• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vidal said:
Well, besides using this as evidence because I'm not at all convinced that they truly were trying to keep these a secret from the public.
A Gaffer spent the duration of one round in game to write a plugin that could just bypass the passwords all together.

LordCanti

vidal said:
What exactly does it being browser-based have to do with it?

Maybe I'm jumping the gun in blaming this current hack/exploit/whatever on it being browser based, but it seems likely enough to me. A few of us talked with the guy that figured out how to bypass the password protection, and he made it sound like there was a lot more he could do using just javascript.

If this current hack is happening because the server files leaked or something, I digress. The speed with which they are taking the servers down is pretty troubling though, considering that they've threatened to ban any poor bastard that found his way onto one.

iam220

They really need to fix the way the sorting in the server browser works. It's sorts on the local data instead of doing it the proper way and getting a new list from the server. Now if I want a proper sorting a have to scroll down and make sure all additional servers are loaded in first. Really annoying.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
How to do well in the beta, pick support go prone and kill everyone.

Unless they patch all the bullshit (weapon damage, firing through rocks etc) think I might just cancel my preorder.

Stallion Free said:
A Gaffer spent the duration of one round in game to write a plugin that could just bypass the passwords all together.

Great security, I tell ya! Wait until punkbuster is enabled... that's when all hell will break loose and require a couple of shoddy servers and plugins to ban the living hell outta you.

Ikuu said:
How to do well in the beta, pick support go prone and kill everyone.
My engineer and my brother's recon says "Watchu talkin' about, Ikuu?!"

Makoto

LordCanti said:
considering that they've threatened to ban any poor bastard that found his way onto one.
But this isn't correct, what EA is saying is that if someone who went into a hacked server and had their stats/unlocks modified, then they may ban them. For the modified stats/unlocks. Which makes sense.

Marco1

Absolutely loving this on PC.
This is the first game that will make me want to join an on-line clan.
Usually I just drop in and out of on-line games.

desu

vidal said:
But this isn't correct, what EA is saying is that if someone who went into a hacked server and had their stats/unlocks modified, then they may ban them. For the modified stats/unlocks. Which makes sense.

Why? Its their job that stuff like this doesnt happen. They fucked up!

Ikuu

So from what I can tell the UMP is absolutely amazing, not sure if I can be bothered playing long enough to find out.

matt05891

Just played conquest on Metro... SO much better then rush. Haven't realized how much I missed BF2. I might install it again haha

vidal said:

Getting into hacked server = server altering your stats or providing unlimited ammo or unlimited health or whatnot = getting banned.

Getting into hacked server = getting banned.

Everything with Battlefield 3 is such a step back from Bad Company 2, let alone Battlefield 2. Sucks that I'm hooked on Battlefield gameplay and is the only thing keeping me from cancelling all of my preorders.

Makoto

shagg_187 said:
Getting into hacked server = server altering your states or providing unlimited ammo or unlimited health or whatnot = getting banned.

Getting into hacked server = getting banned.
Nah, it's pretty obvious that they mean Modern Warfare 2 fire-one-round-and-get-to-level-50-instantly type of stats/unlocks modification that carries on to legit servers. People who are experiencing temporary unlimited ammo in weapons in the hacked server and the hacked server alone won't have anything to worry about.

TCRS

Banned
On the 360 I can't play with more than two people in one squad :/ The third one always gets kicked out or his xbox freezes up. Annoying as hell.

edit:
Just happend to me now. 360 froze. RAAAAAAAGGEE!!!

FoggyFreek

BoobPhysics101 said:
They need to fire this guy, he's a fucking disgrace and he's always treating the community like we're a bunch of red-headed stepchildren, except for the 'valuable' contributors that he thinks are so special, and gives stuff like Caspian Borders passwords to.

Your open beta is a privilege? We, as consumers, giving you our money is a privilege. Douchebag.

"I'M IN SUCH A BAD MOOD, I CAN'T EVEN READ THE FORUMS! IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU FUCKERS WHO WANT TO PLAY OUR BETA AND BUY OUR GAME! FUCKIN RUININ MY MOOD N SHIT"

Why fire him? He is absolutely right. 99% of players actually don't understand how much devotion, energy and time it takes to create a game like this. These people hack server files and go screw up the game as much as they can. They also like to bash every NEGATIVE thing about the game they worshipped just weeks ago. They can't get it into they BLOODY minds that this is a BETA and this game is still in development.

