personally I completely, absolutely, wholeheartedly disagree. I think they've done a perfect job of evolving the series, obviously they're not going to make it just like Battlefield 2 because it's Battlefield 3, and obviously they have created Bad Company 1 and Bad Company 2 (and other games) since then which all influence the development of the game - personally I think this is an amazing and brilliant rendition of where DICE has come, it's like the absolute of everything that they've done. It's got just enough BF2 and just enough BC2 feeling to please fans of both, but absolutely heaps of new feel to be BF3 on it's own, to me it feels completely different to both those games in enough of a way to be considered the high point of the series for me by far... I doubt that could be disputed.

I don't know if you've had a chance to get on Caspian Border yet, but perhaps that would change your opinion, but I would still feel the same way having only played Operation Metro knowing that these mechanics will be brought to the big wide open battle fields that I know and love... I just can't wait.

Some of the conflicts that I've had in Caspian are just pure sex... better than anything I've experience in any other game before. Those things would have never been possible before without this engine and these graphics and it's all because of the foliage and the way the level works. Being able to hold down the 'forest' position by myself against many more opposition through smart play, and wiping out a squad, getting them pissed off, getting them to come back and expect you to be in the same position but move to another position (it's so good and easy to play stealthy in this game, especially when you use things like the suppressor and various other 'stealth' tactics) but out of range of the flag, let them cap the flag, pick them off again, cap it back, they've spawned while you move again, and pick them off again while they're running around looking for you - rinse and repeat for a whole map. They got me a few times, but I think it must have been 8 guys + against me and another guy at one stage and we held down that forest position by ourselves for the whole map and it was one of the best things I've ever experienced, and that's just a small section of one map.

Then there's the hilltop with all the various ways of attack, flanking and funneling, the tower, the checkpoint, the gas station, they all have their own little 'wars' going on at each one and then the infinite different things in between, and then there is the war going on in the sky with the jets, the vehicle battles between checkpoints, it's just pure unadulterated amazingly awesome... and that's just ONE MAP! We don't even know what the other seven maps are, and then there are the four classic maps being re-made... my god, it is just pure fantasy to think about those BF2 maps with this level of detail, and I just can't wait to play them...

This game is going to own my life... I am not going to cope when the Beta goes away, although I'm not playing it 100% of the time while I'm awake I just like knowing that it's there... <3 and fap fest for BF3 over.

Top Bottom