• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

gibon3z said:
I would love that. Delay the game. Polish the crap out of it. Release it early next year.

Edit - Eric do post :) I'm always up for watching a good match.

There's no way they will do that. They want to release before MW3.

big_z

MisterAnderson said:
There's no way they will do that. They want to release before MW3.

yeah but all the negativity around this beta has basically killed new comer interest in the game so getting it out before mw3 isnt going to win anyone over at this point. imo they would be better off putting out a quality product early next year when interest in mw3 has thinned and those players are ready for something different.

Dang... the 870 is one beastly little bird... I love that damn thing, put it with the Recon and the mobile spawn point and get yourself in amongst the enemy in op metro and just keep running around killing them as they burn towards the cap points... they never expect people to have pushed up amongst their ranks... damn it's so good, just a beast of a weapon!

One thing I really dislike is the squad system... there is no way to choose the squad you're in, I dislike that immensely, it should be exactly how it was in BC2, none of this "find a squad" shit, let me choose which squad I'm in, I hate the squad system and I hope it's just temporary.

big_z said:
yeah but all the negativity around this beta has basically killed new comer interest in the game so getting it out before mw3 isnt going to win anyone over at this point. imo they would be better off putting out a quality product early next year when interest in mw3 has thinned and those players are ready for something different.

What? There is negativity around the beta? Really? Is it because it's buggy etc? IMO people are being too picky about a product that is still a ways out from release... is it because people think that it won't be ready in time? It will be ready in time... the game has come SO far since the Alpha... that said, I'm only judging it by the PC version and I don't give a rats arse about the Console version, or the sales, I know that what I'm going to get out of it is everything I'm going to get out of it, but it's never going to beat MW3, but so what? The game's aren't for everyone... the biggest this is that this just rocks all over MW3 so hard that no matter what happens MW3 is going to seem outdated and old and stale, but it will still sell more in the start, who knows what will happen over the long run...

We still don't even know what the other levels will be like in BF3, wonder what Caspian Border Rush will be like... :)

Nekrono

Alucrid said:
The sound in this game is just....impeccable.
THIS!!!!... playing on a 5.1 surround sound here and this game sounds AMAZING!!!

Not only does the sound equalization across all speakers is superb but the actual game sounds are top notch, this is easily THE BEST sounding war game ever made and actually I think it's the best sounding game period for me, I would even say it sounds better than a lot of war movies out there.

Fjordson

ColonialRaptor said:
What? There is negativity around the beta?
A ton it, seems, over the console versions. I know GAF likes to forget that the consoles exist, but all the talk from EA about "going after MW 3" will end up a whole lot of nothing if 2 out of 3 versions are lackluster.

Personally, I'm enjoying it on 360. I'm not sure why people were expecting it to compare to the PC version visually (hasn't really happened here, but I've seen people complaining about this on other sites). And I don't think anyone really though it'd end up selling more than MW 3, so meh.

demolitio

Nothing like getting 4,000 more points than the next best player in a match. People need to realize that getting the objectives is beneficial to you instead of sitting back hoping to get 10 kills a game on the attacking side by hoping an enemy is stupid enough to rush out in the open near your position. I don't care about my KDR and I only care about the win, but that still doesn't mean you can't kick ass in that category too if you're a rusher. I went 36-11 in the game I was talking about above and I armed most objectives by myself and just used clever spots to cover it from.

Other games I still go 18-3, 24-5, etc. even when rushing as an attacker. Camp all you want on defense (as long as the team tried to defuse charges) but don't waste space on the attacking side by playing selfishly. Cover the objective or the guy arming it if you don't want to rush. Don't just set up shop and aim only for the guys in their spawn, but try to help out.

This game is insanely fun with a decent team and it only requires 4 or 5 good people to pull it off. Winning as an attacker feels better than any other thing in this game.

I'm sure most people already know this but I only tried it tonight. The RPG will take down most of the trees in the park. As a defender at A with a guy resupplying me just once, I was able to take out most of the trees on A side with 8 rockets. Makes defending that side a breeze.

Longshot

I can't believe people are actually complaining about a beta, the game is definitely going to have a day 1 patch on release. What's the big deal?

I'm having a blast on PC, anybody know a high quality screenshot grabber apart from FRAPS? I don't want to lower my fps. I wanna post my specs in the performance thread.

big_z

keep forgetting to ask this but is there a way to make crouch a toggle on the pc version? prone toggles but you have to keep your finger on the key to stay crouch which sucks since it gives me crab hands after a while.

zedge

Is it just me or did the player names disappear? Playing on PC, can't tell whos who.. WTF

big_z said:
keep forgetting to ask this but is there a way to make crouch a toggle on the pc version? prone toggles but you have to keep your finger on the key to stay crouch which sucks since it gives me crab hands after a while.

Use X to crouch toggle, found this out by accident.

big_z said:
Try to press X.