If you knew a bit about programming and big projects like this, you would know that a lot of software branches are working on different stuff. They all merge and come together in the end. Thing is with this BETA that they had to cut these branches at a certain point and merge them. Next they had to make the merge work as it's, ofcourse, work in progress. Then came the certification process for putting this on PSN / XBL.

Now you know, the build we are playing is at least a month old. Your jabbadiejabbadie about we give you money! (40 Euros!!! OMG!!!, That's a big investment!) is just wrong. WRONG.

In hindsight. The only thing DICE did wrong is release this BETA. But then again, if they didn't the whole system wouldn't have been tested so intesively as it's being tested by thousands of players right now. Even more people would have bashed the game screaming, 'You should have released a BETA!'

Yes, i know this is a 'Somebody on the internet is WRONG' kinda post. But please people. This is a video game. about 50 people are working on this game to make it the best in the world and they have to work under great stress, deadlines and pressure from their publisher because marketing is making overhours and the release date is set in stone.

Get yourself together.

Put yourself back on your feet and realize this is a videogame. Please don't lose your head and yes : grow up.

Legato.Reborn- said:
http://twitter.com/#!/zh1nt0/status/120182322803900416

FUCK ME FUCK ME OH SHIT OH SHIT FUCK FUCK
this bullshit wouldn't be happening if they simply activate caspian again.

ps, how did you get in!?
i have the courage of a lion right now! RAWR!

Gvaz

Banned
Browser anything just opens up lots of bad shit. By making server through game and obfuscating code, you can prevent tons of hacks.

FoggyFreek said:
Why fire him? He is absolutely right. 99% of players actually don't understand how much devotion, energie and time it takes to create a game like this. These people hack server files and go screw up the game as much as they can. They also like to bash every NEGATIVE thing about the game they worshipped just weeks ago. They can't get it into they BLOODY minds that this is a BETA and this game is still in development.

If you knew a bit about programming and big projects like this, you would know that a lot of software branches are working on different stuff. They all merge and come together in the end. Thing is with this BETA that they had to cut these branches at a certain point and merge them. Next they had to make the merge work as it's, ofcourse, work in progress. Then came the certification process for putting this on PSN / XBL.

Now you know, the build we are playing is at least a month old. Your jabbadiejabbadie about we give you money! (40 Euros!!! OMG!!!, That's a big investment!) is just wrong. WRONG.

In hindsight. The only thing DICE did wrong is release this BETA. But then again, if they didn't the whole system wouldn't have been tested so intesively as it's being tested by thousands of players right now. Even more people would have bashed the game screaming, 'You should have released a BETA!'

Yes, i know this is a 'Somebody on the internet is WRONG' kinda post. But please people. This is a video game. about 50 people are working on this game to make it the best in the world and they have to work under great stress, deadlines and pressure from their publisher because marketing is making overhours and the release date is set in stone.

Get yourself together.

Put yourself back on your feet and realize this is a videogame. Please don't lose your head and yes : grow up.

I disagree.

DICE is not the only video game company out there that has "about 50 people are working on this game to make it the best in the world and they have to work under great stress, deadlines and pressure from their publisher because marketing is making overhours and the release date is set in stone". You don't see Activision saying "Fuck you! Grow up! It's just a video game!". You don't see JStevenson committing suicide when GAF declared Resistance 2 as biggest disappointment of the year. Community Manager's job is keeping people happy by providing a promise and hope and hype. This guy ain't providing anything.

Take a chill pill and do realize what you stated: it's a video game.

Gvaz said:
Browser anything just opens up lots of bad shit. By making server through game and obfuscating code, you can prevent tons of hacks.

Exactly. Any script kiddie out there can play around with browser and fuck shit up. There are hundreds of games out there with dedicated servers; you don't see devs stating that joining them will get you banned. I never faced such problem in Bad Company 2. Not only that but everyone's browser is different, plugins are different, add-ons are different. You can NEVER test a browser-based application and make it 100% safe. Facebook games suffer from this shit and devs are on constant lookout at patching them. DICE will face the problem too.

bf32011-10-0122-57-36-z86x.jpg

bf32011-10-0123-06-16-rr7f.jpg

No clip server, what a mess, but also awesome for arty farty screenshots.

iam220

shagg_187 said:
Great security, I tell ya! Wait until punkbuster is enabled... that's when all hell will break loose and require a couple of shoddy servers and plugins to ban the living hell outta you.

