• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

MechDX

360 version is pathetic, even for a BETA. Gonna download the PC version and see how it runs. My only concern is my GPU.

Quad core AMD Athlon II
6 GB RAM
Radeon HD 5750

Longshot

ColonialRaptor said:
Agreed, upon release I'll be going into empty servers and checking out all of the levels and I can't wait to explore and fuck around and find every little crook and nanny. It's also worth doing because it helps you during real matches too, so you know of the best spots etc
=P

I totally agree, gonna do the same thing, I wish the game had a Direct IP feature so me and my mates could do our own thing from time to time. I love Battlelog to death, but it sure makes good DRM.

longdi

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I hope those damage levels aren't a "bug" but are actually Dice's realization that using 15 bullets to kill enemies isn't fun.

neither is using 2 bullets! CODish instant gratifications pfft!

Nabs

Stallion Free said:
I hope those damage levels aren't a "bug" but are actually Dice's realization that using 15 bullets to kill enemies isn't fun.
Yeah, I'm liking the damage model, but they really need to improve this netcode.

Good late night games with chapel and ejas. Was having a weird issue where my roommate would try to join my game and I'd be kicked as he joined. Thanks to chapel, figures out it was a port issue. THANKS BRAH.

For the record, SCAR-H with holo, foregrip, and suppressor is my new love. So goddamn good.

Izayoi

Banned
Huh, I guess Colonel is the highest rank.

After that I only see Colonel with a golden 1 underneath it, and I assume it goes up from there.

battleloggcov.png

Stallion Free said:
This. Cries for decreased damage are crazy, unless in reference to the bugs. Demize said long range kills would take 5-6 shots, so it would be no more than that as a max. That was like the average in BC2.

Izayoi

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
This. Cries for decreased damage are crazy, unless in reference to the bugs. Demize said long range kills would take 5-6 shots, so it would be no more than that as a max. That was like the average in BC2.
Did he specify with what weapon? Damage feels fine as it is now. I definitely don't think that it should be toned down.

Izayoi said:
Did he specify with what weapon? Damage feels fine as it is now. I definitely don't think that it should be toned down.
Basically, the bugs are: all weapons have inconsistent damage, the chest area occasionally has a damage multiplier that it shouldn't, headshots don't always do the damage they should, and sniper rifles do OHK damage to body when it should only be headshots.

DSN2K

Ive come to the clear conclusion the most impressive thing in this game is the sound, its truly unreal and ahead of every other game out there.

Mr. Snrub said:
Basically, the bugs are: all weapons have inconsistent damage, the chest area occasionally has a damage multiplier that it shouldn't, headshots don't always do the damage they should, and sniper rifles do OHK damage to body when it should only be headshots.
That is why so many people play recon. Overpowered sniper rifles.

Izayoi

Banned
Gen.Grievous said:
That is why so many people play recon. Overpowered sniper rifles.
The bolt actions never one-shot on body for me, only chest up. The semi-autos (sans the SKS) are two-shot kills anywhere.

Heppell

Banned
Sometimes it says please quit a game is running when im trying to join a server which i think i dont. Does anyone else had the same problem?

JB1981

I feel like there are less ambient battlefield sounds that liven up the battlefield. Less chatter from teammates, snaps from bullet fire etc

DSN2K said:
Ive come to the clear conclusion the most impressive thing in this game is the sound, its truly unreal and ahead of every other game out there.

It has taken the well deserved crown of BC2. So they keep it in the family:)

red731

Wow. Just got home from walk, had lunch, fire up the beta on PS3 and get killed five times by two glitchers under ground next to mcom.
I said fuck that shit and now up to another beta.
Will not cancel preorder, wasnt even thinking about it because the game is fun, but still...
Why do people ruin game experience for others I just dont know.

Ubersnug

Fuck the haters, I'm having an absolute blast with this on the 360. Also, the UMP-45 with RDS is fucking godly!

That is all.

Woorloog

Banned
Fjordson said:
Whoa, the UMP! Bad ass weapon right here.
I see everyone claiming this but it feels like shit. Bad iron sights, only 25 round mag, doesn't seem to be more poweful or accurate compared to other weapons.
Oh and it looks ugly.

_woLf

Has this been posted yet? If it has, sorry. Just saw this and figured I"d share.

dice.jpg

I understand that gamers should accept it's a beta, but come on, some shit is just unacceptable. And I absolutely cannot stand when CM's pull out the "It's not a right, you're lucky we do this for you because we totally don't have to" card.

CozMick

Banned
I must say that being called a beta is an understatement.

At first it was the second coming of christ but the more you play it the buggier it gets.

Invisible floors, trees disappearing, textures flashing, the entire screen turning purple, white and orange. clipping beyond the imagination, unbelievable tearing, ragdolls that make the "kinect avatars" look realistic. urgh!

CozMick said:
I must say that being called a beta is an understatement.

At first it was the second coming of christ but the more you play it the buggier it gets.

Invisible floors, trees disappearing, textures flashing, the entire screen turning purple, white and orange. clipping beyond the imagination, unbelievable tearing, ragdolls that make the "kinect avatars" look realistic. urgh!

360 Yes?

CozMick

Banned
Jarrod4321 said:

Yeah, all those problems are from the 360 version, the PS3 has the tearing, clipping and flashing colours but I've yet to see the invisible floors and disappearing textures.

_woLf said:
Has this been posted yet? If it has, sorry. Just saw this and figured I"d share.

dice.jpg

I understand that gamers should accept it's a beta, but come on, some shit is just unacceptable. And I absolutely cannot stand when CM's pull out the "It's not a right, you're lucky we do this for you because we totally don't have to" card.

