• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

Just tried out the PS3 version. Quick impressions:

Pros:
-Controls feel really good, even for someone like myself who isn't the biggest Dual Shock fan, or dual analogue shooters in general.
-Love the deliberate, slower pace that comes from playing right.
-Dat sound.
-The fluid movement when vaulting over stuff or just hopping up onto higher surfaces is great. DICE certainly retains their Mirror's Edge know-how.

Cons:
-Buggy bug bugs. Screen kept flashing blue every now and then, and while in the tunnels I kept seeing what looked like fluorescent bulbs floating over peoples' heads when they fired.
-While I'm sure this is pretty darn purdy on a good PC, I really don't think anyone could hold it up as an example of the benefits of leading development with PC. Visually speaking, at least. Aside from some occasional flashes of nice lighting now and again, the visuals are fairly drab and suffer from some very distracting LOD.

Angry Fork said:
tG3Fu.png

G6r3E.png

WHICH JENSEN DO I BELIEVE. lol

I don't even know who's side I'm on.

Heysoos

What a shitty beta, really. At least on the 360. Can't play with friends. It either leaves one of us behind, fails to connect us all, or the one time it does connects us to a game it splits us up on teams. Then there's that really annoying loading black screen that stays there forever, which happens REALLY FUCKING often. I had to Dashboard 10 times earlier before I could fucking play a game.

Nekrono said:
Some dude: "Will we be able to see our ping on the in-game scoreboard?"

**awkward silence**

zh1nt0: "I'll take a look."

Doesn't sound like it from his response...

ADD THIS DICE!
I dunno who this zh1nt0 is,
but I was playing against him and we was raping us to death.
Might have just been a player with a almost identical tag , I didnt memorize it.

darkwing

Heysoos said:
What a shitty beta, really. At least on the 360. Can't play with friends. It either leaves one of us behind, fails to connect us all, or the one time it does connects us to a game it splits us up on teams. Then there's that really annoying loading black screen that stays there forever, which happens REALLY FUCKING often. I had to Dashboard 10 times earlier before I could fucking play a game.
in their tweet it says to use the battlelog for squads

Deadly

slopeslider said:
I dunno who this zh1nt0 is,
but I was playing against him and we was raping us to death.
Might have just been a player with a almost identical tag , I didnt memorize it.
He's the community manager for DICE

kendrid

Banned
darkwing said:
yup, I did, but on the consoles, your squads were always split and voice chat sometimes don't work

We have not able to get a squad into a match and be on the same team yet. WTF Dice? A squad means you plan on the same side. We can't even get two people on the same side.

Dabanton

Just had to switch this off as it was annoying me. From the people in the long grass happy to lie there the whole match to people on my team doing everything but arming the M-Coms i just had to leave the match.

That first section of Metro is shit. The next two set of M-Coms though are the best parts of the stage.

Can't wait to try out this new movement in a more open map.

Ezduo

Banned
Can we bind stuff to the mouse yet? I'd completely forgotten about it but I'd like it if I could whip out my knife easily or throw grenades without any hassle.

JoeMartin

darkwing said:
in their tweet it says to use the battlelog for squads

Myself and two friends have been playing a lot, and we'll form a party, join a game, and even tho we typically end up on the same team at least, we're rarely all together in the same squad.

Grinchy

Banned
Tried the PS3 beta again. I will admit that I did not spend long, but it really looks and plays like shit. The only thing about it that I found good was the sound. It's a shame that good sounds aren't more fun to listen to, or this game would be worth playing.

Josh7289

JoeMartin said:
Myself and two friends have been playing a lot, and we'll form a party, join a game, and even tho we typically end up on the same team at least, we're rarely all together in the same squad.
Same. Fixing the squads is absolutely vital to this game. And the more I use it, the less I'm liking Battlelog. It was nice and fast in the alpha, but now in the beta I see a fuller picture of the game, and I'm really not getting the point of putting half the game's settings and options in game and the other half in Battlelog. Plus there's Origin on top of that, so I've sometimes got two chat windows for the same person open in both Origin and Battlelog, and messages and notifications coming on screen from both Origin and Battlelog, and it gets to be a mess.