Eh? The security is crap because the javascript is in charge of determining whether or not a game can be joined.

The password issue can easily be fixed if the password gets passed into the game client and there's another check with the actual server.

I don't think it has anything to do with punkbuster or any in-game hacks.

shagg_187 said:
Exactly. Any script kiddie out there can play around with browser and fuck shit up. There are hundreds of games out there with dedicated servers; you don't see devs stating that joining them will get you banned. I never faced such problem in Bad Company 2. Not only that but everyone's browser is different, plugins are different, add-ons are different. You can NEVER test a browser-based application and make it 100% safe. Facebook games suffer from this shit and devs are on constant lookout at patching them. DICE will face the problem too.

Browser based applications can be just as safe as any natively executable client. The only difference in browser based application is that the front-end code is more easily exposed. Otherwise its the same shit. If you allow the client to make decisions that it has no business making than you're going to have an insecure application , no matter what platform you have it on. The turn-around for hacking a browser based app is just faster because the code is more exposed. That's all.

FoggyFreek

shagg_187 said:
Take a chill pill and do realize what you stated: it's a video game.

Yeah, i guess you're right. I just can't stand reading all that negativity. Especially as it's just plain rude in some cases. Haters gonna hate ey?

I'll do one more round then.

Ikuu

FoggyFreek said:
Yeah, i guess you're right. I just can't stand reading all that negativity. Especially as it's just plain rude in some cases. Haters gonna hate ey?

I'll do one more round then.
The beta is a complete mess and all the negativity is justified.

mr_nothin

Banned
FoggyFreek said:
Why fire him? He is absolutely right. 99% of players actually don't understand how much devotion, energy and time it takes to create a game like this. These people hack server files and go screw up the game as much as they can. They also like to bash every NEGATIVE thing about the game they worshipped just weeks ago. They can't get it into they BLOODY minds that this is a BETA and this game is still in development.

Get yourself together.

Exactly what I wanted to type but I didnt feel like putting the time/energy into it. People are being overly negative about every single minute aspect of the game.

shagg_187 said:
I disagree.
You don't see Activision saying "Fuck you! Grow up! It's just a video game!".
Where do you see DICE doing this?

mr_nothin said:
Exactly what I wanted to type but I didnt feel like putting the time/energy into it. People are being overly negative about every single minute aspect of the game.

Again. Disagree. Yes, he has every right to be pissed off but so do the players. It's an "investment" and anyone and everyone investing their trust in a system deserve a straight-forward answer rather than getting bitched about it.

Don't like the posts, EA? Hire more moderators for your forum. Don't like people bitching about a game? Fix it or deal with it and say "We apologize you feel this way. We'll try to fix it in the future."

mr_nothin said:
Where do you see DICE doing this?

ibnMTmkBwn93uW.jpg

mr_nothin

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Again. Disagree. Yes, he has every right to be pissed off but so do the players. It's an "investment" and anyone and everyone investing their trust in a system deserve a straight-forward answer rather than getting bitched about it.

Don't like the posts, EA? Hire more moderators for your forum. Don't like people bitching about a game? Fix it or deal with it and say "We apologize you feel this way. We'll try to fix it in the future."

dice.jpg
I saw that post and I dont see where he's saying "fuck you" or any of that stuff you wrote. Betas are a privilege, whether DICE benefit from it or not. They don't have to do it. He also said it's not a privilege if you pre-ordered or bought medal of honor...it then makes you entitled to play it because they now have an obligation to you. You really think they had to make this beta open? They could have just restricted it to ppl that bought MoH or just had a closed beta where they randomly chose ppl or something.

Also, DICE pre-faced the whole beta by saying that most of the problems people will see are already fixed. And do you ever check the NEWS section? They have posted things that have/will be fixed by release.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/devblog/view/2826551895458193965/

They went on to explain what a beta was and what you should expect coming into this.

mr_nothin said:
I saw that post and I dont see where he's saying "fuck you" or any of that stuff you wrote. Betas are a privilege, whether DICE benefit from it or not. They don't have to do it. He also said it's not a privilege if you pre-ordered or bought medal of honor...it then makes you entitled to play it because they now have an obligation to you. You really think they had to make this beta open? They could have just restricted it to ppl that bought MoH or just had a closed beta where they randomly chose ppl or something.

It's all about the message, not the choice of words. You can tell someone "ungrateful people, grow up" or you can tell someone "fuck off". The message is the same.