KorrZ

The 360 build of this beta is an utterly horrible fucking mess. The more I play it the more I'm just ready to write the game off completely. Team mates crawling up next to me just as I'm about to get a disarm and shoving me off to the side so I not only lose my disarm but I also get shot and killed. Getting shot around corners. Some terribly inconsistent hit detection or lag or I don't fucking know but why I'm getting killed by an SVD in one shot to the chest when everytime I pick it up it's 2 chest shots is fucking absurd. Shotgun shoots from all the way at the top of the escalators to the bottom and kills someone in one shot, takes 3 shots right in someones face. UMP is apparently gods gift to the world with fucking 3 shot hits with a submachine gun from longer range than the assault rifles.

Falling through the world in so many spots it's unreal. Graphical glitches out the fucking ass, I'm seeing bullet trails sticking around in the air when people shoot, a constant annoying fucking flashing when you sprint. Everytime my buddy hits the commit suicide button the whole game turns blue screen. Using the IR sensor and when you unscope everything stays green and orange... I could go on and on and on. This game is supposed to come out in less than a month? Hah.

big_z

KorrZ said:
This game is supposed to come out in less than a month? Hah.

EA is so set on competing with COD they will push BF3 out in turd form. They shouldnt because this needs a delay but this is EA.

like you im not not happy with the console offering. the pc one is a lot better but still broken. i want to preorder for the bonus maps but now im holding off. if we start hearing about massive improvements when press get their copies i'll preorder otherwise i might hold off for a few months until dice finishes the game.

Moaradin

Game really needs spawn on squad leaders only and a better squad management. Game is great though and Caspian border was probably better than any other FPS I've played in years.

darkwing

its funny when your squad mates respawn at you when you are prone, you get 'pushed' forward and out of your cover and you die , it feels like they spawn out of your ... XD

KorrZ

big_z said:
EA is so set on competing with COD they will push BF3 out in turd form. They shouldnt because this needs a delay but this is EA.

like you im not not happy with the console offering. the pc one is a lot better but still broken. i want to preorder for the bonus maps but now im holding off. if we start hearing about massive improvements when press get their copies i'll preorder otherwise i might hold off for a few months until dice finishes the game.

Unfortunately my PC isn't even close to good enough to play this. I have a PS3 so I could try that version I hear it's better but still fucked. I'm thinking at this point I'm just going to wait a few weeks after it comes out and if I hear even a slight fuss about some of this stuff not being fixed EA and DICE can fuck off.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dreams-Visions said:
Up to level 21. Quite enjoying myself atm and I haven't played anything but the Assault class.

Damn fine.
Recon is like Assault, but fucking amazing. Try it.

Mk11 is easily the best starting class weapon.

wwm0nkey

Ok so me and my friend where playing the 360 beta and got to the final stage as attackers
We held off the entire team single handedly at that part, we headed up to the top level of the building and let the bullets rain down. Was probably one of the most epic Battlefield moments we have had. I went 42/10 and he went 29/13.

Amagon

I think I'm done with the beta and gonna go back playing my backlog collection til the retail game hits. This beta is like crack to me.......gotta stop, lol.

THE NO LIFE KING said:
I think I'm done with the beta and gonna go back playing my backlog collection til the retail game hits. This beta is like crack to me.......gotta stop, lol.

No kidding man.. I can't put it down. Just discovered the magic that is the 870/laser/SLUGS. Good lawd the slugs are amazing! Also the G18(fully auto glock 20 rd clip) does crazy amounts of work.

Rad-

Gave the beta another try. Still not feeling it at all and I was such a huge BF2 fan. The console version just feels so unpolished in many ways. BC2 looked better graphically and felt more of a BF game. That's really saying it all, at least for the console versions.

However I'm still going to buy it because there's no conquest here. And that's what BF is all about, I don't understand their point in trying to push Rush as the new shit.

And before people say this is just a beta etc etc. Remember that Gears 3 beta was based on like 6 month old version? And it was basically retail quality. This beta is just too close to the release and it scares me in its current state.

Longshot

Rad- said:
Gave the beta another try. Still not feeling it at all and I was such a huge BF2 fan. The console version just feels so unpolished in many ways. BC2 looked better graphically and felt more of a BF game. That's really saying it all, at least for the console versions.

However I'm still going to buy it because there's no conquest here. And that's what BF is all about, I don't understand their point in trying to push Rush as the new shit.
Have you tried the PC version? I'm loving it.

MGHA

Rad- said:

Dont judge it on Metro. get a chance to play Caspian Border, trust me, you'll pre order twice.

Stallion Free said:
Recon is like Assault, but fucking amazing. Try it.

