• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Beta: Info and Meetups [Over]

demolitio

SomeOneInaHat said:
So was all of that patching they did mean anything?
And apparently the day 1 patch that fixes problems that they didn't address in the beta is being ignored. Hell, alpha fixes are still being worked on.

Will BF3 have bugs? Of course since it's a BF tradition. Will it be better than the beta? Oh hell yes. So how can people sit there and judge the full game based on assumptions alone when this was clearly stated to be a real beta build that they explicitly stated over and over again? I get some people holding off if they don't think some bugs will be fixed, but the amount of assumptions people make is amazing as if they have the jump to conclusions board from Office Space.

Everyone mentions this isn't a real beta just because the launch isn't far off so I'm taking a guess these people know what build the beta is currently based off of and what the retail build is? Because they sure do act like it. Now there's a certain time period for a beta and what qualifies as a demo instead? What bullshit is that? I've played betas that are 3 month old builds that are made and tweaked separately way before it's launched.

It gets old seeing the same old shit about this being a glorified demo. We get it. You're skeptical and so are other people but we don't need baseless assumptions touted around like they're facts and making other people skeptical without even trying it. Don't write a game off based off a beta unless you don't like the gameplay, but don't go shouting from the rooftops that the game needs a delay if you don't know where this build is from or where retail is at. Hell, look at the post a few posts above mine who apparently "heard" it needs a delay and goes on to say it needs a delay just based on word of mouth.

The point is, no one knows what's going on in DICE right now so to jump to conclusions and writing the game off is weird. This place is always to the extreme though so I expected as much. The beta can be disappointing but don't claim to know how the retail version is based on a beta and no information...

witness

Good lord what a disappointing beta. Just an ugly fucking game on 360 and its just not nearly as fun as BC2 was. I hope the final version is better, for EA's sake it better fucking be, but right now I just deleted the beta and I'll wait for the final word from reviewers.

demolitio said:
And apparently the day 1 patch that fixes problems that they didn't address in the beta is being ignored. Hell, alpha fixes are still being worked on.

Will BF3 have bugs? Of course since it's a BF tradition. Will it be better than the beta? Oh hell yes. So how can people sit there and judge the full game based on assumptions alone when this was clearly stated to be a real beta build that they explicitly stated over and over again? I get some people holding off if they don't think some bugs will be fixed, but the amount of assumptions people make is amazing as if they have the jump to conclusions board from Office Space.

Everyone mentions this isn't a real beta just because the launch isn't far off so I'm taking a guess these people know what build the beta is currently based off of and what the retail build is? Because they sure do act like it. Now there's a certain time period for a beta and what qualifies as a demo instead? What bullshit is that? I've played betas that are 3 month old builds that are made and tweaked separately way before it's launched.

It gets old seeing the same old shit about this being a glorified demo. We get it. You're skeptical and so are other people but we don't need baseless assumptions touted around like they're facts and making other people skeptical without even trying it.

This is a glorified demo brah

I'm really enjoying this game. What's with all the negativity?

It doesn't feel very much like battlefield being a tight map with no vehicles but I think the infantry mechanics are a lot of fun.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So the party system doesn't work all that well. Didn't throw us in the same squad and since there's no squad management we can't actually all join up.

This is totally the future right here.

Also i did a 13 kill streak, Felt fucking awesome :D

Saren is Bad said:
This is a glorified demo brah

It may be in one sense, but it's also a major opportunity for DICE to work on things in a major testing environment, so it IS a Beta, they are using it as a testing and feedback environment, it will be an opportunity for them to fix a shitload of the problems.

To think that it will be in this state at launch is just crazy, the game has come SO FAR since the Alpha and that was just a couple of months ago... not even that long... SO DAMN FAR it's incredible, who knows what point in development this Beta code is in, they're probably a lot further on than this as it is. The game will be in tip top shape when it ships, and the fact that they've achieved what they have at all is a marvel in itself.

I don't see what all the negativity is about, the game is an absolutely brilliant step in the best possible direction for shooters, it's incredible and to say otherwise is just crazy.

How someone could not be completely and absolutely impressed by the sheer fanatical steps forward in technology that this game is taking just astounds me.

SirButterstick said:
You get a "Failed to Contact EA backend" error msg?