It doesn't help that just trying to form a party with my friends only works sometimes, too. The invites often just don't go through, or it says I'm already in a party with that friend so I can't join a new one, even though I'm not. Also there are no server queues, so even if I try to join a friend's already in progress game, if the server's full I'm SOL and have to keep trying to join over and over until I eventually get in. Why would they remove queues?

But damn, most importantly they have to fix the squad issue. Going by that tweet from zh1nt0, it's not even going to be a good solution either, since you won't be able to jump in and out of squads in game. =/

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I guess now we know why activation doesn't allow betas of the call of duty series...

Honestly surprised anyone does betas ever.

Ezduo

Banned
I don't understand why they would even change squads like that. Or having your unlocks not carry over from weapon to weapon or even faction to faction. They seem so asinine and I could not even begin to think of a justification for them.

Gvaz

Banned
Nekrono said:
Some dude: "Will we be able to see our ping on the in-game scoreboard?"

**awkward silence**

zh1nt0: "I'll take a look."

Doesn't sound like it from his response...

ADD THIS DICE!
For a game lauded to be "Pro PC all the way" they certainly can't fucking figure out simple PC gaming things.

Salsa

Seriously. Cant believe we have no ping in the scoreboard. Im getting some cheap deaths and i wanna find out if its my connection or not :/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SalsaShark said:
Seriously. Cant believe we have no ping in the scoreboard. Im getting some cheap deaths and i wanna find out if its my connection or not :/
There's a bug that causes random damage fluctuation and a bug that can cause your head and chest hitbox to act the same, so there are quite a few possible reasons. :lol

Salsa

Nirolak said:
There's a bug that causes random damage fluctuation and a bug that can cause your head and chest hitbox to act the same, so there are quite a few possible reasons. :lol

Oh i bet, lol. But still, wanna see how i do with these Brazil/Chile servers since im near them. BC2 had great netcode and i was playing perfectly even at 150ms+

Babalu.

what the hell is with grenades getting stuck on any little leaf or bush or freaking railing near me? i throw it up and over and it just sits there in the sky right next to me and I have to run away. and wtf is with the sniper scope glint. its soo damn annoying.

this beta is seriously annoying me badly. rush mode / tight corridor map...fuck man who the fuck likes this shit?

vaelic said:
think we'll be able to bind keys to the mouse in retail?

I really hope so, I just can't play without jump on right mouse button

plus, i've read someone's linked his Origin account to Steam. Is that possible? Legal?

Coldsnap said:
why cant you cook grenades anymore?

You never could cook grenades in Battlefield. However, if you're referring to being able to hold the grenade before throwing, you have to select the grenade first. Kinda dumb.

MGHA

Joined one of those conquest servers on metro, had a good game, disconnected. I joined a official server and I find out all my stuff is gone. My xp was set back to -290000. I am very sad right now.

"-290,000 / 20,000 - 310,000 until rank up"

Nekrono

Mr. Snrub said:
You never could cook grenades in Battlefield. However, if you're referring to being able to hold the grenade before throwing, you have to select the grenade first. Kinda dumb.
Or press "G" and immediately hold mouse 1, you will hold the grenade until you release it.

Salsa

Yeah just read and confirmed that HUD size depends on resolution, and that's beyond silly and sounds like console-version residues. Hope they fix that before release. Im playing at 1360x768 but im not 5 feet away from the screen DICE :/

Mr. Snrub said:

Allow me to blow your minds - Press G to throw the grenade and immediately hold down the left mouse button. Voila! No need to select the grenade using mousewheel or number keys.

Anasui Kishibe said:
I really hope so, I just can't play without jump on right mouse button

plus, i've read someone's linked his Origin account to Steam. Is that possible? Legal?
Yes please. Come to daddy.
That sounds sinfully delightful

Top Bottom