Well it was fun until the possibility of your account getting banned turned out to be tangible.

Wasn't planning on buying anything from Origin, but now I'll buy things even less.
Their systems being this easily exploitable/them screwing things up so fast... And the best part is I can apparently lose access to everything tied to the account, due to EA fucking up and absolutely no fault of mine.

mr_nothin

Banned
shagg_187 said:
It's all about the message, not the choice of words. You can tell someone "ungrateful people, grow up" or you can tell someone "fuck off". The message is the same.
Ummm, nah it's not the same.
When I read grow up in the post that he typed...I read it as him telling ppl to act more mature and understand that they cant just do everything at the click of a button. They have to go through a process even for the smallest things. Understanding/empathy is a part of getting older and being mature.

Everybody did sound like a bunch of whiny kids who needed to grow up and understand how things work before they start bitching so much.

ultron87

The starting weapon for Assault on USA has an entirely separate unlock progression from the starting weapon for Assault on Russia? Really?

That's the stupidest thing ever.

Stallion Free said:
It's been incredibly easy to exploit thus far. The passworded servers were a complete joke.

While true, it has nothing to do with the server leak.

shagg_187 said:
[]https://i.minus.com/ibnMTmkBwn93uW.jpg[/IMG]

This keeps being reposted and yet people don't even know the context. That was before the beta started and related to the fact that the beta was gonna be on the Metro map again.

iam220

ultron87 said:
The starting weapon for Assault on USA has an entirely separate unlock progression from the starting weapon for Assault on Russia? Really?

As far as I can tell every weapon has separate unlocks.

AndyD

aka andydumi
ultron87 said:

I thought this was odd too. But I can understand that each gun is different. And unlocks seem to come fast every 10 kills or so I think. It will be annoying once it gets to advanced unlocks though.

_woLf

The fact is that in all versions of the beta whether it be on console before you start the beta or on PC in the battlelog, DICE is reminding you to preorder the game. They're trying to sell you Battlefield 3 based on what you play here, and they've been treating this entire ordeal like a demo, not a beta. Their reaction to the community trying to get the most out of the beta, on top of being shocked at how unstable it is given that we're less than 4 weeks until launch, is extremely unprofessional. They're acting like children who got their macaroni art thrown in the trash instead of put on the fridge.

What were they expecting us to say, "your game is amazing, nothing is wrong at all, shutupandtakemymoney.jpg"?

tsigo

DICE whining about the whining is pretty funny.

Guys, this is what you chose to present as most players' first hands-on experience of your game. You should have made it as good as you possibly could have or not released it at all. At the very least you should have used a more current build. Right now you're probably getting a bunch of bug reports that are invalid or have already been fixed months ago. Nice use of a beta.

ultron87

iam220 said:
As far as I can tell every weapon has separate unlocks.
I assume the advanced weapons are shared between the two sides. So that's fine.

The fact that I can be on one team and have 4 things unlocked for my gun or be on another team and have 1 unlocked is dramatically stupid.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Deadly said:
I'm already kinda sick of Metro... I mean I still enjoy Port Valdez even to this day and I played it alooot during beta... Must be the lack of vehicles

Same here brother, Port Valdez was an instant classic... played more the beta than the final game lol. But this Metro shit... 1 day and i stopped playing. There better be some massive maps in the final!

desu

Metalmurphy said:
This keeps being reposted and yet people don't even know the context. That was before the beta started and related to the fact that the beta was gonna be on the Metro map again.

And that changes what? People were just saying what everyone was thinking...

AppleMIX

_woLf said:
What were they expecting us to say, "your game is amazing, nothing is wrong at all, shutupandtakemymoney.jpg"?

Constructive criticism and being a complete asshole are two completely different things.

iam220

Metalmurphy said:

So he's basically saying "stop bitching, our priority with the beta is QA and not players experience". Sounds reasonable. The message itself was not really delivered in a professional manner, but other than that I don't see how people can argue with what his trying to convey.

mr_nothin said:
Betas are a privilege, whether DICE benefit from it or not. They don't have to do it. [/url]
It's called marketing. They're not doing us a bloody favor out of the kindness of their heart, this is part of the marketing campaign.

desu said:
And that changes what? People were just saying what everyone was thinking...

Changes alot. You think you we're the ones that gonna choose what map to play? If it was up to everyone that's complaining we'd have everything on the beta. Every map, every unlock, every level, etc.

Top Bottom