Yah, He was a real douche in that post.

CozMick said:
Yeah, all those problems are from the 360 version, the PS3 has the tearing, clipping and flashing colours but I've yet to see the invisible floors and disappearing textures.

Oh dont worry invisible floors definately feature in the PS3 version too.

desu

_woLf said:

Thats from before the beta started, because everyone was complaining that we just get Metro. He is an idiot anyway ...

big_z

_woLf said:

http://thesilentchief.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/dice.jpg[IMG]

I understand that gamers should accept it's a beta, but come on, some shit is just unacceptable. And I absolutely cannot stand when CM's pull out the "It's not a right, you're lucky we do this for you because we totally don't have to" card.[/QUOTE]

is there a link to this post? hopefully people told him to stfu and realise the game is a god damn mess.

_woLf

big_z said:
is there a link to this post? hopefully people told him to stfu and realise the game is a god damn mess.

I can look. It's supposedly from the EA UK BF3 forums.

edit: here's a thread of people talking about it: link

Apparently the actual thread where he said that was deleted.

Spookie

big_z said:

A mess? Hardly. Red Orchestra 2 is a fucking mess. BF3 is going rather well now they have turned off terrain deformation. Still some issues with the screen flickering white occasionally but at least it runs like shit off a shovel with everything on max.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I haven't found a scope that works all that well with the shotgun yet, It's safe to say there isn't one. Not a huge issue though, I seem to be doing better headshots without one :D

Spookie

evlcookie said:
I haven't found a scope that works all that well with the shotgun yet, It's safe to say there isn't one. Not a huge issue though, I seem to be doing better headshots without one :D

I don't even aim for the head, it does that much damage you might as well go for the easy hit.

Speaking of damage, holy shit those pistols are good. :eek:

Rainy Dog

Woorloog said:
I see everyone claiming this but it feels like shit. Bad iron sights, only 25 round mag, doesn't seem to be more poweful or accurate compared to other weapons.
Oh and it looks ugly.

I agree that it's not that great either. Packs a punch at close range but has plenty of recoil plus low fire rate, and the less bullets per mag as you mention.

The iron sights are fine though, so much more usable than those in BC2 anyway. Looks miles better than it does in that too, but that's from a compared to real life perspective I suppose.

Speaking of iron sights... It's great that DICE have finally learned how to model usable one's, but why no benefit to sticking with them or penalty for not? In BC2, it was trade-off between popping a scope/sight on the gun or having more ammo, explosives etc. Here's it's just scopes galore with no compromise required.

NBtoaster

Spookie said:
A mess? Hardly. Red Orchestra 2 is a fucking mess. BF3 is going rather well now they have turned off terrain deformation. Still some issues with the screen flickering white occasionally but at least it runs like shit off a shovel with everything on max.

Is terrain deformation actually off? Explosions still make holes in the ground.

Momo

Banned
Just played 6 rounds or so.

The first 5 rounds my team was utterly dominated. We slowly started learning, then on the 6th game playing as defenders we stopped the attacking team at objective B at the first hurdle. It was masterful how we chocked out that point against superior players by just using some teamwork and sticking to our jobs.

n0n44m

Rainy Dog said:
I agree that it's not that great either. Packs a punch at close range but has plenty of recoil plus low fire rate, and the less bullets per mag as you mention.

The iron sights are fine though, so much more usable than those in BC2 anyway. Looks miles better than it does in that too, but that's from a compared to real life perspective I suppose.

Speaking of iron sights... It's great that DICE have finally learned how to model usable one's, but why no benefit to sticking with them or penalty for not? In BC2, it was trade-off between popping a scope/sight on the gun or having more ammo, explosives etc. Here's it's just scopes galore with no compromise required.

high zoom scopes give off this huge glare that says "HAI GUYS IMMA SNIPER, SHOOT HERE FOR INSTANT HEADSHOT"

but yeah normal scopes don't have penalties. Though in real life every army seems to be going for scopes over iron sights as well right?

and yes the UMP is good but hardly godlike (or is everyone else using single shot/burst with it?)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Spookie said:
I don't even aim for the head, it does that much damage you might as well go for the easy hit.

Speaking of damage, holy shit those pistols are good. :eek:

I've found it takes 2 to 3 hits from say mid to long range for someone to die but a head shot is still a 1 hit kill. I would say most of my shotgun kills are from mid to long range. 323 kills with the 870 so far and 81 have been head shots.

I guess it's a habit i've brought over from BC2 where it was the NS2000 + slug for long distance = lots of head shots.

_woLf said:

dice.jpg

When they pull the whole "it's a privilege" it pisses me off. No EA, It's a privilege to have your fans beta test your piece of crap software right now. Don't act like you're doing us the favor.

If they are putting it out there out of the "kindness of their hearts" so that we can try it out then it shouldn't be qualified as a beta, it's a demo. A horrible demo.

NBtoaster

I just played a round or 2 of BC2 and now I remember why I don't like it. It's pretty clear to me how much more refined BF3's gameplay is, and how much better even op metros design is than the majority of BC2s maps.

_woLf said:

dice.jpg

Haha, its also a right for me not to by your game that is full of jank less than a month before release. What a douche.

F#A#Oo

Banned
NBtoaster said:
I just played a round or 2 of BC2 and now I remember why I don't like it. It's pretty clear to me how much more refined BF3's gameplay is, and how much better even op metros design is than the majority of BC2s maps.

I smell a CoD player who supports linear corridor maps as opposed to open maps...hmm...

Top Bottom