• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Jburton

Banned
Fersis said:
Played some matches (PS3):
+ Looks great. (But im not a GFX 'easy lady' so yeah..)
- Dat bugs
- Boogs
- Flashlight blinding you in the middle of day... from 20 meters away!
- Wonky damage model (Demize confirmed that a couple of bugs are the reason)
+ BEST FPS GAMEPLAY EVERRR!!111!
+ Godlike sound
+ Fast hit detection
+ Micro destruction

DAY ONE!

This!

Favourite MP shooter this gen (so far).

Pre-ordered already.

Ezduo

Banned
Well, I just did matchmaking and it put me in a hacked server. I'm not sure how Dice can justify doing shit to anyone's account when their own matchmaking system is part of the problem.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Ezduo said:
How does that even work exactly? You have to set up squads before you enter the game? And if you don't you're basically stuck in whatever squad they put you in? I don't understand.

That sounds like what's going to happen.

That's fucking terrible and stupid. This battlelog love needs to stop.

mr_nothin

Banned
MutantCyborg said:
Did DICE take down all of the Caspian Border servers? I can't seem to find one now that the Beta is working kind of correctly.

Also, WTF is with this most recent patch enabling Motion Blur and making you not be able to turn it off?
What recent patch?

desu

Ezduo said:
Well, I just did matchmaking and it put me in a hacked server. I'm not sure how Dice can justify doing shit to anyone's account when their own matchmaking system is part of the problem.

We will see, people are very vocal about that on the official forums and I doubt that will go by unnoticed. For the sake of DICE I can only hope they will include BC2 like squad controls.

mr_nothin said:
What recent patch?

Same, I hear about these patches all the time, but I havent seen a single one yet.

MrBig

evlcookie said:
That sounds like what's going to happen.

That's fucking terrible and stupid. This battlelog love needs to stop.
It's almost making me glad that I'm relegated to getting this game on 360

VariantX

Just had a bug to crash my system on 360. Was playing defender on the second to last area before you get out of the subway and all of a sudden my framerate dropped from 30 to 10-15 and would not go back up to 30 even if i looked at the floor or stared at a wall. Game kept grinding until it became a sub 10fps slideshow and then proceeded to crash my xbox after I died and went back to the loadout menu.

Calcaneus

Tried the beta for the hell of it on the PS3. Didn't seem that buggy to me. Looked just okay, must be a lot better on the PC.

Not my kinda game though, I'm already playing through a FPS right now so I don't think I'll be getting this.

Ezduo

Banned
Just played a match where two snipers appeared to be prone but were moving as if they were sprinting. God damn Dice, come on. They just sat there and spawn camped the entire round and even when we killed them they'd come back since it was a bitch and a half to hit them moving like they did.

djm

Ezduo said:
Just played a match where two snipers appeared to be prone but were moving as if they were sprinting. God damn Dice, come on. They just sat there and spawn camped the entire round and even when we killed them they'd come back since it was a bitch and a half to hit them moving like they did.
I want to see a Youtube of this. It sounds super lame, but hilarious.

Angry Fork

I was raging so fucking hard right now at this douche in a game I was in. He was doing nothing the entire round he would sit behind some rocks in the beginning of the map trying to snipe people but he wasn't helping anything when the bombs were attached and shit. Anyway he was a squad leader too so he was wasting a spot, people were spawning on him and it just ended up spawning them at the beginning of the map.

So anyway then we get underground and this fucking idiot is kneeling moving slowly forward when NOBODY ELSE is around. Like I'm watching him as I'm dead he's the only squad leader alive but he's nowhere near the action. Then he goes on top of some ledge and just lays there hoping to see someone to snipe and I'm raging I tell him to stop camping like a little bitch and move forward/do something and he doesn't respond. He eventually dies I spawn at him and knife him until he dies, then I do it again when he spawns, then continue the game as normal since I felt justice was served.

Am I taking the game too seriously or do you guys hate when people play like that as well and don't help the objectives/do nothing.