Yes.

SirButterstick said:
I was just playing on a 64p Metro conquest server . . . it's awesome.

It certainly is... none of the first Rush section, but mainly all subway and then the final section, I really like it as a conquest map, it will be great when there are proper non laggy servers and can get some proper full of 64 player matches going, it's good because it spreads out the players and you have to move back and forth a lot, I really like it... like... REALLY like it, you can really bottleneck teams in sections and stuff, a lot of tactics used for Rush will come into play. Excellent Map.

ColonialRaptor said:
It may be in one sense, but it's also a major opportunity for DICE to work on things in a major testing environment, so it IS a Beta, they are using it as a testing and feedback environment, it will be an opportunity for them to fix a shitload of the problems.

To think that it will be in this state at launch is just crazy, the game has come SO FAR since the Alpha and that was just a couple of months ago... not even that long... SO DAMN FAR it's incredible, who knows what point in development this Beta code is in, they're probably a lot further on than this as it is. The game will be in tip top shape when it ships, and the fact that they've achieved what they have at all is a marvel in itself.

I don't see what all the negativity is about, the game is an absolutely brilliant step in the best possible direction for shooters, it's incredible and to say otherwise is just crazy.

My problem is that is game is not even a month away. Which means discs get pressed within a few weeks. Tack on that these issues we are having aren't just little nagging issues, its fucking game breaking stuff. In addition, we have one (and in my opinion, shitty) map. If this map has so many issues (never got to play Caspian), then what about the other maps that we haven't even seen a screenshot of.

I dunno, it just feels so off. If you had told me this game was a year out I'd definitely believe you. But 23 days away? Eeeehhh. Game so far just screams rushed.

DTKT

Doc Holliday said:
Man gaf loves to eat crow, why can't people just wait for retail before going crazy lol

Because it's 24 days away and that they need to have a master candidate in two weeks tops. And that the Beta is really really broken. And I'm not mentioning the useless squad system, the poor excuse for a in-game map or how terrible Metro is.

Saren is Bad said:
My problem is that is game is not even a month away. Which means discs get pressed within a few weeks. Tack on that these issues we are having aren't just little nagging issues, its fucking game breaking stuff. In addition, we have one (and in my opinion, shitty) map. If this map has so many issues (never got to play Caspian), then what about the other maps that we haven't even seen a screenshot of.

I dunno, it just feels so off. If you had told me this game was a year out I'd definitely believe you. But 23 days away? Eeeehhh. Game so far just screams rushed.

Explain to me what your 'fucking game breaking' problems are? Because to me, I can't tell what you're talking about... the game works pretty much perfectly for me and being a Beta you HAVE to expect there to be bugs.

Are you new to DICE games? Were you involved in the BC2 Beta? You obviously didn't get a chance to try Caspian unfortunately...

You can't judge the game based on one level, DICE is tuning the infantry based combat balance in this Beta and Metro is a multi-faceted level and I believe it is an excellent place to "test" the game out, unfortunately it can be wearing on people to play one level over and over and over and over and over again, but that's just the nature of the beast, personally I think it would be nice if they opened up Caspian as part of the Beta but if not, I think it's a great thing to look forward to in the final game.

Again... please describe these 'fucking game breaking' problems that you speak of.

Longshot

Saren is Bad said:

DICE confirmed the Beta is old, I mean it was good to go a month ago but was held back by consoles.

DTKT said:
Because it's 24 days away and that they need to have a master candidate in two weeks tops. And that the Beta is really really broken. And I'm not mentioning the useless squad system, the poor excuse for a in-game map or how terrible Metro is.
Again, the beta is confirmed to be old and there'll be a day 1 patch, just like previous BF games.

I seriously can't believe are complaining about a free Beta, wow, what do you expect? It's free, and of course a beta is going to be buggy.

ColonialRaptor said:
Explain to me what your 'fucking game breaking' problems are? Because to me, I can't tell what you're talking about... the game works pretty much perfectly for me and being a Beta you HAVE to expect there to be bugs.

Are you new to DICE games? Were you involved in the BC2 Beta? You obviously didn't get a chance to try Caspian unfortunately...