I don't know how I feel about that. I played a few rounds of "recon as assault" and owned because fo the gun damage . . . . deadly at both range and CQB. If they want to let players play this way, they either need to tone down the damage for semi's to assault level, or add more scope sway when you zoom in on the move.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SirButterstick said:
I don't know how I feel about that. I played a few rounds of "recon as assault" and owned because fo the gun damage . . . . deadly at both range and CQB. If they want to let players play this way, they either need to tone down the damage for semi's to assault level, or add more scope sway when you zoom in on the move.
Scopes are lame.

Red dot 4 lyfe.

Sigma Storm said:
I can't believe people are actually complaining about a beta, the game is definitely going to have a day 1 patch on release. What's the big deal?

I'm having a blast on PC, anybody know a high quality screenshot grabber apart from FRAPS? I don't want to lower my fps. I wanna post my specs in the performance thread.

The big deal is people keep forgetting that this is at minimum a 1 month old build, maybe even a 2 month old build. People also keep forgetting that during the last 3 months of a project, people are working basically 2-3x their normal schedules, so they're going to get roughly 6-8 months worth of work done between the time this build was generated and when the game actually ships.

I have some advice for anyone who thinks it's better business for them to wait and ship after MW3 - Don't major in business.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I hate that you can't change squads in game or even view them. Fuck that's annoying.

So i'm still a recon shotgun user with slugs, Nothing has changed since BC2 :D

Stallion Free said:
Scopes are lame.

KOBRA 4 lyfe.

fixed

evlcookie said:
I hate that you can't change squads in game or even view them. Fuck that's annoying.

So i'm still a recon shotgun user with slugs, Nothing has changed since BC2 :D

Yes! Use the tactical insertion mobile spawn point to constantly flank and shotgun rape the opposition, it is glorious.

big_z

Mendelevium said:
Dont judge it on Metro. get a chance to play Caspian Border, trust me, you'll pre order twice.

yeah but he's playing on console and the console versions look quite a bit worse than the pc version set to low. Caspian Border is even more demanding in terms of hardware so i cant imagine the console version looking very good.

Longshot

Stallion Free said:
God I hate that weapon.

Every time I see a Recon, he's always using it, and he seems to always 1 shot kill me, even though I have to shoot them in the chest twice just to kill them. The same applies for the SV98, I always get 1 shotted, but for me it's always 2, unless they're very accurate shots.

Doesn't feel right.

Sethos

Banned
The Mk11's starting scope is a joke compared to the SVD, I was tearing up people in CQB with the SVD and then I tried the Mk11 - Had to change class, quickly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sethos said:
The Mk11's starting scope is a joke compared to the SVD, I was tearing up people in CQB with the SVD and then I tried the Mk11 - Had to change class, quickly.
Both scopes are shit. No scope till RDS, then RDS till Kobra.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
sw33tclyde said:
Yes! Use the tactical insertion mobile spawn point to constantly flank and shotgun rape the opposition, it is glorious.

So true. The movement detection thingy doesn't seem very useful at all, I do miss my throwing balls.

Khal_B

The more I play the beta, the more I'm enjoying it, honestly. And I only got a chance to play Metro. Really looking forward to the rest of the maps when the game hits. Besides the bugs, the only real gripe I have is that I wish it took a bit more bullets to put down an enemy and vice-versa.

I don't know if it's just me but I swear before I used to see enemy names and (lifebars?). Now I'm just seeing character models and I'm having a hard time differentiating between enemies and allies. Did I turn something off by accident?

woober said:
Part of what I enjoyed and what made BF2 so great is the sense of freedom you feel. You don't have to always shoot someone to have fun. When I first stepped into Caspian Border... I just stared in awe. I watched jets in a dogfight, rolled over the hills going top speed with the jeep, and after unlocking the EOD bot for the engineer class, I really feel like the variety of stuff is there to keep things interesting.

A friend of mine unlocked the MAV (mobile uav) and mobile spawn point, both of which I feel will make conquest mode very dynamic. Imagine leaving a spawn point at certain hotly contested flags. When the enemies think they have captured it, you spawn right back in and take the control point from them. It's hard to put everything into words, but some of the gadgets you get and conquest itself is something you have to try for yourself.
Agreed, upon release I'll be going into empty servers and checking out all of the levels and I can't wait to explore and fuck around and find every little crook and nanny. It's also worth doing because it helps you during real matches too, so you know of the best spots etc

nitric0

bf32011100102424947.jpg
:D

Khal_B said:
The more I play the beta, the more I'm enjoying it, honestly. And I only got a chance to play Metro. Really looking forward to the rest of the maps when the game hits. Besides the bugs, the only real gripe I have is that I wish it took a bit more bullets to put down an enemy and vice-versa.

I don't know if it's just me but I swear before I used to see enemy names and (lifebars?). Now I'm just seeing character models and I'm having a hard time differentiating between enemies and allies. Did I turn something off by accident?
It's a bug, or perhaps a server setting, I'm not sure...

Certainly makes it hard though, especially if team kill is on...

Top Bottom