Nekrono said:
Apparently you friend list on battlelog will be wiped after the beta for the final release.

Ugh that's pretty shitty. Stats and all that I understand but why friend list and the platoons we have already set up? ffs.

Nekrono

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Ugh that's pretty shitty. Stats and all that I understand but why friend list and the platoons we have already set up? ffs.
Yeah man, I thought would be stats only.

I guess I'll have to add a bunch of gaffers again.

Violater

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Just checked out their forums and it's a bigger mess than this beta.

Iq0y1.jpg

Oh my... lol

ok the last one got me spit all over my screen

Something that has started to annoy me is the voices used in this game. Before I heard something along the lines of "Be advised, I errr, I think I spotted enemy infantry err yes I did". What is this?

Also where are the glorious shouts of MEDIC on the field when someone goes down? Where's the ammo / health request feature gone. Mega Sadface :(

Nekrono

HotHamWater said:
Yeah, zh1nt0 said pretty much everything on Battlelog will be getting reset.

Q&A here (full of people talking over each other).
Yep that's where I got it from.

Also, DICE is aware that the minimap SUCKS! and it seems to be fixed in the final build.

Derrick01

Banned
Angry Fork said:
I was raging so fucking hard right now at this douche in a game I was in. He was doing nothing the entire round he would sit behind some rocks in the beginning of the map trying to snipe people but he wasn't helping anything when the bombs were attached and shit. Anyway he was a squad leader too so he was wasting a spot, people were spawning on him and it just ended up spawning them at the beginning of the map.

So anyway then we get underground and this fucking idiot is kneeling moving slowly forward when NOBODY ELSE is around. Like I'm watching him as I'm dead he's the only squad leader alive but he's nowhere near the action. Then he goes on top of some ledge and just lays there hoping to see someone to snipe and I'm raging I tell him to stop camping like a little bitch and move forward/do something and he doesn't respond. He eventually dies I spawn at him and knife him until he dies, then I do it again when he spawns, then continue the game as normal since I felt justice was served.

Am I taking the game too seriously or do you guys hate when people play like that as well and don't help the objectives/do nothing.

No I hate campers too. I really wish the sniping class would just be eliminated from these games completely as the ratio of abuse to actually being useful is like 80/20. The only thing they were even good for in BC2 was for the motion mines and the rare mortar strike.

Angry Fork

Lostconfused said:
Angry Fork
(Today, 06:55 PM)
Reply | Quote

Yes you are.
Derrick01 said:
No I hate campers too. I really wish the sniping class would just be eliminated from these games completely as the ratio of abuse to actually being useful is like 80/20. The only thing they were even good for in BC2 was for the motion mines and the rare mortar strike.
tG3Fu.png

G6r3E.png

WHICH JENSEN DO I BELIEVE. lol

Nekrono

Some dude: "Will we be able to see our ping on the in-game scoreboard?"

**awkward silence**

zh1nt0: "I'll take a look."

Doesn't sound like it from his response...

ADD THIS DICE!

Angry Fork said:
WHICH JENSEN DO I BELIEVE. lol
Well look at it this way. You either rage at some one for either being bad at the game, not knowing how to play or just being annoying for various reasons.

Or you can just spawn as recon, put down a mobile spawnpoint and move on with your life.

iam220

vidal said:
The point of a beta in the eyes of EA managers is to win people over. Fixing bugs as well, yes but they want the general public to play their game and say to themselves, "Wow, this game is quite fun, I want to buy and play the full version when it comes." EA has this view because the general gaming audience looks at betas as a sneak peek of what the final game will be. This beta is as much a marketing tool being used to win people over as it is a means of finding issues and bugs for the developers. The former is especially true when the game is about to be released less than a month.

Than why not release a demo a week before retail if you want to win people over? Why release it a month before in such a buggy state? To me the simplest explanation is the one that makes the most sense. Which is that it's a beta with the main focus on stress testing and identifying, prioritizing, and squashing the most prevalent bugs.

desu said:
Uhm, those potential buyers wont really care too much if this is called beta or demo or what YOU think the point of a beta is. I mean dice even needed to make an extra post to clarify "what a beta is". Point stands, lost opportunity.