You can't judge the game based on one level, DICE is tuning the infantry based combat balance in this Beta and Metro is a multi-faceted level and I believe it is an excellent place to "test" the game out, unfortunately it can be wearing on people to play one level over and over and over and over and over again, but that's just the nature of the beast, personally I think it would be nice if they opened up Caspian as part of the Beta but if not, I think it's a great thing to look forward to in the final game.

Again... please describe these 'fucking game breaking' problems that you speak of.

Falling through maps, shooting through rocks, proning through walls, sliding across the ground in prone, map clipping my vision, HUD dissappearing, disconnects, no squads, crashes, not being able to sight down weapons, people having death animations but still being alive

Don't get me wrong, when the game and server and Battlelog click, it's a great game. And I want it to be amazing. I just feel like in any game its seconds away from breaking, and most of the time I'm correct.

demolitio

ColonialRaptor said:

How someone could not be completely and absolutely impressed by the sheer fanatical steps forward in technology that this game is taking just astounds me.

Yes.
Agreed. Although I think there's going to be some nasty bugs that pop up early on, I'm confident they'll be patched quickly and that the game will be in a lot better shape at retail anyway. I mean, they even said they had an extensive day 1 patch that will have fixes they didn't correct in the beta due to time constraints. To say the retail game will be a mess like some say this beta is in is a pretty big assumption because we know nothing about what build the beta is and where retail's at now, not to mention the extreme crunches they're doing right now to get the game out.

I think people can rightfully hate the gameplay if it isn't their cup of tea, but don't go around convincing others who haven't even played it yet not to get the game based on those assumptions. Waiting for reviews might help, but there are people here already criticizing the game when they haven't even played the beta yet just by going off of what they heard from vocal people. Basing a game off of other's opinions always baffled my mind, especially when they can download the beta and see right now.

For me, I'm not going to call this a demo without knowing anything about what's going on at DICE right now. Like I said earlier, some teams have a separate beta build made a month or two ahead of time and then update that beta separate from the retail copy. Not to mention the fact that they don't have time to fix every bug in the beta when they could focus on the retail version. Why assume something off of a beta build when all hands are on deck for the retail? This beta has a lot of bugs, but no one knows what retail is like.

I agree that this beta probably is a little too rough to really convince people who might not follow the game, but to me, the gameplay is spectacular enough to have me excited for release more than any other game in recent memory. The advancements they've made in the genre shouldn't be overlooked by bugs in a BETA just because the word has been tarnished in the gaming industry by PR departments that want to cover their tracks just in case bugs pop up in a demo. Even then, the demo is not the final product and is still a separate build.

I guess I don't like jumping to conclusions over things instead of remaining open minded.

fin said:
Isn't the Beta build over a month old? They've already listed some of the bugs that they've fixed http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/devblog/view/2826551895458193965/

Exactly. These builds aren't side by side with the retail version. They don't have time to fix up a beta when they need to prioritize the game's launch more than anything else. They do call it a beta for a reason afterall. If this was a very recent build, I'd be willing to agree that it's more of a demo.

Negativity is better than positivity on here though.

I don't know, for me the bugs seem pretty minor and can be ironed out in three weeks. They don't seem game breaking to me, when you compare it to the state RO2 is STILL in.

Longshot

SirButterstick said:
I don't know, for me the bugs seem pretty minor and can be ironed out in three weeks. They don't seem game breaking to me, when you compare it to the state RO2 is STILL in.
RO 2 is still broken? Damn, what am I gonna play until BF 3 releases?

demolitio

Sigma Storm said:
RO 2 is still broken? Damn, what am I gonna play until BF 3 releases?
No kidding. I was hoping that RO2 would be in better shape by the time this beta ended so I could play that until the BF3 launch to get my MP fix in. Now THAT game is something I could rant about right now since we all know how that launched. :p

achapel

I think a lot of people are assuming they know what is going on behind the scenes, when they really have no idea. When a demo or beta build is created, they usually have to strip off a lot of functionality and features so that they can isolate and restrict the experience. They also have to fork the code from the main retail code base so that they can do that. In the process they create more issues and effectively have to build a separate version of the game to release early or whenever, while still developing the main version.

A lot of times, specially in this case, whenever they forked the code, they most likely had a ton of existing bugs that they either knew about and hadn't tackled yet, or hadn't found and fixed yet. They could have fixed it in the beta build but due to time and priorities the master build is always most important. There are so many complexities to doing this, that there are always issues.