You're right, people are judging this game based on this beta, and they're being pretty harsh about it too. Which I'm guessing is exactly why DICE has to clarify "What a beta is" in the first place.

Menelaus

Banned
Synless said:
So how are the cosole versions shaping up? I haven't been able to check them out due to Gears 3 and Ico/SotC.
Graphically, they are utter garbage. They play like Bad Company 2. I think that's pretty much it at this point.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Happy I spent as many hours as I did with the beta. Sadly it has swayed me as much away from the game as possible, though rationalizing a postponement of purchase is now much, MUCH, easier.

TrounceX

What the heck I can't launch the beta because supposedly my Nvidia drivers aren't up to date....

Except they are up to date!!

Oh it just let me into a game while I was typing this. It sat at joining server for a good 15 minutes, apparently.

Oops just kidding now it crashed.

wtf man

Deadly

TrounceX said:
What the heck I can't launch the beta because supposedly my Nvidia drivers aren't up to date....

Except they are up to date!!

Oh it just let me into a game while I was typing this. It sat at joining server for a good 15 minutes, apparently.

Oops just kidding now it crashed.

wtf man
Beta drivers?

Calibur

I've been playing now for a total 10hours, i love all the scope attachments and the way the bipod moves, but the jelly, quicksand landscape is doing my head in (don't DICE play there own game?), which version has the more bugs PS3 or 360?

TCRS said:
On the 360 I can't play with more than two people in one squad :/ The third one always gets kicked out or his xbox freezes up. Annoying as hell.

edit:
Just happend to me now. 360 froze. RAAAAAAAGGEE!!!
was playing with 4 friends in a squad on 360 several times.

darkwing

Metalmurphy said:
No. Did you not play the beta on consoles? You make your squads by game invites then you join a server.

yup, I did, but on the consoles, your squads were always split and voice chat sometimes don't work

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, there's no squad system in PC/console in this?

What the fuck DICE? :lol Are they really that worried that PS3 GAF would steamroll everyone that they have to make us bend over backwards to steamroll anyway?

Calibur said:
I've been playing now for a total 10hours, i love all the scope attachments and the way the bipod moves, but the jelly, quicksand landscape is doing my head in (don't DICE play there own game?), which version has the more bugs PS3 or 360?

So this still happens on consoles? It's weird, this was very, very common on PC at the beginning, but it seems to pretty much disappeared for me now. It did seem like it was only happening on some servers though, kinda like the lag issue on Caspian - some would play like a dream, whereas others were shitting themselves constantly.

ultron87 said:
I assume the advanced weapons are shared between the two sides. So that's fine.

The fact that I can be on one team and have 4 things unlocked for my gun or be on another team and have 1 unlocked is dramatically stupid.
ESPECIALLY when you can get auto-balanced to the same side over and over. last night, one of the people in my party defended 5 games in a row, 2 defended 4 games in a row, and my squad attacked 3 games in a row. it was crazy!

TheSeks said:
Wow, there's no squad system in PC/console in this?

What the fuck DICE? :lol Are they really that worried that PS3 GAF would steamroll everyone that they have to make us bend over backwards to steamroll anyway?
remember how wild BC1 was with squads? it's like that but WORSE!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
remember how wild BC1 was with squads? it's like that but WORSE!

OH GOD! VaderNOOOOOOOO.mp3

Don't tell me we can't choose our spawn-points in rush, either?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Gave up trying to get the game to run on PC so I've just been playing the PS3 version. I enjoy the beta, but I enjoyed the demo for Bad Company 2 way more. To call this beta rough around the edges is an understatement.

I really like the map too.

Jakeh111 said:
Why can't I connect to any games, it just sits at Joining Server. Didn't have this issue in the alpha.

I had this issue too till I ran both my internet browser and Origin as Admin. Have you tried that?

Top Bottom