I agree that the beta has a lot of bugs, some pretty bad, but they are things that can be fixed, or will be fixed. Just look at the fact that there are missing the comrose even though they confirmed it will be in the game. I doubt they are waiting until after the beta to put in the comrose, it is probably already in and wasn't ready or apart of the build by the time the beta was forked.

You can not like the beta, no one is forcing you too, but to say that the retail release is going to be just as bad, that is a stretch. The core game is great, and after playing Caspian, I am in love with the game. I cannot wait to play the real BF3 again.

On another note, these are all the commands and config things for the leaked server files:

http://imageupload.org/?d=0E51AA0B1

edit: fixed link

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
People need to take a chill pill! It's been confirmed numerous times that the beta build is way old. Imagine it undergoing cert by Sony and MS, might have taken 3 weeks to a month. That alone ensures the beta is a few months old.

And do any of you honestly think the DICE/EA will allow the game to be shipped when it's full of bugs and whatnot? I highly doubt it - this is their biggest bet in the FPS space for years now.

DICE games have generally been buggy at lunch, but they're understandably not as bad as the beta. They will fix it...this is their biggest game after all.

Yes, some betas are just glorified demos, but not this time. DICE peeps have been saying that the beta is an actual beta for months now.

If you're holding off getting the game just because of the beta, I honestly don't know what to say. I mean this is the exact same reason why devs/pubs don't want to do betas in the first place! People jumping to conclusions, etc. Complaining everything is buggy and automatically assuming the final game will be the same.

I've been in my share of betas, some buggier than this, but I keep an open mind and see what the final game will be.

It's alright to not like the game if you don't like what it offers, but to NOT like it because it has bugs, features aren't fully implemented yet, you don't like the map, control issues, etc. are not. That's just someone assuming that they think they've played the final version.

Bruiserk

DICE is such a tease. Why is Caspian Border listed under the maps, if they have no official servers for it?

Also, if I join a conquest Op Metro server, is that bannable (or negative points-able, whatever they are doing?)

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
achapel said:
I think a lot of people are assuming they know what is going on behind the scenes, when they really have no idea. When a demo or beta build is created, they usually have to strip off a lot of functionality and features so that they can isolate and restrict the experience. They also have to fork the code from the main retail code base so that they can do that. In the process they create more issues and effectively have to build a separate version of the game to release early or whenever, while still developing the main version.

A lot of times, specially in this case, whenever they forked the code, they most likely had a ton of existing bugs that they either knew about and hadn't tackled yet, or hadn't found and fixed yet. They could have fixed it in the beta build but due to time and priorities the master build is always most important. There are so many complexities to doing this, that there are always issues.

I agree that the beta has a lot of bugs, some pretty bad, but they are things that can be fixed, or will be fixed. Just look at the fact that there are missing the comrose even though they confirmed it will be in the game. I doubt they are waiting until after the beta to put in the comrose, it is probably already in and wasn't ready or apart of the build by the time the beta was forked.

You can not like the beta, no one is forcing you too, but to say that the retail release is going to be just as bad, that is a stretch. The core game is great, and after playing Caspian, I am in love with the game. I cannot wait to play the real BF3 again.

On another note, these are all the commands and config things for the leaked server files:

http://imageupload.org/getfile.php?...DA2D5793FAF5270BB&n=bf3servercommands.jpg&i=1

Exactly! I have the same sentiment as the others here have too. You can hate on the game all you want, but just hating the game based on the beta is not cool. I mean behavior like this is what causes devs to just hold closed betas in the first place.

To clarify, BF3 might not be your cup of tea and that's fine. But assuming you know what the taste of a certain tea is because you've tasted ingredients of it is way different than tasting the final, boxed tea bag. Now I need tea! :)

Also of note, still no word on Battlecorder in the server files? :)

Saren is Bad said:
Falling through maps, shooting through rocks, proning through walls, sliding across the ground in prone, map clipping my vision, HUD dissappearing, disconnects, no squads, crashes, not being able to sight down weapons, people having death animations but still being alive

Don't get me wrong, when the game and server and Battlelog click, it's a great game. And I want it to be amazing. I just feel like in any game its seconds away from breaking, and most of the time I'm correct.

All of those are such tiny issues and will be fixed before launch, I gaurantee it.

Just played a round of the beta and wasn't impressed. Game seems pretty lacklustre to me. Run up the escalator and get shot by campers, rinse and repeat. Feels just like MW2 in the way it plays. The graphics whore in me is pretty disappointed how ugly it is too. Will probably still pick it up but I was hoping for a lot more.

Nekrono

Sigma Storm said:
Dead link, dude.

Is it true EA are threatening to ban users' account if they play on unofficial server? If true that's the uncoolest thing I've heard all year, I'll just make a dummy account. Hopefully people can get Caspian Border up and running.
zh1tnt0 tweeted something about them not able to guarantee your account security.

I think he means that you can get hacked since the servers take your login info or something like that I think, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned.

Kenshin001 said:
Just played a round of the beta and wasn't impressed. Game seems pretty lacklustre to me. Run up the escalator and get shot by campers, rinse and repeat. Feels just like MW2 in the way it plays. The graphics whore in me is pretty disappointed how ugly it is too. Will probably still pick it up but I was hoping for a lot more.

What the fark it is easily the best looking game ever released, are you playing on PC?

gillty

Banned
Sigma Storm said:
Dead link, dude.

Is it true EA are threatening to ban users' account if they play on unofficial server? If true that's the uncoolest thing I've heard all year, I'll just make a dummy account. Hopefully people can get Caspian Border up and running.
Yes, through an obscure non-sticked forum post you have been warned. :p
DICE Bazajaytee said:
We are aware that a number of servers have appeared and are running game modes and player counts that have not currently been seen. Please try to remain on official servers.

Official servers run the following configuration

Max Players: 32
Map: Operation Metro
Mode: RUSH

Please avoid temptation and remain on these official servers while we work to have these servers dealt with.
Playing on those servers can cause your account to become compromised, stats to be altered or other issues to arise which may lead to having your account banned by EA.

DICE Bazajaytee said:
If your account gets banned it does mean any EA game you have on your account would also be unavailable.

DICE Bazajaytee said:
If you continue going on the servers over and over then it is a choice you are making on your own accord. Especially now you have been informed of the situation.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2826564925948154637/

Emily Chu

Banned
ctXGP.jpg
qGJCu.jpg
qw7zL.jpg
BT3xq.jpg
3TjYS.png
ZTzQZ.gif
9NYL6.png

BdH5G.gif

GcmEa.gif

achapel

Fixed the link, here it is again: http://imageupload.org/?d=0E51AA0B1

About the leaked servers, well my take is the fact that the servers can add or subtract points from your stats and generally mess with them. In fact some people have joined games and come out with -300k points, some have been jumped up to millions. I doubt EA or DICE would ban or otherwise punish people for something like joining a server, even though it is a flaw in their setup that allowed it to happen. No they are warning people that they should not join them if they care about their accounts and soldiers they have worked up. I don't see any logical reason why any user credentials would be sent to the servers, there is no need for them on the servers. Not only that, it seems the way they have built their system with battlelog and the backend was entirely to buffer the servers and have them be more locked down and out of control of the server admins.

edit: That is if you end up getting your stats tampered with. I wouldn't recommend joining one, but if you do so, do it with a separate EA account just in case. Ive played on a few leaked servers, but none have messed with my points thankfully. I have no intention to join any others but there you go. If they did honestly ban people, there would be huge backlash and they would have to back-peddle, there is no doubt about that.

ColonialRaptor said:
What the fark it is easily the best looking game ever released, are you playing on PC?

Obviously not. I can imagine it looks great on PC, but comparing it to the graphically top tier console games it is a plain, unimpressive looking piece of work. Not only is it ugly, it is generic looking. I can handle plain looking games if the gameplay is something special, but it's not really, is it.

wiggleb0t said:
Also, no disrespect, but I remember Zhinto from BFBC2, the dev who mostly (exclusively?) played the xbox version...... Yay! :| That guy has some ego problems with the way he addresses the fanbase.
Glad the dedicated console player was basically head in charge of implementing fixes and now he can hopefully bring his console crappiness to this supposed pc lead platform bf3 game.
that was Demize99, not Zh1nt0

Top Bottom